Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Sounds like you want the abarth. Get the BMW.

Dropped my big pry bar,missed the steel toe cap, think maybe broke my little toe, at least smashed it badly.

I stabbed myself with a pry bar today whilst doing brake pads.

Theyre surprisingly sharp

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

5 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

again with the questions for my car people here:

im just daydreaming about what my next car should be and thought maybe id ask around what other people think.

im stuck between 2 i really like:

the bmw z4 e89 i like mostly for design reasons. the long nose. the fact that its a roadster. the interior design including the big center console armrest. it just looks like its tons of fun to just relax and cruise. plus if you lower it and put some big rims on there it just look badass.

and then theres this little guy. the abarth 595. not the newset revision but the one before that mind you. effectivly also a 2 seater but very small and still 160HP and more. i do also like the exterior on this one especially again when lowered and some spacers on the wheels. this one doesnt so much scream badass but it just looks like it would be the most fun toy for grownups. also most of the ones out there come with an exhaust that honestly makes me a little horny hearing it. and its just the fact that you dont expect the performance and sound when you look at it. the interior i find a bit empty but absolutly love the bucket seats. plus you park anywhere with ease :D

:D hmmm apparently i felt the need to defend the 595 a bit more than i did the e89.

anyway which one would you go for? do you have technical reasons / knowledge about why to pick one over the other or just taste?

and please dont start with me about how both are crap and i should get this or that. im asking opinions about these 2. thanks guys

I have not hear much good about the 595 reliability ... but i have not heard much bad ... so i dont know what to say 
E89 will be like a newer BMW ... Just dont get the 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder (the N20 engine has a few lawsuits regarding a well known reliability issues of it loving to self destruct) Other than that the BMW you shouldnt worry much about it as long as it doesnt have any electrical issues.

Overall i think both cars are decent options but i would go BMW personally ... cause its a BMW and i bet i wouldnt fit in the 595 xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I need some advice.

I have a 2012 Impreza hatchback, very practical, but boring.

Do I:
Save money for a while and buy an additional "fun" car, like a miata, or maybe something even more interesting like a honda beat

Or

Buy a nice android auto head unit for my current car, bigger ssd for my computer, and a few other random things

I am torn between wanting a fun car, and wanting to buy other things...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 minutes ago, spwath said:

I need some advice.

Do I:
Save money for a while and buy an additional "fun" car, like a miata, or maybe something even more interesting like a honda beat

Or

Buy a nice android auto head unit for my current car, bigger ssd for my computer, and a few other random things

Fun car is going to cost you more than the other things honestly. But is also probably the most satisfying lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Fun car is going to cost you more than the other things honestly. But is also probably the most satisfying lol

That is my dilemma. Fun car will cost money and such, but... fun...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

26 minutes ago, spwath said:

I need some advice.

Do I:

Or

Just save tbh. Android Auto is nice, but not worth the extra bucks. As long as the head unit has a nice signal to your speakers it should be fine. AA and CarPlay is nice, and good for navigation, but you're still paying for eye-candy. 

I'd probably go for the Miata. That usually is the answer. Honda's are OK, but I'd prefer a Miata any day. Miata's are probably the nicest budget car out there. 

Just now, floofer said:

Just save tbh. Android Auto is nice, but not worth the extra bucks. As long as the head unit has a nice signal to your speakers it should be fine. AA and CarPlay is nice, and good for navigation, but you're still paying for eye-candy. 

I'd probably go for the Miata. That usually is the answer. Honda's are OK, but I'd prefer a Miata any day. Miata's are probably the nicest budget car out there. 

Honda beat is a cool tiny JDM car, but Miata is probably cheaper and easier to fix.

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

Honda beat is a cool tiny JDM car, but Miata is probably cheaper and easier to fix.

Oh I thought you meant like a 90s Honda hatchback as a beater. I'd still probably go Miata, because they seem to be more common. TBH the Miata looks much nicer, but you get what you want. 

5 hours ago, spwath said:

I need some advice.

Do I:

Or

racecar

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 hours ago, spwath said:

I need some advice.

Do I:

Or

If youre wanting a fun car dont bother spending money on your current car. The amount I spend on modified bits for my cars in the few months I own them for should tell you why its not a good idea lmao.

Just to add to this point im gonna be looking to replace the civic come sept/oct time and im still buying bits for it ? Decats coming back off and im probably gonna look for a slightly less obnoxious exhaust + might trade the K&N for a Gruppe M induction kit

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

19 hours ago, terrytek said:

i know the 595 is pretty cool and sounds fiery and all, but i would stay away if you want your wallet to stay weighted. maintenance and reliability aren't strong suits so that's something to take into consideration. i would rather go with the bmw. tbh.

ok. im not sure though because. the 595 is still basically a fiat and those seem to hold up pretty well or at least parts are usually cheapish. that being sad im also one to do all the maintainance myself. and bmw also has reports of having major engine problems and its not like bmw parts are cheap either. 

15 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

I have not hear much good about the 595 reliability ... but i have not heard much bad ... so i dont know what to say 
E89 will be like a newer BMW ... Just dont get the 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder (the N20 engine has a few lawsuits regarding a well known reliability issues of it loving to self destruct) Other than that the BMW you shouldnt worry much about it as long as it doesnt have any electrical issues.

Overall i think both cars are decent options but i would go BMW personally ... cause its a BMW and i bet i wouldnt fit in the 595 xD 

wel the 595s im looking are like 2014 and the e89s are like 2009 or 10 soo newer isnt really it. thanks on the engine advise iwas looking at the 23i specifically for being the smallest/cheapest 6 cylinder. i thought if im getting a bmw i might as well at least also get their 6 cylinder. how would i find out about electrical issues? dont those usually develop over time and are mostly sporadic? and actually i dont think interior space wise one is really bigger than the other the z4 is also very cozy. i might have to try both and see which one i fit in better ?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

5 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Decats coming back off and im probably gonna look for a slightly less obnoxious exhaust

image.gif

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

13 hours ago, spwath said:

I remember having one of those in GT4 and throwing money into it like a madman (ended up with 100hp or something like that xD). In all honesty, I really like the car, but I wouldn't buy one in your circumstances. Imagine someone rear ends you or worse; good luck finding the parts you need ;)

How much is a six cylinder 90s BMW? (I just had to xD)

16 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

image.gif

As much as i like the buddyclub the centre pipes fucked and as it is it is horrendously loud and im fed up of commuting in it lmao.

Probably just gonna get a Skunk2 or HKS

50 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

im fed up of commuting in it lmao.

Finally! xD

-_-

So I've been doing the math, this little Miata of mine is going to cost me roughly $15,000 for all the power train upgrades. A high price to pay to make 400WHP but hopefully the reliability that comes with all that will actually let me get a decent service life out of the thing. So far I have the built long block finished, about $4K out of the total $15K :D

Still so much more to buy and put together but it's coming along. I think I'm going to get another car to daily and make this one a dedicated track toy, no A/C (or interior for that matter) is killer during the Texas summer. I start a new job with RockAuto.com on Monday! So that will be a huge help in getting all this done, a big pay raise and much better hours is exactly what I needed.

You can see the price break down in my hand written notes here lol, this list is everything I still need regarding the turbo setup, from fueling to ignition to engine management to the PCV system. The 'drivetrain upgrades' at the bottom is for a KMiata BP to Getrag 260 conversion kit, clutch, transmission, seals, PPF delete, and everything else down to the poly suspension bushings. Along with my (completed!) $3,600 long block and $7,100 worth of turbo parts it adds up to a cool $15,000.

IMG_1736.thumb.jpg.28706c0fde4ddacbd6a3c32b994b010c.jpg

Thinking of a 2018ish Mazda 6, I want a Touring trim but it only comes in automatic, only the base model comes with a manual, might get a Mazda 3 Touring instead since I can get the manual with any Mazda 3 trim. Just something to not have any reason to modify and drive to work/sit in traffic comfortably. The Miata is still by far my most favorite car, especially to drive but the way things are going with it I don't think it's very friendly to daily anymore.

P.S. For anyone that thinks this is really expensive for 400WHP, consider the following: Cheap, reliable, powerful. Pick two.

Interested to hear people's thoughts. It is expensive, yes, but I am using only name brand parts and quite frankly I am overbuilding for the power level I want to achieve. One can make this power for quite a lot less, but this build is something I've always wanted to do.

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I remember having one of those in GT4 and throwing money into it like a madman (ended up with 100hp or something like that xD). In all honesty, I really like the car, but I wouldn't buy one in your circumstances. Imagine someone rear ends you or worse; good luck finding the parts you need ;)

How much is a six cylinder 90s BMW? (I just had to xD)

Yeah, I suppose, plus I might have to worry about the hospital bills as well if some one hits me at more than 5mph. Very small with no safety features other than a seatbelt.

5 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

ok. im not sure though because. the 595 is still basically a fiat and those seem to hold up pretty well or at least parts are usually cheapish. that being sad im also one to do all the maintainance myself. and bmw also has reports of having major engine problems and its not like bmw parts are cheap either. 

wel the 595s im looking are like 2014 and the e89s are like 2009 or 10 soo newer isnt really it. thanks on the engine advise iwas looking at the 23i specifically for being the smallest/cheapest 6 cylinder. i thought if im getting a bmw i might as well at least also get their 6 cylinder. how would i find out about electrical issues? dont those usually develop over time and are mostly sporadic? and actually i dont think interior space wise one is really bigger than the other the z4 is also very cozy. i might have to try both and see which one i fit in better ?

Yeah that is about the generation where bmw started to have a crap ton electronics that could go wrong.... Usually its fine.... Especially if you can find a manual transmission one 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

Finally did my first "mod" to the car. Replaced the nasty headlights with new LED ones. Just wish I had gotten the tail lights and fog lights in this weekend to do those as well.

Also rotated the tires, fronts are wearing a bit fast on the inside.

IMG_20190713_161424.jpg

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

6 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Finally did my first "mod" to the car. Replaced the nasty headlights with new LED ones. Just wish I had gotten the tail lights and fog lights in this weekend to do those as well.

Also rotated the tires, fronts are wearing a bit fast on the inside.

IMG_20190713_161424.jpg

wow night and day difference in those lights,looks great! i heard of a chemical that can restore those old lights to look just like those new ones ill have to find the link to it,its not expensive and in the least youll have a nice spare if anything happens to those.

heres the kit i have used in the past works great!

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/?tag=car-search-20

14 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

wow night and day difference in those lights,looks great! i heard of a chemical that can restore those old lights to look just like those new ones ill have to find the link to it,its not expensive and in the least youll have a nice spare if anything happens to those.

heres the kit i have used in the past works great!

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/?tag=car-search-20

I had tried something like that before but it didn't really work that well, might just be because it's so old. I'll try the 3M stuff.

I want to see if I can get something to put on the lenses to keep them from fading, the civic doesn't stay in the garage and is abused by the sun all day.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2 hours ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I had tried something like that before but it didn't really work that well, might just be because it's so old. I'll try the 3M stuff.

I want to see if I can get something to put on the lenses to keep them from fading, the civic doesn't stay in the garage and is abused by the sun all day.

What civic? I just bought an 04 LX (USDM) that’s to be a daily driver. Lol

headlight restore is only temporary unless you do something to protect it. My favorite is protective films. They (well the nice ones) are hard to apply but are thick and work really well

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

What civic? I just bought an 04 LX (USDM) that’s to be a daily driver. Lol

headlight restore is only temporary unless you do something to protect it. My favorite is protective films. They (well the nice ones) are hard to apply but are thick and work really well

Mine is actually an 04 LX as well. I'm seeing a lot of XPEL, is that what you used?