BSOD "Critical_Process_Died" after system restore.

Hi, I am using an XPS 15 9575, with th3 latest version of Windows 10. I felt performance was a bit weird after updating Dell apps, so I used system restore to revert to before I updated the Dell softwares. I have done this multiple times in the past on this laptop and my other laptops with no issue. It completed successfully this time as well and I was able to use my laptop just fine, that is, until I restarted it… Now I'm stuck in this "Critical_Process_Died" BSOD boot loop. I have tried using the system restore again but it always fails, DISM gives me error 50, I really hope I wouldn't have to re-install windows... 

8 minutes ago, Yoshida said:

Hi, I am using an XPS 15 9575, with latest versiyn of Windows 10. I felt performance was a bit weird after updating Dell apps, so I used system restore to revert to before I updated the Dell softwares. I have done this multiple times in the past on this laptop and my other laptops with no issue. It completed successfully this time as well and I was able to use my laptop just fine, that is until I restarted it and now I'm stuck in this boot loop. I have tried using the system restore again but it always fails, DISM gives me error 50, I really hope I wouldn't have to re-install windows... 

Have you tried doing repairs with an ISO? Running sfc and DISM commands from the command prompt when booted into a Windows ISO?

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

17 hours ago, Agall said:

Have you tried doing repairs with an ISO? Running sfc and DISM commands from the command prompt when booted into a Windows ISO?

Yes I have.

Running "SFC /Scannow" I get the "Windows Resource Protection was unable to perform the requested operation" reply after it reached 100%.

While any of the DISM commands:

"

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:D:SourcesInstall.wim /LimitAccess

"

immidiately gives me the "error 50".

I have the "undo system restore" restore point as well as 2 other restore points, but whenever I try to restore using the System Restore from the recovery menu I get the "Drive (Status) ■ Local Disk (C) (System) System protection must be enabled on this drive." error.

To bypass the above issue, I try the steps from this site "https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.easeus.com/amp/computer-instruction/you-must-enable-system-protection-on-this-drive.html"

but ultimately it'll fail giving me this error "System Restore failed while restoring the registry from a restore point.  An unknown error occurred while restoring the system.  (0x80070002)"

Btw I can't even get into any of the safe modes, it'll just bring me right back to the BSOD with the same "critical_process _died" error. 

I did some google research and found that some people that had this issue fixed it by using the registryback command, followed the instructions on "https://pureinfotech.com/restore-registry-backup-windows-10/" but mine's reporting 0 bytes so that's a no go too...   

I also tried running the "chkdsk /r" but it'll fail immidiately, that is, unless I use the "chkdsk /f /r /x" but even after that I still get to the same old BSOD with the same error.

13 hours ago, Yoshida said:

Yes I have.

Running "SFC /Scannow" I get the "Windows Resource Protection was unable to perform the requested operation" reply after it reached 100%.

While any of the DISM commands:

"

• DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
  • DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:D:SourcesInstall.wim /LimitAccess

"

immidiately gives me the "error 50".

I have the "undo system restore" restore point as well as 2 other restore points, but whenever I try to restore using the System Restore from the recovery menu I get the "Drive (Status) ■ Local Disk (C) (System) System protection must be enabled on this drive." error.

To bypass the above issue, I try the steps from this site "https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.easeus.com/amp/computer-instruction/you-must-enable-system-protection-on-this-drive.html"

but ultimately it'll fail giving me this error "System Restore failed while restoring the registry from a restore point.  An unknown error occurred while restoring the system.  (0x80070002)"

Btw I can't even get into any of the safe modes, it'll just bring me right back to the BSOD with the same "critical_process _died" error. 

I did some google research and found that some people that had this issue fixed it by using the registryback command, followed the instructions on "https://pureinfotech.com/restore-registry-backup-windows-10/" but mine's reporting 0 bytes so that's a no go too...   

I also tried running the "chkdsk /r" but it'll fail immidiately, that is, unless I use the "chkdsk /f /r /x" but even after that I still get to the same old BSOD with the same error.

RIP

That's some intense corruption.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017