Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

37 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don't care who you are, manual is no fun in stop and go traffic lol

I love the visceral connection of barely letting off the clutch to roll 5 feet and depressing it again, over and over. God driving is so much fun with a manual. /s

6 hours ago, Boyohan said:

I couldn't decide so I have both. 

One automatic(CVT) daily driving:

One manual for fun:

image.thumb.jpeg.270498dfd2d31a4329f2e86e0291e514.jpeg

I have to ask a stupid question, looks like a pretty fancy estate there...why gravel driveway/roadway? That would just slay me getting my cars dusty and hearing the gravel sling around under the car and in the wheel wells.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I love the visceral connection of barely letting off the clutch to roll 5 feet and depressing it again, over and over. God driving is so much fun with a manual. /s

Nothing is more engaging than never getting out of your clutches engagement point.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

13 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Personally I'd prefer to own a manual M2 Comp over a DCT but I'd rather have a DSG golf R over a manual for example.

Funny, that's the opposite for me: BMW's auto (I'm not sure if it was DCT) is what made me feel like I'm not missing manual anymore, while Golf R w/ DSG made me want a manual.

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I don't care who you are, no car is fun in stop and go traffic lol

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

As for the constant shifting, if you drive a lot - it's second nature to you, so you might not realize that you are shifting when you don't pay attention. Just like in traffic jam or in any random commute you don't think about pressing gas or breaks or look around - it is all reflexes.

14 minutes ago, rikitikitavi said:

As for the constant shifting, if you drive a lot - it's second nature to you, so you might not realize that you are shifting when you don't pay attention. Just like in traffic jam or in any random commute you don't think about pressing gas or breaks or look around - it is all reflexes.

Okay but... it's a waste of time an energy and clutch material.

1 hour ago, rikitikitavi said:

Funny, that's the opposite for me: BMW's auto (I'm not sure if it was DCT) is what made me feel like I'm not missing manual anymore, while Golf R w/ DSG made me want a manual.

Meanwhile my M240i is auto and I feel the same way about the DSG GTIs, would rather have a manual one of those lol.

All just comes down to the individual cars

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

I have to ask a stupid question, looks like a pretty fancy estate there...why gravel driveway/roadway? That would just slay me getting my cars dusty and hearing the gravel sling around under the car and in the wheel wells.

Oh that is not my place, It is just a nice spot to take some pictures 🙂

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

On 9/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, IPD said:

Ever since the ZF 8 speed first came out, AT's have been (capable of being)  worlds better in virtually every measurable metric.  The tipping point for me was reading the reviews of the brand new R171 SLK55 AMG.  With a weight and HP disadvantage, it still managed to beat a manual C6 base Corvette in the 1/4.

Transmissions have improved dramatically since the 1990s.  AT's will now frequently beat MT's in MPG, shift times, quarter-mile times, etc.  There's a reason why MT's have been dying out--and it's because all of the lauded advantages (true in decades past) are now virtually gone.  I myself can't stand rowing gears any longer because I'm left with the feeling that I'm just never going to quite get the performance out of it that I can with doing the same action via paddle shifters. 

It is not about how good they are or they would not have put one in a Supra.

It is the level of fun for those who like it.

Also manuals are dying out because they are an unnessasery skill. 

There are lots of unnessasery skills out there that people still enjoy doing. 

14 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Some are.

I had a 2012 WRX 5 speed and it was fine on my expressway commute but when I went to a street commute it was unbearable. 

I replaced it with a 2013 BRZ and it was perfect in heavy traffic.

I used it up until 2017 and replaced it with another BRZ. 

I did the commute in plenty of automatic rental cars and it was not a better experience so I had no reason to change.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

This is a solid titanium valve from a NASCAR engine. Idk what car it was it but just look at the size of that thing. Just got that from my dad 

17404568-A406-44B0-AD79-3BFA783F03F0.jpeg

F6DD7B28-7A25-4E81-81B7-4C17D896D7E0.jpeg

So back in July the GF's 16 Escape got a Ford safety recall notice in the mail for might not go into or stay in park, parts available Q4 2022. This morning she calls me from the driveway at 5:30 saying car won't come out of park but like the shifter moves but it's loose. Yeah you know what happened. So I went out and confirmed, she took a $50 Uber to work (she's too short to comfortably drive my old Mazda) and will take the train home. I took her car to work, checked with Ford, yeah parts don't exist right now for that. I could change the whole cable if I wanted, there were like 4 left in the area at random dealers.  That's a very not fun job.

So I fixed it my damn self! Gotta make sure they give this back after the recall. 100% Ford could make a retainer bracket that would fix the issue for life or they can just use better materials. Ever seen a Honda or Toyota with a shift cable bushing wear out and cable pop off? I haven't.

20220912_144256.jpg

20220912_144313.jpg

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

So back in July the GF's 16 Escape got a Ford safety recall notice in the mail for might not go into or stay in park, parts available Q4 2022. This morning she calls me from the driveway at 5:30 saying car won't come out of park but like the shifter moves but it's loose. Yeah you know what happened. So I went out and confirmed, she took a $50 Uber to work (she's too short to comfortably drive my old Mazda) and will take the train home. I took her car to work, checked with Ford, yeah parts don't exist right now for that. I could change the whole cable if I wanted, there were like 4 left in the area at random dealers.  That's a very not fun job.

So I fixed it my damn self! Gotta make sure they give this back after the recall. 100% Ford could make a retainer bracket that would fix the issue for life or they can just use better materials. Ever seen a Honda or Toyota with a shift cable bushing wear out and cable pop off? I haven't.

20220912_144256.jpg

20220912_144313.jpg

cable ties bro

Maybe we've moved on past the manual/automatic discussion but I'd just like to say that honestly, I had more fun in a ZF 8-speed than the manual Tremec I've driven. Both were Hemis.

The ZF had a different shift feel and sound for every gear and throttle position, like it had personality. It could be either quiet or brash depending on how you drove it. My favorite was giving it a little bit of extra throttle and manually shifting around 3k RPM, because it was raspy and snappy and you could feel the power without using it.

The manual is great but I really don't get any feedback from the car. If I'd describe something as lifeless it would be this, but maybe it's the way I drive it, or maybe it's how I'd define what "connected" means. The only time I've had fun was at full throttle or highway speeds, otherwise I'm just focused on getting up to speed.

Thoughts on the new Mustang?

Its, uhh, interesting... I guess. 15-18 still my favorite look.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

There's a new Mustang again? Is it a new Mustang or just a redress of the current Mustang?

12 hours ago, vetali said:

it's still gas and comes with a V8, all that matters right? Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 hours ago, vetali said:

The camastang

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Sheet metal is new, but it is really just a tweak.  Even less change than C6>C7 Corvette, imho.  If you're a mustang fan, I'm sure you'd be pleased.  Personally, I'm tired of seeing the same overall designs for Camaro, Mustang and Challenger for over 10 years.  Please stop emulating Toyota by selling the same sheet metal for 3 decades.

----

What I'm really excited for is the Corvette E-Ray--specifically the convertible.  600 AWHP and hardtop convertible is the stuff my dreams are made of.

Eh - Gimmie one of these and I'll be happy.

I didn't say I'd be driving it though, it's not street legal - A real collector's piece BUT if you did take it out for a spin...... 😁
1300-HP Shelby Mustang GT500 Code Red Revealed as Limited Edition

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

56 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Eh - Gimmie one of these and I'll be happy.

I didn't say I'd be driving it though, it's not street legal - A real collector's piece BUT if you did take it out for a spin...... 😁
1300-HP Shelby Mustang GT500 Code Red Revealed as Limited Edition

$209,000?  And you have to provide a donor car?  And it's still "just a mustang"?

ewwwww

Need me a new vehicle jack....

I have a good 'ol Canadian Tire trolley jack.  It's been fine for cars more a less but have a truck now too.  While this thing will lift it, it's neither convenient or easy.  Put a good bend in the bar used to pump the jack.

Would like a low profile variety that is useful on cars and trucks with a long pump handle.  Lots to choose from, no idea which are good a and which to avoid.

What have you been happy with?  Looking for something no more than $400 Cdn.

3 hours ago, IPD said:

$209,000?  And you have to provide a donor car?  And it's still "just a mustang"?

ewwwww

I did say "Gimmie" and I'd be happy.
If I gotta pay that much I believe I could build one with similar power numbers for less - Much less in fact.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.