Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Least it's not a BMW or any British pile of junk those are far worse.

British yes, BMW...ehhh tough call but I'd be inclined to place the BMW over VAG products solely for the interior quality alone. When you put the same painted buttons in your VW and Audi lines that are in a Chevy Cruze and the paint rubs off them the same way....

And anyone remember VAG and their 'soft touch' materials? More like gooey sticky mess!

31 minutes ago, Bitter said:

British yes, BMW...ehhh tough call but I'd be inclined to place the BMW over VAG products solely for the interior quality alone. When you put the same painted buttons in your VW and Audi lines that are in a Chevy Cruze and the paint rubs off them the same way....

And anyone remember VAG and their 'soft touch' materials? More like gooey sticky mess!

To be fair this is a HPA manifold problem not a VAG problem. Simply no one really tunes flapless manifolds that well for the TSI. I'm not that impressed with BMW interior's or exteriors to be honest. Lexus IS series cars have a much nicer interior in my opinion. ?

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

Question to all of yous, how important is the undertray (a plastic cover that "protects" the engine bay from underneath)? Due to at least 3 of the screws holding it disappearing, a third of it has disappeared so the right side drags along the road now ?. Any point in getting a new one? I've currently just taped the right side back on so it would stop scraping along the road. 

I would remove it as it's just cover but can't reach any of the screws holding the left side without lifting the car. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Question to all of yous, how important is the undertray (a plastic cover that "protects" the engine bay from underneath)? Due to at least 3 of the screws holding it disappearing, a third of it has disappeared so the right side drags along the road now ?. Any point in getting a new one? I've currently just taped the right side back on so it would stop scraping along the road. 

I would remove it as it's just cover but can't reach any of the screws holding the left side without lifting the car. 

that depends where you live how heavy they salt ( if winter driving ). you wont damage anything major unless you hit a big rock. ive seen some people fit in alu sheets but they tend to have 300+++ HP and drive like they stole everything inside the car 

2 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

It helps with fuel economy for sure- depending on car can also help with cooling and potentially even some protection. Grab some zip ties and secure it back up there

does it really ? do you actually get that much drag/turbulence that ur MPG does down to any noticeable level ?, genuine question as i've never even thought about that nor care to be completely honest but never the less interesting 

10 minutes ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

does it really ? do you actually get that much drag/turbulence that ur MPG does down to any noticeable level ?, genuine question as i've never even thought about that nor care to be completely honest but never the less interesting 

Stops air traps under the front end. Id imagine its probably only about 1 or 2 mpg difference

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

160lbs of boost anyone? ?

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Stops air traps under the front end. Id imagine its probably only about 1 or 2 mpg difference

just found this little snippet "For a full-size truck, a change in drag coefficient of 0.01 is approximately equal to an improvement in fuel economy of 0.1 mpg on the combined city/highway driving cycle" now i have no idea how to calculate DC but looking at the 0.1mpg im hoping its less than 1-2mpg xD if not im wasting so much fuel holy shit

37 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

if you dont drive a piece of shit, zip tie it back up. if you do drive a piece of shit, rip it off and throw it in the recycling bin. like @iDeFecZx said the manufacturer spent money designing and installing tens of thousands of those parts for a reason. - areodynamics

areodynamics

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

They can also protect the engine bay from water splashing up directly  in it which can cause some issues especially with the drive belts. Hit a big enough puddle and you’ll hear em squeal

also alternators don’t like water. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I think most cars have a higher drag coefficient than 0.01 as well xD

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Finished painting most of the boot lid for the R33, just touching up the corner where it messed up from unmasking it too early.

Fitted everything back in place, so once the corner dries, ready to go on the car. 

20190525_164334.thumb.jpg.2bd26da75b8fa6c173adf42801bcdffe.jpg

Also the new clutch arrived from Australia

20190525_164951.jpg.bfc58b0d29f25ff6ce0833847aae4a3a.jpg

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

20 hours ago, Norwegiantweaker said:

that depends where you live how heavy they salt ( if winter driving ). you wont damage anything major unless you hit a big rock. ive seen some people fit in alu sheets but they tend to have 300+++ HP and drive like they stole everything inside the car 

*cough cough* very, very, very heavily. About three days ago, I drove over a road that was newly salted...because some councils are cray cray. There is also a lot of salt in our air in general as where I live, it's about 35 miles west coast to east coast. 

So I guess it probably is worth spending £100-200 in getting a new one, maybe. 

37 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*cough cough* very, very, very heavily. About three days ago, I drove over a road that was newly salted...because some councils are cray cray. There is also a lot of salt in our air in general as where I live, it's about 35 miles west coast to east coast. 

So I guess it probably is worth spending £100-200 in getting a new one, maybe. 

You could probably use some fiberglass reinforced body filler to repair yours if it isn’t too bad 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

You could probably use some fiberglass reinforced body filler to repair yours if it isn’t too bad 

Well...here's approximately what's missing ?

image.png.e05800a7554cff96c0b1a712e48df8ff.png

Might be worth getting a new one...

49 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yeah that’s pretty bad... lol

Spoiler

Just what the civic needed, more NOISE.

I will eventually get round to sorting out the mid pipe with something less fucked.

K100s on the cards next for a more suitable VTEC point and bump in power up to around 230 with the current mods. Then depending whats going on its time to focus on the suspension

20190525_173147.jpg

5 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

What car is this on again? And rather than getting a new one go to the local scrappers, probably only cost you £30 at most

3 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Just what the civic needed, more NOISE.

I will eventually get round to sorting out the mid pipe with something less fucked.

K100s on the cards next for a more suitable VTEC point and bump in power up to around 230 with the current mods. Then depending whats going on its time to focus on the suspension

20190525_173147.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to go UNDER the car, not inside the car.

48 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to go UNDER the car, not inside the car.

Well how else does one get it home

Its going on once ive got access to a lift at work lmao

LOUD NOISES

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

It hasn't folded in half yet, you know nothing of Toyota truck rust.

GQtFok1.jpg

54 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It hasn't folded in half yet, you know nothing of Toyota truck rust.

GQtFok1.jpg

I had one of those Tacoma’s I sold it. My tundra has a brand new frame from Toyota though.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Holy rust!

Yep, replacement body panels are in the works.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Went to the track yesterday, had some fun, set a new PB of 1:39.23, but parts of the track were repaved so it doesn't really count... the powers that be said the changes should result in about a 2 second reduction in laptime, and well... I went those 2 seconds faster... even though I went from RS4's to R888R's... in my defense it was raining earlier that day so the track was green, the 2 switchbacks (T3a-3b) were literally repaved the day before.  So thats my official excuse for track layout only improvement and no tire improvement.  None of that stopped my asshØle friend with his asshØle BRZ from running an asshØle 1:35.5 on asshØle year old and like 4-5 track day old asshØle RE71R's mounted asshØle backwards.  I never should have sold him my race seat... or talked his wife into buying him a BBK for his birthday... but I'm not bitter... I'm happy for him...

in other news, my pad knockback is finally fixed. finally.  for the first time since I've owned the car.  the car that I bought a BBK for right away so I don't have any brake issues.  that I had brake issues since day 1. 3 years (or is it 4?) I finally have good brakes.  I replaced the master, booster, and the vacuum line that goes to the booster and has a check valve in it.  I suspect it was the check valve but not sure...

anyway.. here are my vids...

the section around the 52-1:00 mark in the first vid is where asshØle pulls the most amount of time on me.  He's generally just a hair faster most places, but this section he does faster than pretty much anyone.  Even a very experienced driver in a GT3RS that laps in the 1:20's.. 

@bcredeur97 @vinyldash303 @chaozbandit @terrytek @vetali

Edit: linked the same vid twice, fixed with correct link

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's