Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Mine is actually an 04 LX as well. I'm seeing a lot of XPEL, is that what you used?

I used xpel on my Miata. I couldn’t find it for the civic so I’ll probabky just get new ones like you did. Either that or custom cut some bulk film from 3M.

My civic isn’t running yet. Bit of a junker I got for cheap. I also think I broke it More in the process (May have killed the ecu test driving it with a broken top alternator bolt lol) I didn’t know it was broken but yeah... guess it was short enough that it didn’t engage very well and worked it’s way out and the alt lost its ground :/ 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

15 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Yeah that is about the generation where bmw started to have a crap ton electronics that could go wrong.... Usually its fine.... Especially if you can find a manual transmission one 

well yeah i was gonna go manual anyway. i somezimes forget that automatic is even an option

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

2 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

well yeah i was gonna go manual anyway. i sometimes forget that automatic is even an option

The automatic is not a bad option, its just more electronics to worry about. So less electronics the better imo :D 
Then again i think the top model had a dual clutch transmission not a boring ol' automatic... so that might be a quite nice option. 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

28 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

IMG_1742.thumb.jpg.25c218e4dea6e8f95131f5af8af03b69.jpg

Finally got a hardtop! Dramatically changes the look of the car :x

OEM hardtop with glass window and Jass Performance mounting brackets, a steal at $800

Ur spending $15k modifying a $1500 mx5

Man you crazy

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

you guys ever watch on youtube the barn find hunter by hagerty? man i watched the crap out of that show now i want to go hunting for an old car to restore lol!

29 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

you guys ever watch on youtube the barn find hunter by hagerty? man i watched the crap out of that show now i want to go hunting for an old car to restore lol!

No, you don't lol. Almost every 'restored' car I see come through the shop is a shit show. It looks pretty from 10 or 20 feet but you get under it and the horrors begin. Usually the front suspension is completely worn out, from the outer tierod ends to the steering U joint and everything in between. Beyond that the bottom is never as good looking, pretty common to see floors 'patched' with scraps of sheet metal just laid under the carpet, no welding, no seam sealer, no rivets, just laid in there. Those 'car restoration' guys with the 'sweet deals' are nearly always hacks. We see terrible work with the fluid lines under hood too, usually the lines are leaking all manner of fuel or oil onto hot parts. It's just atrocious. Why do they do such a shitty job? Because doing it right would cost too much. Doing it right would push their cost past the market prices for those cars in running shape and eat their bottom line. If you go and restore a sweet barn find you'll either do it right and have sunk in double what the car can sell for or you'll half ass it and sell it because you don't actually like it about 1/2 way through.

24 minutes ago, Bitter said:

No, you don't lol. Almost every 'restored' car I see come through the shop is a shit show. It looks pretty from 10 or 20 feet but you get under it and the horrors begin. Usually the front suspension is completely worn out, from the outer tierod ends to the steering U joint and everything in between. Beyond that the bottom is never as good looking, pretty common to see floors 'patched' with scraps of sheet metal just laid under the carpet, no welding, no seam sealer, no rivets, just laid in there. Those 'car restoration' guys with the 'sweet deals' are nearly always hacks. We see terrible work with the fluid lines under hood too, usually the lines are leaking all manner of fuel or oil onto hot parts. It's just atrocious. Why do they do such a shitty job? Because doing it right would cost too much. Doing it right would push their cost past the market prices for those cars in running shape and eat their bottom line. If you go and restore a sweet barn find you'll either do it right and have sunk in double what the car can sell for or you'll half ass it and sell it because you don't actually like it about 1/2 way through.

you misunderstand what i mean,i plan on stripping the car down to the frame and acid dip everything i can for a super complete restore,like restore it myself,theres some solid cars out there left in the world just have to find them,thats why i asked if anyone seen that show,there were some nice 32 fords he found that were great restore candidates,and the guy only wanted like 500-1000 bux for them! and i would most likely go to south california to find a barn find anyways because well the rust isnt as bad,everyone says look out west for a restore project.

18 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

you misunderstand what i mean,i plan on stripping the car down to the frame and acid dip everything i can for a super complete restore,like restore it myself,theres some solid cars out there left in the world just have to find them,thats why i asked if anyone seen that show,there were some nice 32 fords he found that were great restore candidates,and the guy only wanted like 500-1000 bux for them! and i would most likely go to south california to find a barn find anyways because well the rust isnt as bad,everyone says look out west for a restore project.

As long as you're in a complete understanding of how much time and money you'll invest and never ever get that money back out of it.

Just now, Bitter said:

As long as you're in a complete understanding of how much time and money you'll invest and never ever get that money back out of it.

of course! its not about the money its the experience doing it,so much fun,i did a 73 amc amx javelin in my youth and that was a blast! i paid like 2k for the car it was super solid and didnt need to strip it down to the frame,so i just pulled the engine rebuilt it,painted the engine bay,painted the body,pulled the transmission and rear end rebuilt the transmission but i put a cheetah manual valve body in it for street racing,and put 4.10 rear end gears...loved that thing was super fast but had way too much torque,i was fortunate to get an amc with the original 401 block instead of the more common 360.I bored it 60 over with forged flat top pistons steel crank etc etc,man i loved that car im ready to do it again!

43 minutes ago, xreaperx22 said:

of course! its not about the money its the experience doing it,so much fun,i did a 73 amc amx javelin in my youth and that was a blast! i paid like 2k for the car it was super solid and didnt need to strip it down to the frame,so i just pulled the engine rebuilt it,painted the engine bay,painted the body,pulled the transmission and rear end rebuilt the transmission but i put a cheetah manual valve body in it for street racing,and put 4.10 rear end gears...loved that thing was super fast but had way too much torque,i was fortunate to get an amc with the original 401 block instead of the more common 360.I bored it 60 over with forged flat top pistons steel crank etc etc,man i loved that car im ready to do it again!

Ill sell you a "barn find equivalent" civic

Its not been parked up at all in its 14 year life but its in a similar state to the titanic so ?‍♂️

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Ill sell you a "barn find equivalent" civic

Its not been parked up at all in its 14 year life but its in a similar state to the titanic so ?‍♂️

LOL....im looking for a much older car and prefer hot rods or muscle cars,i might even do a rat rod though im not sure yet depends on what i find,i really want to find a decent de tomasso pantera but the odds arent good to find one worth restoring,and already restored ones are super expensive.

4 hours ago, byalexandr said:

IMG_1742.thumb.jpg.25c218e4dea6e8f95131f5af8af03b69.jpg

Finally got a hardtop! Dramatically changes the look of the car :x

OEM hardtop with glass window and Jass Performance mounting brackets, a steal at $800

And I looked for 2 months for one prior to fixing my soft top and couldn’t find a single one in grey and none of them had defrost lol. Also they were all $1200. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

This is why if I restore a car I fix the mechanicals first. After that there’s usually no money left for anything else tho ???

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

This is why if I restore a car I fix the mechanicals first. After that there’s usually no money left for anything else tho ???

agreed i always tackle the mechanicals first also,but thats because i enjoy those way more than body work,i love tearing down engines and rebuilding them,brings back some great memories of my uncle who taught me all this stuff when i was younger,always great to have a mechanic in the family! lol now i can pass down those skills to my son if i can tear him away from the computer long enough! lol

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

And I looked for 2 months for one prior to fixing my soft top and couldn’t find a single one in grey and none of them had defrost lol. Also they were all $1200. 

Sounds like my almost 8 year search for a pair of gray plastic with red inserts JDM Celica Door sills! Pure chance that I found mine, gray and red is SUPER rare combo but it's a real from the factory part. I was SO excited when I finally got them, they look amazing and are in good shape for old parts. I can't imagine the car without them on it now actually, it looks how it should have come. They're not actually JDM, they're specific to the Australian market which is why finding any was so rare because they ONLY came on 2 years of one model of Celica in Australia so it's like super status to have them haha except they're not even on anyones radar in the 7th gen community because everyone just wants to swap to the later black interior and get the stupid JDM climate control that's tilted toward the passenger side and only works in Celsius.

Anyone know what this is? I have a similar one on an engine mount, no idea what it is. My neighbors don't either. This one just sits there bolted on the trunk brace. It's not a bump stop or anything, and there's only one on the left side. 

20190714_154202.jpg

20190714_154056.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, veldora said:

Anyone know what this is? I have a similar one on an engine mount, no idea what it is. My neighbors don't either. This one just sits there bolted on the trunk brace. It's not a bump stop or anything, and there's only one on the left side. 

-snip-

is it heavy? I almost want to say it's a weight to make the trunk lid heavier so it's easier to close. Lol

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

is it heavy? I almost want to say it's a weight to make the trunk lid heavier so it's easier to close. Lol

Hmmm, maybe? Though the little cylinder is nearly identical to the one on the engine mount. It feels like a thick rubber coating on round steel stock. Sorry I didn't answer the question lol, yes it is heavy. All solid steel. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

It's the special CIA radioactive tagging cylinder so they can track your car anywhere at any time from the chem trails they hide their spy balloons in.

Nah man, it's a mass dampener, probably quiets some resonances at some point they had during testing.

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's the special CIA radioactive tagging cylinder so they can track your car anywhere at any time from the chem trails they hide their spy balloons in.

Nah man, it's a mass dampener, probably quiets some resonances at some point they had during testing.

Yeah? Interesting. Probably doesn't do much now, I have two twelve inch subwoofers in the trunk.  Thanks :)

Spoiler

20180613_215001.thumb.jpg.b31beab4a2c9e58069502a329f21eba9.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just a dab of oppo

@MEC-777

DSC09922.jpg

Edit: Wickens got a massive standing ovation throughout the track in his hand controlled NSX

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

12 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

The automatic is not a bad option, its just more electronics to worry about. So less electronics the better imo :D 
Then again i think the top model had a dual clutch transmission not a boring ol' automatic... so that might be a quite nice option. 

agree about automatic just bwing another point of failure. but also stop and go traffic m8ght be more barable with an automatic but also the double clutch top models are like double the price than the 23i manuals sooo... yeah no

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

13B swap your NC. Do it now @warmmilk

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB