Apple quietly updated their MacBook Pros with 8th gen CPUs, 32GB RAM, True Tone displays, 3rd gen butterfly keyboards

Apple: https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

Source: https://www.techradar.com/news/apple-announces-new-range-of-powerful-macbook-pro-models

Source 2: https://9to5mac.com/2018/07/12/apple-macbook-pro-with-touch-bar-updated-with-max-32-gb-ram-improved-third-generation-keyboard-true-tone-and-new-intel-chips/

macbook-pro-2018.png.7a937a4a794729d69caa3bb94ea2645d.png

So Apple just updated the MacBook Pros right after the rumor that broke out yesterday. Updated specs include

For 15-inch

• Six-core Intel Core i7 and Core i9 processors up to 2.9GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
  • Up to 32GB of DDR4 memory 
  • Powerful Radeon Pro discrete graphics with 4GB of video memory in every configuration
  • Up to 4TB of SSD storage
  • True Tone display technology
  • Apple T2 chip 
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Starting at $2,399

For 13-inch

• Quad-core Intel Core i5 and i7 processors up to 2.7GHz with Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz and double the eDRAM
  • Intel Iris Plus integrated graphics 655 with 128MB of eDRAM
  • Upto 16GB RAM
  • Up to 2TB of SSD storage
  • True Tone display technology
  • Apple T2 chip
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Starting at $1,799

Other improvements/notes include

• 3rd gen butterfly keyboard that makes typing quieter (and hopefully rid of the previously failed design)
  • As Apple points out, new MacBook Pro has been designed to compile code faster, and run multiple virtual machines and test environments better than before
  • There's also new "Hey Siri" support with Apple's custom T2 silicon chip which also delivers enhanced system security and secure boot
  • Improved cooling system
  • Apple has also partnered up with BlackMagic Design to provide an eGPU for $699 with Radeon Pro 580

It's also noted that Apple shifted the 15-inch from LPDDR3 to DDR4 that might have negative consequences to the battery, but Apple has actually increased the battery capacity to 7.7 watt hours to compensate

I'm personally pretty stoked on the updated core count and true tone display. All the new models will be available online and in stores later this week

Ayyy, Apple isnt passing off a dual core in a Macbook PRO anymore

Edit: Gave them too much credit, they still sell the dual-core in the non-touchbar 13inch model.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

4 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

the new MacBook Pro has been designed to compile code faster, and run multiple virtual machines and test environments better than before

You mean what more cores natually do in a machine with VMs? What a bullshit statement.

But at least they are finally on 8th gen.

Good to see gradual improvements still.

How are those Radeon Pro graphics cards? How are they for gaming, on par with a GTX 1050Ti or something?

holy FUCK ITS HAPPENING

edit:

not on apple canada. fuck.

Screenshot_2018-07-12_08-59-08.png

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Hopefully they found a way to cool it properly. 

Edit:

Not familiar with my Macbooks, have they been using vapor chamber or something better than standard copper heat pipes?

Edited by Dissitesuxba11s

>Macs actually are good at specs for once (except Mac Pro)

this is extremely surprising

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

holy FUCK ITS HAPPENING

edit:

I just checked and they seem to be updated now. 

Edit: they’re also showing off BlackMagic’s eGPU support 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

3 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

in that form factor unlikely.  But i'll keep an open ear

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

holy FUCK ITS HAPPENING

edit:

Finally! The Core per Kidney ratio is increasing!

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Given that even 15W CPUs in MacBooks only are allowed a fan speed increase when the temperature reaches 104C "Cool" is not the correct term; "Can it prevent thermal shutdown" is a better fit.

5 minutes ago, themctipers said:

holy FUCK ITS HAPPENING

edit:

It will be available worldwide later this week

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

You mean what more cores natually do in a machine with VMs? What a bullshit statement.

But at least they are finally on 8th gen.

It's just press statements. They're not meant for us

Right after the video of Dave Lee hating on apple for using old hardware, lol.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

5 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

I just checked and they seem to be updated now. 

Edit: they’re also showing off BlackMagic’s eGPU support 

holy fuck I am unlucky..

Screenshot_2018-07-12_09-05-16.png.24f2f5d6d7a46bcda840ecdf82a5989f.png

the apple fanboy in me right now is drooling and dying because of this, but the keyboard..

and then I saw the pricing, ctrl + w

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

holy fuck I am unlucky..

Screenshot_2018-07-12_09-05-16.png.24f2f5d6d7a46bcda840ecdf82a5989f.png

the apple fanboy in me right now is drooling and dying because of this, but the keyboard..

and then I saw the pricing, ctrl + w

Tbh the 32GB of DDR4 and i9 are enough to make me debate upgrading my 2016 MBP ??

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

2 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

Tbh the 32GB of DDR4 and i9 are enough to make me debate upgrading my 2016 MBP ??

As a fellow 2016 MBP owner...same lol. Tho I am curious how much the one with 32 GB and i9 will cost. Starting price for lower models is nice indeed.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

14 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well technically it is correct....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Blade of Grass said:

I've pretty much decided on selling my T480 to get a P52 at this point though, I feel in deep love with trackpoint and the decent keyboard on the T480 (1.7mm travel though, ow my fingers)

I forgot that MBP was stuck at 16GB of ram, rip. I was stuck on 12GB and swapping like hell until I got 24GB.. if things goes well then P52 will also have 24GB (keeping my 1x16, selling the 1x8/1x4 w/ the T480) '

T480 has no HDMI 2.0. Fuck the dongle life, all I get is 2 USB C, one is for power so one USB C, and the one USB C is forced to be a HDMI 2.0 via an adapter that does USB C DP Alt mode -> HDMI 2.0. Why no power passthrough? because every fucking dongle does 60w and this laptop needs more than the default 65w brick because I have nvidia, quad core i5, and 1440p IPS in a laptop package.. now I only have 2 USB A ports, and lol keyboard, mouse, now you have none!

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, Gullerback said:

in that form factor unlikely.  But i'll keep an open ear

9 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Given that even 15W CPUs in MacBooks only are allowed a fan speed increase when the temperature reaches 104C "Cool" is not the correct term; "Can it prevent thermal shutdown" is a better fit.

I'm giving Apple the benefit of the doubt, and wait and see how they handle the thermal issue with higher speed/higher core count CPU's. 

4 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

As a fellow 2016 MBP owner...same lol. Tho I am curious how much the one with 32 GB and i9 will cost. Starting price for lower models is nice indeed.

The base 15" starts at $2400, add $300-400 for 16GB Apple RAM, $350-450 for an i9 base model and you will end up with something to expensive even for Apple standards; and note that this is only for 256GB SSD storage.

7 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Yeah, depending on the price it might just be worth getting a desktop Mac instead. Will have to see. 

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well technically it is correct....

The best kind of correct ;) 

15" MBP TB

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I'm giving Apple the benefit of the doubt, and wait and see how they handle the thermal issue with higher speed/higher core count CPU's. 

They said they could keep the Mac Pro cool yet even the base 8 core model can barely sustain its base clock if the GPU is used.

Keeping the temperature of the core at 100C certainly isn't good for the thermal paste or chip as well as leading to extreme case temperatures (try touch the metal near the exhaust port for few seconds).

2 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

About time. Nice to see an i9 on a Macbook.

Survival kit:

• water
  • food
  • firelighters i9 MacBook Pro + Furmark + Prime95 + modified EFI

Hold on, why are the non-touch bar models left with older processors? 

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

This is really weird, just coming out of nowhere with no keynote or fanfare. I also would've expected them to say something about the keyboards; as it stands, even if they have fixed the reliability issues I wouldn't trust them without some kind of official acknowledgement that "Yes, there was a problem, but it's fixed now".

What a strange release.