Here’s why iPhones are better

James

I hate Android, so much.

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck

Only read the first and last page and I'm not bothering with the in-between since it sounds a lot like "apple sux hur dur android betur". 

Fanboys on both sides are so damn obnoxious. Just choose a good phone and stop complaining about the other side's choices. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

so have you guys come to a conclusion, what's best ios or android? iphones or samsung? ?

13 hours ago, asus killer said:

so have you guys come to a conclusion, what's best ios or android? iphones or samsung? ?

I think we've come to the conclusion that the correct answer is

Spoiler

image.jpeg.7ca4f954e4b89f158e5518d30a6aec77.jpeg

Hey guys, I wanted to share my opinion about iPhone and Android cameras as I had constant experience with both systems and I am photographer working with mirrorless systems. I work in electronics shop so I can operate these devices in real world. I just switched from OnePlus 5 which had dual-camera system to iPhone XS Max.

The first significant thing that caught my eye on the iPhone camera is Apple's Smart HDR. It's pretty good thanks to upgraded neural engine and image processor. It feels like the camera knows what you are shooting all the time and it can edit your picture accordingly. Not just basic HDR thing with exposures, but object-based detection mechanisms followed by white balance and color palette adjustments. But this is not as significant thing as we can observe because there are other AI cameras in other Android phones.

Second thing is more interesting. When you are taking pictures with iPhone you can see your Smart HDR adjustments in real-time on your “viewfinder” so you know how the photo is going to look like. This is the first phone in the world with such ability. This is connected to zero shutter-lag so your photos are taken instantly with pressing of button.

Another thing is precise depth scanning in portrait mode. Background is blurred pretty accurate, even more than Huawei P20 Pro’s 3 cameras system. But the best thing is the iPhone is saving all those data into the picture and you can work with depth even in third-party apps! For example, I installed app called Focos. I can edit depth data with brush when I see some errors or distracting artefacts in the blur. Then I can apply different style of blur and the photo looks just like photos from my Sony A7III camera with old-school Helios 44 lens! I don’t know any similar app for Android phones.

The last but not least significant thing about iPhone cameras is their support by third-party apps. For example depth-sensing apps like Focos or Halide, or camera profile support in Lightroom when you are editing RAW photos from your iPhone on your computer.

There are other small bits about the camera I like and I didn’t mentioned. This all can be done thanks to new, powerful processors in the phone and high-quality sensors and lens with optical stabilization. When I switched from OnePlus 5 to iPhone XS Max it was real level up in the camera capabilities. And I am really enjoying the camera! I am attaching some of the recent photos from my iPhone.

PS: If you want to see more pictures, you can find me on the Instagram as @Artharos.

3EC7128E-2FFD-4964-A3D8-BCC684204A46 (Custom).jpg

57AEE18C-C1FC-47EF-977D-E0C6ADD31852 (Custom).jpg

159135B1-A58E-415E-8763-93F4EA57C603 (Custom).jpg

EBAA2DB1-7C5B-468B-876C-DCED32E8762D (Custom).jpg

IMG_0070 (Custom).jpg

IMG_0110 (Custom).jpg

IMG_0407 (Custom).jpg

IMG_0585 (Custom).jpg

IMG_0641 (Custom).jpg

IMG_1837 (Custom).png

IMG_1838 (Custom).png

Great job @LinusTech you released "a fairly unpopular video" (per your words from WAN Show) about how Iphone Xs sucks and to balance it out you released another unpopular video about how Iphone is nice.

My advice - stay away from phone wars because there was no scenario in which that would be a well liked video.

EDIT: here is a free advice on how you make a video title that will reduce your dislikes from people who didn't even watch it.

"10 things Iphone does really well"

"10 reasons I really like the Iphone"

As soon as you put "better" in the title you were sparking unnecessary flame war. You must have realized that.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

On 10/24/2018 at 12:12 PM, JoostinOnline said:

I really hope that was sarcasm.

No, I was clearly serious with that statement. ?

6 hours ago, artharos said:

When you are taking pictures with iPhone you can see your Smart HDR adjustments in real-time on your “viewfinder” so you know how the photo is going to look like. This is the first phone in the world with such ability. This is connected to zero shutter-lag so your photos are taken instantly with pressing of button.

It's not exactly the same thing, but in 2014, a Galaxy S5 had a similar feature which would show the effects of HDR (more traditional in that sense) in Live View on the composition window.

It's since become a staple of Galaxy flagships, and to date, only the Galaxy phones (AFAIK) on the Android side have had the ability to show the effects of HDR in Live View.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

21 hours ago, asus killer said:

That's the wrong question, and I'm certain you know it.

Either Android nor iOS is "better" than the other overall. Each has their pros and cons.

Only fanboys think one is outright objectively better than the other.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's the wrong question, and I'm certain you know it.

Either Android nor iOS is "better" than the other overall. Each has their pros and cons.

Only fanboys think one is outright objectively better than the other.

well i could point you to a video from some Linus guy that says iphones are better, so discuss it up with him ?

3 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

IMO, it's more about the price to performance.  800+ for a flagship is not worth it, and most people are buying them for the toy factor.

Price to performance is a very limiting factor when looking at Smartphones. There are many aspects to choosing a device, and performance is only one - and frankly, with modern smartphones being fairly powerful even in the low and mid range - performance isn't particularly important at all anymore (though it's easier to market because "bigger numbers" = better).

Simplifying it to "toy factor" is grossly oversimplifying the situation, and ignores basically any factor outside of performance.

14 minutes ago, asus killer said:

well i could point you to a video from some Linus guy that says iphones are better, so discuss it up with him ?

Yes and many - including myself (iPhone user) have pointed out that the Video title was borderline clickbait. iPhones are not "better". Neither are Android phones. Some are great, some are bad, but overall, both ecosystems are good and have positive and negative aspects that balance each other out.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Simplifying it to "toy factor" is grossly oversimplifying the situation, and ignores basically any factor outside of performance.

Yes and many - including myself (iPhone user) have pointed out that the Video title was borderline clickbait. iPhones are not "better". Neither are Android phones. Some are great, some are bad, but overall, both ecosystems are good and have positive and negative aspects that balance each other out.

i really hope you saw that i was trolling both Linus video and this discussion. I agree with you, both have strong and weak points. They aren't even comparable, the only thing that can be comparable is iOS and AndroidOS, and in my opinion iOS is much better. As to phones there is just an iphone and hundreds of android phones, some are shit, some are very good and everything in between.

12 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Then tell me what feature, that isn't on a cheaper phone, or product, makes an 800 buck+ phone worth it? 

I would say "nothing". Once you reach diminishing returns, there's not much else that makes it worth paying extra for. 

4K on a phone is great until it's marketed as a "gaming" phone. "" = "4K until you start playing games and it down-scales to 1080p." If I wanted a DS, I would have bought a DS. Oh wait... I do have a DS.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

The device war between Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy is just a clever sales technique, it's the war that can never be won due to licensing differences in their devices

Which is good news for both Apple and Samsung, it will make everyone purchase their hardware

To the user they both do the same thing

Apple maintains a better environment for proprietary development

Hardware and software firms can invest millions of dollars knowing that their ideas are going to be protected

Many of Apple's devices also share similar specifications which is a good and a bad thing, efficiency at the cost of security

Samsung may deal with proprietary agreements in their products but the majority of their Galaxy is open

This allows for quicker development, it's much easier to fix problems that are identified, "hacks" aren't relied on and the variation in Android devices also gives the end user better protection at the cost of performance

But if you as me I much prefer putting my phone down and doing something constructive, like go for a walk, visit a friend or build something..... try not to get distracted by marketing guys they aren't going to stop making either device soon

swap my phone ha, 3.5 years in with a 5S and with a battery change at 2.5, Only me wanting a slightly larger screen and a better camera are causing me to think about a 6S 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

10 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

swap my phone ha, 3.5 years in with a 5S and with a battery change at 2.5, Only me wanting a slightly larger screen and a better camera are causing me to think about a 6S 

My iPhone 6s has been the best smartphone I've ever owned, personally.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

My iPhone 6s has been the best smartphone I've ever owned, personally.

yeah and it is the last with the headphone jack. 350$ for a 32GB from my carrier new isn't bad. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

saw the last wan show and way to go at misrepresenting the problem. The video wasn't called "10 things that are great about iphone" as mentioned @32:58, it it were there was no problem. Making it lovers vs haters when it was Linus that caused the problem with the clickbait title seems wrong.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:29 AM, GDRRiley said:

yeah and it is the last with the headphone jack. 350$ for a 32GB from my carrier new isn't bad. 

Yep, the 7 was already out and the 8 was soon to be released when I got my 6s, and I chose it specifically over the others due to the headphone jack. I opted for the 128GB version, since I store a lot of music on there and didn't want to have to deal with storage issues, even though 32GB is honestly enough for most users.

I'm not sure what I'll do when I have to upgrade. I might just grit my teeth and do without a headphone jack, because even though on principle it should be there, I don't use it very often.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:31 AM, dalekphalm said:

I opted for the 128GB version, since I store a lot of music on there and didn't want to have to deal with storage issues, even though 32GB is honestly enough for most users.

I have an iPhone 7 128GB and for me, I have a lot of video and music stored but honestly I could easily get away with 64GB (IIRC that skew has now disappeared). Most apps don't take a much space, unless you're 'gaming' on your phone you don't need much.

I was thinking similar to you, I don't want to run out of storage but at the same time I'm struggling to find a use for most of it ?.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, initialatom said:

This felt like Linus was forced to read a script with a gun pointed at his head. Prefer to hear Linus' actual opinion and not the opinion of the angry apple fanboy mob.

this???

✨FNIGE✨

3 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

this???

Now that I think back, this was actually a pretty bold move by the team, considering Intel does sponsor some of their videos. It was hilarious none the less and seemed to perform well.