Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Finished up a full brake job myself on my dads A6. Just basic stuff. 

learned you can actually take the rear rotors off of his car without taking the brake caliper bracket off. I’ve never seen that before. Kinda neat. Needing vcds to retract the parking brake is kinda annoying tho lol.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:02 AM, Jarsky said:

Upgraded the brake rotors on my R33 Skyline, slotted/drilled DBA T3 4000xs rotors with new DBA performance brake pads. 

GReddy finally finished my new Front Mount intercooler and shipped it last week from Japan, so should be here in a few days. Will be installing it while i tear down the front to do the aluminum rad, belts, water pump, etc.... 

On behalf of everyone living in the rust belt, I'd like to give you both a friendly "Fuck you".

13 hours ago, Snadzies said:

On behalf of everyone living in the rust belt, I'd like to give you both a friendly "Fuck you".

Plenty of (cheap) places to live down here if you want to move. Lol. I must say our car availability kinda stinks right now though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Plenty of (cheap) places to live down here if you want to move. Lol. I must say our car availability kinda stinks right now though.

It does everywhere right now. Hard to get new cars, and used cars are a mine field. Repo-pocalypse here in a few months should make things interesting again. Trying to wait out until then to get a truck but if something pops up I am gonna jump on it.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

IMG_20200809_154731.jpg

Cleaned the pass side carpet, removed the rear seat and cleaned it thoroughly with some 409 cleaner and a gentle melamine sponge then a light coat of 303 protectant. Seat is pretty comfortable, I can't slide myself around much sitting in it. Now I'll procrastinate about doing the driver side for a bit.

Outside of the car is done finally, Turtle Wax Hybrid stuff is clearly unsuitable for porous single stage paint like mine. The polish sticks badly and the spray coating never really sets for a clean wipe off, leaves a hard to remove streaky residue. I ended up wiping the TW down and then putting a coat of Mothers CMX over it for a better final wipe and went around with some quick detail spray to get it all clear and clean.

Got the floor sealed this weekend. One more step toward completion. 

Resized-20200805-102217-1.jpg

I think the tractor tire marks add a touch of style haha.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

18 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Got the floor sealed this weekend. One more step toward completion. 

-snip-

I think the tractor tire marks add a touch of style haha.

I want a video or a gif of the ST spinning slowly on the floor elevator. For science.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

32 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I want a video or a gif of the ST spinning slowly on the floor elevator. For science.

Hmmm. That might need to happen. You know... For science. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

7 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Hmmm. That might need to happen. You know... For science. 

Add a motion sensor for when you walk in the room it just shines lights on the car and starts spinning 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 8/6/2020 at 3:20 AM, bcredeur97 said:

The Honda E is actually really nice lol. Apparently lot of people complaining they didn’t bring it here. i suppose they might later

that interior! Interiors have come such a long way. I remember when the S class had a screen across the dashboard and it was like WOAH. Now every car will have it 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, vetali said:

skyactiv-x is 99% ded in NA. I doubt we will ever see it. Them putting the 2.5t in the 3 solidified it. Mazda and Subaru need to get going on hybrid/full electric drivetrains because thats what the kids are gonna want. Toyota has been doing hybrids forever. Honda finally stopped with the IMA meme and is making solid hybrids. I think the Honda-E will sell like crazy in the states. Especially if they offer a bigger crossover version here. Nissan has the leaf, and I don't count Mitsubishi because they pretty much make cars as a side project.

The stagnation in innovation in the last couple of years isn't a bad sign or a sign that the companies cant keep up. In recent years countries have put deadlines on the end of combustion car sales, eg in the UK the sale of new combustion cars is set to be banned in 2035.

This means there is no point in continuing R&D on combustion engines and many manufactures have stopped R&D in that area entirely. This means we are in a slump where they are firing up their electric car R&D and we are just starting to see the out come of that in cars like the VW ID.3 and the Honda-E.

Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi already have hybrid cars and have done for years, most of these cars are produced and sold outside of the US because environment and economy aren't the biggest selling point there. If Tesla were European or Japanese I don't think you'd even have many of them.

The Honda-E is likely not sold in the USA because of its size and range, it just doesn't fit that market, people complaining about it never translates into sales.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

Nothing special, but my new car after my Ford Mondeo blow up after 8 years :(

Lovely car this Vauxhall Insignia 

20200620_141311.jpg

20200620_141325.jpg

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

5 hours ago, mopman94 said:

The stagnation in innovation in the last couple of years isn't a bad sign or a sign that the companies cant keep up. In recent years countries have put deadlines on the end of combustion car sales, eg in the UK the sale of new combustion cars is set to be banned in 2035.

This means there is no point in continuing R&D on combustion engines and many manufactures have stopped R&D in that area entirely. This means we are in a slump where they are firing up their electric car R&D and we are just starting to see the out come of that in cars like the VW ID.3 and the Honda-E.

Mazda, Subaru and Mitsubishi already have hybrid cars and have done for years, most of these cars are produced and sold outside of the US because environment and economy aren't the biggest selling point there. If Tesla were European or Japanese I don't think you'd even have many of them.

The Honda-E is likely not sold in the USA because of its size and range, it just doesn't fit that market, people complaining about it never translates into sales.

R&D may be reduced, but there is still fuel economy and emissions targets to meet before the banning of sales. The focus has moved to transmissions in the last 5-7 years. Everything has a CVT or 8+ gear transmissions now.

Calling Mazda's assist system a hybrid is like calling an auto with paddle shifters a manual transmission. Its far from a hybrid. I was wrong about subaru, they came out with a crosstrek hybrid in 2020 apparently.

Its why I said Honda should bump up the size. We can't hold onto hybrid CR-Vs for more than a week before they get bought. Even then, I see plenty of leafs rolling around here. I don't think Americans are piss shy about electric vehicles. Its just that traditional manufacturers would rather steal a few of tesla buyers with half assed attempts than go toe to toe with tesla. Personally, once battery tech is at the point where charging is roughly the same time as fueling up... then I'll see no reason to continue buying traditional powertrains.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 hour ago, vetali said:

R&D may be reduced, but there is still fuel economy and emissions targets to meet before the banning of sales. The focus has moved to transmissions in the last 5-7 years. Everything has a CVT or 8+ gear transmissions now.

Calling Mazda's assist system a hybrid is like calling an auto with paddle shifters a manual transmission. Its far from a hybrid. I was wrong about subaru, they came out with a crosstrek hybrid in 2020 apparently.

Its why I said Honda should bump up the size. We can't hold onto hybrid CR-Vs for more than a week before they get bought. Even then, I see plenty of leafs rolling around here. I don't think Americans are piss shy about electric vehicles. Its just that traditional manufacturers would rather steal a few of tesla buyers with half assed attempts than go toe to toe with tesla. Personally, once battery tech is at the point where charging is roughly the same time as fueling up... then I'll see no reason to continue buying traditional powertrains.

From a purely business perspective it makes more sense for Honda to test their new fully electric car in a market that's known to be more accepting of it. I fully expect something like an electric Civic to come to the US in the coming years. But it's no coincidence cars like the fiesta and focus have been dropped in the US, or you don't get the BMW 1-series, Mercedes A-Class, Hyundai i30n etc, small hatch acls just aren't profitable enough.

Also I disagree, a mild hybrid is still a hybrid, it's about having electrical assistance in the moments where fuel consumption is it's worse like pulling away when stationary. Just because it's not a plug I'm doesn't make it less of a hybrid. Mazda have also built a fully electric car, the mx30 is available for pre-order. 

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

10 hours ago, mopman94 said:

From a purely business perspective it makes more sense for Honda to test their new fully electric car in a market that's known to be more accepting of it. I fully expect something like an electric Civic to come to the US in the coming years. But it's no coincidence cars like the fiesta and focus have been dropped in the US, or you don't get the BMW 1-series, Mercedes A-Class, Hyundai i30n etc, small hatch acls just aren't profitable enough.

Also I disagree, a mild hybrid is still a hybrid, it's about having electrical assistance in the moments where fuel consumption is it's worse like pulling away when stationary. Just because it's not a plug I'm doesn't make it less of a hybrid. Mazda have also built a fully electric car, the mx30 is available for pre-order. 

11th gen civic is likely being built off the insight platform as a tock generational advancement from the 10th gen. I imagine the insight will be killed off or made into a full EV. The focus/fiesta shot itself in the foot with a garbage transmission. You also have to figure in gas prices and how they have dropped since the recession time. During then people were buying a ton of smaller fuel efficient vehicles. Now people are returning to their pre 2007 ways and buying trucks and SUVs again.

I guess we agree to disagree. Its a low voltage (24-48v) alternator used to diminish drivebelt losses. Its a marginal at best system. Hybrids should be able to run on either fully gasoline or fully electric. Hence the name hybrid.

4 hours ago, vetali said:

11th gen civic is likely being built off the insight platform as a tock generational advancement from the 10th gen. I imagine the insight will be killed off or made into a full EV. The focus/fiesta shot itself in the foot with a garbage transmission. You also have to figure in gas prices and how they have dropped since the recession time. During then people were buying a ton of smaller fuel efficient vehicles. Now people are returning to their pre 2007 ways and buying trucks and SUVs again.

I guess we agree to disagree. Its a low voltage (24-48v) alternator used to diminish drivebelt losses. Its a marginal at best system. Hybrids should be able to run on either fully gasoline or fully electric. Hence the name hybrid.

Yes Fords automatics are trash, their manual transmissions are fantastic though, it's a shame they weren't as readily available in the US because it made the Fiesta an absolutely fantastic car. There's a reason the Fiesta has been the best selling car in the UK since 2009 and before that the Ford Focus was the best selling 1999 - 2009.

If you look at the top 10 selling cars in the US last year 7 were large SUV's or pick ups, in Europe 8 of the top 10 were hatchbacks. This is why sadly when manufacturers produce new, cool small cars they won't put them in the US market immediately, they would likely lose money. 

been messaging jegs and engine manufacture and no reply, i mean you'd kinda think you spend 8k with a company they would at least give you a email reply or something after messaging them a week or so ago. not really bothered that its taking a month for my motor but im tryin to plan out general time frames with my shop and parts ordering to get it done as fast as possible once it arrives. gettin kinda hyped actually, but i just like to at least be told somethin even if its sorry corona be sayin NOPE gonna take another month.

on the other hand, new equal length headers, msd ignition, fan/clutch, water hoses etc all came in. still waitin on fuel pump and radiator and coil. kinda need to order the rest of the exhaust though. and debating on all new accessory brackets and pulleys.... almost definitely doing the pulleys but the brackets are like $300 more bucks

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

16 hours ago, mopman94 said:

Yes Fords automatics are trash, their manual transmissions are fantastic though, it's a shame they weren't as readily available in the US because it made the Fiesta an absolutely fantastic car. There's a reason the Fiesta has been the best selling car in the UK since 2009 and before that the Ford Focus was the best selling 1999 - 2009.

If you look at the top 10 selling cars in the US last year 7 were large SUV's or pick ups, in Europe 8 of the top 10 were hatchbacks. This is why sadly when manufacturers produce new, cool small cars they won't put them in the US market immediately, they would likely lose money. 

Ford has made some decent autos. Particularly trucks. Ford was dumb to force the DCT way too early. It was another case of marketing and executives taking what engineers said and saying "meh, we got a deadline to make".

I think it will swing back around. Its what manufacturers like Honda and Toyota are hoping by keeping sedans in their lineups. That said I am looking to trade my civic for a truck here soon lol. I like my civic but getting in and out of it is getting annoying as my back gets worse and worse. Plus getting absolutely assaulted by rock chips. The same issue my Mazda had. My commute involves a 4 lane highway divided by a concrete barrier. If you are below the barrier you just get blasted by rocks non stop. Gonna look at a newer GMC sierra whenever it arrives at our dealer.

huh japan has the most interesting toll collection device

https://panasonic.jp/car/its/products/

the site is totally in Japanese

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Here's one for you guys from a car pleb 

Which years of the N47 are ones to look out for/avoid, with the cam chain issue? I know they swapped it with the B47 from 2014, but I remember seeing someone say that they'd made refinements on the N47, from like 2011 - 2014 to reduce the chances of the chain failing. 

Not sure if I should just stay away from anything with the N47, or if the 2011 onwards models will be 'ok'

DISCLAIMER 

Everything i say is my own opinion. So if you disagree with what I post, you are wrong. 

3 minutes ago, wANKER said:

Which years of the N47 are ones to look out for/avoid, with the cam chain issue? I know they swapped it with the B47 from 2014, but I remember seeing someone say that they'd made refinements on the N47, from like 2011 - 2014 to reduce the chances of the chain failing. 

Not sure if I should just stay away from anything with the N47, or if the 2011 onwards models will be 'ok'

its best to avoid ANY year of the N47. The later years do have less failures .. but they still happen.

Technically if you replace the chain and its guides it shouldnt have any issues... some somehow do end up failing anyways 

Actually its best to avoid that generation of 4 cylinders in general diesel and petrol. All have the exact same issue and you never know when it will go Boom

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

29 minutes ago, wANKER said:

Forgot to mention that the worst thing is that the chain is on the clutch side of the engine ... so you need to take the gearbox out to replace it ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

6 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Forgot to mention that the worst thing is that the chain is on the clutch side of the engine ... so you need to take the gearbox out to replace it ... 

Why do they even do this sometimes? Like how is that at all a good idea? It just creates headaches for everyone 

Spoiler

S62 and S85 Gang, S65 pretty sick too

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

45 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Why do they even do this sometimes? Like how is that at all a good idea? It just creates headaches for everyone 

Post purchase revenue flow. Like my parents X3, I finished the timing job and not even 3 week later the steering rack gave out. Another 1200 dollar part. My dad told me "I could have an acura or lexus in the garage instead of this endless money pit"

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

11 hours ago, vetali said:

Post purchase revenue flow. Like my parents X3, I finished the timing job and not even 3 week later the steering rack gave out. Another 1200 dollar part. My dad told me "I could have an acura or lexus in the garage instead of this endless money pit"

wasnt he the one who bought it in the 1st place? 😂

12 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

making it a PITA to service so you cant do it at home ... at least easily