ROG Ally X, is it going to have USB4?

I have a feeling like they would've included it in the specifications release if it were true, but has anyone seen any suggestion that the ROG Ally X will have USB4?

Otherwise, its simply not enough of a product improvement to justify the higher price tag in my opinion, the regular Ally being nearly just as capable. We'll likely see similar performance gains that the Steam Deck OLED got with its faster RAM, as in, "slightly better but not by much to really matter".

I could see Asus not including USB4 specifically to sell their XG Mobile eGPUs, but that seems likely a mostly niche/dead product at this point. If Lenovo releases a similar refresh with more+faster RAM for their Legion Go, it seems like the better route for USB4 support that the Legion Go already has.

I personally have a Steam Deck OLED, but I keep up on these handhelds since I do have friends, at least one, who daily drives an Ally as his gaming PC (primarily a console player prior).

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

29 minutes ago, Agall said:

ROG Ally X will have USB4?

Asus is going all in on their gaming port so I doubt theyd hurt themselves by opening things up for 3rd party stuff.

You said it yourself they have a competing product directly for what most users would want from usb4 a gpu dock.

Wasnt there a handheld with oculink?

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Asus is going all in on their gaming port so I doubt theyd hurt themselves by opening things up for 3rd party stuff.

You said it yourself they have a competing product directly for what most users would want from usb4 a gpu dock.

Wasnt there a handheld with oculink?

A lot of the Chinese handheld brands will include occulink. Lenovo Legion Go has USB4 and even a separate USB-C port that would let you segregate your peripherals to it (to not eat up bandwidth/latency on the eGPU). 

But I agree, I doubt Asus will do it not because it wouldn't be an easy and low cost upgrade, but because it would allow customers to not be forced to spend $2000 on a eGPU, since the latter cheaper variants aren't ever in stock. I really really hope they at least release an XG mobile 7600MXT variant since those are prolific on the eGPU market. If it fell within $500-600 USD, it would let the Ally X compete with decent gaming laptops in total price.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

4 minutes ago, Agall said:

A lot of the Chinese handheld brands will include occulink. Lenovo Legion Go has USB4 and even a separate USB-C port that would let you segregate your peripherals to it (to not eat up bandwidth/latency on the eGPU). 

But I agree, I doubt Asus will do it not because it wouldn't be an easy and low cost upgrade, but because it would allow customers to not be forced to spend $2000 on a eGPU, since the latter cheaper variants aren't ever in stock. I really really hope they at least release an XG mobile 7600MXT variant since those are prolific on the eGPU market. If it fell within $500-600 USD, it would let the Ally X compete with decent gaming laptops in total price.

Most people that have a handheld tend to basically use it like a switch. Boot it up for a game and then put it down.

Which is good thats basically what they wanna be!

However for users that want more they tend to be left by the wayside. That an windows kinda sucking for handheld operation

With the deck going multi million in sales I do expect to have some more generic handhelds come around that will do all you need.

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Most people that have a handheld tend to basically use it like a switch. Boot it up for a game and then put it down.

Which is good thats basically what they wanna be!

However for users that want more they tend to be left by the wayside. That an windows kinda sucking for handheld operation

With the deck going multi million in sales I do expect to have some more generic handhelds come around that will do all you need.

For me, its mostly a dead concept. I'm so spoiled at this point, however, the month I exclusively used my Steam Deck OLED provided a more than adequate experience.

The way I've generalized it, the Steam Deck OLED is the best handheld, the Ally is the best handheld/docked PC, and the Legion Go is the best docked. What prevents the Ally from just being the best is the lack of USB4 and larger battery, the battery part being solved with the Ally X, but probably not the USB4 limitation.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

5 hours ago, jaslion said:

Honestly surprises me. And no cg connector?

Asus killed it by only having a $2000 version available instead of something more reasonable in the $500-600 range. They were probably afraid of hemorrhaging their mid range laptop market. 

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500