Tesla finally meets Model 3 production goal.

Time for more annoying Elon Musk news!

The demand for Tesla's model 3 car has been enormous from the start. The car is supposed to be the product that takes Tesla from a manufacturer of niche, ultra-luxury electric cars to a bonified brand producing luxury, but reasonably priced electric cars. However, while the demand for the car is there, Tesla has been struggling to produce the car quickly. With only two factories in Nevada and Fremont California to supply cars for the 400,000+ (I think) reservation holders, Tesla failed to meet any of its previous production goals and the company was burning through cash to try and produce the car. 

However, Elon Musk announced a slight bit of progress of Twitter claiming Tesla had produced 7,000 cars in a week, 5,000 of which were Model 3 sedans. Elon Musk had stated in the past that the company's goal was to reach a production rate of 5,000 Model 3s per week. This means Tesla (maybe) has finally reached their goal.

5b39af6fd67e9_ScreenShot2018-07-01at9_52_21PM.png.1f6ae3b6e8cec56b8152ea87b6ff7ac0.png

Despite this news, this doesn't mean Tesla will be smooth sailing now. It is still very unclear if Tesla can sustain this production rate. After all, they had to build a giant tent outside of the Fremont Factory to house one of the Model 3 production lines...

Tesla_Erects_Tent_as_Supplemental_Model_

Sources:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1013519243030253570

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/29/tesla-q2-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

I've seen more model 3's in NY in the last month than since they were released. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

If you thought a Chevy Lumina built on a Friday afternoon at 4 PM can be iffy... imagine the ownership experience of the person that paid 65k for a Model 3 built at 5 AM on a Sunday in a tent.

5 hours ago, AskTJ said:

Wonder how many will sell.

Aren't they, like, sold already? The whole Tesla problem is because they have more demand than supply which means that basically every car they make now is already sold.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Nice, hope they can keep it up 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Only after a year!!! they reached their goal half of all the people would have gotten their cars by now but nope

Weren't they struggling with like the metal fab being done wrong by whoever they used and having to send many frames and shit into a local repair shop? 

Seems like these cars will be rush jobs, idk. I worry about battery fires that will have a lasting impact on electric car adoption. It would take one Ford Pinto to literally delay adoption for years with all of the attention tesla gets in the media. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

The permit they have for the tent is only good for a couple months, I wonder what their plan is when that expires?

I'm glad to see more competition in the market, but I'm unconvinced by the Tesla business plan. Time will tell I guess. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

4 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

The permit they have for the tent is only good for a couple months, I wonder what their plan is when that expires?

I'm glad to see more competition in the market, but I'm unconvinced by the Tesla business plan. Time will tell I guess. 

someone at ford had tweeted back at them, "7000 cars, 4 hours"

made me laugh

ah it was the CEO lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

12 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

someone at ford had tweeted back at them, "7000 cars, 4 hours"

made me laugh

ah it was the CEO lol

Yup. Therein lies the problem. If tesla wants to compete in the "normal car" market instead of the premium luxury market, they have to compete with the Ford, Toyota, and Honda who have been building cars in far greater numbers for a far longer time. Certainly an uphill battle, but credit where credit is due, 7000 cars per week was their production goal, and they reached it.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Yup. Therein lies the problem. If tesla wants to compete in the "normal car" market instead of the premium luxury market, they have to compete with the Ford, Toyota, and Honda who have been building cars in far greater numbers for a far longer time. Certainly an uphill battle, but credit where credit is due, 7000 cars per week was their production goal, and they reached it.

hey if they keep hitting numbers; they'll get there eventually.

They certainly have the hype/demand already. they just need to work to keep it.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

All the short term sellers have lost a total of 1 BL from their investments, get fucked. 

So setting up a giant tent and presumably short term leasing the machinery to fill then tent? Can they still turn a profit on a model 3 off the temporary line? Or are they widening their losses? It's all very well hitting 5000 cars an a week, but if they are not making a profit, Tesla are just digging themselves deeper. We'll see I guess.  

22 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

All the short term sellers have lost a total of 1 BL from their investments, get fucked. 

Almost all of them were gambling with other peoples money, they won't care.

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

So setting up a giant tent and presumably short term leasing the machinery to fill then tent? Can they still turn a profit on a model 3 off the temporary line? Or are they widening their losses? It's all very well hitting 5000 cars an a week, but if they are not making a profit, Tesla are just digging themselves deeper. We'll see I guess.  

They expect to hit 6K per week in August, so the cost of that line may not matter much in the near future.  Also, don't forget that Tesla recently cut 9 percent of its workforce and has been trimming other costs.  We'll know for sure how well it worked when Tesla reports its Q3 figures (the first full quarter with 5K+ weekly production).

Now let's hope fit and finish doesn't suffer because of it. We all know what happened to the AMC Pacer when they ramped up production to meet demand. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Monkey Dust said:

Almost all of them were gambling with other peoples money, they won't care.

True, people who's money will be fairly pissed then, losing that much money would piss off anyone. 

11 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Now let's hope fit and finish doesn't suffer because of it. We all know what happened to the AMC Pacer when they've ramped up production to meet demand. 

They've said they're maintaining the same quality, but the proof will be in the pudding.  I'm just glad they're aware of what many people are worried about.

On 7/2/2018 at 12:58 AM, AskTJ said:

Wonder how many will sell.

All would sell, unless pre-ordering means something else.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero