Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, terrytek said:

Really, a Ridgeline? From a ladder chassis truck to a unibody fwd crossover based "truck"? Honestly why not something like a Tacoma?

And that LR sure as hell looks capable for anything. How is it in terms of comfort and stuff?

The Rover is set up for blasting down washboards, increased function in remote environments, and ease of maintenance in the field.  I've got three spring sets for it, two sets of tires, and a further three sets of shocks.  As for comfort, with the progressive springs I use around town, it's stiff, but controlled.  Actually quite smooth and it handles extremely well.

The suspension and steering really comes into it's own when you hit the rough stuff.  She smooths right out.

The rack is only on there in town, and only because it really does make a difference with the air conditioner's ability to cool the cabin with it's little weasel coughs.  Wouldn't be good to leave it up there off-pavement at speed.  I keep it relatively stock looking given the environments in which I used to take it more often.

If you're wondering how they are from the factory, it's fairly similar on the road.  They handle wonderfully, as the center of gravity is quite low, and if you get one with active cornering enhancement it'll carve up turns like you wouldn't believe.  The Discovery II is a highly under-rated vehicle.

As for the Ridgeline, the vehicle itself includes a clever ladder chassis, it's simply integrated into the unitized structure.  They're brick houses, I assure you.  My word have we beaten the snot out of some out here.  They're honey-badgers; just don't expect it to keep up with something like that Rover.  Unibody trucks have been used the world over for years in very harsh environments, actually.  I've driven my share on several continents in the bush.  Nothing wrong with them.  Local contractors are actually starting to buy them, and the nearby dealership simply can't keep them on the lot.

When I buy one, I'll have no choice but to order it and wait.  I wish they'd release some special version in that "Sonic Gray Pearl" I've seen on Civics.  I haven't asked yet, but I don't think Honda does custom paint orders.  If they do, I'm having one.  I love that color, with it's subtle flashes of green.  :)

In my personal opinion, the new Ridgeline is, bar none, the best pickup on the market for actual everyday use.  Unless you're hauling bulldozers and excavators, it'll do anything you like; even haul 30 sheets of plywood in the bed while towing two ZTR mowers.  That's plenty, in my mind.

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

Ridge line is honestly a really smart buy for most people (who like to pile things up in a truck but don’t necessarily need to haul a lot of weight around... ie just enough) 

big problem with the ridgeline I have is the high bed and the useless compartment in the bed. If you are actually using the truck for hauling it becomes wasted space. Its a tailgating truck essentially and the new generation took that mentality and ran with it.

plus I don't trust honda unibody seam welds to hold to any towing..... personal experience there. just get an avalanche if you want a crossover truck that can actually be used for truck things.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

12 hours ago, terrytek said:

I don't mind higher mileage cars,

I like to mention everything thats wrong with the car then state a low ball offer.

10 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Also I think 0-100 should be the new 0-60. 

Cars are just so fast nowadays. 0-60 is too short lol

I've a feeling Doug might find it a little expensive to do 0-100 MPH runs for every review. That Mirage would have takenforever, all the while being a big target for the local friendly law enforcement.

I do agree about 0-60 being too short however. Even a N/A 4-cylinder can get reasonable times with the right gearing ratio and modest weight. It's going to 100 MPH that gearing can't save you.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I thought the dougscore thing was just like, a meme. People are actually serious about it?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, vetali said:

I thought the dougscore thing was just like, a meme. People are actually serious about it?

I tend to end the videos right before that point usually. Would be amusing if the auto enthusiast community did take them seriously.

My eyes see the past…

On 12/31/2017 at 12:01 AM, terrytek said:

You have the practicality of the truck, but what trim was it? if it's a bse, maybe trade for something? i would suggest maybe old school manual 4runner? dead reliable, and they're still relatively comfortable, and cheap ish. And still practical, and very capable off road. If you get a 96-02 4runner, getting a loaded limited one with a manual is next to none.

Completely base. It's the XL trim, manual windows, no power door locks, no automatic lights, at least it has a radio. Cloth bench seat single cab with a 4.2L V6 and a really slow 4-speed auto with differential overdrive.

I was thinking more along the lines of a regular car, not really an SUV or truck. I'm driving it every day so creature comforts would be nice but by far the most important thing is the manual, I hate driving autos it's so boring.

On 12/30/2017 at 9:07 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

Turbos

I could slap on a turbo but I'm pretty sure that would cost a pretty penny, not sure how that 4.2 will handle boost. I was also thinking of welding the differential and making it and actual 2WD (since it has an open diff right now), and maybe fabricating my own tube front and rear bumpers (like the ones that give a really high attack angle).

On 12/31/2017 at 6:17 AM, JoaoPRSousa said:

You can definitely try and trade it for something that suits your needs and is a manual. Not sure what you can get tho.

Maybe a Miata? 3-series? I'm really liking the idea of a Miata but I'm not finding anyone that wants to trade one for my truck, most of the guys with Miatas have lots of cars and are trying to have less cars so....

On 12/31/2017 at 11:05 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Stop living paycheck to paycheck.... smh

Well the thing is that I haven't been working for a while as I went to college the whole semester. Now that I'm back to working (and will soon have a higher salary + commission job) I can afford this kind of stuff.

3 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I tend to end the videos right before that point usually. Would be amusing if the auto enthusiast community did take them seriously.

I actually end the vids right after he discusses all the quirks. I actually think that's the most interesting part of his vids tbh. Maybe once in a while i'll watch a road test.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Completely base. It's the XL trim, manual windows, no power door locks, no automatic lights, at least it has a radio. Cloth bench seat single cab with a 4.2L V6 and a really slow 4-speed auto with differential overdrive.

I was thinking more along the lines of a regular car, not really an SUV or truck. I'm driving it every day so creature comforts would be nice but by far the most important thing is the manual, I hate driving autos it's so boring.

I could slap on a turbo but I'm pretty sure that would cost a pretty penny, not sure how that 4.2 will handle boost. I was also thinking of welding the differential and making it and actual 2WD (since it has an open diff right now), and maybe fabricating my own tube front and rear bumpers (like the ones that give a really high attack angle).

uh maybe e39 540i? basically an m5, without the bigger engine (still v8), sleeeper looks, same manual 6 speed as m5, rwd, comfortable, though i think it's still open diff. but you can probably still have fun in one.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

I actually end the vids right after he discusses all the quirks. I actually think that's the most interesting part of his vids tbh. Maybe once in a while i'll watch a road test.

uh maybe e39 540i? basically an m5, without the bigger engine (still v8), sleeeper looks, same manual 6 speed as m5, rwd, comfortable, though i think it's still open diff. but you can probably still have fun in one.

I literally have an E39 540i I love the car.

The open diff is a bit of a bummer but you can get it sideways if you really go for it. Does good burnouts too. lol

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

I do agree about the road tests. Usually, I look forward to it if the car is either very absurdly powerful (like that Jeep Trackhawk), or very comically slow (like that Mitsubishi Mirage).

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, byalexandr said:

4.2 would probably explode if you go even with mild boost I bet. Personally I'd rather swap the diff for a limited slip or otherwise because welding it is a bit too tacky for me. :P

Hell no. That engine is very expensive to fix. The 530i with a 5 speed manual is a much better choice. Seems like he's a bit strapped for cash at the moment.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Was told they cancelled work today.

because of low water pressure? Wat. Who cancels work for that? Lol

guess they didn’t put anything over their pipes outside

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

8 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I've a feeling Doug might find it a little expensive to do 0-100 MPH runs for every review. That Mirage would have takenforever, all the while being a big target for the local friendly law enforcement.

I do agree about 0-60 being too short however. Even a N/A 4-cylinder can get reasonable times with the right gearing ratio and modest weight. It's going to 100 MPH that gearing can't save you.

he doesn't ever actually run the cars. he just talks numbers.

i feel he's more of the type to cater to normal people and not car enthusiasts themselves though. normal people think 0-60 is everything lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

19 hours ago, DOSjockey said:

The G20T just showed up a few months ago.  That thing is an absolute blast!  High miles and it didn't work, but I only paid to ship it so tossing a few more bucks at it wasn't offensive.  It's kind of hard to get me out of that thing now.  I just love driving it.  Tight manual transmission, and FWD with a wet-clutch LSD between the axles.  The thing just plain bites into corners like it's RWD, though.  It shouldn't be this good, but it is; even with 207,000 miles on the clock.  Hey, it was cheap.  If it pops tomorrow, it'll still be worth tossing in a replacement engine.

I'd like to get a G20 NA myself (aka Nissan Primera GT (P11))

They are a bit rare tho, but they are cheap as chips.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

10 hours ago, terrytek said:

Don't think I need a V8 to have fun xD

Honestly I like the 3-series since it's a lighter car, I just wish the ones for sale had less miles, really brings down their book value. My truck is worth nearly $4K, and if I'm going to trade it has to be something comparable in value. Then again all the 5-series owners think their car is hot shit and they overprice the hell out of it.

I saw this (86,000 original miles):

https://collegestation.craigslist.org/cto/d/ebmw-318is/6441079874.html

I'm not sure if I can talk him down on the price or perhaps trade my pickup for it, but the blue book value isn't even $1K which is surprising. The whole point of my dad giving me the truck is so I have a few thousand to my name to use as collateral for my Mazda's loan and insurance.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Was told they cancelled work today.

because of low water pressure? Wat. Who cancels work for that? Lol

guess they didn’t put anything over their pipes outside

It's illegal to run a business without running water (especially if it's a food service business).

9 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

4.2 would probably explode if you go even with mild boost I bet. Personally I'd rather swap the diff for a limited slip or otherwise because welding it is a bit too tacky for me. :P

Yeah I don't think I can do much to that engine. It already has 113K on the odo.

I found this, I'm not sure if my dad would be okay with it considering it is worth a lot less than my truck.

3 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Yeah I don't think I can do much to that engine. It already has 113K on the odo.

I found this, I'm not sure if my dad would be okay with it considering it is worth a lot less than my truck.

I'm sure you could run a light amount of boost and really liven it up, but it's not worth the cost I'd think.

Talk to him about it, you'll never know.

11 hours ago, arielfall said:

I literally have an E39 540i I love the car.

The open diff is a bit of a bummer but you can get it sideways if you really go for it. Does good burnouts too. lol

I assume one wheel burnouts?

11 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I do agree about the road tests. Usually, I look forward to it if the car is either very absurdly powerful (like that Jeep Trackhawk), or very comically slow (like that Mitsubishi Mirage).

You know, I kinda do the same thing. The only exception was the E39 M5. I just loved that car so much I couldn't skip the road test, and it did sound pretty good too.

9 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Hell no. That engine is very expensive to fix. The 530i with a 5 speed manual is a much better choice. Seems like he's a bit strapped for cash at the moment.

It's less expensive to maintain that that ungodly S62 motor. Plus sounds better than a 530i.

38 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

It's illegal to run a business without running water (especially if it's a food service business).

iirc he works for Tabasco, so makes sense.

40 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Don't think I need a V8 to have fun xD

Honestly I like the 3-series since it's a lighter car, I just wish the ones for sale had less miles, really brings down their book value. My truck is worth nearly $4K, and if I'm going to trade it has to be something comparable in value. Then again all the 5-series owners think their car is hot shit and they overprice the hell out of it.

I saw this (86,000 original miles):

I'm not sure if I can talk him down on the price or perhaps trade my pickup for it, but the blue book value isn't even $1K which is surprising. The whole point of my dad giving me the truck is so I have a few thousand to my name to use as collateral for my Mazda's loan and insurance.

Sure you don't need a v8, but sometimes you can get cheap power and cool noises out of one.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

235HP N/A B16B <3

Bored out to 2L, nevermind...

Edited by JoaoPRSousa

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I assume one wheel burnouts?

You know, I kinda do the same thing. The only exception was the E39 M5. I just loved that car so much I couldn't skip the road test, and it did sound pretty good too.

It's less expensive to maintain that that ungodly S62 motor. Plus sounds better than a 530i.

iirc he works for Tabasco, so makes sense.

Sure you don't need a v8, but sometimes you can get cheap power and cool noises out of one.

They are a personal favorite of mine, the one in our family has been going great for almost seventeen years now. A recent valve cover replacement was expensive, but well worth it to keep the car on the road. I don't know where you are living, but maintenance can get expensive if you don't do the labor yourself.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM