Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Just now, vinyldash303 said:

Increases the chance of the cop ticketing you when youre pulled over

fine. how bout a mount that hangs it and lets it swing down to perpendicular, but mounted on the inside of the windshield? instead of having an ugly front bumper plate.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, vinyldash303 said:

Mounts that are hinged arent legal either. 

19718102.jpg

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

29 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Increases the chance of the cop ticketing you when youre pulled over

No kidding, that was the first time I was actually pulled over by a cop.

Talk about being super confused.  I had no clue that law existed until then (none of the Calis informed me).  I thought I maybe went a bit over speed down the bridge, but I tend to be mindful about that since the cops around here love to park down at the bases of hills just to ticket people for speeding.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Did you get fined though?

Got off with a warning.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

5 hours ago, terrytek said:

Really I think a loophole is that you can have your front plate mounted inside, under the windshield. i've seen people do it before and it's still legal, and doesn't interrupt the look of the front.

The Federal legal requirements have always been unobstructed view of license plate. Most "mounting solutions" that place the plate anywhere other than the front of the vehicle obstruct that view from certain angles.

Plus, glare from the windshield can obstruct the view.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

@Ithanul That map listing plate requirements isn't 100% accurate. Not sure about other states, but in Idaho, only the rear plate is required on cars manufactured 30 years+ ago, provided you get the correct plate (Classic, Old Timer, Year of Manufacture, or Street Rod).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

You know theres a reason they're on the front bumper right?

most of the time people are probably not even gonna pay attention to the front plate. i feel like the rear plate is much more important tbh, front plates are kinda useless.

11 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

@RevoltTrain recognize this? xD

image.png.de94b3007cc1efbd748d488a050e90eb.png

Ayyyyyyyye, back in the NA-KA days

8 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Well, not sure which State that person is in, but says under the avatar driving around in Louisiana.  That State is like Alabama where front plates are not required(most of the South East States only require one).  Still, can't see the back plate so not sure which State that vehicle has plates from.

main-qimg-cd072ca372aee0afae22481a348353

One of the few redeeming things for Indiana

Really I think a loophole is that you can have your front plate mounted inside, under the windshield. i've seen people do it before and it's still legal, and doesn't interrupt the look of the front.

see above.

Or just get a retractable plate mount

20 minutes ago, terrytek said:

most of the time people are probably not even gonna pay attention to the front plate. i feel like the rear plate is much more important tbh, front plates are kinda useless.

Helps ID a hit and run...

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

7 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Helps ID a hit and run...

Numbering from the plate branded on the person isn't good enough?

9 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Numbering from the plate branded on the person isn't good enough?

More mean when someone rear ends someone else and you can read the imprint on the rear end

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

8 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Or when they leave the bumper behind

that too

Happy new year everyone!! (Official here as of 30 mins ago lol)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

soo matt was telling me ford is going to come out with another big V8? 7L I think he said? 

I find that surprising... unless it has something like HCCI/SPCCI it would likely be a step backwards in terms of where they've been heading lately.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

13 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

soo matt was telling me ford is going to come out with another big V8? 7L I think he said? 

I find that surprising... unless it has something like HCCI/SPCCI it would likely be a step backwards in terms of where they've been heading lately.

I heard that rumor, I doubt it. They've been downsizing for a reason.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Very doubtful unless its a diesel... then again the 6.7 is overkill and reliable.

So maybe, Ford likes to replace stuff thats good for stuff thats worse.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

6 minutes ago, vetali said:

Very doubtful unless its a diesel... then again the 6.7 is overkill and reliable.

So maybe, Ford likes to replace stuff thats good for stuff thats worse.

Naw it was a rumor for a 7L gas V8.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Naw it was a rumor for a 7L gas V8.

has to be to replace the v10... which I could see.....

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

seems like that's what they were/are going for.

im just surprised to see them not turbo a smaller V8 instead. (i.e. add a V8 ecoboost to their lineup)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, vetali said:

I dunno, they're intentionally keeping it around for a reason, along with the 6.2.

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

im just surprised to see them not turbo a smaller V8 instead.

Turbo V8 would be in theory less reliable than the larger V10 though, more stuff to break.

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

im just surprised to see them not turbo a smaller V8 instead. (i.e. add a V8 ecoboost to their lineup)

well most of its sales will be fleet. so they likely wana go for maximum reliability. only reason why the v10 still exists.

5 hours ago, vetali said:

well most of its sales will be fleet. so they likely wana go for maximum reliability. only reason why the v10 still exists.

I think a motor with fewer cylinders, but larger bore would be more practical for fleet operations, because that would more likely mean more low end torque, and less emissions from fewer cylinders, and thus fewer parts that could break. should work tbh.

4 hours ago, terrytek said:

I think a motor with fewer cylinders, but larger bore would be more practical for fleet operations, because that would more likely mean more low end torque, and less emissions from fewer cylinders, and thus fewer parts that could break. should work tbh.

Depends on what their load is.

Well, I just made a deal with someone to buy their 2004 Lexus LS430. It's a bit high in the mileage department but these things will go forever if properly maintained and this particular car was dealer maintained and is one owner. So I expect a lot of life but it's really just a temporary car, I think. I plan on buying an e39 540i 6spd (M5 is technically within reach of an initial purchase but I don't want to deal with that dual VANOS lol) at some point but I want to find the perfect one. I just needed a car now that didn't require me to search for the right one.

I won't be able to pick the car up until next week due to the owners schedule so I don't have pictures of the actual car but it looks like this.

2004_lexus_ls_430_std-pic-20515407257488

Anyway, it is a fine car indeed. It may not be as fun to drive as that 540i I want but it is pure luxury. I'd imagine it outperforms the 540i in that regard.

Oh, it has the factory navigation and it is so funny how out of date that thing is compared to something like Google Maps. If I was keeping it longer I would definitely put an Android tablet into the dash for a truly great experience.

You need a healthy mixture of torque and hp in large, heavy trucks.