Here’s why iPhones are better

James
30 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I mean, snowflakes will start a fight from anything. 

Even if Linus never did the video, I guarantee you that all the mindless sheep drones will still be fighting each other. 

Even just mentioning "iPhone" is enough to start a flame war. I really wished people just outgrew it. It's dumb. 

With all that said, I dislike the video title. Definitely on the level of clickbait. Something along the lines of "10 reasons why some people like iPhones" would have been less of that IMO

still there was one thing that made this all mess Linus fault from the beginning and caused all this, more than any android or iphone fan crowd. Reviewing a iphone and always blabbing about how the note was much better, some comparison is needed but that was too much. Then it snowballed to this last video.

i hope we don't get to this

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

also inb4 demands for a balance piece (for android) to this balance piece ._.

but it would be fair, still snowball

12 minutes ago, asus killer said:

still there was one thing that made this all mess Linus fault from the beginning and caused all this, more than any android or iphone fan crowd. Reviewing a iphone and always blabbing about how the note was much better, some comparison is needed but that was too much. Then it snowballed to this last video.

Thing is that, I think reviewing phones from different ecosystems is always about threading a fine line.

Especially regarding iPhones, it just seems to be a very sensitive subject 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, asus killer said:

Hes getting bashed because one video was his opinion based on his experience. And opinions arent wrong, its his live with it.

This new video his not his opinion, its some scripted forced apple fans ego stroke. Made solely because he was not apeasing the apple crowd.

Next time a asus product gets bashed will we have a next video on how asus products are so much better? 

When you are doing a review, you look at the pros and cons of the reviewed product. His first video was basically him whining about a product without looking at the positive. 

Even unboxtheraphy, a channel that's been very popular for bashing at apple stated in his channel "iPhone XS Max is a great phone, don't buy it" because he thinks OP6 represents a better value and I agree with that train of thought.

22 minutes ago, xtroria said:

When you are doing a review, you look at the pros and cons of the reviewed product. His first video was basically him whining about a product without looking at the positive. 

Even unboxtheraphy, a channel that's been very popular for bashing at apple stated in his channel "iPhone XS Max is a great phone, don't buy it" because he thinks OP6 represents a better value and I agree with that train of thought.

I agree with you in regard to the review. Still it was his opinion, seemed honest.

Now what is really bad is not sticking behind your own opinion and creating a flame war scripted video with the title * why iphones are better". 

Its so stupid to believe in one thing and spending 10 minutes stating the oposite just because you re afraid apple fans will unsubscribe. 

Iphones cant be better, the note is better. And iphones have been behind on inovation. Wait, what, i'm confused

I'd personally still choose function over fashion. I don't want to spend a extra 300 quid or so just because an item is fashionable. It's a phone not a runway item

3 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

not exactly:

It's probably already been planned, the war won't end cos he'll make a 10 things that are good about android phones. Then someone will want a 10 things apple does better than android. And so they cycle repeats

58 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

So, it is damage control? 

*waits to get called an android fanboy for asking* /jk

to me it seemed so.

13 hours ago, James said:

Buy iPhone stuff on Amazon: http://geni.us/x4tG8BW

I’ve used both iPhone and Android – including the Google Pixel 3 – phones extensively and there’s still some things that iPhone (and iOS) do better. And don’t mention Windows or Amazon phones kthnxbai.

The only way to justify your title is if the quote below is true:
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"

But then again:
"An apple a day you die anyway"

So NO apples are not better and congratulations. This post made it to the Hall of Worst Posts in LTT forums history.

14 hours ago, borus87 said:

How is "android is mostly open source" an argument for better iPhone? Like what... the fact that Android may have (and not even always do) some parts that are 3rd party locked is bad, but somehow iOS that is completely locked by Apple is somehow a good thing?

There was a memorable quote from Ars Technica - iOS basically doesn't give you enough rope to hang yourself with. 

With Android, you are free to do whatever you want with it, and the downside is that you may well end up doing the wrong thing as well. With Apple, removing the option means that while you lose the upside of having an open platform, you also don't have to contend with the downsides that ensue as well. You basically lack the means to compromise your user experience in any way. 

Another example is the recent Fortnite saga. Fortnite basically withheld their app from the google play store and forced users to sideload their installer just so they could avoid paying Google their 30% cut. With Apple, there was no way they could have gotten away with such a stunt, because Apple doesn't allow users to side load apps. As a consumer, I am actually better off with Apple, because their tight grip over their own ecosystem meant that even big companies such as Epic couldn't try this sort of stunt. And I still got Fortnite on day 1. 

What people don't seem to appreciate is that Apple's control over their ecosystem means that third party developers often have little choice but to capitulate. This is good for me as a consumer because it means I still get to install and update my apps through one centralised App Store. They kowtow to Apple's terms, rather than me having to kowtow to theirs. 

There are clearly pros and cons to this approach, but for me at least, the advantages of staying within the walled garden have more than outweighed the downsides. 

For me with Apple it would come down to 3 things

1) iOS support for years

2) iMessage and Facetime

3) Not Google.

Meh, monotone Linus is not enjoyable to watch. And im kinda perplexed that #1 reason why iphone is better is not mentioned - because it is thought to be so. Thank god Apple is slowly loosing the mindshare.

Im still of the firm opinion you dont get what you paid for with apple. Maybe with Xs you do, if you consider prestige and "halo" to be a part of the package, otherwise the premium is retarded for whats included in it.

9 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I have to admit, I am pretty upset with the Phone industry as a whole right now. It's been years since they made a phone that I actually want to buy.

Out of curiosity have you looked at cheaper phones or just top tier? Because I feel like everyone including Apple have for the last few years chased cameras only instead of actually improving actual parts of the phone. Now they are chasing face recognition and the notch...

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Only if he does it to non top tier phones ? (again copy and paste, tho this size is justified) However seeing as Linus is a top tier boy you are safe :P Since he thinks all cheap phones have to be trash, unless the company dumps a truck load of cash on his table... *cough* Honor *cough*

18 minutes ago, hobobobo said:

Im still of the firm opinion you dont get what you paid for with apple. Maybe with Xs you do, if you consider prestige and "halo" to be a part of the package, otherwise the premium is retarded for whats included in it.

They charge the price because the phone is art and not some pile of random parts and a generic OS thrown on top (android phone). Linus is right that development of a very well thought out OS costs a lot of money, but I don't think Apple should be charging so much for a 64GB phone w/o user up gradable storage...

9 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well i'm not sure some Apple sponsored youtuber saying Android sucks counts as proof, but whatever.

What are you talking about here? If you're talking about some non-LTT video, that's kind of irrelevant to the conversation.

LTT's video was not sponsored by Apple. It was sponsored by LastPass - a multi-platform App that has no more affiliation with Apple then it does Android.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Anyone still crying about the video at this point should reconsider their life choices.

MacBook Air M1 / Steam Deck

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

What are you talking about here? If you're talking about some non-LTT video, that's kind of irrelevant to the conversation.

LTT's video was not sponsored by Apple. It was sponsored by LastPass - a multi-platform App that has no more affiliation with Apple then it does Android.

No sorry, I was referring to videos from someone else people were posting to defend their argument, which really are just as relevant. Not saying the LTT video was sponsored by Apple at all, but as mentioned it seems like damage control after he got his apple fans upset,which also seem to be alot more vocal than his android fans.

*iPhone fanboys fighting Android fanboys*

Me, an intellectual with a sony ericsson phone :

original.gif

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Out of curiosity have you looked at cheaper phones or just top tier? Because I feel like everyone including Apple have for the last few years chased cameras only instead of actually improving actual parts of the phone. Now they are chasing face recognition and the notch...

I have looked at lower end phones, but right now many of the them are made by Chinese companies, who I refuse to trust my data with, or don't have the features that I want. Alas, at the moment, there is no phone for me.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

59 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

*iPhone fanboys fighting Android fanboys*

Me, an intellectual with a sony ericsson phone :

original.gif

THAT'S NOT HOW FIRE WORKS!

10 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I have looked at lower end phones, but right now many of the them are made by Chinese companies, who I refuse to trust my data with, or don't have the features that I want. Alas, at the moment, there is no phone for me.

True... A good example is a Sammy phone vs a LG phone with the same price point... LG brings more features usually but I would love a OLED display for battery life reasons...

It's the very reason why I am planing on keeping my current phone in hopes next year will provide something useful, even if it is from Sammy... Will likely need a new battery soon for it, but that's cheap since I don't have to dismantle it to gain access to the battery... (normal users don't need IPxx)

5 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

True... A good example is a Sammy phone vs a LG phone with the same price point... LG brings more features usually but I would love a OLED display for battery life reasons...

It's the very reason why I am planing on keeping my current phone in hopes next year will provide something useful, even if it is from Sammy...

Yeah, I plan to keep my V20 for at least another 2 years.  

5 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

Will likely need a new battery soon for it, but that's cheap since I don't have to dismantle it to gain access to the battery... (normal users don't need IPxx)

I argue that it is nice as water is one of the most common causes of death for a phone, but if they are going to add it, they should add it the way that they did in the S5 which both had a removable battery, and was IP67 rated.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I argue that it is nice as water is one of the most common causes of death for a phone, but if they are going to add it, they should add it the way that they did in the S5 which both had a removable battery, and was IP67 rated.

I never knew the S5 was IP rated good to know...

I've only had one phone die from water damage, and that was due to a damaged screen (like it was shattered), My stylo 3 Plus goes out in the rain all the time, only issue is the screen, which can still be a issue on IP phones. It does have a silicone rubber case that makes it good for water tightness w/o much bulk but beyond that nothing protects it next to a pocket or a jacket. I do worry about torrential downpour, but for where I live they are rare, and one said storm killed my bluetooth headset (still works wired), phone survived however.

If someone drives and barely walks they 100% don't need a IP phone like how they are today, simply because the likelihood of getting it wet or filled with dust is nearly impossible... My S4s board got corroded from dust at work with in a few months... Hence is why I stopped buying top tier phones, it overheating during said ownership is why I refuse to buy another Sammy (along with S3 issues from someone else etc) w/o looking for other options.

40 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Because SK, US and european companies won't log and trace all of your personal info /s

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB