Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

I think your Conti's are more cold tolerant than my Dunlop. If I took the Celica out right now I could pretty much do a FWD burn out with the thing, up the temp to 60F and that's impossible to do. In fact since I've gotten the alignment sorted out I've been unable to slide the car at all. Used to be I could coast into a hard 90 deg turn, power on throttle while making a sharp steer, understeer slide it, then jab the brakes and snap the car right in line to where I wanted it pointed. Cool but not very practical, I much prefer the current 'lethal speeds required for loss of traction'.

16 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I think your Conti's are more cold tolerant than my Dunlop. If I took the Celica out right now I could pretty much do a FWD burn out with the thing, up the temp to 60F and that's impossible to do. In fact since I've gotten the alignment sorted out I've been unable to slide the car at all. Used to be I could coast into a hard 90 deg turn, power on throttle while making a sharp steer, understeer slide it, then jab the brakes and snap the car right in line to where I wanted it pointed. Cool but not very practical, I much prefer the current 'lethal speeds required for loss of traction'.

From what I read, my contis are great for street and light autox, Track they fall apart. Which is perfect for my uses. 

I used to be able to swing the ass end of my car around with my old setup. Not my current one, at least on the street. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

35 minutes ago, Bitter said:

12 minutes ago, vetali said:

From what I read, my contis are great for street and light autox, Track they fall apart. Which is perfect for my uses. 

I used to be able to swing the ass end of my car around with my old setup. Not my current one, at least on the street. 

you guys are making me miss my geforce Comp2s :( 

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

14 minutes ago, vetali said:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+DW

I put a set of those on some old Vette C6 wheels for a guy's race car which is an all motor LS swapped 70 something Camaro. I with I could find the build thread for his car, used to be able to string a few words into google and it was a top hit but they changed up the internet pipes.

11 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

I had some geforce all seasons prior and they were abysmal, the Z2's actually ride more quietly and more smoothly WITH the solid poly bushings and coil overs than the BFG's ever did with the stock suspension. Terrible terrible tires! Honestly the Dunlops feel like premium tires, just a little bit of road noise from them but it's not a quiet car anyway.

Ok but they do this one weird noise and I just kind of love it. Over super smooth road surfaces like patches of crack sealer or really polished asphalt they make this sound like a string of octopus suckers being pulled off something in a cartoon. There's some tire voids that don't connect to any other voids and the sound is the air popping under pressure as the car and tire compresses it against the road which is too smooth to let it out fast enough. Sounds HILARIOUS in the car, but also apt for the grip levels these tires have. I'll probably source some old stock Z2 starspecs or get the new Z3's to replace these in a few more years if I can ever wear them down. I just am not driving it enough anymore because it gets so disgusting at work with all the dust and it's a black car...and I really don't want to get hit by some asshole and be screwed over by insurance paying way less than it should sell for. They'll give me like $2000 but it's worth closer to $3500-$4000 conservatively. I know, big baller, but I really adore the car and how it drives now as slow as it is.

34 minutes ago, FuzzyYellow said:

comp2's are great. had those on my corolla for a short while as autocross only tires because I was cheap lol

grip was fine, good tire to learn on. things were amazing in the rain tho. soared right through puddles

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I had some geforce all seasons prior and they were abysmal, the Z2's actually ride more quietly and more smoothly WITH the solid poly bushings and coil overs than the BFG's ever did with the stock suspension. Terrible terrible tires! Honestly the Dunlops feel like premium tires, just a little bit of road noise from them but it's not a quiet car anyway.

Ok but they do this one weird noise and I just kind of love it. Over super smooth road surfaces like patches of crack sealer or really polished asphalt they make this sound like a string of octopus suckers being pulled off something in a cartoon. There's some tire voids that don't connect to any other voids and the sound is the air popping under pressure as the car and tire compresses it against the road which is too smooth to let it out fast enough. Sounds HILARIOUS in the car, but also apt for the grip levels these tires have. I'll probably source some old stock Z2 starspecs or get the new Z3's to replace these in a few more years if I can ever wear them down. I just am not driving it enough anymore because it gets so disgusting at work with all the dust and it's a black car...and I really don't want to get hit by some asshole and be screwed over by insurance paying way less than it should sell for. They'll give me like $2000 but it's worth closer to $3500-$4000 conservatively. I know, big baller, but I really adore the car and how it drives now as slow as it is.

my dad had Direzza Z2's on his G35 for a while. I didn't care for them too much. they lacked in dry grip in comparison to every other summer tire I've driven on(i can name 4), they honestly didn't grip as much as the all seasons he previously had (some hankook ventus s1 noble 2's). They aren't bad tires, and they last a long time(I think this is what they were going for), I just didn't care for them.

I think they were better in wet than the all seasons though. that's kind of a thing with summer tires in general iirc.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

They're picky about alignment, they really like camber. For an otherwise stock car there's better tires than the Z2 especially if you never get them warmed up or keep them warmed up. Until I added more camber I could push them around and slide them and they felt like they were at their limits without a lot of lateral force. Then I re-aligned the car and WOW.

I don't recall if I posted this already or not, my memory is shot I think there's a bad DIMM up there.

That's a roughly 3 mile span of road in roughly 3 minutes so not too shabby on those tires under the right car with the right setup. When you hear the engine tone change at higher speeds that's 60 and the upshift after that happens at 80.

12 minutes ago, Bitter said:

They're picky about alignment, they really like camber. For an otherwise stock car there's better tires than the Z2 especially if you never get them warmed up or keep them warmed up. Until I added more camber I could push them around and slide them and they felt like they were at their limits without a lot of lateral force. Then I re-aligned the car and WOW.

I don't recall if I posted this already or not, my memory is shot I think there's a bad DIMM up there.

-snip-

That's a roughly 3 mile span of road in roughly 3 minutes so not too shabby on those tires under the right car with the right setup. When you hear the engine tone change at higher speeds that's 60 and the upshift after that happens at 80.

yeah alignments can make a diff for sure.. usually allow you to use more of the tire surface in turns compared to OEM alignment specs, which tend to just rollover the sidewalls on the limit :/  This is why I have seperate autocross tires, you just destroy the outside edge of the front tires unless you modify the car. (that and the RE-71R's last as long as possible lol) 

gosh I dream of having good roads like that here. Poor miata never sees anything fun around here.

I really want to go autocross again.. been a while (timestamped @ fastest run last April)

Spoiler

I dream of an autocross course not only that long but one which my Celica could run without being part of a club or a class or whatever, around here you've got to own a Miata or a Porsche or commit to racing competitively and those 'just here for fun' are looked down upon for messing up the points for the 'real racers'. The road course track days here are like $350+ for just a day of time which is a little too steep for a single day leisure activity for me right now.

Oh and that's literally the only road like that here, I drive 90 minutes to do that a few times a year with the Celica meet.

27 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I dream of an autocross course not only that long but one which my Celica could run without being part of a club or a class or whatever, around here you've got to own a Miata or a Porsche or commit to racing competitively and those 'just here for fun' are looked down upon for messing up the points for the 'real racers'. The road course track days here are like $350+ for just a day of time which is a little too steep for a single day leisure activity for me right now.

Oh and that's literally the only road like that here, I drive 90 minutes to do that a few times a year with the Celica meet.

Yeah, I feel you lol. I was actually almost competitive in an 01 corolla tho. Thing just needed RE-71’s and a manual and i probably would of won HS class here half the time. Here people take the grassroots side of it, nothing’s serious and we all have fun and enjoy seeing cars that aren’t meant for it doing it. We even had a guy in a Nissan Versa swap in a MR20DE and put huge R-comps  on it. I co-drove that thing once it was awesome lol

Track days are expensive. Not to mention beating literally as hard as you can on the car for a couple hours, destroying tires and brakes in the process too. Very costly hobby.

but it’s fun and awesome. And I want to do it too, but like you financial obligation is kinda in the way.... :( 

to to do it right need to tow car there on trailer, have car setup for it, all the safety gear etc etc. sooo expensive. Even SCCA track nights aren’t badly priced at around $150 a pop but still more than a $25 autocross fee that’s also fairly minimal wear on the car in comparison

I have a good road like 3 hours away from me. That’s all I got here tho. No footage of it unfortunately. :/ No canyon carving for me I’m afraid

i almost bought a Celica over a Miata. Also thought about an MR2 spider lol, the Miata has some trunk space and since you can put the top down I fit in it with a helmet so that’s what I went for lol

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

to to do it right need to tow car there on trailer, have car setup for it, all the safety gear etc etc. sooo expensive.

Trailer a car to autoX? Nah, just adjust the camber plates all the way out for the ride there, and all the way in once you get there. Boom done ? That's pretty good pricing though, $150 for a day isn't bad at all. Er... night, whatever the difference is. Though $25... That's the dream.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

7 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Trailer a car to autoX? Nah, just adjust the camber plates all the way out for the ride there, and all the way in once you get there. Boom done ? That's pretty good pricing though, $150 for a day isn't bad at all. Er... night, whatever the difference is. Though $25... That's the dream.

No not trailer for autoX, meant for trackdays. Since in theory the likelihood of breaking the car and towing it home is greatly increased...

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

No not trailer for autoX, meant for trackdays. Since in theory the likelihood of breaking the car and towing it home is greatly increased...

Ah gotcha. I would say you're more likely to break when pushing the car to it's limits, but definitely more likely to get plowed into driving down the highway (or any street). Yeah similar dilemma I'm having for building a drift car. Don't have room at my house for it so I'll have to get a space or unit at a facility, and I'm not sure if I want to insure it or not because more money per month. So I'll have to wait to use it until I get a trailer as well. Just what I wanted.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

33 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah, I feel you lol. I was actually almost competitive in an 01 corolla tho. Thing just needed RE-71’s and a manual and i probably would of won HS class here half the time. Here people take the grassroots side of it, nothing’s serious and we all have fun and enjoy seeing cars that aren’t meant for it doing it. We even had a guy in a Nissan Versa swap in a MR20DE and put huge R-comps  on it. I co-drove that thing once it was awesome lol

Track days are expensive. Not to mention beating literally as hard as you can on the car for a couple hours, destroying tires and brakes in the process too. Very costly hobby.

but it’s fun and awesome. And I want to do it too, but like you financial obligation is kinda in the way.... :( 

to to do it right need to tow car there on trailer, have car setup for it, all the safety gear etc etc. sooo expensive. Even SCCA track nights aren’t badly priced at around $150 a pop but still more than a $25 autocross fee that’s also fairly minimal wear on the car in comparison

I have a good road like 3 hours away from me. That’s all I got here tho. No footage of it unfortunately. :/ No canyon carving for me I’m afraid

i almost bought a Celica over a Miata. Also thought about an MR2 spider lol, the Miata has some trunk space and since you can put the top down I fit in it with a helmet so that’s what I went for lol

Man. Something about those celicas makes people almost get one, but end up getting something else instead. ?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

9 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

20180331_140201.jpg

I love the sidewall on my fronts

20170831_124430.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

5 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

I love the sidewall on my fronts

You have different front and rear tires?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 hours ago, Bitter said:

It's called FWD.

huh?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

You have different front and rear tires?

225s in the front that Fuzzy had recommended and then the 215s on the rear that came with the wheels. Still had good tread on them but the front definitely needed some more grip

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 hour ago, RevoltTrain said:

225s in the front that Fuzzy had recommended and then the 215s on the rear that came with the wheels. Still had good tread on them but the front definitely needed some more grip

that Saab power :D 

the tires couldnt handle it 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

12 hours ago, Bitter said:

It's called FWD.

Fun wheel drive

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

23 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Fun Fail wheel drive

Just now, ELSknutson said:

Do you think at  $46,000 that this car is worth the money?  this one has 33k miles and its a 2015

Sure, only needs $46,000 for maintenance though.