Here’s why iPhones are better

James
1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

it was clickbait, and emphasis on the baiting part. 

Even for clickbait, it just doesn't make sense as a sentence. Better? Than what?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

53 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Even for clickbait, it just doesn't make sense as a sentence. Better? Than what?

I think it's complete shorthand.       V Implied 
Here's why the iPhone is better [than the alternatives]
                                                      ^ Literally just Android pretty much

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

34 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I think it's complete shorthand.       V Implied 
Here's why the iPhone is better [than the alternatives]
                                                      ^ Literally just Android pretty much

Sure, that's almost certainly what it means. But it still looks like a stupid sentence/title. Both of your suggestions would have been far superior, just on a grammatical standpoint, but also less inflammatory.

The video was excellent. A lot of people (Android users included) don't know about some of the benefits of iOS. Change the title and it would have been spot on.

Of course, fanboys would still bitch and whine, but you can't win them all.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/24/2018 at 12:54 AM, DrMacintosh said:

Well if you need to keep repeating it you obviously aren’t being very clear. You made the argument that you can’t disable an iPhones location tracking and that is simply a lie. 

lol not its because people post withought reading the whole thread and yes you can disable it on android and not apple you can disable the stuff they make it clear to you thier doing but not the the tracking they don't tell you about and i'm not defending google on android you can disable all the tracking by custom making a rom with all telemetry disabled while you cant really do that on most apple products 

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

lol not its because people post withought reading the whole thread and yes you can disable it on android and not apple you can disable the stuff they make it clear to you thier doing but not the the tracking they don't tell you about

Can you post a source for this?

2 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

and i'm not defending google on android you can disable all the tracking by custom making a rom with all telemetry disabled while you cant really do that on most apple products 

So the only way to disable tracking is by literally hacking the phone by rooting it?

A user should not have to root their phone to get a basic feature. In fact, a regular user should not ever have to root their phone.

4 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

on android you can disable all the tracking by custom making a rom with all telemetry disabled while you cant really do that on most apple products 

On iOS you flip toggles and they do what they say. You are defending Google because asking a user to flash a custom ROM as an end user solution to a manufacturer problem. 

With an iPhone you just turn off location services and then absolutely nothing is going to communicate telemetry. It just works. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Can you post a source for this?

So the only way to disable tracking is by literally hacking the phone by rooting it?

A user should not have to root their phone to get a basic feature. In fact, a regular user should not ever have to root their phone.

omg i already posted one source read the thread. heres another source https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/13/17684660/google-turn-off-location-history-data 
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/07/24/worried-about-googles-your-timeline-heres-how-to-disable-tracking/
the issue is people read the headline "Google still tracks you through the web if you turn off Location History" and didnt read the article that states you can actually disable it but people were just disabling it the wrong way 

no on apple you have to literally hack the phone by jailbreaking it and the reverse engineer the os to remove it on android you just have to get a phone that supports rom flashing by default or copperhead os phones.

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

On iOS you flip toggles and they do what they say. You are defending Google because asking a user to flash a custom ROM as an end user solution to a manufacturer problem. 

With an iPhone you just turn off location services and then absolutely nothing is going to communicate telemetry. It just works. 

........ those switches don't turn everything off im saying on both you can get to the same level of not tracking by using the sliders and disabling timeline. but if you want actual no tracking you have to remove all telemetry which you can do on android but you cant do on apple withought SIGNIFICANT effort. lol i'm not defending google just trying t o point out both companies  arent great. i dont use android i carry a laptop around that has a linux on it with a lte modem in it 

9 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

omg i already posted one source read the thread. heres another source https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/13/17684660/google-turn-off-location-history-data 
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/07/24/worried-about-googles-your-timeline-heres-how-to-disable-tracking/
the issue is people read the headline "Google still tracks you through the web if you turn off Location History" and didnt read the article that states you can actually disable it but people were just disabling it the wrong way

Did you read what I said? You said iOS does not let you disable tracking. I asked for a source.

Then you reply with stuff about Google?

Furthermore, don't say "read the thread" - it's 9 pages long. Things get missed (despite your source being irrelevant).

The first source (verge) doesn't mention iOS a single time in the entire article, and the second source (lol) actually supports my position:

2018-10-25_2032.png.980f2c3ecc1d1182b1d563ca06b188ad.png

no on apple you have to literally hack the phone by jailbreaking it and the reverse engineer the os

Again, Source?

to remove it on android you just have to get a phone that supports rom flashing by default or copperhead os phones.

So you have to flash a custom rom, or root the phone, basically. Or use an OS that no one has ever heard of before.

None of those are acceptable. Flashing a custom rom is not something a regular user should ever have to do.

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Sure, that's almost certainly what it means. But it still looks like a stupid sentence/title. Both of your suggestions would have been far superior, just on a grammatical standpoint, but also less inflammatory.

The video was excellent. A lot of people (Android users included) don't know about some of the benefits of iOS. Change the title and it would have been spot on.

Of course, fanboys would still bitch and whine, but you can't win them all.

I think linus has been in this way too long to not know what an appropriate title is that doesn't inflame anyone needlessly, and what a complete sentence is. 
He also knows what youtube will push and what youtube will bury. 
He's been consistently choosing what youtube wants lately, and he has no choice imo. What a garbage platform YT is becoming, like almost as garbage as the cable reality shows it replaced. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

but you cant do on apple withought SIGNIFICANT effort

I mean you're talking but none of its true

Want to know how simple it is to turn of iOS device telemetry? Settings-> Privacy-> knock your heart out. 

IMG_7241.thumb.PNG.695ebe80f1495950924d425f3e9ae972.PNG

Location services (every conceivable instance of location tracking is here), off

Contact Access, configure to let whatever apps you want use them

Calendars, "

Reminders, "

Photos, "

Bluetooth sharing, "

Microphone acess, "

Speech Recognition, "

Camera, "

Health access, "

HomeKit access, "

Media access, "

Motion and fitness data, "

Analytics, turn anything and everything on/off 

IMG_7244.thumb.PNG.a1a06f142d44854a1f01a1b44e21845c.PNG

advertising, turn on/off ad tracking

Literally nothing is hidden in iOS, everything is under the Privacy tab and there are no hidden loopholes or loose ends that you need to tie up. Apple simple does more for end user privacy than any of the major players in the smartphone industry and there is simply no denying it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Did you read what I said? You said iOS does not let you disable tracking. I asked for a source.

Then you reply with stuff about Google?

Furthermore, don't say "read the thread" - it's 9 pages long. Things get missed (dispite your source being irrelevant).

The first source (verge) doesn't mention iOS a single time in the entire article, and the second source (lol) actually supports my position:

2018-10-25_2032.png.980f2c3ecc1d1182b1d563ca06b188ad.png

Again, Source?

So you have to flash a custom rom, or root the phone, basically. Or use an OS that no one has ever heard of before.

None of those are acceptable. Flashing a custom rom is not something a regular user should ever have to do.

that is the normal tracking on both devices you can disable that. what you cant disable is the hidden tracking via both there telemetrys which i had already covered and im tired of repeating my self. read the whole thread or don't bother replying partially 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I mean you're talking but none of its true

Want to know how simple it is to turn of iOS device telemetry? Settings-> Privacy-> knock your heart out. 

Location services (every conceivable instance of location tracking is here), off

Contact Access, configure to let whatever apps you want use them

Calendars, "

Reminders, "

Photos, "

Bluetooth sharing, "

Microphone acess, "

Speech Recognition, "

Camera, "

Health access, "

HomeKit access, "

Media access, "

Motion and fitness data, "

Analytics, turn anything and everything on/off 

advertising, turn on/off ad tracking

Literally nothing is hidden in iOS, everything is under the Privacy tab and there are no hidden loopholes or loose ends that you need to tie up. Apple simple does more for end user privacy than any of the major players in the smartphone industry and there is simply no denying it. 

disable all of that attach your iphone to wifi then monitor the packets via wireshark you'll see it's not actually disabled. either way its clear i wont break through to a fanboy 

5 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

disable all of that attach your iphone to wifi then monitor the packets via wireshark you'll see it's not actually disabled. 

I'm sorry but your personal testimony about what you think you saw in Wireshark is not evidence to be saying what you are saying, not without some actual evidence. 

41 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

that is the normal tracking on both devices you can disable that. what you cant disable is the hidden tracking via both there telemetrys which i had already covered and im tired of repeating my self. read the whole thread or don't bother replying partially 

Dude - you've said this multiple times. And never posted a source.

So I'll ask one more time, source?

Both your previous sources don't confirm what you've said. One doesn't talk about iOS at all, and the other literally says "Do these things to turn off tracking in iOS".

So, do you have a confirmed third party source that says you cannot disable telemetry?

Ease of use.

(If it hasn’t been mentioned yet, which is very unlikely!)

A long time LTT viewer that signed up “7 minutes ago”.

5 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The US Gov' owes ~22 Trillion dollars in over expenditures, ~16 Trillion to their own citizens and corporations, and ~6 trillion to foreign nations of them the 2 most motable nations which own the most of the US debt are  China and Japan, China owns 1.2 Trillion of that debt, another thing to note is as of 2014 US citizens and corps own 750 Billion dollars of Chinese debt, and that number is thought have increased significantly. 

Yea, I got my numbers wrong oops, they are the same as yours i simply forgot how big it was in total... But if they do call on their debts a issue could arise including potentially hazardous inflation.

The US has large reserves of ores, as until ~1990 the USA supplied the majority of the world ores until due to cheap Chinese labor (at the time) many of the mines were abandoned, but a good number of them are being brought back to life,  also the manufacturing power in the  US would not need to change that drastically (except in the electronics sector) as a large portion of the current power could be diverted. But the goal of the current administration is not to stop trade with other nations, as Trump recognizes that it is more profitable for him and the US to trade, he just is cracking down on China whom has been stealing foreign tech as a part of the "Made in China 2020 plan" and even before that plan was devised.

The problem isn't resources, it's producing. You can have all the minerals required (which the US has most of it to support them for at least 100 years, less oil), the problem is you could not get all the equipment and workforce required to support a nation as large as the US within 15 years. Mines and manufacturing planets have all been abandoned yes, but how many of those places would take years to get back up and working? Assuming the last mine abandoned was in 1998 (still the 90s) it's around 20 years abandoned, how safe are those mines now? If unsafe that whole deposit could be out of bounds for decades due to cave ins and collapses... You are also under estimating the aging power network in the USA as well. It could very well buckle under all the power required, it would likely equal to the same thing as every american buying a plug in EV and plugging it in all at once for 8 hours today. To make new safe plants would take upwards to 10-15 years.

Ah yes the we build a wall you pay for it administration... I wouldn't trust anything from them... Look at the steel and aluminum tariffs put on us Canadians, and soon possibly the automobiles made here (your next GM/Honda/Ford/Toyota might becomes too expensive to buy)

https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/auto-auto.nsf/eng/am00767.html

Trump could be seen as a national security threat if he proceeds with some of his lets call "threats", you yourself if you drive should be very concerned because your next car purchase could very well increase 25% if it is not made in the USA... How active he is to hinder the imports of the national requirements he could cripple the system and throw you into another recession...

The US is a vast nation, it has plenty of open land that would not interfere with crops. 

Truth is people don't want to move, so guess what the factories will go to where the people are not the people go where they want to put them... So no kiss your farm land goodbye. Tesla was the only smart ones when they built the gigafactory in the middle of nowhere...

There lies an answer!!! Robot!!! (Hey, if it's going to happen may as well make it happen in your nation right?)

That's not really a solution since most of the good robots are not american lol... However yes they will solve some of the issues but not everything... unless DT gives free education in sectors that are required like in robotics and machinists etc...

Edited by Egg-Roll
Something happened the forum posted this before I finished...

How to disable tracking 

Screenshot_20181026-152904_Nova Launcher.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

43 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

How to disable tracking 

No need to power down 

IMG_0283.jpeg

C52A8A3E-0BA0-4F71-8DEA-A2FBA322D237.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

7 hours ago, Alaradia said:

Theres no daemon in iOS for it if it is there lol. Keep that tinfoil hat on g. 

5 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

No need to power down 

giphy.gif

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just fyi, while I skipped most of the stuff said on this thread due to the 'toxicity', there might be a few points that will return in my post that were already mentioned/discussed about. 

Honestly, there are a few key points that I agree with in the video so I will go over the ones that I mostly care about. 

1. Security

I believe that Apple's iOS is more 'secure' in general than Android, but that is still somewhat debatable. Viruses or malware are still circulating mostly around Android than iOS (That's at least coming from my knowledge, but I could be wrong). While I can understand that downloading apps from other sources can be a bit more risky, I don't really see it as a security issue. By default, Android has the option of installing from unknown sources on disabled. I do like that option to be available and can be seen as a down point for iOS for not having the ability of installing outside from the App Store. Though you could 'jailbreak' and somehow get that ability, it isn't a standard feature which just misses the point. 

Android's security primarily varies from manufacture to manufacture (which is somewhat mentioned in the video, only it was about the hardware security etc.). Some have extra features, others don't. This can be seen as a normal thing, however I do like to see some kind of universal security that are required to improve protection overall for all devices ranging from manufactures. It's a good thing that Android is open source, but as described in the video, some manufactures out there modify the operating system quite a bit and most likely isn't open source and just skips the whole point. 

The thing about apps on the Google Play Store has been an issue for quite some time unfortunately and I agree that there are more malicious apps out there on the Play Store than the App Store on iOS. It's something that Google should be working on better and start enacting better policies to prevent such issues from happening. 

2. Optimization

While I never owned an iPhone myself, I can't really say much about it, but I think that iOS and Android regarding optimization in general don't really differentiate from one another. Both have seen some major problems in the past and sure, most of it is probably solved by now I suppose. Though I think that iOS is a bit more stable in general than Android over the past years. 

3. Industry Leading Support

Apple's support over their iPhones are indeed in some ways better than other manufactures out there, however I wouldn't say they are the industry's leading support company, not even close. The "planned obsolescence" thing was mostly awakened after many people around the world have been complaining about their phones slowing down and such. If it weren't for them, maybe Apple would still be doing it in some form or another. I mean, there isn't much information about it whether they actually did or not, but it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did. 

4. Longevity 

Ech, this is just something I am not certain of. Yes, it's possible you can use your iPhone from 4 - 6 years, but some of the features that you want to have will most likely not be available. Same thing is with some older Android phones. That doesn't however really 'justify' the price tag in my opinion that is mostly put on iPhones. But that can be said for other flagship phones as well.

5. The iMessage thing

Well, I can't disagree with this. For the moment, the closest Android users can get similar experience of iMessage would be WhatsApp (and maybe something else that I am personally not aware of). But it's of course not standard included on every phone. There might be a few manufactures out there that would pre-install WhatsApp, but that's not the same. If am correct, Google will introduce it's own version of iMessage sooner or later, but they should've done that long ago. 

And that's pretty much it that I wanted to post.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

On 10/24/2018 at 11:23 AM, JoostinOnline said:

I like the video, but I hate James's decision to use a flamebait title for this thread.

@James Why not use the same title as the video?

originally they both had the same title. The video title was changed last min

16 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Yea, I got my numbers wrong oops, they are the same as yours i simply forgot how big it was in total... But if they do call on their debts a issue could arise including potentially hazardous inflation.

The problem isn't resources, it's producing. You can have all the minerals required (which the US has most of it to support them for at least 100 years, less oil), the problem is you could not get all the equipment and workforce required to support a nation as large as the US within 15 years. Assuming the last mine abandoned was in 1998 (still the 90s) it's around 20 years abandoned, how safe are those mines now? If unsafe that whole deposit could be out of bounds for decades due to cave ins and collapses... You are also under estimating the aging power network in the USA as well. It could very well buckle under all the power required, it would likely equal to the same thing as every american buying a plug in EV and plugging it in all at once for 8 hours today. To make new safe plants would take upwards to 10-15 years.

Yes I have to admit as of late from what I can tell many of the most of the funding as of late has been diverted from expanding the grid to renewable energy sources, which in many areas has strained the grid, but in other areas the grid is still has much potential, but yes that does pose an short term issue. 

the problem is you could not get all the equipment and workforce required to support a nation as large as the US within 15 years. Mines and manufacturing planets have all been abandoned yes, but how many of those places would take years to get back up and working?

Many of the mines are already being brought to life, in response to a few moves that the CCP was making against several years ago in denying rare earths to some nations, factories are being brought online due to the recent growth in the US economy, and the "Second American Oil Boom".

Ah yes the we build a wall you pay for it administration... I wouldn't trust anything from them... Look at the steel and aluminum tariffs put on us Canadians, and soon possibly the automobiles made here (your next GM/Honda/Ford/Toyota might becomes too expensive to buy)

The US and Canada are putting the finishing touches on a new free trade agreement.

Trump could be seen as a national security threat if he proceeds with some of his lets call "threats", you yourself if you drive should be very concerned because your next car purchase could very well increase 25% if it is not made in the USA... How active he is to hinder the imports of the national requirements he could cripple the system and throw you into another recession...

Truth is people don't want to move, so guess what the factories will go to where the people are not the people go where they want to put them... So no kiss your farm land goodbye. Tesla was the only smart ones when they built the gigafactory in the middle of nowhere...

When a company opens a factory people move to it, that is how Detroit was created, because the Ford Motor Company built a factory there, in truth more now then ever people follow the Jobs.

That's not really a solution since most of the good robots are not american lol... However yes they will solve some of the issues but not everything... unless DT gives free education in sectors that are required like in robotics and machinists etc...

That may be the case, but in manufacturing technologies, many of the designs come out of the US, and America is a global leader robotic manufacturing, how do you think they build all their cars? The answer is robots. 

throw you into another recession...

Who ever said I was American?  Also, the world is already in another recession...

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

When a company opens a factory people move to it, that is how Detroit was created, because the Ford Motor Company built a factory there, in truth more now then ever people follow the Jobs.

People don't act that way anymore, America was young and eager back when Detroit was first founded and built up as the nations automobile capital... If Ford reopens its St.Thomas plant here in Ontario how many will go back to that town? Almost no one, they'll likely stay where they are and travel or demand Ford to pay for the cost of moving. Those in the industry have either moved on with a new career or have found a new job elsewhere.

Not to mention a lot of people who would build buildings would actually look for land close to a fairly dense populous area, because it is easier to find labor w/o having to pay for transportation and relocation costs.

The US and Canada are putting the finishing touches on a new free trade agreement.

Who cares if Canada is willing to sign anything (tho it has already harmed the metal industry a lot) if Mexico ain't...

https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/trudeau-discusses-revamped-trade-pact-tariffs-with-incoming-mexican-president

And it is uncertain if anything will even be signed this year...

That may be the case, but in manufacturing technologies, many of the designs come out of the US, and America is a global leader robotic manufacturing, how do you think they build all their cars? The answer is robots. 

Those are cars, cars do need precise machines, but not as much as phones and other items. Not to mention cars are heavy, imagine w/o robots how long it would take to build a single car. Car robotics and what we do for robotics are top in class but we are still not the robotics leaders that is still being held by places like Japan.

Who ever said I was American?  Also, the world is already in another recession...

Is it really? You can't go based on currency trade or the over inflated house prices in places like BC and Ontario, simply because political BS can cause currency to fall and rise, and housing prices in said places are cause by improper/dated regulations and some weird BS that the gov refused to control for years(including low interest rates large debts etc)... Japan also doesn't count either since their economy has been in the can for nearly 20 years. North America as a whole is not in a state of recession as of right now, everyone is seeing growth with lowering unemployment rates hire wages etc.

Also if you are not living in the usa how can you state many things? Because the press or google tells you so, maybe even Wikipedia w/o checking the sources? I still can't see the USA becoming a manufacturing power house it once was decades ago, for one simple reason. People like cheap, and because people like cheap they won't want to buy the USA built and resourced iPhone for unknown amount of money. They'll go for the iPhone that was built in China for 1/4 the price or possibly even 1/8th. Both identical, both made my Apple, but one is 100% American vs who knows where to get the best price. Remember, where you can pay a person in China say $1.50USD a hour (or in some cases a day), it would cost at least $7.25 a hour per person which could go up to $15. If you need 200 people that quickly adds up and that's only min wage not including specialists for in said countries might only require $10/hr vs possibly $25+ here in NA...

You want true american built vehicles? The closest you'll get is Tesla maybe the F-150 and such models that are truly built in the USA... But are you willing to pay the price? Or are you going to go out and buy yourself a nice little car made in Japan or possibly Canada?

https://electrek.co/2017/09/06/tesla-model-3-supply-chain-parts-us-canada-mexico/