Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

And I looked for 2 months for one prior to fixing my soft top and couldn’t find a single one in grey and none of them had defrost lol. Also they were all $1200. 

This one doesn't have a defroster which is completely fine by me, makes tint a lot easier to put on and remove.

8 hours ago, veldora said:

Anyone know what this is? I have a similar one on an engine mount, no idea what it is. My neighbors don't either. This one just sits there bolted on the trunk brace. It's not a bump stop or anything, and there's only one on the left side. 

20190714_154202.jpg

Its a dampener for absorbing vibrations. A lot of new cars have them on the exhaust systems now.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

I know I've been all over the place in what kinda car I want to be my first car but now I'm really cozying up to the idea of a 3rd Gen 4Runner, although I wouldn't be able to afford as good of an example. I'm trying to stay under $5k.

I wished this one had more pics but it spent most of its life in Arizona from what I can tell, it's only been in MN since 2016. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=521200374

I'd have to look into its service history but from a preliminary free search from a NMVTIS approved site it doesn't have any history of any rebuild or salvage brands on the title.

Frankly that'd be something I guess I'd have to be very careful about by buying a 4Runner up here is if it was northern owned is apparently frame rust is a big issue on them.
See my thing is body rust, I don't really want any body rust or it be relatively easily cleaned up but also frame rust.

Anyone else on here got any tips for 3rd gen 4runner shopping than just the general used car buying tips you hear all over the place? I've already seen that one video that's towards the top of search results for 3rd gen 4Runners kek.

a little tl;dr at this point lol
the reason I want a 4Runner is some really light towing like a smaller uhaul trailer with plenty of stuff but not exceeding its capacity but it's possible it might encounter some less than ideal road conditions not like any real hard off roading though lol that's not really my thing but like roads that maybe haven't been maintained in a long time lol

but I also want that Toyota reliability and capability like you get in the Land Cruisers but like for a whole lot less

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

10 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

agree about automatic just bwing another point of failure. but also stop and go traffic m8ght be more barable with an automatic but also the double clutch top models are like double the price than the 23i manuals sooo... yeah no

so yeah, sounds like the lower end 6 cylinder manual models are the ones for you to look for :D 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

10 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That actually looks like a decent deal. I'd recommend picking up an extra grit guard and another bucket though, so you can use the two bucket method. Also maybe consider extra microfiber towels and some interior cleaner as well, a clean interior seems to get overlooked by a lot of people. 

I've never used most of those specific products, but Chemical Guys does have a pretty good reputation, so I wouldn't hesitate to try it. 

I really like that this kit includes the post wash (quick wax) spray, this is an awesome little trick to help protect the car with fairly low extra effort. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Seems like an acceptable deal, go for it.

Was also thinking about picking up the Foam gun but I'm not sure if it's worth the $42; if anything it's the best deal right now of the "quality" looking foam sprayers

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, Real_PhillBert said:

That actually looks like a decent deal. I'd recommend picking up an extra grit guard and another bucket though, so you can use the two bucket method. Also maybe consider extra microfiber towels and some interior cleaner as well, a clean interior seems to get overlooked by a lot of people. 

I actually do have a second bucket already and some cleaning stuff, but my microfiber towels are relatively small. 

Do you use a foam sprayer at all?

Just now, TVwazhere said:

Was also thinking about picking up the Foam gun but I'm not sure if it's worth the $42; if anything it's the best deal right now of the "quality" looking foam sprayers

I haven't taken the foam gun plunge yet, but plan to now that I have a pressure washer, and everything I've read basically says don't buy a foam gun that doesn't have brass fittings. The plastic ones just don't hold up very well. 

Again, I haven't had any personal experience with this yet, but just what I've been reading. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

@TVwazhere

Now that I'm looking, if you want to spend $55 on a cleaning kit, and $42 on a foam gun, I'd just spring for the $100 kit with the brass foam cannon:

They have the $70 kit that has the plastic foam gun but it does seem to have brass fittings between the connection points. I'm not sure my pressure gun will take the brass version, but it looks like it already comes with a bottle. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1750-PSI-13-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-63254.html

6 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

They have the $70 kit that has the plastic foam gun but it does seem to have brass fittings between the connection points. I'm not sure my pressure gun will take the brass version, but it looks like it already comes with a bottle. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/1750-PSI-13-GPM-Electric-Pressure-Washer-63254.html

That might work, unfortunately I haven't taken the foam gun plunge yet so I cant really talk from experience on this. 

Give it a go and report back so I can get more feedback before I buy one! ;) 

7 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

That might work, unfortunately I haven't taken the foam gun plunge yet so I cant really talk from experience on this. 

Give it a go and report back so I can get more feedback before I buy one! ;) 

Looks to me that the professional gun uses a standard quick release adapter, something my electric pressure washer does not have. 

I'm buying the Prime deal discounted one with the Garden hose foam gun. I probably wont wash my car as much as you (or as much as you tel me to ;) ) It doesn't come with the same products as the other deal, but they look close enough to me. 

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Looks to me that the professional gun uses a standard quick release adapter, something my electric pressure washer does not have. 

I'm buying the Prime deal discounted one with the Garden hose foam gun. I probably wont wash my car as much as you (or as much as you tel me to ;) ) It doesn't come with the same products as the other deal, but they look close enough to me. 

The wheel brush is a super useful addition in that kit. I use my wheel brush all the time for wheels, tires and wheel wells.

16 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

13B swap your NC. Do it now @warmmilk

I mean its cool and all, but I got something more interesting coming... that'll make more than 200hp and 180tq... and will be more reliable (hopefully)

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

How to make your Miata a garage queen. I wish rotary engines were good but they're just not if you value long term performance.

4 hours ago, Bitter said:

How to make your Miata a garage queen. I wish rotary engines were good but they're just not if you value long term performance.

Unless you want to constantly be rebuilding it 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Unless you want to constantly be rebuilding it 

Well yeah, rotary project cars make sense. You'll never not be working on it. It's like owning a British classic.

WHERE'S THE V-TEC BRO

@bcredeur97

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

1 hour ago, chaozbandit said:

WHERE'S THE V-TEC BRO

@bcredeur97

Lol. Saw that. They wanted it to be dramatic but it wasn’t. 

Really I agree built to go fast miatas aren’t. They stick to the road like glue and are relatively easy to drive quickly 

unless you up the power. Power = drama lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/minneapolis-2002-toyota-4runner/6917056934.html

this 4Runner looks pretty decent, it was owned in PA until 2014.

imo as far as 3rd gen 4runners go, you should only spring for a limited model. and it's pretty fuckin hard just to find one under 200k; i mean i've seen one for sale that had 480k miles on original everything, and it was surprisingly clean. usually you can get by with a 2wd model too since those run a bit cheaper.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

32 minutes ago, terrytek said:

you can get by with a 2wd model

IUPxijt.jpg

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max