Nvidia recalls its Nvidia Shield Tablets - Battery can catch on fire

GoodBytes

Nvidia is issuing a recall for its tablet, the Nvidia Shield Tablet.

sl07-22_0723ju.1406014519.0.jpg

The reason for the recall, is with the battery. The battery can catch fire and you can get hurt. Nvidia is not providing more details on the circumstances that will do this, but the company is stating to stop using the tablet immediately.

This affects the 'Y0' not 'B01' series batteries. (Thanks @TheMcSame)

Nvidia has setup a recall website for the the device, which includes instructions and a form to complete to send your device to the company, right here: http://tabletrecall.expertproductinquiry.com/ If you are in the U.S or Canada, the company setup a hot line: 1-888-943-4196

The website also shows you how to check for your battery model.

Nvidia notes that the company will send you a replacement device, so your data in it will be loss. Do a backup of your device data before sending it in.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077973/nvidia-shield-tablet-recall-battery-fire-hazard

Do you have an Nvidia Shield?

Wow thats a costly mistake O_o

My Pc Specs

CPU : AMD FX-8350 @stock w/Noctua NH D-14   Mobo: Asus M5A99FX    Ram : 16gb Corsair XMS3 @1600mhz    GPU : Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce OC 4GB @1429mhz   SSD: Sandisk X110 256gb    Case: Be Quiet Silent Base 800 Windowed  PSU: EVGA 850w g2  Peripherals : Corsair K70 w/Red Switches , Logitech G502 , Samsung SyncMaster S22B300 (1920x1080) , Ttesports Shock one headset , Phone : HTC one A9

Yikes... The tablet was pretty okay...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

well thats sad, would have been sader if i acctiually owned one, wonder how they founf out about this problem and this is going to cost a bunch of money for NVIDIA

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

well thats sad, would have been sader if i acctiually owned one, wonder how they founf out about this problem and this is going to cost a bunch of money for NVIDIA

Haven't heard any stories about this so it might just be that Nvidia found out if some idiot punctures the battery it could go up in flames.

They aren't recalling all the tablets, only the ones with a certain battery type.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

batteries are a pain in the backside, they screw over too many companies.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

batteries are a pain in the backside, they screw over too many companies.

And the kick that decided to put a fork in it. :ph34r:

Haven't heard any stories about this so it might just be that Nvidia found out if some idiot punctures the battery it could go up in flames.

then how would the new devices they send be any better?

then how would the new devices they send be any better?

I'm trying to understand why you would ask this question with an answer so obvious but I just can't.

I'm trying to understand why you would ask this question with an answer so obvious but I just can't.

my question is then why would they send them new devices if they wont be any better. jesus why does everyone have to insult everyone else

if the tablet over heated this could happen 

my question is then why would they send them new devices if they wont be any better. jesus why does everyone have to insult everyone else

Calm down little snowflake. Why would they recall devices if they weren't going to rectify the problem? It would be a pointless news announcement if they went "Yep, your tablet might catch on fire. Good luck!"

You should probably add that it's only the models with the Y01 battery that are affected in the OP.

@GoodBytes

Yikes! I think people often forget that batteries can be a bit dangerous.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Maybe cuz they deded

Calm down little snowflake. Why would they recall devices if they weren't going to rectify the problem? It would be a pointless news announcement if they went "Yep, your tablet might catch on fire. Good luck!"

it might just be that Nvidia found out if some idiot punctures the battery it could go up in flames.

so nvidia chemical engineered new lithium batteries that do not react with air and water because thats the only way to solve the puncturing problem

Maybe cuz they deded

*huh, my shield tablet seems to be on fire. I better put my face against it to be sure!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Maybe cuz they deded

Ya'll need to get yo readin' skills up.

so nvidia chemical engineered new lithium batteries that do not react with air and water because thats the only way to solve the puncturing problem

Yeah, sure, why not?

There's batteries that react better when being punctured, and some that react much worse. I assume they're just swapping the battery for one that doesn't react as violently. But if you manage to puncture the battery you should be smacked over the head with the tablet.

Ya'll need to get yo readin' skills up.

Yeah, sure, why not?

There's batteries that react better when being punctured, and some that react much worse. I assume they're just swapping the battery for one that doesn't react as violently. But if you manage to puncture the battery you should be smacked over the head with the tablet.

any lithium battery goes up in flames if you stab it though with a fork because they react to air and water. and if you engineer them not to then they can't be ions and will not hold a charge