Good Guy Amazon??

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Where I live E-waste is free. in fact everything recyclable (except tires, refrigerants and mattresses) is free (even paint and engine oil is free),  However I like to offer the stuff to charity before just dumping it.

Problem is e-waste really isn't actually recyclable. It just gets put in a shipping container and shipped to China etc then put through a furnace or the poor and destitute sit over a flame with a heat pan killing themselves from the fumes and heavy metal leeching in to their skin. 

7 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Problem is e-waste really isn't actually recyclable. It just gets put in a shipping container and shipped to China etc then put through a furnace or the poor and destitute sit over a flame with a heat pan killing themselves from the fumes and heavy metal leeching in to their skin. 

I dare say most of it goes into landfill where I am (cheaper than sending it to china).  But there really isn't much more I can do beyond hoard it in the backyard.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Maybe donate it to those overworked folks in fulfillment centers?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

What??? I swear I hear solar panels are recyclable 24/7. (Yes I know and agree. Actual frustration point)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

What??? I swear I hear solar panels are recyclable 24/7. (Yes I know and agree. Actual frustration point)

It's fucking stupid isn't it?    Something might be green while it's in use and working,  but that doesn't make it environmentally friendly or recyclable on the whole.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

22 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

In other words. They have found a way of getting rid of "trash" while looking like a good guy.

Its great as long as that project doesnt turn charity into a landfill

Considering everyday people already do a good enough job of that (especially with increased tariff on rubbish disposal)...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

It's fucking stupid isn't it?    Something might be green while it's in use and working,  but that doesn't make it environmentally friendly or recyclable on the whole.

At least solar panels get used for 10+ years, unlike a lot of TVs and nearly all smartphones. I'm sure it's possible to reprocess the silicon in the panels it's just that nothing is setup to do it hence it's way to costly to consider it right now, effectively making them non-recyclable. One of those bigger fish to fry things.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

At least solar panels get used for 10+ years, unlike a lot of TVs and nearly all smartphones. I'm sure it's possible to reprocess the silicon in the panels it's just that nothing is setup to do it hence it's way to costly to consider it right now, effectively making them non-recyclable. One of those bigger fish to fry things.

The benefit in using the solar panels is worth the recycling cost, of lack thereof, unlike smartphones. Smartphones are quickly becoming a problem. Not a day goes by that I don't see the e-waste bin at Best Buy being full of otherwise useful stuff like A/V receivers, phones, and old TVs. 

The problem with e-waste and its R3 lies squarely on the manufacturers of those products, especially since they're the ones producing and expecting users to toss their old phone after a year or two. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

The benefit in using the solar panels is worth the recycling cost,

What if that recycling cost (both financial and environmental) is the same as  building and using a nuclear power station that can provide the same amount of power plus more. 

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

What if that recycling cost (both financial and environmental) is the same as  building and using a nuclear power station that can provide the same amount of power plus more. 

Why not both? Are we to eschew viable power sources because a better one is available? Diversity is key. If something happens to your coal plant or wind turbines, you have solar. If it’s a rainy day, you have wind and coal. If you have a hurricane, you might have a battery at home for a week’s reserve.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Why not both? Are we to eschew viable power sources because a better one is available? Diversity is key. If something happens to your coal plant or wind turbines, you have solar. If it’s a rainy day, you have wind and coal. If you have a hurricane, you might have a battery at home for a week’s reserve.

I do have solar, my point is that we are facing what appears to be a serious issue with the environment and a clear winner for power generation across the board (at the very least as an interim solution) yet everyone wants to scare us away from it.   That and everyone is keen to jump on the solar is proven perfect without addressing even some of the unknowns regarding what happens when they all need replacing/upgrading and the true cost of production.  

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

I do have solar, my point is that we are facing what appears to be a serious issue with the environment and a clear winner for power generation across the board (at the very least as an interim solution) yet everyone wants to scare us away from it.   That and everyone is keen to jump on the solar is proven perfect without addressing even some of the unknowns regarding what happens when they all need replacing/upgrading and the true cost of production.  

Nearly every coal plant should be converted to nuclear. There’s no reason to not go that route. There’s also a very real necessity to allow/subsidize each home solar panels. We are heavily reliant on gas/coal in the US and it will eventually hurt us if it hasn’t already. 

The topic isn’t about energy production but about e-waste and the difference between a decade or two of solar panel’s lifetime vs the expected upgrade cycle of a new smartphone. These companies aren’t investing enough money and time to recycling and reduction. It’s like plastic, recycling is possible but there are toxic materials and solvents that can’t be recycled or reduced to inert substances.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Nearly every coal plant should be converted to nuclear. There’s no reason to not go that route.

This I agree with. At least for the tech we have now until other solutions are made possible.

There’s also a very real necessity to allow/subsidize each home solar panels.

We tried that here in Australia, unfortunately it didn't work that well,  All that happened was that the rich that could afford panels ended up having their panels and subsequent power bills subsidized by those who can't afford it.   A very unfair system.

We are heavily reliant on gas/coal in the US and it will eventually hurt us if it hasn’t already. 

We don't even have nuclear here, it's all coal/gas and a bit hydro.

The topic isn’t about energy production but about e-waste and the difference between a decade or two of solar panel’s lifetime vs the expected upgrade cycle of a new smartphone. These companies aren’t investing enough money and time to recycling and reduction. It’s like plastic, recycling is possible but there are toxic materials and solvents that can’t be recycled or reduced to inert substances.

I never said the topic was about anything else.

EDIT: actually the topic is about amazon donating to charities, but it morphed into other things.  We can discuss them all.