Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Every single time

meanwhile in the miata, the door simply won't close unless you close it hard lol

edit: well not hard necesarilly, but more force than normal, and you have to "follow-through" with it. especially when it's cold out and the rubber door seals are stiff.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

35 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

meanwhile in the miata, the door simply won't close unless you close it hard lol

edit: well not hard necesarilly, but more force than normal, and you have to "follow-through" with it. especially when it's cold out and the rubber door seals are stiff.

Always afraid that i'll end up with shattered glass all over me one day when closing the door during winter. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Teh batts are bout toast. Yay running my truck so I can go home after work!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

30 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

@Mister2010

Yus

the fuck? 3k for a civic? 

https://www.ss.com/msg/lv/transport/cars/honda/civic/giepe.html 

honda-civic-17759168.800.jpg

similar one for 1k :D 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

6 hours ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Well, I just made a deal with someone to buy their 2004 Lexus LS430. It's a bit high in the mileage department but these things will go forever if properly maintained and this particular car was dealer maintained and is one owner. So I expect a lot of life but it's really just a temporary car, I think. I plan on buying an e39 540i 6spd (M5 is technically within reach of an initial purchase but I don't want to deal with that dual VANOS lol) at some point but I want to find the perfect one. I just needed a car now that didn't require me to search for the right one.

I won't be able to pick the car up until next week due to the owners schedule so I don't have pictures of the actual car but it looks like this.

2004_lexus_ls_430_std-pic-20515407257488

Anyway, it is a fine car indeed. It may not be as fun to drive as that 540i I want but it is pure luxury. I'd imagine it outperforms the 540i in that regard.

Oh, it has the factory navigation and it is so funny how out of date that thing is compared to something like Google Maps. If I was keeping it longer I would definitely put an Android tablet into the dash for a truly great experience.

good taste i might say. i suggest hacking off those mufflers and let that v8 breathe. and on the m5 the dual vanos systems aren't even that much of a bitch, i heard.

6 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

You need a healthy mixture of torque and hp in large, heavy trucks.

I think a big bore v8 might be able to deliver on that promise. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Just now, JoaoPRSousa said:

Automatic 1.4. Geez

This one's cheaper.

if we drop LPG i can get this ... https://www.ss.com/msg/lv/transport/cars/honda/civic/aobig.html 1.5 manual for 500 

honda-civic-17685103.800.jpg

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, Mister2010 said:

if we drop LPG i can get this ... https://www.ss.com/msg/lv/transport/cars/honda/civic/aobig.html 1.5 manual for 500 

Thing is, with 500€, you can't get much here...

If you ignore the unpainted rear bumper, that one doesn't look that bad.

I, myself, would rather have an EK hatch. If I'm getting a car with a not so powerful engine, I might as well go for something light to keep that power to weight ratio as high as possible :P

But yeah, sedans are usually cheaper as well just because they are also more common.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

On 12/29/2017 at 1:41 AM, bcredeur97 said:

Might check out the k1speed indoor karting place in Houston Saturday.

not sure yet but maybe.

anyone ever been to one?

The one I've been to was previously a different indoor karting place, so I'm not sure if it fully qualifies as a "True" K1, but both times i went there under both names it was neat. 

Kinda would like to do this one

http://naskartracing.com/drive.html

On 12/30/2017 at 3:32 PM, techswede said:

Screw you. And your no front license plate goodness. 

Same. 

On 12/31/2017 at 5:46 PM, terrytek said:

Really I think a loophole is that you can have your front plate mounted inside, under the windshield. i've seen people do it before and it's still legal, and doesn't interrupt the look of the front.

see above.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:47 PM, RevoltTrain said:

Or just get a retractable plate mount

An alternatively half priced version is what I use on my ST...

http://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/

Spoiler

Snapchat-871877923.thumb.jpg.9cf528d7aac9dd8330b3abaaf73b02d8.jpg20171003_164144.thumb.jpg.898e9b2f3558b572b774f1023a7dce9f.jpg

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

18 minutes ago, terrytek said:

good taste i might say. i suggest hacking off those mufflers and let that v8 breathe. and on the m5 the dual vanos systems aren't even that much of a bitch, i heard.

I think a big bore v8 might be able to deliver on that promise. 

Thanks. If I was keeping the car long term, I probably would do something to the exhaust since the car has a hefty V8 approaching 300 HP (but not quite). But there is part of me that realizes this would be an awesome car to keep long term due to the low maintenance cost to performance and luxury ratio. I'll see what happens. I will probably sell it after I use it for 6 months to a year.

As for the M5, the dual VANOS is only one reason I'm shying away from an M5 at this point in my life. One of the biggest reasons is that I like to pay cash for my cars (I hate being in debt) so buying an M5 would pretty much wipe out my savings and I would have to settle for a higher mileage one that may even need a little work.

4 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Thanks. If I was keeping the car long term, I probably would do something to the exhaust since the car has a hefty V8 approaching 300 HP (but not quite). But there is part of me that realizes this would be an awesome car to keep long term due to the low maintenance cost to performance and luxury ratio. I'll see what happens. I will probably sell it after I use it for 6 months to a year.

As for the M5, the dual VANOS is only one reason I'm shying away from an M5 at this point in my life. One of the biggest reasons is that I like to pay cash for my cars (I hate being in debt) so buying an M5 would pretty much wipe out my savings and I would have to settle for a higher mileage one that may even need a little work.

For a bigger v8 than the last gen (I prefer the 98+ LS400s if you're curious), i'm surprised it still hasn't hit 300hp at all. the 1uz in its 2000 LS iteration made  the same amount of power. though it's got some healthy torque at low rpms, that's what matters, it feels faster. And why not just keep both?

I see where you come from, cash always sells cars. But really I don't mind higher mileage cars, as long as the PO can prove that it's been maintained well. But I mean if you plan to wait, then go ahead. But I wouldn't wait too long, those cars are shooting up in value, nice examples selling for over 30 grand easily.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

10 minutes ago, terrytek said:

For a bigger v8 than the last gen (I prefer the 98+ LS400s if you're curious), i'm surprised it still hasn't hit 300hp at all. the 1uz in its 2000 LS iteration made  the same amount of power. though it's got some healthy torque at low rpms, that's what matters, it feels faster. And why not just keep both?

I see where you come from, cash always sells cars. But really I don't mind higher mileage cars, as long as the PO can prove that it's been maintained well. But I mean if you plan to wait, then go ahead. But I wouldn't wait too long, those cars are shooting up in value, nice examples selling for over 30 grand easily.

Space is a bit of an issue which makes keeping both a bit problematic. It would technically be doable but not ideal. I already have a project car taking up space so having two cars would be a bit difficult. But depending on how things go in the future, I may just keep it. It is possible, just not that likely.

I really like the LS400 as well. It's a pretty interesting car and very important for Lexus/Toyota. That car rocked the luxury world and proved someone like Toyota could make a high end luxury car.

2 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Space is a bit of an issue which makes keeping both a bit problematic. It would technically be doable but not ideal. I already have a project car taking up space so having two cars would be a bit difficult. But depending on how things go in the future, I may just keep it. It is possible, just not that likely.

I really like the LS400 as well. It's a pretty interesting car and very important for Lexus/Toyota. That car rocked the luxury world and proved someone like Toyota could make a high end luxury car.

I like the fact that I can pick up a first gen LS400 for like pennies. I saw a running one for 250 bucks. And a facelifted 2nd gen is still cheap, around 2500 for one with about 200k miles. They're dirt cheap and that's what I like, being a semi broke student. Plus, cheap v8 power and luxury with nearly 300hp. And the reliability, can last damn near a million miles with good maintenance. The only downside is that it's automatic, but that's minor, besides, 5 speed in 98+ models, and you can stick it in 2 for slides.

You know Doug DeMuro's whole Dougscore deal?

How come the acceleration scores are so terrible? It's basically just scored between 3 and 7 seconds for 0-60 times.
Actually, no. It isn't basically a scale between 3-7 seconds. It LITERALLY is a scale between 3-7 seconds.

Anything getting 7 seconds or slower automatically gets a 1. And in what world is 7 seconds to 60 mph slow?

12 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

How come the acceleration scores are so terrible? It's basically just scored between 3 and 7 seconds for 0-60 times.
Actually, no. It isn't basically a scale between 3-7 seconds. It LITERALLY is a scale between 3-7 seconds.

Anything getting 7 seconds or slower automatically gets a 1. And in what world is 7 seconds to 60 mph slow?

I guess it's all down to the price range if you spend a shit ton of money you'd expect under 4-5 seconds, even if the car is heavy, not saying that a military Hummer has to do that but when your 17 plate X6 is getting laughed at by a 15-year-old Clio than that is a problem. 

34 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Also I think 0-100 should be the new 0-60. 

Cars are just so fast nowadays. 0-60 is too short lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I've got a problem...  LOL

The G20T just showed up a few months ago.  That thing is an absolute blast!  High miles and it didn't work, but I only paid to ship it so tossing a few more bucks at it wasn't offensive.  It's kind of hard to get me out of that thing now.  I just love driving it.  Tight manual transmission, and FWD with a wet-clutch LSD between the axles.  The thing just plain bites into corners like it's RWD, though.  It shouldn't be this good, but it is; even with 207,000 miles on the clock.  Hey, it was cheap.  If it pops tomorrow, it'll still be worth tossing in a replacement engine.

The Impala is undergoing extensive suspension modifications at the moment, to bring everything up to modern standards.  Yes, it's the same model featured in Supernatural.  Someone was eventually going to ask.  LOL  That's not why I bought it, though.  I saw it in the show, and thought I'd really like to own one.  The only reason I've (since that picture) been replicating the show car's appearance is because it'll crank up the price if I sell it at some point.

Almost thought about getting a custom plate that said "COMPNS8N" for the Jaaaaaaaaag (to quote Clarkson), given the long hood and flashiness.  LMAO  Nothing quite like a traditional, comfortable, leisurely fast grand touring convertible.  They're quite reliable, fun, and if you ever want one, the prices aren't too bad right now.  They're going up, though.

That Rover has been pretty much everywhere it wouldn't have to hop on a boat or plane to reach.  No little paragraph will describe that one.

Being from the Southeast US, I obviously keep a pickup truck.  Had two a while back, a 2000 Ranger (shouldn't have sold it) and I still have the '08 Dakota, but I can't stand the thing.  I've never liked it, but it was a tax purchase, I needed something right then, and it's was only about 8 grand brand spanking new.  Stupid move.  Should have sold that before the Ranger.

I've had some pretty insane vehicles, but I've grown to dislike owning anything that's too out of line.  It's tough to run them around towns, and I don't like to be the center of attention all the damned time.  You own a couple, and then you either get into the lifestyle or just can't stand the experience.  Hell, the Impala is bad enough, in that regard.  Blows my mind how much attention it gets, but when you roll all four of those windows down and hit the road on a brisk evening...  It's all worth it.

Right now, I've got my eye on the new Ridgeline to replace the Dakota.  I've been all over those things with a fine-toothed comb, and I'm satisfied that it will meet every requirement I have of a pickup these days, and they are NICE.  Quick little buggers, too.

In the end, nothing too expensive in the herd now, but they're all fun to drive and practical (minus fuel mileage); and fun is what matters.

Any car is special, so long as the owner enjoys it, and any car can be a blast to own if you just let yourself have fun.

jaguar_zps29d75603.jpg

TIRES_zpsea1795dd.jpg

WP_20160425_009_zps1kpsk8se.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

3 hours ago, DOSjockey said:

I've got a problem...  LOL

The G20T just showed up a few months ago.  That thing is an absolute blast!  High miles and it didn't work, but I only paid to ship it so tossing a few more bucks at it wasn't offensive.  It's kind of hard to get me out of that thing now.  I just love driving it.  Tight manual transmission, and FWD with a wet-clutch LSD between the axles.  The thing just plain bites into corners like it's RWD, though.  It shouldn't be this good, but it is; even with 207,000 miles on the clock.  Hey, it was cheap.  If it pops tomorrow, it'll still be worth tossing in a replacement engine.

The Impala is undergoing extensive suspension modifications at the moment, to bring everything up to modern standards.  Yes, it's the same model featured in Supernatural.  Someone was eventually going to ask.  LOL  That's not why I bought it, though.  I saw it in the show, and thought I'd really like to own one.  The only reason I've (since that picture) been replicating the show car's appearance is because it'll crank up the price if I sell it at some point.

Almost thought about getting a custom plate that said "COMPNS8N" for the Jaaaaaaaaag (to quote Clarkson), given the long hood and flashiness.  LMAO  Nothing quite like a traditional, comfortable, leisurely fast grand touring convertible.  They're quite reliable, fun, and if you ever want one, the prices aren't too bad right now.  They're going up, though.

That Rover has been pretty much everywhere it wouldn't have to hop on a boat or plane to reach.  No little paragraph will describe that one.

Being from the Southeast US, I obviously keep a pickup truck.  Had two a while back, a 2000 Ranger (shouldn't have sold it) and I still have the '08 Dakota, but I can't stand the thing.  I've never liked it, but it was a tax purchase, I needed something right then, and it's was only about 8 grand brand spanking new.  Stupid move.  Should have sold that before the Ranger.

I've had some pretty insane vehicles, but I've grown to dislike owning anything that's too out of line.  It's tough to run them around towns, and I don't like to be the center of attention all the damned time.  You own a couple, and then you either get into the lifestyle or just can't stand the experience.  Hell, the Impala is bad enough, in that regard.  Blows my mind how much attention it gets, but when you roll all four of those windows down and hit the road on a brisk evening...  It's all worth it.

Right now, I've got my eye on the new Ridgeline to replace the Dakota.  I've been all over those things with a fine-toothed comb, and I'm satisfied that it will meet every requirement I have of a pickup these days, and they are NICE.  Quick little buggers, too.

In the end, nothing too expensive in the herd now, but they're all fun to drive and practical (minus fuel mileage); and fun is what matters.

Any car is special, so long as the owner enjoys it, and any car can be a blast to own if you just let yourself have fun.

jaguar_zps29d75603.jpg

TIRES_zpsea1795dd.jpg

WP_20160425_009_zps1kpsk8se.jpg

IMG_3345.jpg

Really, a Ridgeline? From a ladder chassis truck to a unibody fwd crossover based "truck"? Honestly why not something like a Tacoma?

And that LR sure as hell looks capable for anything. How is it in terms of comfort and stuff?

43 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Really, a Ridgeline? From a ladder chassis truck to a unibody fwd crossover based "truck"? Honestly why not something like a Tacoma?

And that LR sure as hell looks capable for anything. How is it in terms of comfort and stuff?

Ridge line is honestly a really smart buy for most people (who like to pile things up in a truck but don’t necessarily need to haul a lot of weight around... ie just enough) 

Spoiler

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

Ridge line is honestly a really smart buy for most people (who like to pile things up in a truck but don’t necessarily need to haul a lot of weight around... ie just enough) 

I mean I guess. But in case you need to carry something heavy, it might not be able to handle it like a stronger pickup.

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yup. I dig it as well. Seems like a fun little truck

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"