ASRock B650 LiveMixer vs MSI B650 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi

The LiveMixer is the better board IMO and it would save you $20, though whether its worth the effort of returning the B650 Gaming Plus is more up to how much effort returning it is. If it's just from Amazon and you can drop it off at Kohl's or something, yeah I'd return it, but if it's more like Newegg with their mediocre return policy, I wouldn't bother. 

8 minutes ago, rohleder00 said:

I bought the MSI B650 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi last night and it shipped, but at noon today I saw ASRock's B650 LiveMixer on sale. Is it worth returning the motherboard and ordering the LiveMixer?

ASRock B650 LiveMixer
MSI B650 Gaming Plus Wi-Fi

That LiveMixer board is pretty cringe, so I wouldn't personally. It does look like a better designed board based on the layout and rear I/O however.

If you really like it, then why not.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

That LiveMixer board is pretty cringe, so I wouldn't personally. It does look like a better designed board based on the layout and rear I/O however.

If you really like it, then why not.

Hahaha. Actually, there's more to it than that. LiveMixer supports GEN 5 M2 SSD and has better phases. But I don't know when GEN 5 SSD prices will normalize.

1 minute ago, rohleder00 said:

Hahaha. Actually, there's more to it than that. LiveMixer supports GEN 5 M2 SSD and has better phases. But I don't know when GEN 5 SSD prices will normalize.

PCIe 4.0 SSDs are just fine still, maybe when we get more DirectStorage enabled games will PCIe 5.0 drives start to matter or make sense.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

7 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The LiveMixer is the better board IMO and it would save you $20, though whether its worth the effort of returning the B650 Gaming Plus is more up to how much effort returning it is. If it's just from Amazon and you can drop it off at Kohl's or something, yeah I'd return it, but if it's more like Newegg with their mediocre return policy, I wouldn't bother. 

It will be enough for me to walk for 20 minutes and deliver it but pricing in my area varies slightly. I'll actually pay $30 more for ASRock.

10 minutes ago, Agall said:

That LiveMixer board is pretty cringe

I dunno, its pretty fantastic. Would I use it? Ahh, probably not.. but I'm excited someone else is willing to LMAO.

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I dunno, its pretty fantastic. Would I use it? Ahh, probably not.. but I'm excited someone else is willing to LMAO.

YARN | Just a matter of opinion. | Tenacious D - Tribute ...

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

6 minutes ago, rohleder00 said:

It will be enough for me to walk for 20 minutes and deliver it but pricing in my area varies slightly. I'll actually pay $30 more for ASRock.

Oh, I wouldn't do that then. The LiveMixer's greatest strength is its rear IO and its price ($150 US vs. $170 for the Gaming Plus), if the pricing isn't better and the rear IO isn't a necessity for you, I wouldn't do the swap. 

9 minutes ago, rohleder00 said:

LiveMixer supports GEN 5 M2 SSD and has better phases.

Neither of those really matter. A better VRM doesn't mean much when both boards are overkill for a 7950X, and Gen 5 SSDs are not really useful for the average consumer. If DirectStorage becomes a thing within the next 10 years, then maybe, but right now there's barely any benefit of a Gen 4 SSD, let alone Gen 5. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the only motherboards that isn't just a random slab of black/grey plastic/aluminum, therefore it must be respected even if you don't like the aesthetics of it personally. If I needed an AM5 board for my system, I'd buy it just for that.

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Oh, I wouldn't do that then. The LiveMixer's greatest strength is its rear IO and its price ($150 US vs. $170 for the Gaming Plus), if the pricing isn't better and the rear IO isn't a necessity for you, I wouldn't do the swap. 

Neither of those really matter. A better VRM doesn't mean much when both boards are overkill for a 7950X, and Gen 5 SSDs are not really useful for the average consumer. If DirectStorage becomes a thing within the next 10 years, then maybe, but right now there's barely any benefit of a Gen 4 SSD, let alone Gen 5. 

It was an answer that removed the question marks in my head. Thank you very much! For the processor, I will wait for AMD Ryzen 8000 series. If the prices are good, I will buy an 8000 series processor. Otherwise, my decision will be R7 7800X3D.

41 minutes ago, rohleder00 said:

I will wait for AMD Ryzen 8000 series.

*9000 series, being announced next month. 

8000 series is already out but they are APU's based on the existing Zen4 architecture. Ryzen 9000 is Zen5 based. 

Ryzen 7 7800x3D -  Asus RTX4090 TUF OC- Asrock X670E Taichi - 32GB DDR5-6000CL30 - SuperFlower 1000W - Fractal Torrent - Assassin IV - 42" LG C2

Ryzen 7 5800x - XFX RX6600 - Asus STRIX B550i - 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 - Corsair SF750 - Lian Li O11 Mini - EK 360 AIO - Asus PG348Q

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

*9000 series, being announced next month. 

8000 series is already out but they are APU's based on the existing Zen4 architecture. Ryzen 9000 is Zen5 based. 

You're right, I misspelled it. Yes, I'll be waiting for the 9000 series.

LiveMixer any day of the week. 1 more PCIe x16 slot and 1 more m.2 slot with those being interchangeable... For me this alone is more than worth it. Add on top of that better power delivery and it's really a fantastic deal for $20 less. I would switch immediately, but as you can see, some other people have different views on the topic. 

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

2 hours ago, QuantumSingularity said:

LiveMixer any day of the week. 1 more PCIe x16 slot and 1 more m.2 slot with those being interchangeable... For me this alone is more than worth it. Add on top of that better power delivery and it's really a fantastic deal for $20 less. I would switch immediately, but as you can see, some other people have different views on the topic. 

I already ordered ASRock today, thank you 🙂 It's actually $20 more expensive than MSI on my country but it's okay. I'll be happy with ASRock.