Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

29 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I always thought the higher octane fuel was a waste of money, until yesterday/today. I put 93 in my poor HR-V, and the difference brings a tear to my eye. In a car starving for low end torque, ANY power increasement is noticeable, and I'm pretty sure my car hadn't had anything but 87 in it since it was produced. I love this. I don't have to floor the thing to get it to go 40 (not an exaggeration). The websites that talk about the 0-60 claim 7 seconds... The fastest I got was 10. I'll have to retest with the higher octane, but I expect 9.5-9 secs. Nothin' crazy, but a noticeable improvement. 

Also...

https://www.turbokits.com/tsi-extreme-turbo-kit-hc2504e.html

only $4k... But it includes everything except fuel injectors, new fuel rail and fuel pump.

Confirmation bias

50 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

No.

Yes.

Then post how many pieces of the CVT belt had to be surgically removed from your lower extremities.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

11 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yes.

Then post how many pieces of the CVT belt had to be surgically removed from your lower extremities.

Shrapnel can't be that big

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I always thought the higher octane fuel was a waste of money, until yesterday/today. I put 93 in my poor HR-V, and the difference brings a tear to my eye. In a car starving for low end torque, ANY power increasement is noticeable, and I'm pretty sure my car hadn't had anything but 87 in it since it was produced. I love this. I don't have to floor the thing to get it to go 40 (not an exaggeration). The websites that talk about the 0-60 claim 7 seconds... The fastest I got was 10. I'll have to retest with the higher octane, but I expect 9.5-9 secs. Nothin' crazy, but a noticeable improvement. 

Also...

https://www.turbokits.com/tsi-extreme-turbo-kit-hc2504e.html

only $4k... But it includes everything except fuel injectors, new fuel rail and fuel pump.

go for it.

i personally would sell the current car and add the 4k to get something better ... but what ever makes you happy.

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

On 9/19/2022 at 7:26 AM, IPD said:

Imho, it's a sacrilege along the lines of the Mach-E being called a Mustang, 

Agreed.

Not my son : r/ComedyCemetery

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

On 9/20/2022 at 8:45 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

Is this for the Yamaha tuned Ford SVT v6?

As I said it's for the SHO Taurus. But the SVT Contour engine is based on a similar design, with a distinctive dual runner intake manifold just like the SHO. I'd love to pick one of those up someday... SVT Contour cylinder head below...

image.png.08a8637a142d8083549e0eda9fc2992f.png

SVT Engine:

Piston Slap: Duratec Headache Part II: SVT RestoMod Edition | The Truth  About Cars

SHO Engine:

Ford SHO V6: The Forgotten Six-Cylinder Marvel Developed and Built by  Yamaha - autoevolution

1999 Ford Contour SVT for Sale - Cars & Bids

On 9/19/2022 at 7:04 PM, IPD said:

And then as many Pontiac GTO's were raced on European road courses as there were Isettas.  And no, the GTO isn't significant in automotive history.  As with the MK4 Supra, it's a much ballyhoo'd, overhyped, and overpriced.  Remember the 442, AMX and Chevelle if that suits your fancy--but the Pontiac offering was nothing more than a glorified tempest.

And the "car enthusiasts" you speak of are clearly wrong, as they HATED the 2000's GTO--even though it was more GTO than the 1960's one (which wasn't).

p.s.

Not the only thing Delorean did that was fail-hard.

No no no. Forget about the 4-4-2. Completely
The prices need to drop so i can afford one.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

As I said it's for the SHO Taurus. But the SVT Contour engine is based on a similar design, with a distinctive dual runner intake manifold just like the SHO. I'd love to pick one of those up someday... SVT Contour cylinder head below...

SVT Engine:

SHO Engine:

How do you feel about the Yamaha V8 SHO's?

25 minutes ago, Bitter said:

How do you feel about the Yamaha V8 SHO's?

Garbage

EDIT: It's a V8 DOHC interference engine and the cams have a nasty habit of rotating out of time which typically results in total catastrophic engine failure, destroying the rotating assembly and the heads at the same time. 

The fix is welding the cams so they cannot rotate ever again (in the cam sprocket). Otherwise, its an ok motor but not a pure-bread Yamaha like the V6, and not much more powerful to be worth it. 

24 minutes ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

Garbage

EDIT: It's a V8 DOHC interference engine and the cams have a nasty habit of rotating out of time which typically results in total catastrophic engine failure, destroying the rotating assembly and the heads at the same time. 

The fix is welding the cams so they cannot rotate ever again (in the cam sprocket). Otherwise, its an ok motor but not a pure-bread Yamaha like the V6, and not much more powerful to be worth it. 

There's two kind of SHO owners. Lol!

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

There's two kind of SHO owners. Lol!

What you mean people that stay away from 3rd Gen SHOs and people that don't? lol count me out. 

1 hour ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

What you mean people that stay away from 3rd Gen SHOs and people that don't? lol count me out. 

Yep. Had one with a shifted cam at the shop once. Didn't even take anything apart, could hear it cranking without compression on one whole bank. A shame, they're a screamer of an engine.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Yep. Had one with a shifted cam at the shop once. Didn't even take anything apart, could hear it cranking without compression on one whole bank. A shame, they're a screamer of an engine.

Yeah, it's definitely still a high-performance engine, pretty good pull through the entire RPM range. I probably would have purchased one to match my SHO at the time, but they only used slushboxes in the gen 3...

Transverse V8 Power: 1996 Ford Taurus SHO | by Sam Maven | Motorious |  Medium

2 hours ago, Fast_N_Curious said:

Yeah, it's definitely still a high-performance engine, pretty good pull through the entire RPM range. I probably would have purchased one to match my SHO at the time, but they only used slushboxes in the gen 3...

My friends first Volvo was the 4.4L S80 which is a different engine but not all that different of an engine, they're cousins for sure.

Finally getting all the little parts here and there to get this manifold on, got things mostly cleaned up. New TB gasket, extra hose to run coolant to the IAC so it's like stock, and some pipes and couplers to build a new air intake system which I'll probably end up re-building a few times. Not sure which will fit better, 2 counter rotated 90 deg pipes in a zig zag kind of or if I can get away with running a 45 deg coupler to a pipe right down to the air filter opening in the fender well. The less bends the better but it's not a long run to work with AND mount the MAF housing as well. I'll probably buy all the parts to do it both ways and try to sell off what I don't need.

Man I miss that we don’t really get one off Yamaha/cosworth/etc engines that are total screamers anymore 

Not that it makes sense to put them into any modern cars really. Except maybe the brz or Miata or something lol 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

23 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Confirmation bias

Kinda, I really only need 89. My engine has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. Although I know for a fact that it is faster, mostly because when "vtec kicks in" the car is a LOT louder than it was previously, I used to barely be able to tell the difference in acceleration. Now the entire car pulses with fire and brimstone as I wring the poor thing out.

22 hours ago, vetali said:

Yes.

Eh, Ain't no way that thing can handle enough stress to cause catastrophic damage when it breaks. That, and there is a turbo 1.5 version with roughly the same power.

1 hour ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Kinda, I really only need 89. My engine has a 10.5:1 compression ratio. Although I know for a fact that it is faster, mostly because when "vtec kicks in" the car is a LOT louder than it was previously, I used to barely be able to tell the difference in acceleration. Now the entire car pulses with fire and brimstone as I wring the poor thing out.

Yeah, vtec kicking in on one valve baby.

58 minutes ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

Eh, Ain't no way that thing can handle enough stress to cause catastrophic damage when it breaks. That, and there is a turbo 1.5 version with roughly the same power.

It can't handle the weight of that thing stock. Its why there is a recall to inspect the pan for metal with a magnet. Then you do a software update that increases pressures. Its also not the same transmission in the 1.5.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

13 hours ago, Bitter said:

My friends first Volvo was the 4.4L S80 which is a different engine but not all that different of an engine, they're cousins for sure.

well Volvo was owned by ford at that point ... doesnt surprise me if the engines are related in one way or another

Still kinda want a Volvo with that engine 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

20 minutes ago, vetali said:

Yeah, vtec kicking in on one valve baby.

It can't handle the weight of that thing stock. Its why there is a recall to inspect the pan for metal with a magnet. Then you do a software update that increases pressures. Its also not the same transmission in the 1.5.

Vtec on one valve? WDYM? Are you talking about one of the 2 valves per cylinder? Only one valve on one cylinder? 

Also, I see no recalls from Honda, if it isn't capable of handling the HRV stock, how come Honda hasn't done anything?