Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

33 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

So my hatred of having anyone else touch my cars has been re-enforced yet again.

right hand rear quarter right where it meets the rear bumper cover:

-snip-

It looks like when the new rear bumper cover was put on about 15 months ago, they installed it directly up against the right hand rear quarter, well after ~15mo of slowly vibrating around, it's kicked the paint off the rear quarter. Fuck me.

The place that did the bumper replacement has a lifetime warranty on their work, so I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. 

I absolutely HATE it when other people touch my cars. Hate hate hate hate hate. 

I just want them to care. why is that so hard to ask XD I will literally pay you extra if you just care about the car instead of just wanting to get me in/out as fast as possible

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

I just want them to care. why is that so hard to ask XD I will literally pay you extra if you just care about the car instead of just wanting to get me in/out as fast as possible

People don't care, and largely aren't nearly as good as they think they are. :( 

I called the shop and explained what's going on, he seems to think it would be no problem getting it corrected under warranty, but we'll see when I actually put the car in front of them. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Anyone watching this guy?

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

18 hours ago, Speedyv said:

Is it that intensive because of the freesync because PC2 really didn't seem that hard to run from what I've seen. I was thinking of using a xeon haswell i7 equivalent with a 970 at 1080p no freesync. 

IIRC i could run both game perfectly fine with a 4790K and a GTX 960 2GB 

also dont get a G29 ... get a T150 pro ... or if you can spare a little more money T300 pro 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

54 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Thats the reason why I'm anal about changing my diff fluid. If its always got fresh fluid in it. I shouldn't have any problem never needing the front or rear diff rebuilt. Because the people that rebuild it probably won't do as crazy good of a job as I'd want. Like, minimal backlash, a very very good gear patterning, nice bearings etc. (maybe carbon fiber clutches in the limited slip??)

The rear axle on the S10 had backlash on the high end of the tolerance range. The axle on the Tahoe however, is for sure on the low end of the range. Its pretty neat noticing stuff like that.

Did the Ass Dyno(tm) conclude that or?... 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

So much wanttttt

IMG_20190528_181717_673.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, IKnight said:

Anyone watching this guy?

wow that thing looks nuts I need to go back and watch.. subbed to him.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Thats the reason why I'm anal about changing my diff fluid. If its always got fresh fluid in it. I shouldn't have any problem never needing the front or rear diff rebuilt. Because the people that rebuild it probably won't do as crazy good of a job as I'd want. Like, minimal backlash, a very very good gear patterning, nice bearings etc. (maybe carbon fiber clutches in the limited slip??)

The rear axle on the S10 had backlash on the high end of the tolerance range. The axle on the Tahoe however, is for sure on the low end of the range. Its pretty neat noticing stuff like that.

seeing ETCG on youtube and how much trouble he went through to get his diff rebuilds perfect... I just know no one else is gonna do that. they are gonna slap that thing together and call it fine so they can make their grand or so off of you and send you on your way.

why would they care? most of them think either the person will get rid of the car within 50k miles of a diff rebuild or they'll have them as a customer again in 50-100k miles. Yay

no incentive to put it back together as it was originally so it lasts another 200-300k (or more)

So I agree 1000% this

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

wow that thing looks nuts I need to go back and watch.. subbed to him.

seeing ETCG on youtube and how much trouble he went through to get his diff rebuilds perfect... I just know no one else is gonna do that. they are gonna slap that thing together and call it fine so they can make their grand or so off of you and send you on your way.

why would they care? most of them think either the person will get rid of the car within 50k miles of a diff rebuild or they'll have them as a customer again in 50-100k miles. Yay

no incentive to put it back together as it was originally so it lasts another 200-300k (or more)

So I agree 1000% this

Yeah the dude is nuts. Not only is he good at fabricating, he goes into the maths/physics behind why he does things the way he does. It's crazy. 

Here are mine, one is with me the other is back home.

Mini is the JCW Rally edition

STi is a Stage 2 with no visible modded look

Mini1.jpg

mini2.jpg

STiFront.jpg

STiRear1.jpg

23 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Quotes my post doesn't read "I may have to expand my search to fwd"

shoulda started with that then shouldnt ya

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

6 minutes ago, Dieork said:

Here are mine, one is with me the other is back home.

Mini is the JCW Rally edition

STi is a Stage 2 with no visible modded look

What so rally edition about that 'Not really a Mini' then?

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

What so rally edition about that 'Not really a Mini' then?

'Not really a Mini' it's German :) It has mech all-wheel drive and under shielding and up-armored suspension. It all so has a 2nd set of rims that adds some GC and won't cost stupid $$ per rim if you trash them like the normal JCW rims do (I have trashed 2 JCW rims from road conditions). 

38 minutes ago, Dieork said:

'Not really a Mini' it's German :) It has mech all-wheel drive and under shielding and up-armored suspension. It all so has a 2nd set of rims that adds some GC and won't cost stupid $$ per rim if you trash them like the normal JCW rims do (I have trashed 2 JCW rims from road conditions). 

Fair enough

I keep forgetting the pacemans are a thing, dont see too many of them about.

Parents have had a few minis, R53 and an R56 Cooper S were the longtermers and had a Countryman for all of about 4 months.

We've had a lot of cars

20171223_111642.jpg

JPEG_20181003_104009.jpg

received_1541795372557426.jpeg

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Fair enough

I keep forgetting the pacemans are a thing, dont see too many of them about.

Parents have had a few minis, R53 and an R56 Cooper S were the longtermers and had a Countryman for all of about 4 months.

We've had a lot of cars

-snip-

so going through a car once a week runs in the family. got it.

Spoiler

I'm loving this thread... it's been far too long since I owned something really sporty. I'm aching to get back into something Japanese built, with either a V6 or nicely turbo'd... preferably a coupe of some kind.

I miss my old MX6's... Had a Jspec import that I took from 198bhp to almost 225bhp. It drove on rails thanks to the 4WS and got me around the Nurburgring in 9:36... It had more grip than I had balls to be honest. I didn't have a lot of faith in the wheels/tyres/brakes I had on the car at the time and it had stock discs with EBC reds. I'd upgraded suspensions, ARB's, strut braces, lighter flywheel, stage 2 clutch, full stainless race headers, hi flow cat and stainless scorpion catback, bored out throttle body, egr delete, high flow intake and so forth.

Sadly, I had to let her go in 2012 as my late father was really ill and disabled, and I needed a 4 door family sized car to help get him about.

I wouldn't say no to another MX6... I've still got a few cosmetic parts in the shed (Mazdaspeed spoiler on a debadged and smoothed bootlid, stainless sills, Bose subwoofer)... But finding a Jspec variant is almost impossible now. Most have been cannibalised for the KLZE engines to put in other cars... and finding performance parts has always been hard.

So here's a couple of pics of the two I owned.

As for what's next... I've got a limited budget... and UK prices can be a little silly. It must be built in Japan and it must be a coupe... V6 preferred, turbo 4 pot optional. As for power... 250BHP stock at least... with room for tweaks. I do lean more towards 90's coupes... but budget dictates something else as they can be costly to buy/repair and maintain due them being very popular with the drifting community... If I could afford it, I'd love a Mitsi GTO, always liked them.

mycar01.jpg

mycar08.jpg

mycar06.jpg

IMG_0443.JPG

mycar07.jpg

IMG_0387.JPG

tintedrears01.jpg

S1034250.jpg

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

5 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Negative........... You... can.... feel the backlash... when.... you put it... in... Drive.... or Reverse....... the more play..... the more... the vehicle...... will lurch....

feels different.... than a hard shift.... from... a fucked up.... transmission......

My tundra has all of the backlash.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

3 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Generally why I've always liked trucks. Potholes have never been a problem.

Tire sidewall is an amazing thing when you have lots of it. Have gone through potholes that would reach the center of the wheel on cars.

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

shoulda started with that then shouldnt ya

Not my fault you don't read after the first sentence. ? That being said I'm highly neurotic ? so I genuinely go random in my head all the time :/ its a curse

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

6 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Generally why I've always liked trucks. Potholes have never been a problem.

61819875_2102997836672996_55395383571086

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

20 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

-snip-

new law: Trucks only
reason: we wont be fixing the potholes

Spoiler

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

I like it. Not as much as I like good roads though. 

Just make them dirt roads, like true dirt, not gravel. Just needs to be graded every once in a while.

Gravel can go die, that stuff basically says "I'm gonna f you up" to paint and tires.

8 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

"I keep forgetting the pacemans are a thing"

I'm pretty sure that the Pacemans have been end of life for a few years now, mines 6 years old and now.

AE083B54-C7FE-4B73-9FEE-E58697958F84.thumb.png.235673ba79030362487d6f43154efc4b.png

Brain: Will you stop trying to unscrew that philips, it’s going to strip.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB