Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ah, the magic of port injection 

And regularly using Gumout with PEA probably didn't hurt either...and it doesn't have traditional EGR...and it's a Toyota that's not using oil.

Other than smoothing the rough casting there's not much to do to easily enhance the intake side of the head as it came from the factory, nice work Yamaha!

23 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Cars are worth more than me 😅

132B5638-2301-4CD1-8D50-048B8E94600C.jpeg

And @vetaliheres the weird engine bay with the ecu on display on the right:

11FFBC5D-210A-4C59-B4E2-BEEDB39F4508.thumb.jpeg.37d8a12fac5870aefbb77e5cba34e630.jpeg

Not unlike the IS300 back in the day

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

So I'm going to need to rebuild the air intake and I'm going to need a nipple on the air intake for IAC air after the MAF and another nipple for evap emissions purge. Both can be 3/8ths but they should be separate nipples. Other than paying someone to weld some nipples to some pipe (thin aluminum to thick nipple = no fun for them) anyone have a better idea than using a couple of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115529054676

Stainless, can use a fat O-ring and tighten to push the tube a little flat in that spot, has a barbed nipple in the diameter needed, low profile so it doesn't bung up airflow in the piping. I can't think of something better but this is slightly outside my realm of knowledge, I'm just guessing at this point.

2 hours ago, Bitter said:

So I'm going to need to rebuild the air intake and I'm going to need a nipple on the air intake for IAC air after the MAF and another nipple for evap emissions purge. Both can be 3/8ths but they should be separate nipples. Other than paying someone to weld some nipples to some pipe (thin aluminum to thick nipple = no fun for them) anyone have a better idea than using a couple of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115529054676

Stainless, can use a fat O-ring and tighten to push the tube a little flat in that spot, has a barbed nipple in the diameter needed, low profile so it doesn't bung up airflow in the piping. I can't think of something better but this is slightly outside my realm of knowledge, I'm just guessing at this point.

I suppose as long as the surface Is flat enough that it seals, it should be fine? 

only other thing I can think of is like 3D printing something a bit more boxy that you can attach your hoses to but is flat enough to provide good mounting surfaces for activities; but that may be a bad idea too idk lo

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I suppose as long as the surface Is flat enough that it seals, it should be fine? 

only other thing I can think of is like 3D printing something a bit more boxy that you can attach your hoses to but is flat enough to provide good mounting surfaces for activities; but that may be a bad idea too idk lo

Also I don't have a 3D printer...shocking I know!

8 hours ago, IPD said:

To each their own I guess.  I've always hated the Pontiac goat.  Just a lousy GM attempt at faking panache by slapping the "GTO" label on something that was in no way, shape or form actually a GTO.

Worse, when Mitsubishi actually did make a GTO, they had to relabel it as "3000GT" because of this fuckery.  GM will not be forgiven for this iniquity....among many others.

Dude it's one of the great American muscle cars of all time, I think you should hold it in higher regard. But, to each their own. 

7 hours ago, Bitter said:

Other than smoothing the rough casting there's not much to do to easily enhance the intake side of the head as it came from the factory, nice work Yamaha!

I have some Yamaha heads as well 🙂

image.thumb.png.9582405c1ed1f7173bc0554ddf7bca16.png

image.thumb.png.e58678f7f3f87dd071f7ae090334aa40.png

image.thumb.png.8bb452c3449d824ce226dfbae342a0a9.png

image.png.fbf201a1b166e89a5bde36ae4a2df1a9.png

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

4 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

Dude it's one of the great American muscle cars of all time, I think you should hold it in higher regard. But, to each their own. 

Imho, it's a sacrilege along the lines of the Mach-E being called a Mustang, a Blazer badge being slapped on a grocery getter, and the Eclipse badge being slapped on a lackluster crossover.  Only its worse, because GM never had the reputation of GTO on its own.  A clearly deceptive lie to try and convince the public that a car capable of barely more than drag pulls (it handled worse than a Corvair)....was somehow a fully-fledged, well-rounded sports car.

4 minutes ago, IPD said:

Imho, it's a sacrilege along the lines of the Mach-E being called a Mustang, a Blazer badge being slapped on a grocery getter, and the Eclipse badge being slapped on a lackluster crossover.  Only its worse, because GM never had the reputation of GTO on its own.  A clearly deceptive lie to try and convince the public that a car capable of barely more than drag pulls (it handled worse than a Corvair)....was somehow a fully-fledged, well-rounded sports car.

There was no well rounded muscle car in the late 60s and early 70s. They were all straight line drag cars pretty much. Most of the car people I know differ in assessment from what you are saying. 

Gran Turismo Omologato

This ritual is summarized by the three most famous letters ever worn by an automobile: "GTO" stands for "Gran Turismo Omologato," which, loosely translated from the Italian, means homologated (recognized for competition) grand-touring car.

41 minutes ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

There was no well rounded muscle car in the late 60s and early 70s. They were all straight line drag cars pretty much. Most of the car people I know differ in assessment from what you are saying. 

Gran Turismo Omologato

This ritual is summarized by the three most famous letters ever worn by an automobile: "GTO" stands for "Gran Turismo Omologato," which, loosely translated from the Italian, means homologated (recognized for competition) grand-touring car.

There was no "well rounded muscle car"--EVER.  It's antithetical to the definition of what a muscle car is.

Grand Touring would require the ability to be used on road courses and tracks competitively, with the caveat that the consumer variants would be comfortable for long drives.

So unless you think it is acceptable to put a Ferrari badge on a Yugo, you should be agreeing with me.  Noble made a GTO.  Mitsubishi made a GTO.  Ferrari made a GTO.  Pontiac....made "car", then glorified it by calling it a GTO.

But hey, take comfort; there will never be another Pontiac GTO or Mitsubishi GTO ever.  So you win.

8 minutes ago, IPD said:

There was no "well rounded muscle car"--EVER.  It's antithetical to the definition of what a muscle car is.

Thats exactly what I said. 

Quote:

"They were all straight line drag cars pretty much."

And, as I said, most car people don't buy into what you are selling in regards to the "piss poor" GTO naming convention and whatever else you are dissatisfied with. 

Most car enthusiasts don't fault GM for anything to do with the GTO, they welcome it with open arms because they realize it is a significant car in automotive history. Apparently, you missed that boat. 

FYI no problem with name at all:

FIA Homologation[edit]

The name, GTO, was DeLorean's idea, inspired by the iconic Ferrari 250 GTO. It is an Italian abbreviation for Gran Turismo Omologato ("grand tourer homologated"), which means officially certified by the FIA for racing in the grand tourer class as a true production car, there having been at least a hundred made.[1]

Unusually for such a Detroit marketing ploy, a conscientious Pontiac employee actually went through the proper steps to have the car homologated by the FIA in 1964, so that it was possible for the occasional GTO to compete in European sports car racing

And then as many Pontiac GTO's were raced on European road courses as there were Isettas.  And no, the GTO isn't significant in automotive history.  As with the MK4 Supra, it's a much ballyhoo'd, overhyped, and overpriced.  Remember the 442, AMX and Chevelle if that suits your fancy--but the Pontiac offering was nothing more than a glorified tempest.

And the "car enthusiasts" you speak of are clearly wrong, as they HATED the 2000's GTO--even though it was more GTO than the 1960's one (which wasn't).

p.s.

Not the only thing Delorean did that was fail-hard.

32 minutes ago, IPD said:

p.s.

I heard his nose worked pretty good.

7 hours ago, IPD said:

And then as many Pontiac GTO's were raced on European road courses as there were Isettas.  And no, the GTO isn't significant in automotive history.  As with the MK4 Supra, it's a much ballyhoo'd, overhyped, and overpriced.  Remember the 442, AMX and Chevelle if that suits your fancy--but the Pontiac offering was nothing more than a glorified tempest.

And the "car enthusiasts" you speak of are clearly wrong, as they HATED the 2000's GTO--even though it was more GTO than the 1960's one (which wasn't).

p.s.

I don't know why I am wasting my time on you but whatever, I had to say something. Could it be because you are so blatantly wrong about the GTO? Seriously you were wrong about the naming convention and now you are wrong about the car's significance to the muscle car movement.

image.png.bab85655d3f03102ec979d06e2cb1ccd.png

image.thumb.png.01b717dc09577a57cfa20ddffb79af36.png

image.thumb.png.e27f23115fe7381ac0001199edb5ab45.png

image.thumb.png.ca5cb34edffcbc62f9e826ec2e384647.png

8 hours ago, IPD said:

We are talking about muscle cars from the 60s and 70s. The new generation is irrelevant to this discussion. 

Muscle cars are not in the same car class as Grand Touring cars, some dumb Americans thought it sounded very European and refined to slap that name on a muscle car and people just ate it up and it's stupid.

Anyone know a good place to ask some kind of basic questions about piping setup for a cold air intake? Just trying to figure out at which point is the best place to transition between pipe sizes and if Toyota/Subaru Denso MAF's are OK with honeycomb air straighteners or do I need to keep the stock straightening vanes.

I'm shellshocked these guys found something so insignificant to be negative about... lol let me try again... Muscle car/grand touring go hand and hand especially if you get the higher end trim with your muscle car. Sorry, it checks all the boxes that would make it a grand tourer as well, so the name is fine. I'm very baffled by this. These people are actually hung up on the car because of the name alone.... can you believe that? Hint: when you create something like an automobile you then have the ability to name it. Nobody on earth cares that you hate it and whine about it. 

image.thumb.png.33063c85b7f114fbde7d8709b693cd36.png

image.thumb.png.91f15f373bb0c573f61250ab0d8ec6b7.png

image.thumb.png.1df81574119d861dba434e3750a26a6e.png

Link for full form can be found here:

homologation_form_number_1379_group_t.pdf (fia.com)

On 9/19/2022 at 2:40 AM, Fast_N_Curious said:

I have some Yamaha heads as well 🙂

Is this for the Yamaha tuned Ford SVT v6?

11 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

I don't know why I am wasting my time on you but whatever, I had to say something. Could it be because you are so blatantly wrong about the GTO? Seriously you were wrong about the naming convention and now you are wrong about the car's significance to the muscle car movement.

image.png.bab85655d3f03102ec979d06e2cb1ccd.png

That first line is wrong in that image. The Mustang was incredibly cheap ($20,000 today with the v6, I forget when they released the i-4 config). That's what popularised muscle cars, the allure of a cheap, cool car that anyone could have. Sure they existed before the Mustang, but they weren't easily accessible, similar to how cars existed before the Model T, but they weren't popularized until the Model T. The Pontiac was GM sh!tting themselves seeing the success of the Mustang. The success being 318,000 Mustangs sold in one year (100,000 in under 3 months). The dealerships were fighting over pre-orders lol. Sounds a lot like today.

7 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

I'm shellshocked these guys found something so insignificant to be negative about...

Welcome to the thread! Arguing and debating pointless bullshit just to disagree seems to be the threads theme in modern times.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

27 minutes ago, vetali said:

Welcome to the thread! Arguing and debating pointless bullshit just to disagree seems to be the threads theme in modern times.

Well politics will get you banned, so......

7 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

I'm shellshocked these guys found something so insignificant to be negative about... lol let me try again... Muscle car/grand touring go hand and hand especially if you get the higher end trim with your muscle car. Sorry, it checks all the boxes that would make it a grand tourer as well, so the name is fine. I'm very baffled by this. These people are actually hung up on the car because of the name alone.... can you believe that? Hint: when you create something like an automobile you then have the ability to name it. Nobody on earth cares that you hate it and whine about it.

It would never have been a big deal at all--except that Pontiac's bastard is the reason why Mitsubishi was unable to call the GTO a GTO in the USA.  It's literally that everywhere else in the world.  And the Mitsubishi is actually a true GTO--and was raced as such.

P.S.

Muscle-Car and Grand-Touring do not go hand in hand.  The Viper is a muscle car, and no sane person would ever take it on road trips (muscle-car and pony-car are at best nebulous terms--and vary based on whim of whoever is talking).  Moreover, "the new generation" is most definitely relevant to the discussion; it proves that the fanbois have been--and still are--wrong.  But sure, keep acting like you can't help yourself and have to keep posting random wiki pages to support your argument.

And don't even get me started on the literal definition of GTO.  If literal nomenclature is all that matters, I can bring up other countless examples where the exceptions keep disproving the rule.  Now please, post up vids if you racing your Pontiac goat at the 'ring.

On 9/19/2022 at 1:18 PM, IPD said:

Noble made a GTO.

You definitely wouldnt want to take a Noble on a long road trip

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

You definitely wouldnt want to take a Noble on a long road trip

define "long"

lol