Apple quietly updated their MacBook Pros with 8th gen CPUs, 32GB RAM, True Tone displays, 3rd gen butterfly keyboards

26 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Well technically it is correct....

Yeah its correct but dont give me the bullshit that "it was designed around it". 

1 minute ago, Christophe Corazza said:

This is really weird, just coming out of nowhere with no keynote or fanfare. I also would've expected them to say something about the keyboards; as it stands, even if they have fixed the reliability issues I wouldn't trust them without some kind of official acknowledgement that "Yes, there was a problem, but it's fixed now".

What a strange release.

They did admit it was a problem by deploying a recall program. But I guess part of the reason they also did it quietly was so that they wouldn't have to say anything about their embarrassing mistake on stage

6 minutes ago, Christophe Corazza said:

This is really weird, just coming out of nowhere with no keynote or fanfare. I also would've expected them to say something about the keyboards; as it stands, even if they have fixed the reliability issues I wouldn't trust them without some kind of official acknowledgement that "Yes, there was a problem, but it's fixed now".

What a strange release.

Pretty sure Apple has traditionally done iterative hardware refreshes like this. See: most iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Pro, etc refreshes. They only really do announcements for phones and larger feature updates. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Not even gonna bother googling what their bs marketing speak true tone display is. Retina display 2.0 i assume. 

3 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Not even gonna bother googling what their bs marketing speak true tone display is. Retina display 2.0 i assume. 

True tone display adjusts the colour temperatures of the screen based on ambient lighting conditions. It's designed to be much easier on the eye.

But of course it can be turned off and is disabled by default in any colour sensitive apps

They've had this tech in iPad Pro lineups for years now and also the last gen iPhone 8, 8 plus and the X

Well looks like Linus can no longer complain about the RAM and core count. 

Though I was a bit bummed that the non-touch bar MacBook Pro didn’t got the quad core treatment 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

£6,209 for a 2.9GHz 6 Core i9, 32GB RAM and 4TB SSD isn't too bad...

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

9 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

True tone display adjusts the colour temperatures of the screen based on ambient lighting conditions. It's designed to be much easier on the eye.

But of course it can be turned off and is disabled by default in any colour sensitive apps

They've had this tech in iPad Pro lineups for years now and also the last gen iPhone 8, 8 plus and the X

Oh thats lame. Most people have cheap LED lighting nowadays so if it adjusts the white point to match the ambient lighting its doing a disservice to your eyes.

Much better to just use the built in OSD on a monitor and set it to warm for everything except colour critical work, which youd want the exact white point calibrated for. Or use the slider and turn the blue down by 50-75% in Windows or Blue Light Filter in Android. F.Lux was nice to bring general awareness to the issue but just about everything can be easily calibrated to be less retina destroying nowadays.

29 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Yeah its correct but dont give me the bullshit that "it was designed around it". 

The CPU is near the middle of the computer and then they design the parts around it? :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

47 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Hold on, why are the non-touch bar models left with older processors? 

These new, announced, models do not have non-touch bar variants.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

These new, announced, models do not have non-touch bar variants.

Why not? Frankly, I'm sick of the touch bars. 400 USD isn't worth it for a touch bar.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

I've noticed Apple is adopting the same dark theme'd spec-focused web page the iMac Pro had. It's a good step forward for apple

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

15 minutes ago, Amazonsucks said:

Oh thats lame. Most people have cheap LED lighting nowadays so if it adjusts the white point to match the ambient lighting its doing a disservice to your eyes.

Much better to just use the built in OSD on a monitor and set it to warm for everything except colour critical work, which youd want the exact white point calibrated for. Or use the slider and turn the blue down by 50-75% in Windows or Blue Light Filter in Android. F.Lux was nice to bring general awareness to the issue but just about everything can be easily calibrated to be less retina destroying nowadays.

I don't think it shifts to blue all that much. I've seen it mainly working on my iPad Pro when I shift between warm and cold light sources. But don't quote me on this.

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Why not? Frankly, I'm sick of the touch bars. 400 USD isn't worth it for a touch bar.

I can only guess. Perhaps Apple is trying to get this Touch Bar more widely used. At least it also brings Touch ID along.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

shame that only the touchbar models are upgraded. i dont have much use for a touchbar (apart from touch id). still, tempted by a quad-core MBP

Oh god I can only imagine how hot and how much thermal throttling there will be. Would there even be any point getting the 8950HK? You might have very short bursts of higher single core than the 8750H but it wouldn’t be long till that drops way down.

The new XPS with 8950HK thermal throttles to 3GHz on all cores and that historically has had a much beefier cooling solution that MBP’s.

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

You mean what more cores natually do in a machine with VMs? What a bullshit statement.

Virtual machines use physical system resources; more resources(CPU cores, RAM, etc) = better performance in VMs and higher ability to run multiple VMs.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

This is what I was hoping the new Macbook specs were going to be like, 2 years ago when the freaking macbooks came out. Finally 32GB of RAM, new updated keyboard, and better core counts. Shame it's 5 grand for the best model here in Canada. I want it tho. I will just mortgage my entire life to make it happen.

21 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

Oh god I can only imagine how hot and how much thermal throttling there will be. Would there even be any point getting the 8950HK? You might have very short bursts of higher single core than the 8750H but it wouldn’t be long till that drops way down.

The new XPS with 8950HK thermal throttles to 3GHz on all cores and that historically has had a much beefier cooling solution that MBP’s.

Yeah probably not.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Hold on, why are the non-touch bar models left with older processors? 

Money.

They want to sell you the touch bar. Also, it'll reduce the impact of the new 13 model if they all get quad cores.

Tl;dr incentive to buy the new more expensive model. 

It's the exact same business model Microsoft just showcased with their new Surface Go. It's starts at $400 but you need to spend $550 to get the non-gimped version and then for some reason you need to buy the $100 DLC separately (hint: the keyboard).

These new MacBook Pros suck. 

$1,799 for a 13” with a Quad Core, 8GB of DDR3, with only 256GB of storage and no dGPU? Yeah, thanks but not thanks. 

That model should be the entry MacBook Pro and cost $1,500 at the most.

These prices are just insane. I think my 2016 nTB is going to be staying with me for a long time. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

3 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

I was a major skeptic of true tone actually being good, typically auto-light correction stuff is fucking garbage. After getting my iPhone X I'll never want to use a mobile device without it again.

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

$1,799 for a 13” with a Quad Core, 8GB of DDR3, with only 256GB of storage and no dGPU? Yeah, thanks but not thanks. 

These prices are just insane. I think my 2016 nTB is going to be staying with me for a long time. 

Apple has been so generous to give you more cores so, like Microsoft, you'll now pay for your device on a per core basis.

4 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Apple has been so generous to give you more cores so, like Microsoft, you'll now pay for your device on a per core basis.

Screw that. I only got this 2016 models because it was on sale for Presidents' Day at my local BestBuy for $1,250. Even if I could sell this thing for that much, no way in hell I'll be paying another $500 for 2 Cores and a gimmick. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why are you surprised? It was exactly the same before. If anything you get two more cores for the same price. And I don't think anything this sleek in 13-inch form factor have any kind of decent dGPUs

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah I agree. Maybe next year