Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

@IPD

Lots

Of

Trouble

Usually

Serious

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

On 9/4/2022 at 10:24 PM, IPD said:

How

Odd,

No

Damn

Acceleration

You're not wrong... 'till vtec decides to grace you with a massive boost of +15 HP, and you rocket to a ludicrous 129 MPH, in under 5 mins!!!

anyone here live somewhere with a "fuel price cycle"?

every wednesday at 6am the price of fuel goes up some ridiculous amount before falling throughout the week til Tuesday, when it goes and spikes a good 20-30cpl.

we APPARENTLY have a government department overseeing and regulating this...

If this isnt a price fixing cartel i dont know what is..

Screenshot_1720.png

13 hours ago, theninja35 said:

You should get that checked out.

Yeah, probably.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Any manual-lover who tried a recent auto and thought:

- Wow, this is way better than any other auto I’ve tried before… hmm, maybe I don’t need a manual to enjoy a car after all… or did I simply get old?! Maybe today is just the wrong phase of Saturn and tomorrow I’ll be back my normal self…

2 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

- Wow, this is way better than any other auto I’ve tried before… hmm, maybe I don’t need a manual to enjoy a car after all… or did I simply get old?! Maybe today is just the wrong phase of Saturn and tomorrow I’ll be back my normal self…

Ever since the ZF 8 speed first came out, AT's have been (capable of being)  worlds better in virtually every measurable metric.  The tipping point for me was reading the reviews of the brand new R171 SLK55 AMG.  With a weight and HP disadvantage, it still managed to beat a manual C6 base Corvette in the 1/4.

Transmissions have improved dramatically since the 1990s.  AT's will now frequently beat MT's in MPG, shift times, quarter-mile times, etc.  There's a reason why MT's have been dying out--and it's because all of the lauded advantages (true in decades past) are now virtually gone.  I myself can't stand rowing gears any longer because I'm left with the feeling that I'm just never going to quite get the performance out of it that I can with doing the same action via paddle shifters. 

31 minutes ago, IPD said:

Ever since the ZF 8 speed first came out, AT's have been (capable of being)  worlds better in virtually every measurable metric.  The tipping point for me was reading the reviews of the brand new R171 SLK55 AMG.  With a weight and HP disadvantage, it still managed to beat a manual C6 base Corvette in the 1/4.

Transmissions have improved dramatically since the 1990s.  AT's will now frequently beat MT's in MPG, shift times, quarter-mile times, etc.  There's a reason why MT's have been dying out--and it's because all of the lauded advantages (true in decades past) are now virtually gone.  I myself can't stand rowing gears any longer because I'm left with the feeling that I'm just never going to quite get the performance out of it that I can with doing the same action via paddle shifters. 

I get what you are saying, however, it was never about the lap time - it was always about the visceral connection of being a little bit closer to the car, feeling the finer control. So, after the recent experience it feels like I lost this feeling and just don't care anymore.

To be fare afaik manual still beats auto in service (recently changed the clutch).

15 hours ago, rikitikitavi said:

as someone who likes manual gearboxes and would like them to live on .... i still prefer a daily to be automatic ... as i just dont really give a crap personally and if i want that mechanical connection as people like to call it, i have myself a motorcycle

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

If you can't feel connected to a car just because it's not a manual then you're not a real car enthusiast.

THERE HOW DOES THAT FEEL? Cause that's how car enthusiasts have been treating people who don't drive stick for decades and it's some gatekeeping elitist bullshit.

At the end of the day it all comes down to preference, thanks to my job I get to drive all kinds of stuff both manual and auto and as such find some better manuals and some better autos. Personally I'd prefer to own a manual M2 Comp over a DCT but I'd rather have a DSG golf R over a manual for example.

The whole manual elitist thing is just bollocks

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

It really depends on the car. If its some shitbox manual that has zero clutch feel and a terrible shifter then I'd want a CVT over that crap.

I've owned autos and manuals. My manuals have all been used cars. All my manuals have required a lot more in repairs than any automatic car I've had. My Mazda needed a clutch. It was apparent during the test drive with chatter and I talked down the price. Then the throw out bearing in that kit started going out. Traded it in on my Civic which was CVT. My S10s 1st gear syncro is shot due to the clutch dragging (I think it has a broken spring on the pressure plate because every once in a while when starting it will grab hard) and the previous owner just not doing anything about it until it ruined the syncro. Plus it has what sounds like an input shaft bearing going bad. So that will have to be torn apart soon.

My current daily has the ZF9. No complaints other than sometimes its slow to shift from reverse to drive. Shifts nice and smooth when just cruising and shifts very quick when giving it da boot. Paddles are pretty pointless but it is a SUV. Problems with the software in earlier Honda and Acuras was fixed in 2020-2021. I don't know if there was internal fixes as well. I've driven some of those older ones in customers cars and they are really rough.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

I couldn't decide so I have both. 

One automatic(CVT) daily driving:

image.thumb.jpeg.fa12295498abb6962b0410122803d947.jpeg

One manual for fun:

image.thumb.jpeg.270498dfd2d31a4329f2e86e0291e514.jpeg

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

I don't care who you are, manual is no fun in stop and go traffic lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1