Here’s why iPhones are better

James

This thread is entirely a bunch of fandroids saying "apple sucks because this" then the few apple fans here saying "Well actually android/google is much worse, here's proof"

Then the fandroids say "Well apple is shit because of repair and stuff and their company sucks."

I thought we were talking about phones?

And, for the record, I have easily repaired my iphone and sister's iphone at home with no issues. It's not... hard.

And HANGOUTS? Really? That's your argument against iMessage. HAHAHAHAHAHAHa I thought you guys hated when google tried to turn itself into a social network?

3 hours ago, OnyxArmos said:

Quickly, get behind the hate shield! I prefer iPhone over Android too :(  *grabs*

tumblr_p67fbqz04x1rxy3lqo1_500.gif

But seriously, why so many dislikes on the video? He makes valid points...

It seems at the moment Linus and the team can't win.

He's either too bias one way or too bias the other, personally, I think people read too much into these videos. The channel is LinusTechTips, so we're going to hear Linus views on tech and most if not all of his videos could be classified as opinion or editorial pieces.

He clearly isn't completely neutral as someone like Marques Brownlee is, maybe that's why Marques is the most popular phone reviewer in the world right now?

7 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I love this thread.  

Android people,  "Traitor!"

Apple people, "Android, android, android!"

TEST YOUR MIGHT!

Image result for android vs apple

EDIT: Also, I wouldn't mind if LMG just removed the term 'review' from their videos on new products and just replaced it with 'My thoughts' or 'Our take' or something a rather. It's probably more accurate and then people would have less reason to complain. Although, these most recent videos haven't had the term Review in the title and people still got upset so I dunno.

2 hours ago, fulminemizzega said:

Its a mechanical switch, maybe it's still expensive even in volume to make a precise enough and reliable enough. And you also have to test it in some way, not manually.

Wouldn’t imagine much more expensive than a volume or power button. It’s just a different mechanism but same principle w/ software control.

People say all the time, with proof, that the iPhone is cheap to manufacture. 

20 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

This thread is entirely a bunch of fandroids saying "apple sucks because this" then the few apple fans here saying "Well actually android/google is much worse, here's proof"

Then the fandroids say "Well apple is shit because of repair and stuff and their company sucks."

I thought we were talking about phones?

And, for the record, I have easily repaired my iphone and sister's iphone at home with no issues. It's not... hard.

Well i'm not sure some Apple sponsored youtuber saying Android sucks counts as proof, but whatever.

You can call people "fandroids" and blindly ignore how sh*tty Apple is in regards to right to repair if you want, Apple aren't the only ones that lobby against the consumer's ability to actually own their device either though they are one of the worst. But being able to repair stuff yourself with easily obtainable parts would be better for the whole tech industry.

And tell the 3rd party certified techs how easy it is to repair iphones when some have been sued over schematics or have had replacement hardware seized because Apple is overly pretentious with their hardware.

12 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

What model?

13 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

And HANGOUTS? Really? That's your argument against iMessage. HAHAHAHAHAHAHa I thought you guys hated when Google tried to turn itself into a social network?

Hangout is pretty good, Google+ was a nightmare.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

14 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I have to admit, I am pretty upset with the Phone industry as a whole right now. It's been years since they made a phone that I actually want to buy.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What model?

Hangout is pretty good, Google+ was a nightmare.

I replaced the screen on her... 6 twice, and replaced a bunch of stuff on my 4 back in the day, and replaced the screen and home button on my 6. You can buy the parts from china for super cheap. 

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Ok, fair point, for a do-it-yourselfer (like you) that is great that you have the skills to do it.

But that isn't the argument the "Fandroids" (as you call them) are making. Apple is forcing customers to use an Apple Authorized repair centre, and third party companies are getting sued. Apple is fighting hard to make it more difficult for you to repair their devices by anyone other than who they say are permitted to. Again, I like to cite sources, and this time it is the Huffington Post:

"Apple Is Fighting A Secret War To Keep You From Repairing Your Phone"
The company has repeatedly opposed legislation that would help, experts say.
By Damon Beres
Andy Campbell

06/09/2016 

and 9to5mac.com:

"Apple fighting new ‘right to repair’ legislation after successfully lobbying against it in the past"

Ben Lovejoy Feb. 15th 2017

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well i'm not sure some Apple sponsored youtuber saying Android sucks counts as proof, but whatever.

You can call people "fandroids" and blindly ignore how sh*tty Apple is in regards to right to repair if you want, Apple aren't the only ones that lobby against the consumer's ability to actually own their device either though they are one of the worst. But being able to repair stuff yourself with easily obtainable parts would be better for the whole tech industry.

And tell the 3rd party certified techs how easy it is to repair iphones when some have been sued over schematics or have had replacement hardware seized because Apple is overly pretentious with their hardware.

Geeze conspiracy theory much? Apple sponsored youtuber? Is everyone who speaks badly of android phones sponsored by apple? 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I replaced the screen on her... 6 twice, and replaced a bunch of stuff on my 4 back in the day, and replaced the screen and home button on my 6. You can buy the parts from china for super cheap. 

That explains it, you bought the phones before they got hard to fix, believe me I know, and just make sure to watch out for touch disease. Also do note, almost all phones are hard to repair these days, it ain't just Apple. Apple is just leading the charge.

1 minute ago, QuixoticRogue said:

Ok, fair point, for a do-it-yourselfer (like you) that is great that you have the skills to do it.

But that isn't the argument the "Fandroids" (as you call them) are making. Apple is forcing customers to use an Apple Authorized repair centre, and third party companies are getting sued. Apple is fighting hard to make it more difficult for you to repair their devices by anyone other than who they say are permitted to. Again, I like to cite sources, and this time it is the Huffington Post:

"Apple Is Fighting A Secret War To Keep You From Repairing Your Phone"
The company has repeatedly opposed legislation that would help, experts say.
By Damon Beres
Andy Campbell

06/09/2016 

and 9to5mac.com:

"Apple fighting new ‘right to repair’ legislation after successfully lobbying against it in the past"

Ben Lovejoy Feb. 15th 2017

Put yourself in their shoes. 

You make a highly technological product that is prone to break if dropped or exposed to water. You make good money off of the often very easy repairs. The repairs you don't want to fix, you simply say "replace the board." Now lots and lots of really shitty repair shops will say they'll repair your phone, but they'll usually do it wrong, with shitty hardware, leading to a worse user experience for the customer. That gives apple a bad name. 

Sure, for skilled repair shops like Rossmann, that's shitty, but really apple is just trying to protect it's image. And besides, it's standard business practice. 

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Geeze conspiracy theory much? Apple sponsored youtuber? Is everyone who speaks badly of android phones sponsored by apple? 

It ain't a conspiracy that is actually happening. I have denied it before, but I can't deny it now. Apple wants to control your device at every turn, from the moment it leaves the factory to the moment it meets the landfill. 

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

That explains it, you bought the phones before they got hard to fix, believe me I know, and just make sure to watch out for touch disease. Also do note, almost all phones are hard to repair these days, it ain't just Apple. Apple is just leading the charge.

You're right, and I refuse to upgrade to the overpriced piece of craps they have now. ;) IF I do buy an apple phone, it'll be the small one... what is it... the 5s or something?

4 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It ain't a conspiracy that is actually happening. I have denied it before, but I can't deny it now. Apple wants to control your device at every turn, from the moment it leaves the factory to the moment it meets the landfill. 

I mean... that's what... most companies... want to do... 

Go anywhere outside your bubble and ask people who services their enterprise printers, copiers, printing machines in the newspaper plants. Ask construction workers who services their Backhoe? I can almost guarantee you for 99% of them it's the same person that sold it to them......

I mean for heaven's sake, have you ever bought a new car? Ever see the "service" deals they try to make you do? Ever notice that they'll say that the warranty doesn't cover outside repairs? I mean jesus christ it's freaking standard business practice, yet only apple is evil for doing it....

Just now, corrado33 said:

You're right, and I refuse to upgrade to the overpriced piece of craps they have now. ;) IF I do buy an apple phone, it'll be the small one... what is it... the 5s or something?

The Iphone SE. Honestly the main reason besides the great amount of feature it has (even if some are half baked) That I have chosen Android phones is because of the removable battery. (and on my current phone the quad dac) 

1 minute ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

The Iphone SE. Honestly the main reason besides the great amount of feature it has (even if some are half baked) That I have chosen Android phones is because of the removable battery. (and on my current phone the quad dac) 

Honestly, batteries haven't been an issue for me, and if they have they've failed within the first year giving me a free replacement. Even my old iphone 4 still lasts the day if I'm not playing on it constantly. 

Then again, I'm a light user. 

10 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

It sucks that everyone is copying Apple with almost impossible to repair phones,I also miss replaceable batteries  Wasn't there also something with the 6 or 6s where replacement buttons prevent you from using the phone or something?

7 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

The iphone SE? it's the smallest one, not sure if they still make it but i've been to several AT&T stores that still carry it. I'd pick it over anything else from Apple except the iphone 8 since i can't stand the notch. Tbh i'd like an updated iphone SE with smaller bezels and touch ID on the back.

I mean... that's what... most companies... want to do... 

Go anywhere outside your bubble and ask people who services their enterprise printers, copiers, printing machines in the newspaper plants. Ask construction workers who services their Backhoe? I can almost guarantee you for 99% of them it's the same person that sold it to them......

I mean for heaven's sake, have you ever bought a new car? Ever see the "service" deals they try to make you do? Ever notice that they'll say that the warranty doesn't cover outside repairs? 

All companies WANT to but Apple is the only ones whom have had the guts to take people to court over "counterfeit" screens that had broken glass, and were thereby sent to China to get refurbished with new glass. And build their computers so that when you take the top back off, you will need to bring it to an Apple service center to have them unlock the device.

Honestly, batteries haven't been an issue for me, and if they have they've failed within the first year giving me a free replacement. Even my old iphone 4 still lasts the day if I'm not playing on it constantly. 

Then again, I'm a light user. 

Li-Ion batteries are only designed to last 2-3 years meanwhile the rest of the device is designed to last 5-7, I have had to replace the battery once on my S5 two years ago, that I recently replaced, due to a dead USB port, (I still intend to get some life out of it by installing a Chi charging coil on the port by the battery which was originally designed for the Chi charging back that Samsung sold separately) and on the phone I chose to buy used this time around, my LG V20 I already need to replace it's battery.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It sucks that everyone is copying Apple with almost impossible to repair phones,I also miss replaceable batteries  Wasn't there also something with the 6 or 6s where replacement buttons prevent you from using the phone or something?

The iphone SE? it's the smallest one, not sure if they still make it but i've been to several AT&T stores that still carry it. I'd pick it over anything else from Apple except the iphone 8 since i can't stand the notch. Tbh i'd like an updated iphone SE with smaller bezels and touch ID on the back.

I don't really think it's apple driving the "unrepairability" of phones. Everyone wants "thinner" and "sleeker" and that doesn't give the phone much area to hide seams and flaws. Therefore disassembling them is hard. 

6 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Wasn't there also something with the 6 or 6s where replacement buttons prevent you from using the phone or something?

Yes the 6S.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Oops, that was the wrong video

This is the one I meant to post

Sorry, but you're world view is entirely false. 

yeah yeah people b ring this up and don't know you can disable it No turning off your gps on your phone or lcoation tracking isnt egough you need to go on your computer and into the settings to disable all timeline functionality but you can disable it. its ironic since apple literally added a barometer to their phones since they were not happy they couldnt accurately track what floor of a building you were in 

33 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Put yourself in their shoes. 

You make a highly technological product that is prone to break if dropped or exposed to water. You make good money off of the often very easy repairs. The repairs you don't want to fix, you simply say "replace the board." Now lots and lots of really shitty repair shops will say they'll repair your phone, but they'll usually do it wrong, with shitty hardware, leading to a worse user experience for the customer. That gives apple a bad name. 

Sure, for skilled repair shops like Rossmann, that's shitty, but really apple is just trying to protect it's image. And besides, it's standard business practice. 

While I agree that Apple does need to protect their name, and I also agree that Apple (as a private company) has the right to try and sell their repair service as the first point of contact. I have sympathy for Apple (after all I keep buying their products) and I always go to the Apple Store and wait in line to talk to their tech support first despite their long turn around. However, you cannot turn a blind eye to the fact that there are some good 3rd party companies that can do a decent job.

For example, I had an old iPod touch screen replaced recently by a 3rd party after the Apple Store refused to fix it (it is very old, running iOS 9 - Apple would have offered me a $25 credit towards a new one, except that because the screen was cracked it was in their opinion worthless). The third party company was able to do it perfectly in an hour without an appointment - I literally dropped it off, went for lunch, ate, picked it up and went back to work.

The fact they could do that so quickly and perfectly (you would never know it was repaired) I believe speaks well of the product. I would hate to see Apple run them out of business. Was it worth $100CDN to repair an old iPod when a new one would cost $250? Probably not - but then throwing away a working piece of electronics is difficult for me. My point is this, having more competition, and access to other manufacturers or refurbished replacement screens would likely have brought the price down significantly.

I do see your point, If the company put a cheap and crappy screen on it, and I decided to give it away, or sell it, it would probably not look good for Apple. But I think that decision should be up to me, and not Apple.

3 minutes ago, Alaradia said:

yeah yeah people b ring this up and don't know you can disable it No turning off your gps on your phone or lcoation tracking isnt egough you need to go on your computer and into the settings to disable all timeline functionality but you can disable it. its ironic since apple literally added a barometer to their phones since they were not happy they couldnt accurately track what floor of a building you were in 

This is incoherent and I can't understand what you are saying. idk what "timeline functionality" since that is a MS technology and Apple added a barometer so you could track how many floors you moved up for the health app. Data of which does not leave your phone, ever. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)