Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, GreatCrouton said:

Need me a new vehicle jack....

I have a good 'ol Canadian Tire trolley jack.  It's been fine for cars more a less but have a truck now too.  While this thing will lift it, it's neither convenient or easy.  Put a good bend in the bar used to pump the jack.

Would like a low profile variety that is useful on cars and trucks with a long pump handle.  Lots to choose from, no idea which are good a and which to avoid.

What have you been happy with?  Looking for something no more than $400 Cdn.

ACDelco used to make a great floor jack. I don't see that specific model anywhere though. Not sure about Canadian options, but here we have the Harbor Freight Snap on knock off jack. Its pretty good.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

3 hours ago, vetali said:

ACDelco used to make a great floor jack. I don't see that specific model anywhere though. Not sure about Canadian options, but here we have the Harbor Freight Snap on knock off jack. Its pretty good.

HF jacks and toolboxes are like the best things they make 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Man these cars are massive.. I think it’s longer than my Touareg lol 

1DDC4CB8-1630-45CA-89BF-73E48246885D.jpeg

8B755687-3C02-4981-992F-0DC05A6C0332.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

HF jacks and toolboxes are like the best things they make 

Just don't get their jack stands.

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Man these cars are massive.. I think it’s longer than my Touareg lol 

Hope he got the wheel coverage. Those things gotta bend easy lol

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

The wheels are already bent, they just don't know it yet. Reminds me of our dentist customer and his last C class AMG, we saw it twice a year for oil change and to swap from summer to winter wheels/tires. Never was there ever a time when one of the OE summer wheels wasn't bent. Usually all were bent to some degree, we'd get it straightened or a recon wheel or once a new wheel because outer lip was bent and 6 months later it's bent again lol. His newer AMG tho, must be better metal or something cause nothing has bent yet.

Just got this today. 286k miles 1 owner and they went to the dealer every 5k miles and said yes to anything that needed to be done.  I'm going to start overlanding with it but want to get out a few times before I start modding it.307354408_5947487621928729_8464490355165563154_n.thumb.jpg.ea9afded3a9cf500ed40eaae08557b35.jpg

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

5 hours ago, Psittac said:

Just got this today. 286k miles 1 owner and they went to the dealer every 5k miles and said yes to anything that needed to be done.  I'm going to start overlanding with it but want to get out a few times before I start modding it

That is very shiny

11 hours ago, vetali said:

Just don't get their jack stands.

Hope he got the wheel coverage. Those things gotta bend easy lol

11 hours ago, Bitter said:

The wheels are already bent, they just don't know it yet. Reminds me of our dentist customer and his last C class AMG, we saw it twice a year for oil change and to swap from summer to winter wheels/tires. Never was there ever a time when one of the OE summer wheels wasn't bent. Usually all were bent to some degree, we'd get it straightened or a recon wheel or once a new wheel because outer lip was bent and 6 months later it's bent again lol. His newer AMG tho, must be better metal or something cause nothing has bent yet.

He got this thing he was telling me about where they will cover damaged or curbed wheels and tires up to $5000 in value per year 

and the A8 does have a spare (interesting it’s a black spare not the “shameful” red/orange one his A6 had lol) 

to me that car doesn’t seem as bad as the 22” wheels on my moms Q7 lol (she’s been fine…. So far) 

I forgot to take a pic of the engine bay on the A8;  it’s kinda weird with the ECM on display like they are proud of it or something lol. But I miss all the little details and accents audi used to do in the engine bay, now it’s boring like “here’s your engine” 

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Psittac said:

Just got this today. 286k miles 1 owner and they went to the dealer every 5k miles and said yes to anything that needed to be done.  I'm going to start overlanding with it but want to get out a few times before I start modding it.-snip-

I wanted one of these but was so obsessed over it being lower mileage that I bought a touareg instead, but I think this would of been a better idea now lol 

I mean for $5k it’s hard to go wrong if it lasts 2 years it’s worth it *shrug* 

I do like my touareg but I hate having the thought of the HPFP exploding in the back of my head all the time 

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

He got this thing he was telling me about where they will cover damaged or curbed wheels and tires up to $5000 in value per year 

and the A8 does have a spare (interesting it’s a black spare not the “shameful” red/orange one his A6 had lol) 

to me that car doesn’t seem as bad as the 22” wheels on my moms Q7 lol (she’s been fine…. So far) 

I forgot to take a pic of the engine bay on the A8;  it’s kinda weird with the ECM on display like they are proud of it or something lol. But I miss all the little details and accents audi used to do in the engine bay, now it’s boring like “here’s your engine” 

5000 dollars? Pfft thats like one wheel. I get scared about my 20s, but I've only seen one bent before in the shop and it hit something hard enough to blow the tire out with it.

I thought you still had the Infiniti, I guess you all VW nerds now.

Mercedes likes to put the ECU right in the middle of the intake, Cadillac was doing it for a few years too. Honda was putting the ECU in middle of the V in the front of the engine for a few years, then they moved it back to the fender area in 2019. Much harder to do a timing belt on the newer v6s because the harness is wrapped around the timing belt covers. Takes a whole 2 hours instead of 1.5.

7 minutes ago, vetali said:

5000 dollars? Pfft thats like one wheel. I get scared about my 20s, but I've only seen one bent before in the shop and it hit something hard enough to blow the tire out with it.

I thought you still had the Infiniti, I guess you all VW nerds now.

Mercedes likes to put the ECU right in the middle of the intake, Cadillac was doing it for a few years too. Honda was putting the ECU in middle of the V in the front of the engine for a few years, then they moved it back to the fender area in 2019. Much harder to do a timing belt on the newer v6s because the harness is wrapped around the timing belt covers. Takes a whole 2 hours instead of 1.5.

Yeah he’s had an A6 for many years, mom hated the Infiniti so she ended up getting a new Q7 about a year ago. Then my dad got jealous I guess and got an almost new A8 lol 

tbh I don’t think the A8 is worth it. It’s nice but not as expensive as it is nice. I liked last gen Audis more, feel like they had a bit more attention to detail. 

i also don’t like new VW’s, I feel like they are getting cheap with them. 

but the wheels are about $1k it seems; not $5k lol https://parts.audirockville.com/p/audi__A8/Wheel--alloy/94394328/4N0601025AF.html

Spoiler

The irony of a back-and-forth discussion about 2 vehicles, where one is worth what a wheel on the other costs.

29 minutes ago, IPD said:

The irony of a back-and-forth discussion about 2 vehicles, where one is worth what a wheel on the other costs.

right? Lol. 

One could fulfill a need and one is most definitely a want. I was just discussing with my dad about an RS7. He could buy an RS7. It's more money than an A8 now. But he could of bought another A6 (or kept his) and then bought an RS7 after. Or drove the volvo xc60 in his garage that's normally for my sisters' to use for a year and then bought an RS7. 

If you make even only OK money; you can get anything you want; it's just a question of how much you're willing to sacrifice to get it. You could work your way up from beaters to mediocre bmw's OR you can drive beaters until you can afford a lambo lol. It's just a question of how bad you want something.

In his case he doesn't want an RS7 bad enough to go buy one. He doesn't care how fast his car is. The only reason he even considers wanting one is because they "look cool" So that's fine lol. Likewise; he could continue driving cheaper cars and then go get a Rolls Royce. But he doesn't want a Rolls Royce bad enough to do that.

But @Psittac prob could of went take out a loan to get something worth 3-4x more that he wants. But he could also just drive that 4runner into the ground and then get something even better than what he wants now, later on. 

Spoiler

I've been banking up money for a while now to replace the Mazda, but as I've said before I can't decide if I should get something used and decent or get something nice. It's just a car I drive everyday to and from work mostly but I do enjoy driving and a decent sound system...but I also like having money not driving around money lol. I'm leaning toward a Civic of the more recent generations or a Mazda 3 of the more recent generations, but I need to go drive either of them. I don't really like CVT's but they're great on the highway and get good gas mileage, I'd go EV but as it stands I do need to drive long distances sometimes and right now that's more difficult with an EV. If there was a plug-in hybrid that was in the used market that wasn't a Prius or Prius like vehicle I'd consider that but they're all super crap to drive like so bland and boring and soul sucking to me.

I will say, the CVT isn't great if you are pissed lol. Hammering the throttle and waiting for the delightful feeling of a gear change, only to hear your car sound like it's bouncing off of the rev limiter. It also means throttle response is nil. Takes ages for the car to let the revs get up in the higher range where it needs to be. Even in "sport". Also irritating when you have to pull out across 4 lanes into 60 MPH traffic (i.e 80 MPH), and there is an idiot in a GMC 2500HD pulling a trailer full of dead washing machines going 95 MPH. BTW, this is my parents' idea of the safe route.

Cars are worth more than me 😅

132B5638-2301-4CD1-8D50-048B8E94600C.jpeg

And @vetaliheres the weird engine bay with the ecu on display on the right:

11FFBC5D-210A-4C59-B4E2-BEEDB39F4508.thumb.jpeg.37d8a12fac5870aefbb77e5cba34e630.jpeg

Spoiler

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Finally making some progress....

-snip-

wen standalone ECU? 

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

wen standalone ECU? 

Ugh who knows, it's complicated unless I ditch the automatic and that's a whole big thing. Finding a good C60 isn't easy, just best to assume anything you get needs a rebuild, plus all the ancillary parts...it ends up being a very expensive endeavor. Keeping the auto is complicated for a standalone because you need a trans controller as well. Also, I need to pass emissions every 2 years so whatever I do had better be plug n play and the car better be able to run without setting codes long enough to get through emissions testing. Hell, might turn out that the intake is a really bad match for the stock ECM with an auto trans and it's slower than it was before, which honestly is a big reason this has taken me so long to start working on. I'm genuinely worried this will be the case, as far as I know no one else has put this intake on an auto 2ZZ. What I see of 6spd dyno plots both tuned and untuned was that torque all over went up which in turn raised horsepower but torque down lower in the rev range wasn't reduced so I'm really really hopeful that this thing isn't a bog monster off the line worse than it already is because she takes off slooooow, there's not much below 2000 RPM but thankfully above that things are better. If it's just as slow from idle as stock I'll be OK with that as long as it's not slower than stock. It can't be worse, can it? Don't answer that. If you can't tell I get very verbose when anxious.

9 hours ago, DANK_AS_gay said:

I will say, the CVT isn't great if you are pissed lol. Hammering the throttle and waiting for the delightful feeling of a gear change, only to hear your car sound like it's bouncing off of the rev limiter. It also means throttle response is nil. Takes ages for the car to let the revs get up in the higher range where it needs to be. Even in "sport". Also irritating when you have to pull out across 4 lanes into 60 MPH traffic (i.e 80 MPH), and there is an idiot in a GMC 2500HD pulling a trailer full of dead washing machines going 95 MPH. BTW, this is my parents' idea of the safe route.

I agree - CVT doesn't let you have the response a more standard trans would have and it's not a great ideal hammer on one often - They don't like it much.

Doesn't help a CVT is known to be problematic and not too sturdy anyway, I've already replaced one because the wife had ran off the road in a sudden rainstorm (Hydroplaning) and bumped a curb with one of the front wheels, which in turn did something to the gear hub where the axle shafts come in.

I'm guessing the bearing was damaged because it was making a terrible roaring sound along with an audible clicking when moving. The CVT itself still operated as you'd expect but the noise didn't take any time at all to start getting worse, I took it to a couple of repair shops and during this short time period is when things noteably deteriorated with it's condition because I had to drive it to each shop.

Finally had a person I know to look for and they found a used trans in a wreck and we got it, they swapped the CVT's and it's been OK eversince.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

And @vetaliheres the weird engine bay with the ecu on display on the right:

Thats not as bad as I thought it would be. Though the size of it is insane. Newer ECUs are pretty small. I replaced one that was bricked during an update on a CR-V and I was like, "wait is that it?" to parts. It was about the size of 2 blu-ray cases put together. TCM is also incredibly small on them.

My jaw about hit the floor when I saw it for the first time. Must be posted here for eye candy.

Pontiac GTO "Two-Face" Flexes Widebody Muscle - autoevolution

Two-Face” Orange/Black Pontiac GTO Flexes Widebody Muscle In a “Natural”  Way - autoevolution

Two-Face” Orange/Black Pontiac GTO Flexes Widebody Muscle In a “Natural”  Way - autoevolution

Hardware and Overclocking Enthusiast

To each their own I guess.  I've always hated the Pontiac goat.  Just a lousy GM attempt at faking panache by slapping the "GTO" label on something that was in no way, shape or form actually a GTO.

Worse, when Mitsubishi actually did make a GTO, they had to relabel it as "3000GT" because of this fuckery.  GM will not be forgiven for this iniquity....among many others.

It looks like a rich boomer saw a rocket bunny style car on facebook and wrote a blank check to a fabricator who has way too many ed hardy t-shirts.

On the plus side this is looking pretty good at 140K miles. Stock intake mani only has about 1oz of clean oil puddled in it and is equally clean inside, judging by this and how it runs I think it's fairly healthy still. Nothing beside the throttle body has been cleaned and that was around 85-90K miles, never had the intake off and I didn't clean anything before this picture.

messages_0(3).jpeg

49 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It looks like a rich boomer saw a rocket bunny style car on facebook and wrote a blank check to a fabricator who has way too many ed hardy t-shirts.

On the plus side this is looking pretty good at 140K miles. Stock intake mani only has about 1oz of clean oil puddled in it and is equally clean inside, judging by this and how it runs I think it's fairly healthy still. Nothing beside the throttle body has been cleaned and that was around 85-90K miles, never had the intake off and I didn't clean anything before this picture.

-snip-

Ah, the magic of port injection 

Spoiler