Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

imo as far as 3rd gen 4runners go, you should only spring for a limited model. and it's pretty fuckin hard just to find one under 200k; i mean i've seen one for sale that had 480k miles on original everything, and it was surprisingly clean. usually you can get by with a 2wd model too since those run a bit cheaper.

well I kinda want 4WD because one of these days I might supercharge it. I found out that Toyota made a supercharger for its engine so welp kek

apparently it's based off an Eaton M62.

I wanna stay under $5k so really, SR5 seems to be my only option.

This one was in AZ up until about 2016 according to a very basic car history report
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=521200374
This one is northern owned but it's a Limited
https://www.carsoup.com/details/Used/Toyota/4Runner/SUV/1999/JT3HN87R0X0230871-63266

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

8 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

well I kinda want 4WD because one of these days I might supercharge it. I found out that Toyota made a supercharger for its engine so welp kek

apparently it's based off an Eaton M62.

I wanna stay under $5k so really, SR5 seems to be my only option.

This one was in AZ up until about 2016 according to a very basic car history report
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=521200374
This one is northern owned but it's a Limited
https://www.carsoup.com/details/Used/Toyota/4Runner/SUV/1999/JT3HN87R0X0230871-63266

335k on that limited o.o 

i think it's safe to say you probably won't find a 4runner with under 200k miles, if any.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Have fun with XREAS...plan on gutting the suspension for Bilstein.

5 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Having driven a 2wd truck for most of the time i've been driving- yes you can get by in a 2wd. 

That being said- fuck having a 2wd. I almost got stuck on wet grass. 

wet. grass.

> 2wd
> :peachy:

lol especially on something that old, get a 4wd model

@MEC-777

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

14 hours ago, terrytek said:

335k on that limited o.o 

i think it's safe to say you probably won't find a 4runner with under 200k miles, if any.

that's something Im willing to accept, it's a Toyota so as long as it wasn't neglected it should be fine.

So new "M"135i series is not using ZF automatic trans, uses a FF layout and has a 4 cylinder 2 liter engine (straight out of 320i with just bigger turbo and intercooler) and looks ugly as shit.

Such a fucking shame, F20 and F20 LCI was by far my favorite ever hatchback. Now BMW made F20 M140i the next BMW 1M, by cutting the testicles and rear legs off the new 1 series.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The want for this is high.

Significantly less common than the regular XF S and in a very nice spec too. Caesium blue with the 3 litre McDersel V6

Interesting to see what the price goes up at

20190717_143342.jpg

20190717_143352.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

3 hours ago, Levent said:

So new "M"135i series is not using ZF automatic trans, uses a FF layout and has a 4 cylinder 2 liter engine (straight out of 320i with just bigger turbo and intercooler) and looks ugly as shit.

Such a fucking shame, F20 and F20 LCI was by far my favorite ever hatchback. Now BMW made F20 M140i the next BMW 1M, by cutting the testicles and rear legs off the new 1 series.

Front whee drive BMW? Can you say that again... that’s so weird 

now it’s just a car for people buying the badge? Pfft

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

https://www.standvirtual.com/anuncio/bmw-316-body-kit-m3-gps-ID8N9JSK.html

Why spend a shit ton of money on an M3 when you can get a 316d, kit it out, throw stupid amounts of money at it and still have it drive and sound like shit? Sounds like great idea to me. /s

Why am I not surprised someone would do this...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Any opinions on the forums here about BC racing coilovers? Looking to get a set for my car, they'll run a little over a thousand dollars. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews, but I'd definitely not run anything cheaper than these. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 hours ago, veldora said:

Any opinions on the forums here about BC racing coilovers? Looking to get a set for my car, they'll run a little over a thousand dollars. I've heard good reviews and bad reviews, but I'd definitely not run anything cheaper than these. 

I ran them on this 540/6 drift daily and they were great almost as good as the pss09s on my M5 at a quarter the price

for sale 054.JPG

Pete

8 hours ago, Levent said:

The new front grille looks hideous.

Almost like the new 2020 X7 / X8...so much like a front of a Rolls Royce ... the front of a coal train from the 1800's or some crap.

I liked the classic look, like what was on the E36 M3.

Wasn't a personal fan of the more "rounded look" from the E46 onwards.

The new generation F-series from 2014 ~ present was good -- I'm a big fan of the aggressive fronts.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

The new front grille looks hideous.

Almost like the new 2020 X7 / X8...so much like a front of a Rolls Royce ... the front of a coal train from the 1800's or some crap.

I liked the classic look, like what was on the E36 M3.

Wasn't a personal fan of the more "rounded look" from the E46 onwards.

The new generation F-series from 2014 ~ present was good -- I'm a big fan of the aggressive fronts.

Yeah I was also not a big fan of E90s, rounded body lines and especially that annoying side skirt lines never felt right to me. F10 still had some design cues from E chassis cars however F30 (especially M-sport pkg.) really got me hooked up to their new design cues.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 hours ago, veldora said:

I've had them on my Celica for a number of years now, since 2012, and I put about 5K a year on it though less this and the past year.  I have the older more basic BR model, they have some  nicer stuff out now and I'm a bit jealous honestly. I'm really tempted to upgrade as the 30 way compress/rebound adjustment isn't great. The first and last about 5 clicks don't feel like they do much, others report the same, and having the two tied together isn't ideal as I'd like more rebound damping in the rear and a little less compression damping in the front but don't want to give up the opposite to get that so it's a compromise. I changed ALL my suspension bushings to poly (even the rack) and swapped out the FSB (already had RSB) at the same time so it's hard to talk about how JUST the coilovers feel/handle.

Once I had them dialed in with a good alignment and good tires they don't ride terribly, I've certainly ridden in worse cars, however they're not fantastic on rough roads although I have different spring rates than standard because I'm crazy. Adjustable ride height, ha. You set it where you want it and leave it there, firstly because you have to realign every time you change it and secondly because once jammed down hard those adjusters jam down hard lol.

All in all I'd say they're worth the money, you could spend more and get a lot less, I guess it depends on your wants and needs from the suspension and from the car.

LOL it's hella stormy today and the shop power went out then back on and then a huge thunderclap hit. Shop PC couldn't find the hard drive after for a bit till I swapped ports with the DVD drive. Weird! Must have been some EMI from the lightning or something. Office PC was fine though.

21 hours ago, 711jrp said:

I ran them on this 540/6 drift daily and they were great almost as good as the pss09s on my M5 at a quarter the price

Recommend the 39 40i?

Considering them alongside the E38 740i which is my main choice but may get a 5er instead depending on whats about when im buying

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

On 7/15/2019 at 3:49 AM, pinksnowbirdie said:

I know I've been all over the place in what kinda car I want to be my first car but now I'm really cozying up to the idea of a 3rd Gen 4Runner, although I wouldn't be able to afford as good of an example. I'm trying to stay under $5k.

Have you looked into older jeeps at all? I'm pretty experienced with them and they are pretty good vehicles with similar body style to the 4runner. I've owned 2 2005 Grand Cherokees, my mom had a 2010 Limited GC and my step dad had a 2004 Limited GC. If they are maintained correctly they are pretty decent vehicles, but parts can be expensive for them. If you are looking for good mpg, they are not the vehicle you're looking for. Wranglers seem to be pretty cheap, WK's with 100,000 miles on them go for $3,000-4,000 in my area.

I got pretty lucky with mine, Limited version with 40,000 miles and the 5.7 Hemi. Bought it last summer off an old guy that used it for church, in basically brand new condition minus the brakes. Paid $6,000 for it and I expect it to last me a long time. Scoots along pretty well for it's size, doesn't even seem to be phased towing a uHaul trailer to college every year. My step dad's 2004 with the 4.7 v8 H.O. was (or felt) wicked quick, but I think that's because it was missing like 75% of the body due to rust xD His ran to 275,000 miles before the rear axle went bad and he ditched it. Engine still ran great.

Just a heads up that if you live in the rust belt make sure you wash the thing like every couple of hours, Jeeps are absolutely horrible when it comes to rust.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Recommend the 39 40i?

Considering them alongside the E38 740i which is my main choice but may get a 5er instead depending on whats about when im buying

Very much so , beat the snot out of that one with a welded diff for nearly five years and then sold it to a guy in the club, only problem is over here is the 6 speeds are getting very hard to find and people are wanting a lot for them now. I replaced that with a E61 535d and have to say it's better in every way, even the box is pretty good for an auto.

Pete

7 hours ago, 711jrp said:

Very much so , beat the snot out of that one with a welded diff for nearly five years and then sold it to a guy in the club, only problem is over here is the 6 speeds are getting very hard to find and people are wanting a lot for them now. I replaced that with a E61 535d and have to say it's better in every way, even the box is pretty good for an auto.

Is there much to look out for with them other than rust? Not too fussed about what gearbox as its gonna spend most its life commuting 

A 740i sounds a bit excessive but I've wanted one for years definitely think the 38s are the best looking BMWs of recent times

20190707_112821.jpg

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Is there much to look out for with them other than rust? Not too fussed about what gearbox as its gonna spend most its life commuting 

A 740i sounds a bit excessive but I've wanted one for years definitely think the 38s are the best looking BMWs of recent times

20190707_112821.jpg

The only serious rust issue is the jacking points other than that they are structurally very good, on the cosmetic side, some can be a bit Archie and can start in the petrol flap or the panel under the boot. funny enough the early cars seem to be better than the facelifts in general. BTW that's my pals E38, either would be epic.

Pete

19 hours ago, Votivee said:

Have you looked into older jeeps at all? I'm pretty experienced with them and they are pretty good vehicles with similar body style to the 4runner. I've owned 2 2005 Grand Cherokees, my mom had a 2010 Limited GC and my step dad had a 2004 Limited GC. If they are maintained correctly they are pretty decent vehicles, but parts can be expensive for them. If you are looking for good mpg, they are not the vehicle you're looking for. Wranglers seem to be pretty cheap, WK's with 100,000 miles on them go for $3,000-4,000 in my area.

I got pretty lucky with mine, Limited version with 40,000 miles and the 5.7 Hemi. Bought it last summer off an old guy that used it for church, in basically brand new condition minus the brakes. Paid $6,000 for it and I expect it to last me a long time. Scoots along pretty well for it's size, doesn't even seem to be phased towing a uHaul trailer to college every year. My step dad's 2004 with the 4.7 v8 H.O. was (or felt) wicked quick, but I think that's because it was missing like 75% of the body due to rust xD His ran to 275,000 miles before the rear axle went bad and he ditched it. Engine still ran great.

Just a heads up that if you live in the rust belt make sure you wash the thing like every couple of hours, Jeeps are absolutely horrible when it comes to rust.

Nah I’m pretty set on a 4Runner lol

3 hours ago, 711jrp said:

The only serious rust issue is the jacking points other than that they are structurally very good, on the cosmetic side, some can be a bit Archie and can start in the petrol flap or the panel under the boot. funny enough the early cars seem to be better than the facelifts in general. BTW that's my pals E38, either would be epic.

You know the owner too? One of the lads I work with told me both cars are his brother in laws. the black one has like 45k on it or something

Replica Veneno

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

I'm getting excited for TOTD in mid August, I hope the weather a d traffic are good! Never driven it, last time I was down there I got sick the day of the cruise and stayed in.