Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

29 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

Do you think at  $46,000 that this car is worth the money?  this one has 33k miles and its a 2015

-snip-

if you can afford the maintenance on a $120k car, yes.

expect to pay $150-200/hour at dealerships and also expect parts to cost 4x more than say, a honda.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

37 minutes ago, ELSknutson said:

What? 

Just cause it's selling for cheap doesn't mean replacement parts are cheap. Or labor. If anything goes wrong on that car your pocketbook is gonna have a fun time.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Just cause it's selling for cheap doesn't mean replacement parts are cheap. Or labor. If anything goes wrong on that car your pocketbook is gonna have a fun time.

yep really it's something you buy for $45k or whatever, but have $20k sitting a bank account aside for when it goes wrong.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

thats what warranties are for also I have own/ owned several luxury vehicles  and services can be expensive if you have the dealer work on them but if you do it your self its not too bad. 

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

yep really it's something you buy for $45k or whatever, but have $20k sitting a bank account aside for when it goes wrong.

not

Image result for doug demuro bumper to bumper warranty

Gimme:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ford-rs200-2/

1986_ford_rs200_15501850842d5a26d7ffulls

$150,000. 1,135 miles. 

So. Much. Want.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

8 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Nothing is more expensive than a cheap nice vehicle

The old saying for buying a mercedes is 30,000 now or 30,000 later, your pick ? It's more like 50k+ these days though.

7 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

Gimme:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-ford-rs200-2/

$150,000. 1,135 miles. 

So. Much. Want.

Where did the ears go?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

I've begun to collect parts to put a better turbo in my Saab, my goal is to have all the things I need to the summer. 

So far I've bought a secondhand TD04HL-15T that is in the aero trim of the cars, I'm going to renovate it since there is a little shaft play.

20190226_172836.thumb.jpg.d1d2ea8af16260e42b07dc77df3e3d18.jpg

20190226_172830.thumb.jpg.4ea5bfe318a8e1df8a5e6c87127d774e.jpg

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Ok, so the Chrysler dealer called yesterday, said they installed the new PCM and.....drumroll....same problem. They programed it and now the car doesn't start. They called again this morning for an update, they spent a bunch of time on the phone with Chrysler corporate troubleshooting the issue and it turns out that there's a problem with the latest software update, one other Jeep Compass in the country has been down for 3 weeks while they've been trying to figure it out. This manager, the boss of the asshole, was very apologetic for the asshole and said he wishes he could give a timeline but it's out of their hands at this point they just have to wait to hear the issue has been resolved by Chrysler and the new software is available. Something to do with the security part of the software.

So my question, which I did not ask, is if we had done as asshole had said and bought a new PCM and they flashed it and it still didn't start where would we have been then? Anyway, I just hope it gets sorted soon. These customers are really nice people, one of them is my ex/still friends from a while back and she's stuck driving her dad's terrible van. Luckily she only drives locally to and from work, but her brother who's job is to drive people around is racking up a bunch of miles on her car instead of racking up a bunch of miles on his own car. I guess the upshot is that now it's got a low miles 30K engine, a brand new trans, a new heater core, and a new PCM, AND a new airbag module per the recall. So short of the car getting hit there's really nothing else to go wrong on it anymore!

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Ok, so the Chrysler dealer called yesterday, said they installed the new PCM and.....drumroll....same problem. They programed it and now the car doesn't start. They called again this morning for an update, they spent a bunch of time on the phone with Chrysler corporate troubleshooting the issue and it turns out that there's a problem with the latest software update, one other Jeep Compass in the country has been down for 3 weeks while they've been trying to figure it out. This manager, the boss of the asshole, was very apologetic for the asshole and said he wishes he could give a timeline but it's out of their hands at this point they just have to wait to hear the issue has been resolved by Chrysler and the new software is available. Something to do with the security part of the software.

So my question, which I did not ask, is if we had done as asshole had said and bought a new PCM and they flashed it and it still didn't start where would we have been then? Anyway, I just hope it gets sorted soon. These customers are really nice people, one of them is my ex/still friends from a while back and she's stuck driving her dad's terrible van. Luckily she only drives locally to and from work, but her brother who's job is to drive people around is racking up a bunch of miles on her car instead of racking up a bunch of miles on his own car. I guess the upshot is that now it's got a low miles 30K engine, a brand new trans, a new heater core, and a new PCM, AND a new airbag module per the recall. So short of the car getting hit there's really nothing else to go wrong on it anymore!

Thats pretty crazy, but its gonna become a more common issue in the future.

Our first passport we sold has been in the shop for a week now with an issue that nobody knows shit on because its too new and Honda is trying to cross reference everything with pilots. I have a feeling the issue is gonna boil down to one of the modules thinking the car is a pilot, because the thing is so rushed/bastardized together. Some parts are straight up pilot part numbers. Some are passport. Its probably gonna be an issue where an engineer ends up looking at it and replacing everything until it works. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

14 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Sure, only needs $46,000 for maintenance though.

And the rest

Its a maserati

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

5 hours ago, Oskar94a said:

I've begun to collect parts to put a better turbo in my Saab, my goal is to have all the things I need to the summer. 

So far I've bought a secondhand TD04HL-15T that is in the aero trim of the cars, I'm going to renovate it since there is a little shaft play.

20190226_172836.thumb.jpg.d1d2ea8af16260e42b07dc77df3e3d18.jpg

20190226_172830.thumb.jpg.4ea5bfe318a8e1df8a5e6c87127d774e.jpg

I've also got a 15T I'm planning on having rebuilt into a 19T ?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

43 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

I've also got a 15T I'm planning on having rebuilt into a 19T ?

Okay, that's what I'm going to do as the next thing when I have all this together. Maybe next year or so.

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

39 minutes ago, Oskar94a said:

Okay, that's what I'm going to do as the next thing when I have all this together. Maybe next year or so.

I figured while my car has been down for so long, might as well upgrade some stuff and make it better than ever when it comes back onto the road, have a Krona Catless DP, and JT Superflow Catback to throw on it, along with a Krona exhaust manifold

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 hours ago, vetali said:

Thats pretty crazy, but its gonna become a more common issue in the future.

Our first passport we sold has been in the shop for a week now with an issue that nobody knows shit on because its too new and Honda is trying to cross reference everything with pilots. I have a feeling the issue is gonna boil down to one of the modules thinking the car is a pilot, because the thing is so rushed/bastardized together. Some parts are straight up pilot part numbers. Some are passport. Its probably gonna be an issue where an engineer ends up looking at it and replacing everything until it works. 

Well it's not like this 2012 Jeep Compass is even new. I told the driver of the car 'I guess they're getting their updates from the same place Microsoft is'

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

And the rest

Its a maserati

I've been really really shocked at the amount of Maseratis I see in Fargo the last couple of years. 

I see at least one Levante a week, often more; and Ghiblis every couple of weeks. 

I do kinda wonder how they hold up over time. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

31 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I've been really really shocked at the amount of Maseratis I see in Fargo the last couple of years. 

I see at least one Levante a week, often more; and Ghiblis every couple of weeks. 

It'll be a function of how FCA holds up over time to service them. If the F part of FCA bails out of the CA part then those Maserati owners are just straight boned.

9 hours ago, Oskar94a said:

-snip-

just don't do a repeat of @RevoltTrain

8 hours ago, Bitter said:

98-02 miata's have an issue where one day you'll go to your car and it'll start for a few seconds then die, with the key light flashing. then it'll just crank and not start.

It's an issue with the immobilizer dying a pitiful death. Only solutions are:
1. aftermarket ECU (solid $1.2k + tune.. unless you can daily a base tune idk)

2. New ECU, keys, ignition cylinder, and immobilizer from mazda (prob enough $ to total the car)

3. Rig up a JDM ecu that's incompatible with immbolizers to work (hard to find)

When I swapped my motor I bought a JDM motor and got an ecu and everything for it and made it all work. So while my immbilizer sits there useless.. at least I'll never have this problem. (I also made it so it's reversible and kept the old ECU.. it sits safely in a closet)

42 minutes ago, Real_PhillBert said:

people are buying Ghibli's because they can be had cheap, though there really isn't anything special about them over other sport sedans...actually I think the tech and stuff is a bit older. People buying it for the badge.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

people are buying Ghibli's because they can be had cheap, though there really isn't anything special about them over other sport sedans...actually I think the tech and stuff is a bit older. People buying it for the badge.

I agree. People are wanting a "High End" vehicles that aren't just like their neighbors BMW/Audi/Mercedes etc. Same story with the Alphas. 

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Well it's not like this 2012 Jeep Compass is even new. I told the driver of the car 'I guess they're getting their updates from the same place Microsoft is'

Hopefully they backed up their files. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

19 hours ago, ELSknutson said:

I have own/owned several luxury vehicles and services can be expensive if you have the dealer work on them but if you do it your self its not too bad. 

The thing is, self servicing can aid depreciation of the car more with premium models. If you ever intend to sell it on, it's a catch 22. Save money on service and repairs, to lose it on resale.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

3 hours ago, Real_PhillBert said:

I dont understand why people even bother with the Levante or the Ghiblis they are so meh compared to the other options out there.  Maserati should stick to the GT and the Quattroporte  and drop the rest of it lineup  and if they must have an suv  dont base it off the Ghibli base it off the Quattroporte 

@MEC-777  does this happen way up north

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB