Nvidia recalls its Nvidia Shield Tablets - Battery can catch on fire

GoodBytes

Damn that sucks. Maybe the batteries uses Fermi techonology. At least NVidia is taking responsibility and paying for this.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Can't all batteries catch on fire.

Some are much more susceptible to it than others. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Can't all batteries catch on fire.

Yes but that's besides the point: if there's physical damage they can blow up. Though usually not spontaneously. And if they're doing a recall, it's because they know the chance of it happening and settling is more than the cost of a recall:

-------

Current Rig

-------

@Misanthrope pretty sure Apple, Toshiba and I think the other one was Dell (possibly Sony as well?) have all had issues of the former type of battery causing fires, so I wouldn't get too complacent there either.

Not to mention the prevailing rumours that MH370 was brought down by a fire caused by Li-Ion batteries. This is a major issue.

Not to mention the prevailing rumours that MH370 was brought down by a fire caused by Li-Ion batteries. This is a major issue.

Heh? Where'd you get that? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

@Misanthrope pretty sure Apple, Toshiba and I think the other one was Dell (possibly Sony as well?) have all had issues of the former type of battery causing fires, so I wouldn't get too complacent there either.

You might be right and this is likely a different issue, but what I meant is this:

WP_20130919_09_36_13_Pro.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Heh? Where'd you get that? 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=MH370&oq=MH370&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i59j69i61&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=MH370+batteries

You might be right and this is likely a different issue, but what I meant is this:

Yeah if you're talking just about physical rigidity then most phone batteries are just a bag loose wherever there's room. Hardly comforting.

*Fermi flashbacks*

<Fermi flashbacks intensify>

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

That's against coc bruh...

but thanks I guess...

Not that The Daily Mail should ever be taken without a grain of salt, but I linked the google search to show that they are not the only source talking about this rumour.

Not that The Daily Mail should ever be taken without a grain of salt, but I linked the google search to show that they are not the only source talking about this rumour.

I don't surf news sites often, any new I get is through the news station, the papers and here. 

Yea, but thanks for showing me how to google. Its like superbly helpful.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

does this include linus's?

Well that's useful, I've had this little scratch on my shield tablet's screen that's been annoying me a bunch... :)

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

does this include linus's?

I think he only uses the shield portable? Not the tablet

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I don't surf news sites often, any new I get is through the news station, the papers and here. 

Yea, but thanks for showing me how to google. Its like superbly helpful.

I didn't show you how to google I answered a question you asked o.0

I think he only uses the shield portable? Not the tablet

i don't know.

My sides....In orbit.

YA dun goofed Nvidia...

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

It does, which is why I'm bummed out. 

Via E-Mail:

Dear user of NVIDIA Tablet, 

Thank you for having made a request to replace your tablet. Your replacement tablet will be shipped within 2 to 4 weeks. 

Please follow the enclosed instructions to replace or remove your old tablet. 

Please be sure to back up your photos, videos and data files so you can access them from your tablet replacement. 

Remember that when you activate your new tablet, your tablet will be disabled and old no longer work. 

Please remove all accessories (case, SIM card, SD card, etc ...) before returning your old tablet. 

Regards, 

NVIDIA 

I'm just gonna keep using mine until the replacement tablet arrives. From what I can tell there's only a handful of people experiencing these issues, so I think the risk of anything happening in the next 2 weeks is pretty small.

I had issues where I would plugin the charger and the battery would not charge but the whole tablet got really hot, I am interested to see if this was the cause...

i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz 1.37v, EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid, Asus z370-A Prime

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Samsung 960 Evo 256GB, Samsung 850Pro 1TB, WD 3TB HDD

NZXT H440 White, Corsair H100i GTX v2, EVGA 750G2

Corsair AF140 x1, Corsair SP120 x2, Noctua Industrial 3000 RPM x3

*Fermi flashbacks*

I don't need to flashback. Still running fermi to this day.

Nvidia, please recall these tablets and turn them all in to Shield Portable 2s, Thats all i want :(

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I thought only AMD products ran hot enough to catch fire? :wacko: :ph34r:

Oh well, I guess it's true, every company does fuck up at least once or twice. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And that is why you should never let Dell make any of your products.

(Or Apple, they've had the same problems in the past).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL