Nvidia recalls its Nvidia Shield Tablets - Battery can catch on fire

GoodBytes

Bro, I don't need to anything.

If you thought I was serious, maybe you should get yo reading skills up.

Not being serious to you, but I know someone is going to scroll past my post, misread it, get angry at me, try to argue..

I just don't care, rather clarify it with someone that won't get so butthurt over discussion.

wait, did they say to stop using it immediately, but you should back it up before you send it in? how are you supposed to back it up if you stopped using it?

okay, but if someones tablet catches on fire while backing up that would be ironic and a shame. 

any lithium battery goes up in flames if you stab it though with a fork because they react to air and water. and if you engineer them not to then they can't be ions and will not hold a charge

Yeah, and some are worse with that reaction than others. Little tidbit of my post that's the key which was blatantly ignored. I do think there are some batteries that have a layer which acts like a self-sealing gas tank would, to try and prevent a puncture from causing too much damage.

Yeah, and some are worse with that reaction than others. Little tidbit of my post that's the key which was blatantly ignored. I do think there are some batteries that have a layer which acts like a self-sealing gas tank would, to try and prevent a puncture from causing too much damage.

ok thats all i needed not that oh you are an idiot response

ok thats all i needed not that oh you are an idiot response

I know you have the ability to connect the dots of:

Nvidia found problem in product -> Recalls product because they're going to fix it or get shit on by the internet relentlessly

I know you have the ability to connect the dots of:

Nvidia found problem in product -> Recalls product because they're going to fix it or get shit on by the internet relentlessly

ok continuing with the you are an idiot response.

I just said you're not an idiot, but okay.

and im pretty sure its not just stabbing it that causes problems because no company will recall a product for that reason

and im pretty sure its not just stabbing it that causes problems because no company will recall a product for that reason

Well usually what will cause those kinds of batteries to explode is being punctured in some way. Which doesn't happen unless someone intentionally punctures the battery. The other cause might be heat expansion but someone surely would have noticed that by now because I guarantee you there's been a Shield Tablet that has gamed for far longer than it should have and did not catch on fire.

*sigh*

Ok ok, give me a sec, was a typo. Already fixed it. Impatience. Cheese

On the plus side, I get a brand new tablet after mine has a couple of dents/scratches on it.

just to let you know i've done the RMA process via the tablet, was very easy and straight forward, lets hope that my replacement arrives soon.......

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Bummer. I use my shield every time I fly. Going to be some long flights until my replacement gets here. 

Bummer. I use my shield every time I fly. Going to be some long flights until my replacement gets here. 

Check to be sure yours has the effected battery before getting too sad. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Check to be sure yours has the effected battery before getting too sad. 

It does, which is why I'm bummed out. 

Via E-Mail:

Dear user of NVIDIA Tablet, 

Thank you for having made a request to replace your tablet. Your replacement tablet will be shipped within 2 to 4 weeks. 

Please follow the enclosed instructions to replace or remove your old tablet. 

Please be sure to back up your photos, videos and data files so you can access them from your tablet replacement. 

Remember that when you activate your new tablet, your tablet will be disabled and old no longer work. 

Please remove all accessories (case, SIM card, SD card, etc ...) before returning your old tablet. 

Regards, 

NVIDIA 

It's astonishing that batteries are still sourced from the lowest bidder considering how dangerous the consequences can be and the sheer number of pc manufactures who have had to recall

It does, which is why I'm bummed out. 

Via E-Mail:

Dear user of NVIDIA Tablet, 

Thank you for having made a request to replace your tablet. Your replacement tablet will be shipped within 2 to 4 weeks. 

Please follow the enclosed instructions to replace or remove your old tablet. 

Please be sure to back up your photos, videos and data files so you can access them from your tablet replacement. 

Remember that when you activate your new tablet, your tablet will be disabled and old no longer work. 

Please remove all accessories (case, SIM card, SD card, etc ...) before returning your old tablet. 

Regards, 

NVIDIA 

Bummer.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

That certainly won't help things. Though to be fair, I've seen a fairly large number of tablets with blown up inflated batteries, it seems to be like a common thing: while laptop batteries have strong reinforcements tablet batteries are significantly larger and have almost no protection from what I've seen:

7aa6.jpg

vs

sku_219665_1.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Where do i check what battery i have? do i have to open it`?

Makes sure it's up to date and follow this:

q579j.jpg

Can't all batteries catch on fire.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard