Wallmart kills OVERPOWERED Prebuilt PCs - [UPDATE - They're back!... Now with a $400 discount!]

Spotty
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

Walmart has dropped the price of all the models by $400!

23 minutes ago, Jackson said:

I'm seeing price drops for all 3:

• DTW1 $999.00 (From $1199)
  • DTW2 $1499.00 (From $1899)
  • DTW3 $1699.00 (From $2099)

Wow, those are some huge drops. Keep in mind the DTW1 was initially $1399 but was already dropped to $1199. They've all got $400 discounts across the board.

Let's do a price check compared to if you bought similar/matching components...

DTW1 - $999

DTW2 - $1499

DTW3 - $1699

Even when you consider things like the crappy PSU, crappy motherboard, single stick of 16GB of RAM on DTW1, and other nagging issues, the prices actually work out to be pretty good value for a pre built.

I really wonder if Walmart is clearing out existing stock/fulfilling contracts on the product line just to get rid of them. May even be selling at or below cost. They have been out for less than a month and are already seeing a $400 discount.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You're all wrong, they had to pull it because supply of Nvidia Pascal GPUs dried up since Nvidia stopped making them to force people to buy RTX cards ?

Jokes aside, they are just all wrong anyway.  ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Jokes aside, they are just all wrong anyway.  ?

How dare you say I was joking, I'm offended.

Spoiler

..... you had to check this was still a joke? ?

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How dare you say I was joking, I'm offended.

Hide contents

..... you had to check this was still a joke? ?

I was looking for the meme. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If they revised them slightly, they'd be fine. Frankly, only thing needed addressing is intake airflow, making sure PCIe power is connected and using 2x8 GB instead of 1x16GB. Other than that was ridiculously overblown by pretty much everyone. I mean, the rage everyone made about frigging USB 2.0 on the front, come on, I'm a power user and had USB 2.0 in the front till like half a year ago when I changed case and it happened to arrive with USB 3.0. 30MB/s cap of USB 2.0 wasn't an issue for 3/4 of daily stuff, if I really needed huge transfers, I hooked my portable HDD on rear twice a year. I just needed something in front that works. Didn't matter at what speed. Most of the time you'll be dealing with USB 2.0 devices anyway...

5 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

LOL don't select the nested quote to quote the nested person from!

Why not?

I do it on purpose sometimes ;)

5 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

LOL don't select the nested quote to quote the nested person from! 

Walmart didn't kill them. They were dead on arrival, due to unplugged graphics card power connectors. I mean, come on. Glue the USB 3.0 connector, but not the critical graphics card power connector?!

Scalper, no scalping!

I hope that Walmart tweaks it some and brings it back. Walmart, being Walmart, could be unbeatable on price. Beyond that, I didn't think that the DTW1 as reviewed was catastrophic.

"Great Wall" PSU

Let that sink in

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

*Wal-Mart's

480 / 8 = 60, not 30.

In wonderland maybe, in realworld it's 32MB/s under most ideal conditions. No USB 3.0 thumbdrive or even portable HDD has ever gone past 32MB/s on a USB 2.0 port.

14 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

the power supply's too... *pukes* 

The power supply is a very important part of the entire system. That's why I'll never ever buy an OEM PC, always avoid their shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

If they revised them slightly, they'd be fine. Frankly, only thing needed addressing is intake airflow, making sure PCIe power is connected and using 2x8 GB instead of 1x16GB. Other than that was ridiculously overblown by pretty much everyone. I mean, the rage everyone made about frigging USB 2.0 on the front, come on, I'm a power user and had USB 2.0 in the front till like half a year ago when I changed case and it happened to arrive with USB 3.0. 30MB/s cap of USB 2.0 wasn't an issue for 3/4 of daily stuff, if I really needed huge transfers, I hooked my portable HDD on rear twice a year. I just needed something in front that works. Didn't matter at what speed. Most of the time you'll be dealing with USB 2.0 devices anyway...

Yep! I just find the choice of the case a bit weird. It’s gotta be a little bit expensive since it has four RBG fans and a lot of tempered glass? Or is it just clear plastic? 

How about just getting a boring case with 2 fans and mesh. It’s like Wal Mart could use an even cheaper case and get better results. What am I a missing here? 

5 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

The power supply is a very important part of the entire system. That's why I'll never ever buy an OEM PC, always avoid their shit.

i would probably buy an OEM pc if i had to, i'd just factor a replacement PSU into my budget... 

She/Her

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i would probably buy an OEM pc if i had to, i'd just factor a replacement PSU into my budget... 

The walmart pc may not be too bad a deal after they dropped the price $200. Take your savings and get a decent PSU, some cans of air to clean out your case periodically, and add a stick of ram. The mobo is the main problem.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

14 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Whomever steps foot in Walmart, most likely doesn't know shit about electronics,

I've stepped foot in to Walmart. Though I don't buy electronics from them. Food yes, electronics no. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

The walmart pc may not be too bad a deal after they dropped the price $200. Take your savings and get a decent PSU, some cans of air to clean out your case periodically, and add a stick of ram. The mobo is the main problem.

yea i would never ever buy the walmart pc just because of the really crappy mobo. 

She/Her

37 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

In wonderland maybe, in realworld it's 32MB/s under most ideal conditions. No USB 3.0 thumbdrive or even portable HDD has ever gone past 32MB/s on a USB 2.0 port.

52 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

*Wal-Mart's

480 / 8 = 60, not 30.

It's 480 mbps maximum theoretical bandwidth.  the usb controller reserves 10%, data transferred through cables is arranged in packets and each packet has headers, there must be some pauses between packets and all kinds of crap ... in the end the maximum you can achieve is around 44 MB/s

The controllers in usb chips are also designed to be as cheap as possible and as a commodity, mass volume parts, nobody designs these to use the usb to the fullest, there's latencies involved when reading data from nand flash, grouping data in usb packets etc ... it's common to not see maximum usb 2.0 speed.

See : https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/24700/why-are-usb-devices-slower-than-480-mbit-s

50 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I just thought you typo'd or miscalculated the number.  I didn't realize you were going for actual transmission rate.

I can say that regarding the partitioning of drives that in my repair experience it seems common practice for th3 chinese to do this. Ive repaired computers for some chinese families where they had 6 partitions or so. And i removed the partitions. Then maybe a year or so later theyd come back complaining about low space with the same pc and low and behold it was partitioned again. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

"Great Wall" PSU

Let that sink in

was this joke at trump's wall ?

I think the reason why the walmart op gaming pc are pulled is because the power for the gpu isn't plugged in. Both Kyle from bitwit and Linus received their units with that flaw. The only one that was plugged in is Steve's from Gamers Nexus. Those walmart op gaming desktop version 2.0, will make a return, probably with some changes like back i/o with at least a hdmi and for the front usb 3.0.

They might probably just make a cut out for type c that's on the back and re route it to the front and secure it with hot glue.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Oh thank god

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!