Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

I assume one wheel burnouts?

You know, I kinda do the same thing. The only exception was the E39 M5. I just loved that car so much I couldn't skip the road test, and it did sound pretty good too.

It's less expensive to maintain that that ungodly S62 motor. Plus sounds better than a 530i.

iirc he works for Tabasco, so makes sense.

Sure you don't need a v8, but sometimes you can get cheap power and cool noises out of one.

You can do 2 wheel burnouts in a straight line. 

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

I assume one wheel burnouts?

You know, I kinda do the same thing. The only exception was the E39 M5. I just loved that car so much I couldn't skip the road test, and it did sound pretty good too.

It's less expensive to maintain that that ungodly S62 motor. Plus sounds better than a 530i.

iirc he works for Tabasco, so makes sense.

Sure you don't need a v8, but sometimes you can get cheap power and cool noises out of one.

2dkk0mq.jpg

Just heard about this little gem. Toyota Yaris GRMN. A factory tuned Yaris with different suspension, exhaust and interior, etc. Comes with a 1.8 liter supercharged engine with 200+ hp, and a 6-speed manual.

Sadly limited to 400 units. I want one.

DL9EwdqWkAAE2cf.jpg

20 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Just heard about this little gem. Toyota Yaris GRMN. A factory tuned Yaris with different suspension, exhaust and interior, etc. Comes with a 1.8 liter supercharged engine with 200+ hp, and a 6-speed manual.

400 only? o.O

Why Toyota? Bloody hell...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

16 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

400 only? o.O

Why Toyota? Bloody hell...

I would REALLY want it. If it was affordable (which it probably isn't). Comes with a Torsen-diff and everything.

15 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

4.2 would probably explode if you go even with mild boost I bet. Personally I'd rather swap the diff for a limited slip or otherwise because welding it is a bit too tacky for me.

Welding is the cheapest option, but one step up from that is where you can buy the diff gears already locked, probably for $100 and save the welding. I think its called a Spool and Mini Spool.

I've got a tire question and I'm too lazy to go to a car forum....so let's hope I can get a satisfactory answer here. 

Certain tires aren't supposed to be driven when it gets below 40ºF as the rubber isn't designed to cope with those kinds of temperatures. So for example you shouldn't use Pirelli P Zeros if it's frequently 15ºF outside, but shouldn't they heat up to above 40ºF relatively quickly (15 minutes or so), and thus be fine after that initial warm up period?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I've got a tire question and I'm too lazy to go to a car forum....so let's hope I can get a satisfactory answer here. 

Certain tires aren't supposed to be driven when it gets below 40ºF as the rubber isn't designed to cope with those kinds of temperatures. So for example you shouldn't use Pirelli P Zeros if it's frequently 15ºF outside, but shouldn't they heat up to above 40ºF relatively quickly (15 minutes or so), and thus be fine after that initial warm up period?

Heat cycles can increase tire wear.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, correct. However they will not maintain heat unless aggressively driven because the road you drive over acts as a heat sink constantly cooling the tires.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Heat cycles can increase tire wear.

1 hour ago, arielfall said:

Yes, correct. However they will not maintain heat unless aggressively driven because the road you drive over acts as a heat sink constantly cooling the tires.

tires heat up regardless of the road surface temperature... usually a pretty set amount over ambient (i've never actually measured how much hotter than ambient tires are from normal road use). 

BUT

But you wont get much grip from them at those temperatures due to said rubber not being designed for those temperatures to begin with. the tires work best when it's 80F+ outside where they can actually get up to a sufficient operating temp. 

and the tires may grip on a cold road surface fine.. so long as it's dry. it just wont be nearly as good as when warm. jason from EE tested this recently with RE-71R's. they still outperformed snow tire grip in mid-20's (F) temps. but of course as soon as they encounter ice or snow you are toast

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

5 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

DL9EwdqWkAAE2cf.jpg

Too bad they're probably not coming stateside either. 

5 hours ago, arielfall said:

You can do 2 wheel burnouts in a straight line. 

I thought you weren't able to, because it would only send power to the wheel with less resistance. Unless I confused that with an LSD. Somehow, I saw a video where they got an LS400, and they tried doing a burnout, and it only spun one wheel, since the LS400 has an open diff.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

52 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

tires heat up regardless of the road surface temperature... usually a pretty set amount over ambient (i've never actually measured how much hotter than ambient tires are from normal road use). 

BUT

But you wont get much grip from them at those temperatures due to said rubber not being designed for those temperatures to begin with. the tires work best when it's 80F+ outside where they can actually get up to a sufficient operating temp. 

and the tires may grip on a cold road surface fine.. so long as it's dry. it just wont be nearly as good as when warm. jason from EE tested this recently with RE-71R's. they still outperformed snow tire grip in mid-20's (F) temps. but of course as soon as they encounter ice or snow you are toast

Tire carcass may warm but you'll find the tread to be at what ever the road temperature is. Or extremely close to it.

I'd recommend all season tires in the winter till you actually have snow on the ground then I would recommend you do what I do and put on dedicated snow tires.

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Too bad they're probably not coming stateside either. 

I thought you weren't able to, because it would only send power to the wheel with less resistance. Unless I confused that with an LSD. Somehow, I saw a video where they got an LS400, and they tried doing a burnout, and it only spun one wheel, since the LS400 has an open diff.

Both wheels always drive forward. However one side is never able to get more traction than the slipping wheel.

So if it takes no effort to break traction at a single wheel very little engine torque is placed at the non slipping wheel.

If both tires have equal traction like in a straight line both with slip. IE my burn out picture

3 minutes ago, arielfall said:

Both wheels always drive forward. However one side is never able to get more traction than the slipping wheel.

So if it takes no effort to break traction at a single wheel very little engine torque is placed at the non slipping wheel.

If both tires have equal traction like in a straight line both with slip. IE my burn out picture

so is this why you can do a burnout on an open diff, but you can't hold a steady drift on one i presume?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

21 minutes ago, terrytek said:

so is this why you can do a burnout on an open diff, but you can't hold a steady drift on one i presume?

You can do a drift it's just very difficult. You have to get the inside wheel spinning and then use vehicle momentum to break the other wheel free.

Please drive responsibly, only attempt such stunts on a closed course under direct supervision by professionals.

We’re gonna our a giant plastic cover on the engine to make it look as big as possible to hide its tiny 4-cylinderness

yes... perfect! 

That said this car looks really easy to work on lol. So much space! 

Rental Audi A4 Quattro (dad, not mine) he’s getting his lower control arms replaced under warranty. All 4 of them. (2 each side — they are split into two pieces on his suspension design, much like his old G35)

This A4 is totally not worth $45k tho... maybe $30k is what I’d pay for it. Once you really look around you can see how basic it really is. Like a honda accord. I will say it is built a lot better though but that’s pretty typical German. Everything is good quality with a “solid” feel to it. Just a lot of electrics (which is what it seems automakers want you to think is expensive even tho electrics are cheap by nature)

Also look how far forward the engine is.... you can literally unbolt the transmission from the top lol

A938C736-9719-4617-8B3D-0CC63BC4BDA1.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

This A4 is totally not worth $45k tho... maybe $30k is what I’d pay for it.

I've always thought the new A4s looked so good, but waaaaay too expensive for the amount of car you get.

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

I've always thought the new A4s looked so good, but waaaaay too expensive for the amount of car you get.

it's a very solid car don't get me wrong. it's just not worth $20k more than a honda accord... maybe $5k-10k at best. 

that said... great buy used when they all get dumped when the leases end.

id rather an A6 though. you can already get a 2012 A6 quattro (just like dad's car) for <$20k... 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

that said... great buy used when they all get dumped when the leases end.

Y'all aren't doing it right if its not an S4 

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Since when did I ever do things the right way? :P

11 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

S4 is more expensive... sadly

even though its a mini A6 quattro with less comfortable suspension lol

Spoiler

My rental on the 15th will likely be a car with <100hp

lol this should be interesting.

especially because it will probably have a CVT and I HATE CVT's WITH A PASSION

Spoiler