Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

2 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

So the first bodyshop quote came back for my car...time to find a less upmarket bodyshop!!

After tax/VAT, they wanted £1900 to repair my sill & jacking point, which is eye-wateringly high. I've not had bodywork done on a car before, and I know it could potentially be quite an involved job(E36's are weird)...but damn. The red flags started waving furiously again, when he wanted £550-750 to repair a small bit of corrosion on my wheelarch. We're talking only 1cm long on the inner lip, not a 'cut the whole arch out' job.

That's including paint, but it's also with the replacement panels supplied by me.

I told him I'd "Have a think and let him know", the polite way of saying "jog on ya thieving c**t" xD 

Im having that kind of luck but with vehicle wrapping places.

£300 to wrap a FLAT roof on a honda civic in gloss black? yeah fuck off with ur 20 quids worth of vinyl and half hour job

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

@iDeFecZx I'll do it for £50 and a Twix ;) 

But really, £300 just for the roof?? At that price, I'd buy some 3M and give it a go yourself...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

So the first bodyshop quote came back for my car...time to find a less upmarket bodyshop!!

After tax/VAT, they wanted £1900 to repair my sill & jacking point, which is eye-wateringly high. I've not had bodywork done on a car before, and I know it could potentially be quite an involved job(E36's are weird)...but damn. The red flags started waving furiously again, when he wanted £550-750 to repair a small bit of corrosion on my wheelarch. We're talking only 1cm long on the inner lip, not a 'cut the whole arch out' job.

That's including paint, but it's also with the replacement panels supplied by me.

I told him I'd "Have a think and let him know", the polite way of saying "jog on ya thieving c**t" xD 

Sounds like you may have picked a place that would do it right instead of do it cheap, cost and quality don't always equate but they often do. Shop around but keep them in mind, research some about body work, the right and wrong ways to do repairs, read more into their reviews and then make a more informed choice after having a conversation with them and with others that quote you. Discuss the particulars of the repair, their methods and materials, maybe take a look at some of the cars they've finished that are at the shop still. It'll cost more to get the same problem repaired correctly later after someone else did it wrong.

11 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Im having that kind of luck but with vehicle wrapping places.

£300 to wrap a FLAT roof on a honda civic in gloss black? yeah fuck off with ur 20 quids worth of vinyl and half hour job

If it's so easy to do it perfectly, why don't you do it yourself?

32 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Sounds like you may have picked a place that would do it right instead of do it cheap, cost and quality don't always equate but they often do. Shop around but keep them in mind, research some about body work, the right and wrong ways to do repairs, read more into their reviews and then make a more informed choice after having a conversation with them and with others that quote you. Discuss the particulars of the repair, their methods and materials, maybe take a look at some of the cars they've finished that are at the shop still. It'll cost more to get the same problem repaired correctly later after someone else did it wrong.

So it's a bit of both worlds, hard to explain without going into too much detail. Essentially, the shop in question is proposing the most invasive, and labour intensive way of repairing the car. Yes, technically, it is the best way there's no denying that. But there is another method which is far easier, and when done well, wouldn't be any less strong. hell, it would be easy to add plating to make it even stronger than new, if you were paranoid.

The E36 coupe has a Strange sill construction, instead of having a pinch welds and box sections like many 80's and 90's cars, it has larger cavities. There's a beam that goes all the way up inside the rear 3/4 to the plastic trim line. The hole in the side near the bottom is where the factory jacking arm goes into the side of the sill.

jGuGLQ83.jpg.e81ae0ead7b19f36a7847ffdac8fa9ae.jpg

And here's a picture of the entire beam, removed from the car. This is NOT my car, I'm sure a few of you can tell. But it's the same issue, the bottom of the beam has held water and collapsed. mine isn't quite that bent, but isn't exactly weight bearing.

XFCvCZ5V.thumb.jpg.1768111346fef1a5d7a00c4a0d739536.jpg

SO.

What the garage intends, is to cut out the entire beam, to my count that's 8 spot welds, and 2 seam welds from the inside and outside of the car, including cutting away the lower rear 3/4 like in the picture. I'd need to strip the interior myself unless I wanna pay them £300 to do it for me. Replace it with a new one, and then close up. 

What I think, and what a few people I know have actually done themselves... is cut off the beam below the jacking hole, and weld in a new donor lower section. Of which I have two, both without rust. That's only 2 spot welds, and all accessible from the outside of the car. This should be plenty strong enough if welded correctly, and like I said above, if you're paranoid you can plate it on either side. 

What the guy said, is that he was not willing to even entertain this second method. His proposed way whilst good...would take twice as long, cost several times more, and replace metal that probably 80% of which was perfectly fine. He only seems to want my business, if it's 'big ticket' if you catch my drift. Maybe he can make a bigger margin from it that way, or use it as a way to show off the handiwork of his business on social media. Who knows.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

33 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

@iDeFecZx I'll do it for £50 and a Twix ;) 

But really, £300 just for the roof?? At that price, I'd buy some 3M and give it a go yourself...

Thats what im thinking of doing but im lazy and i have bigger priorities with it first

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

27 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

So it's a bit of both worlds, hard to explain without going into too much detail. Essentially, the shop in question is proposing the most invasive, and labour intensive way of repairing the car. Yes, technically, it is the best way there's no denying that. But there is another method which is far easier, and when done well, wouldn't be any less strong. hell, it would be easy to add plating to make it even stronger than new, if you were paranoid.

The E36 coupe has a Strange sill construction, instead of having a pinch welds and box sections like many 80's and 90's cars, it has larger cavities. There's a beam that goes all the way up inside the rear 3/4 to the plastic trim line. The hole in the side near the bottom is where the factory jacking arm goes into the side of the sill.

jGuGLQ83.jpg.e81ae0ead7b19f36a7847ffdac8fa9ae.jpg

And here's a picture of the entire beam, removed from the car. This is NOT my car, I'm sure a few of you can tell. But it's the same issue, the bottom of the beam has held water and collapsed. mine isn't quite that bent, but isn't exactly weight bearing.

XFCvCZ5V.thumb.jpg.1768111346fef1a5d7a00c4a0d739536.jpg

SO.

What the garage intends, is to cut out the entire beam, to my count that's 8 spot welds, and 2 seam welds from the inside and outside of the car, including cutting away the lower rear 3/4 like in the picture. I'd need to strip the interior myself unless I wanna pay them £300 to do it for me. Replace it with a new one, and then close up. 

What I think, and what a few people I know have actually done themselves... is cut off the beam below the jacking hole, and weld in a new donor lower section. Of which I have two, both without rust. That's only 2 spot welds, and all accessible from the outside of the car. This should be plenty strong enough if welded correctly, and like I said above, if you're paranoid you can plate it on either side. 

What the guy said, is that he was not willing to even entertain this second method. His proposed way whilst good...would take twice as long, cost several times more, and replace metal that probably 80% of which was perfectly fine. He only seems to want my business, if it's 'big ticket' if you catch my drift. Maybe he can make a bigger margin from it that way, or use it as a way to show off the handiwork of his business on social media. Who knows.

Or he's been burned in the past with liability for a 'quick' repair and no longer wants to take that risk.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20171218/RETAIL05/171219991/did-insurer-pressure-lead-to-42-million-verdict

https://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/todd-tracy-john-eagle-collision-center-lawsuit-consequences-faulty-repairs/

So while it may seem silly to you, he may have his reasons or he's just a stickler for doing it the right way. Perhaps. While your repair isn't as drastic as 108 missing spot welds and panel bonding adhesive, there's the potential for it to come back on him if the over-strengthened area doesn't deform properly during a side impact or the repair collapses and causes harm to someone working on the car. When it comes to body structure I'm leery of cutting corners.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Or he's been burned in the past with liability for a 'quick' repair and no longer wants to take that risk.

https://www.autonews.com/article/20171218/RETAIL05/171219991/did-insurer-pressure-lead-to-42-million-verdict

https://www.bodyshopbusiness.com/todd-tracy-john-eagle-collision-center-lawsuit-consequences-faulty-repairs/

So while it may seem silly to you, he may have his reasons or he's just a stickler for doing it the right way. Perhaps. While your repair isn't as drastic as 108 missing spot welds and panel bonding adhesive, there's the potential for it to come back on him if the over-strengthened area doesn't deform properly during a side impact or the repair collapses and causes harm to someone working on the car. When it comes to body structure I'm leery of cutting corners.

Whilst I appreciate your point, there's certainly no crumple zones in that area. The only concession I can see would be the holes, which are there for weight just as much as...crumple-ability. If plating the sides of the beam was needed(which personally I don't think they are), they'd be no more of a safety concern than the thick walled, steel sleeve that the factory jack goes into. They both have an equal chance of coming in contact with a passengers ankles, god forbid I ever have an accident that bad ? 

Not to say I'm an advocate of cutting corners, far from it. But I simply don't see a compelling reason why the job needs to be as involved as they're saying it must. If the corrosion was more significant, well sure. But they're tampering with so much more of the body than this job requires, in places that are more structurally important; the top half of the beam ties into the inner sill, as well as the inner wall of the rear 3/4 panel. Now those connections would definitely add some body rigidity.

I'm meeting a local guy on Saturday, who came quite widely recommended from friends. So we'll see how that quote compares, and his thoughts on the whole issue too :) 

p.s. Not sure if it was intentional, but using the term 'burned' in the same context as those links was a tad distasteful

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

5 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I was thinking like, 38 or 39 psi instead of 35

9 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

I was thinking like, 38 or 39 psi instead of 35

most tires iirc are rated for up to 42 cold. certainly wouldn't go over that.

problem is we have idiots who can't read the sidewall and think 60 psi is fine

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

most tires iirc are rated for up to 42 cold. certainly wouldn't go over that.

problem is we have idiots who can't read the sidewall and think 60 psi is fine

Pretty sure most car tyres over here are able to be inflated up to 60psi maximum

13 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Pretty sure most car tyres over here are able to be inflated up to 60psi maximum

maybe the 42/44 whatever it is standard is a US DOT thing

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

the load range E tires on the dump truck trailer grandparents next door neighbors have go to 117 psi 

yeah.

Most people have little reason to inflate a tire beyond 40-45 anyway. I'm pretty sure the mpg gains are negligible beyond that.

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

4ply passenger tires go to 44 psi.

10 ply truck tires go to 80.

Don't remember what my 6 ply truck tires go to. They have 32 in them.

That's weird.

I werent far off

Screenshot_20190227-171626_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

I werent far off

-snip-

michelin's sidewalls on their summer tires look sooo good

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

michelin's sidewalls on their summer tires look sooo good

Theyre pretty much brand new tbf

20190209_142017.jpg

I've been wondering something about winter tires...

I hear that you just switch to them when the weather starts getting cold enough and you switch back when it starts getting warm enough. But I live in Michigan. Last week it went from blizzard to t-shirt weather to blizzard again twice. How the hell do you manage seasonal tires in that?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I hear that you just switch to them when the weather starts getting cold enough and you switch back when it starts getting warm enough. But I live in Michigan. Last week it went from blizzard to t-shirt weather to blizzard again twice. How the hell do you manage seasonal tires in that?

you keep the winter tires on

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Started the bike from its hibernation today, also checked the wheel bearings, swing arm bearings and the chain. Thinking the chain might be a little loose but thats about it. Started up better than usual as this time it actually had fuel. I just rememberd i left the fuel tap on so i need to go close that before the entire garage and bottom floor of the house smells like guzzerlino again and mom gets super pissed ?

*edit*

yep, there was a small puddle of gas under the bike, oops...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Dash Lambda said:

You don't change them. Winter tires can be used in the summer just fine afaik, just wear faster. Summer tires shouldn't be used in winter however.

Anyone got a correction on this?

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Theyre pretty much brand new tbf

20190209_142017.jpg

20180331_140201.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You don't change them. Winter tires can be used in the summer just fine afaik, just wear faster. Summer tires shouldn't be used in winter however.

Anyone got a correction on this?

Any tire can be used anywhere. Not sure if I'd rather have summer tires in the winter or winter tires in the summer though, neither is a great option.

3 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

But yeah. They're called winter tires, not "only when it feels like winter" tires.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Having driven Dunlop Direzza Z2's during a sudden fall snow squall and resultant road icing I can confirm that you do not want summer tires in the winter. I literally was sliding sideway on the road sitting stopped at a red light. That being said, I have been out in freezing and sub freezing temps on those same tires when it's dry and they're not great but can be driven on, I imagine it's what it must have felt like wearing wooden shoes. Also they're super sketchy when it's wet and below 45F, I won't take that car out if it's only in the 40's in the morning even on dry days.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Having driven Dunlop Direzza Z2's during a sudden fall snow squall and resultant road icing I can confirm that you do not want summer tires in the winter. I literally was sliding sideway on the road sitting stopped at a red light. That being said, I have been out in freezing and sub freezing temps on those same tires when it's dry and they're not great but can be driven on, I imagine it's what it must have felt like wearing wooden shoes. Also they're super sketchy when it's wet and below 45F, I won't take that car out if it's only in the 40's in the morning even on dry days.

I've been using my summers in the winter. Great when its straight rain. But with all the gravel they have on the roads during this freeze spree its annoying AF. I drive the Durango if theres a threat of snow. Easier than putting on my no seasons on steelies. 

This happened to me this morning when I went to work:

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

25 minutes ago, vetali said:

I've been using my summers in the winter. Great when its straight rain. But with all the gravel they have on the roads during this freeze spree its annoying AF. I drive the Durango if theres a threat of snow. Easier than putting on my no seasons on steelies. 

This happened to me this morning when I went to work:

Honestly not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing or hearing.

The Z2 are most certainly NOT appropriate for temps below 50F, they can work but it's not good. My little no torque engine can spin them with ease which is something that should not happen, locking up the brakes takes very little effort, and I haven't even tried anything with lateral acceleration. I will say that my Li-FE-PO4 battery shockingly started the car after sitting out all day in 20F temps, I'm still impressed by that. 1/3 of the battery weight are the brass posts!

6 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Honestly not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing or hearing.

The Z2 are most certainly NOT appropriate for temps below 50F, they can work but it's not good. My little no torque engine can spin them with ease which is something that should not happen, locking up the brakes takes very little effort, and I haven't even tried anything with lateral acceleration. I will say that my Li-FE-PO4 battery shockingly started the car after sitting out all day in 20F temps, I'm still impressed by that. 1/3 of the battery weight are the brass posts!

I have conti extremecontact sports. Stopping distance is fine for me. Still wheel hops like crazy when getting on it. But yeeah I am really over the cold weather. We haven't been mushroom stamped by a cold wave like this in years. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra