Here’s why iPhones are better

James
6 minutes ago, QuixoticRogue said:

While I agree that Apple does need to protect their name, and I also agree that Apple (as a private company) has the right to try and sell their repair service as the first point of contact. I have sympathy for Apple (after all I keep buying their products) and I always go to the Apple Store and wait in line to talk to their tech support first despite their long turn around. However, you cannot turn a blind eye to the fact that there are some good 3rd party companies that can do a decent job.

For example, I had an old iPod touch screen replaced recently by a 3rd party after the Apple Store refused to fix it (it is very old, running iOS 9 - Apple would have offered me a $25 credit towards a new one, except that because the screen was cracked it was in their opinion worthless). The third party company was able to do it perfectly in an hour without an appointment - I literally dropped it off, went for lunch, ate, picked it up and went back to work.

The fact they could do that so quickly and perfectly (you would never know it was repaired) I believe speaks well of the product. I would hate to see Apple run them out of business. Was it worth $100CDN to replace an old iPod when a new one would cost $250? Probably not - but then throwing away a working piece of electronics is difficult for me. My point is this, having more competition, and access to other manufacturers or refurbished replacement screens would likely have brought the price down significantly.

I do see your point, If the company put a cheap and crappy screen on it, and I decided to give it away, or sell it, it would probably not look good for Apple. But I think that decision should be up to me, and not Apple.

I thought apple was still allowing "apple authorized" repair shops?

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

This is incoherent and I can't understand what you are saying. idk what "timeline functionality" since that is a MS technology and Apple added a barometer so you could track how many floors you moved up for the health app. Data of which does not leave your phone, ever. 

google timeline is the tracking logging system / application at any time as long as its not disabled you can go into it and look at and day in your past and see everywhere the phone went and the locations you went to. in timeline is where you can disable the tracking and delete your history. just because your ignorant doesn't mean you should start throwing insults about the writing 

Just now, corrado33 said:

they cant order parts until they send in the part taken from the phone they have to pay massive costs for a licence and training and most of the time they cant do true repairs just apple level repair 

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

they do, but there are also good repair shops that are not "apple authorized", and it is difficult for them to get parts. There is an ongoing saga about a repair shop in Norway that purchased refurbished Apple screens and is being sued for selling "counterfeit" parts.

Just now, Alaradia said:

google timeline is the tracking logging system / application at any time as long as its not disabled you can go into it and look at and day in your past and see everywhere the phone went and the locations you went to. in timeline is where you can disable the tracking and delete your history. just because your ignorant doesn't mean you should start throwing insults about the writing 

No such technology exists on iOS. And I don't use Google services so why would I know how Google tracks you all day every day when Apple does not? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

they cant order parts until they send in the part taken from the phone they have to pay massive costs for a licence and training and most of the time they cant do true repairs just apple level repair 

I mean again, I don't have problems with that. Apple is simply trying to get their devices repaired correctly, and prevent shitty shops from repairing their devices.

Again, put yourself in their shoes.

You own a large company that makes something that's electronicy. You see lots of people getting those things repaired at shitty shops them coming to you saying "It broke and I can't fix it.".

So what do you do?

You make it so that only you (or people trained by you) can repair it.  

I really want to try LastPass but YT link no work...

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No such technology exists on iOS. And I don't use Google services so why would I know how Google tracks you all day every day when Apple does not? 

https://www.cultofmac.com/522515/how-to-see-iphone-significant-locations-map/

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-see-your-iphone-location-history-2015-11

every one is tracking you apple isn't special information is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1 minute ago, Alaradia said:

I think the argument was that you can turn it off on apple, but can't on google. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

I think the argument was that you can turn it off on apple, but can't on google. 

yeah but as ive pointed out several times you can turn it off people just were trying to disable by turning off their gps and not by disabling properly in timeline. both can be turned off this is like the 6 times i've said that 

Just now, Alaradia said:

yeah but as ive pointed out several times you can turn it off people just were trying to disable by turning off their gps and not by disabling properly in timeline. both can be turned off this is like the 6 times i've said that 

Yeah I skipped the middle 3 pages of this thread.

Just now, Alaradia said:

Well if you need to keep repeating it you obviously aren’t being very clear. You made the argument that you can’t disable an iPhones location tracking and that is simply a lie. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

If anyone says Linus is biased or acting in an unfair manner, please check out 12:10.

He clearly acknowledges both sides. He's coming at it from an unbiased viewpoint imo and is doing a great job.

Was there really a need for such a video though?

The people who understand the pros and cons of each platform tend to be those who can think rationally and understand the major differences between the 2 in a level-headed manner.

Really, all this just seems to do is open up the floodgates of Android fanboys who swear by everything Android without even acknowledging some of its objective flaws.

And this is coming from a person with nearly a decade's worth of Android experience

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

6 hours ago, RockyRZ said:

The anti-Apple crowd and Android fanboys always breaking down like the snowflakes they are.

you know this video was a reaction to the Apple Snowflakes raising hell from the last video right?

2 hours ago, HingaDingaDurgen said:

Google is by no means a saint, but shit, at the very least they aren't as openly anti-consumer as Apple. Things like a lack of SD card expansion, making phones of intentionally poor build quality so you can go to them and overpay for them to repair it, poor specs for the suggested price

A lot of those things also describe the Google Pixel.

They have also managed to one-up Apple in how fast wireless charging on the Pixel 3 is utilizing Google's own proprietary protocol. If Apple uses the universal Qi standard for fast wireless charging (one of the last companies who'd do such a thing), then why exactly is Google going proprietary?

Google is trying so hard to ape Apple in all the ways of being anti-consumer, it's not even funny.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

7 hours ago, xtroria said:

It's funny how he's getting bashed here for saying positive things about apple while being praised for creating a 15 minute video just saying bad things about them?

I never expect a reviewer to say "iPhone XS / XS Max are 100% worth the money" because they are not. They are ridiculously expensive and you can get OP6 for almost half the price.

But, it's also ridiculous to say that note 9 is way more worth it than XS Max because I find both of them balance each other out. If you are someone who wants all the bells and whistles but barely even care about software updates, note 9 is the better option but iPhones will get iOS updates for years and you can get an entirely new software experience with your old iPhone by just updating your OS, which is my main reason of spending more money to get iPhone XS Max over Note 9.

Hes getting bashed because one video was his opinion based on his experience. And opinions arent wrong, its his live with it.

This new video his not his opinion, its some scripted forced apple fans ego stroke. Made solely because he was not apeasing the apple crowd.

Next time a asus product gets bashed will we have a next video on how asus products are so much better? 

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

not exactly:

and that thread was created around the time the OG video went up on Floatplane.

Privacy and Security are two different things. Google may have security done right, but their privacy is in the shitter. And this is coming from someone who is an Android user and never really liked Apple. I even said I'll never ever own an Apple device. But that was back when Google wasn't evil yet. Then again I used to defend Google in the past and now I almost plain hate it.

Also note difference between privacy to external parties and privacy internally. Sure, some user can't access my data directly, but how Google is processing and using our personal data to get income is worrying...

I'd be paying yearly fee for GMail (I'm currently paying for ProtonMail) if Google ensured they entirely stopped scanning mails if I'd done so. But then you'd ask yourself, would they really? They could be still harvesting info and selling it to advertisers and NO ONE would ever know because it runs internally and you can't "intercept" rogue packets of data that are entirely out of your reach. So, auditing is impossible and chances of someone finding out what they are doing, next to zero. So, even if they offered such feature, I'm not sure I'd trust them. Not with track record they have in recent years and how they aligned themselves politically and are not afraid to enforce it even with force if it fits their agenda.

So, even if I hate everything about Apple, privacy is one of things I seem to value more and more with their stuff.

28 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Hes getting bashed because one video was his opinion based on his experience. And opinions arent wrong, its his live with it.

This new video his not his opinion, its some scripted forced apple fans ego stroke. Made solely because he was not apeasing the apple crowd.

It was actually in the works long before the video was live on YouTube. 

Evident by the "Why did you buy an iPhone" thread. Many of the reasons stemmed from that thread. 

10 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It was actually in the works long before the video was live on YouTube. 

Evident by the "Why did you buy an iPhone" thread. Many of the reasons stemmed from that thread. 

That topic was created because of the iphone video, it says so in the 1st linus post there.

You are disagreeing with me by using my own arguments, thats really confusing

3 minutes ago, asus killer said:

That topic was created because of the iphone video, it says so in the 1st linus post there.

You are disagreeing with me by using my own arguments, thats really confusing

Because it wasn't a response to iPhone snowflakes caused by iPhone snowflakes 

Linus probably foreshadowed the response, hence why he planned it before. 

Personally, I don't see the need for such a video. These snowflakes, regardless of Apple or Android, can just throw torches at each other in an echo chamber for all I care. So annoyed at this needless fight over a fucking smartphone 

8 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Personally, I don't see the need for such a video. These snowflakes, regardless of Apple or Android, can just throw torches at each other in an echo chamber for all I care. So annoyed at this needless fight over a fucking smartphone 

needless fight that was fueled by Linus with this last video, that's my point. That is the most flamewars incendiary video someone could have made. What's next, a video with 10 reasons why consoles are so much better then PC? why Intel is better then AMD?

you shouldn't have to appease apple fans just because you don't like a product of theirs. I already asked are we going to have a "ten reasons why x is better" every time Linus reviews negatively a product? 

"don't buy 9900k, coming up next 10 reasons intel is better then amd."

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

needless fight that was fueled by Linus with this last video, that's my point. 

I mean, snowflakes will start a fight from anything. 

Even if Linus never did the video, I guarantee you that all the mindless sheep drones will still be fighting each other. 

Even just mentioning "iPhone" is enough to start a flame war. I really wished people just outgrew it. It's dumb. 

With all that said, I dislike the video title. Definitely on the level of clickbait. Something along the lines of "10 reasons why some people like iPhones" would have been less of that IMO