Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

So? Who wants a luxury car with an auto ??

not me that's for sure. that would get my shit rocked.

11 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Yeah like one of my friends/coworkers lol

but I mean he’s not a crazy car guy sooooo that’s why those exist. For the non car people who just want to look like one lol

ha. posers.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

32 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Why? One of the biggest points of a luxury car is to do as little as possible 

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

47 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Technically, SMGs are autos too.

Strada - June 2, 2017

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

3 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Why? One of the biggest points of a luxury car is to do as little as possible 

I like my luxury, but I also like to be involved in the car operation meaning i like luxury but i also like the driving experience.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

kiRmygl.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

6 hours ago, terrytek said:

I like my luxury, but I also like to be involved in the car operation meaning i like luxury but i also like the driving experience.

Then dont buy a luxury car

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

13 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Then dont buy a luxury car

what a concept

13 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Porsche brought back the manual option for the GT3 didn't they?

The 911 is a smaller, lighter car, and in the case of the GT3 still naturally aspirated and track focused. The GT3 is a very different car to the Vantage.

Also in defence of modern sports and super cars going auto & DSG, on a tight twisty road or track being able to change gear with paddles behind the wheel makes them more fun. You can squeeze in gear changes between corners that you couldn't with a manual, keeping the engine in it's power band. They are very different to the slushboxes of old where you just put it in D and forgot about it, though they will work like that if you want.

It's not a question of which transmission is better, it a question of which one suits which car.    

11 hours ago, terrytek said:

This ^^^^^ just because you want some luxury dosen't mean you should put up with a poor driving experience. This is why I still have my e39 M5.

Pete

Luxury cars arent built with a crisp and sharp driving experience in mind, they are built to effortlessly glide from A to B where the automatic transmission really shines.

Sportscars are designed to give the driver a crisp sporty driving experience, this a manual is in its place.

1 hour ago, 711jrp said:

This ^^^^^ just because you want some luxury dosen't mean you should put up with a poor driving experience. This is why I still have my e39 M5.

That said sometimes you just want to relax in a giant boat and not do anything.

this is why the perfect garage will always contain several cars, not just 1. Lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

7 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

Too much camber m8

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

On 12/1/2017 at 9:57 PM, iDeFecZx said:

Idk if I should get coilovers or springs

Mind says coilovers, wallet say springs

On 12/2/2017 at 2:05 AM, TVwazhere said:

Heart says save up for coilovers. Thats what I'm gonna do personally. 

On 12/2/2017 at 3:29 AM, RevoltTrain said:

I'd do coilovers over just Springs on stock struts. Quality lowering Springs and lowering struts price wise typically are knocking on the door of a set of bc coilovers 

Honestly, Unless you guys are going to the Track AND know how to properly set up your car don't bother with Coil Overs. Everyone goes for them cause you can slam the car nice and look and if that's what you want to go for it, but if you actually want to improve your ride get a matched pair of springs and shocks, They already perfectly dialed in for your car's weight and drops the hight to the perfect level to improve handling, Somehow todays car guys seem to think coil overs are the best, and they adjustable so that means I can set up car up so perfectly, NO you cannot, it takes some serious know how to get that shit dialed in, I drove for a factory team in an endurance series and thats were I learnt this stuff and even I wouldn't bother with coilies on my own car (If you care about performance)

9 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

The 911 is a smaller, lighter car, and in the case of the GT3 still naturally aspirated and track focused. The GT3 is a very different car to the Vantage.

Also in defence of modern sports and super cars going auto & DSG, on a tight twisty road or track being able to change gear with paddles behind the wheel makes them more fun. You can squeeze in gear changes between corners that you couldn't with a manual, keeping the engine in it's power band. They are very different to the slushboxes of old where you just put it in D and forgot about it, though they will work like that if you want.

It's not a question of which transmission is better, it a question of which one suits which car.    

Dude, you are so so right having driven the manual and STronic Audi R8 I can easily tell you the automatic was way nicer! granted I haven't been on the track with them I did have the RS5 on the track and the same thing the auto box was sublime. I find it's not just which one suits the car but that there is a level of power and once you go past it the manual actually becomes the issue.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

12 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Honestly, Unless you guys are going to the Track AND know how to properly set up your car don't bother with Coil Overs. Everyone goes for them cause you can slam the car nice and look and if that's what you want to go for it, but if you actually want to improve your ride get a matched pair of springs and shocks, They already perfectly dialed in for your car's weight and drops the hight to the perfect level to improve handling, Somehow todays car guys seem to think coil overs are the best, and they adjustable so that means I can set up car up so perfectly, NO you cannot, it takes some serious know how to get that shit dialed in, I drove for a factory team in an endurance series and thats were I learnt this stuff and even I wouldn't bother with coilies on my own car (If you care about performance)

A decent set of shocks and springs will set me back about £500 for my car whereas I can get a decent set of coilovers for £230 plus im not set on how low I want it yet so having the choice of setting up the height myself is a much better option

I really dont want to spend much more on the car and im not bothered about it being some perfect track monster since its not likely to see a track

2 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

A decent set of shocks and springs will set me back about £500 for my car whereas I can get a decent set of coilovers for £230 plus im not set on how low I want it yet so having the choice of setting up the height myself is a much better option

I really dont want to spend much more on the car and im not bothered about it being some perfect track monster since its not likely to see a track

if its not going on the track and you jsut want it low then you'll be fine with just changing springs. look at the Eibach kits I've had great experiences with them and it'll drop it enough to look awesome but still livable on speed bumps. plus prob way cheaper.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

56 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

if its not going on the track and you jsut want it low then you'll be fine with just changing springs. look at the Eibach kits I've had great experiences with them and it'll drop it enough to look awesome but still livable on speed bumps. plus prob way cheaper.

Lowest I can go with just springs is a 50mm drop and im pretty sure im looking for between 60-80mm drop

Want it to sit just with the arch just above the wheel a bit like thisIMG_20171110_190427_542.thumb.jpg.b76ba629b498e2aa419377924cfe443f.jpg

Stock height for reference

IMG_3231.thumb.JPG.1f370404a49850004ca0066822895b0b.JPG

4 minutes ago, iDeFecZx said:

Lowest I can go with just springs is a 50mm drop and im pretty sure im looking for between 60-80mm drop

Want it to sit just with the arch just above the wheel a bit like thisIMG_20171110_190427_542.thumb.jpg.b76ba629b498e2aa419377924cfe443f.jpg

Stock height for reference

IMG_3231.thumb.JPG.1f370404a49850004ca0066822895b0b.JPG

you going to have to roll your arches if you want an 80mm drop, not to mention how out your camber will have to be, Are you trying to Stance the car?

honestly, don't knock a 50mm drop. that's HUGE for suspension. also, those companies would have found it to be the lowest that makes the car livable, My first ST did the Eibach drop and it was only 30mm and when I parked next to a stock one it looked like a 4x4 compared.

up to you, just see putting coil overs on a non-track car just so it sits nice and low is like doing a custom loop on a Pentium G4560. but hey each to their own. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

4 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

you going to have to roll your arches if you want an 80mm drop, not to mention how out your camber will have to be, Are you trying to Stance the car?

honestly, don't knock a 50mm drop. that's HUGE for suspension. also, those companies would have found it to be the lowest that makes the car livable, My first ST did the Eibach drop and it was only 30mm and when I parked next to a stock one it looked like a 4x4 compared.

up to you, just see putting coil overs on a non-track car just so it sits nice and low is like doing a custom loop on a Pentium G4560. but hey each to their own. 

80mm drop on this isnt an unheard of thing. Mate of mine has one thats got atleast 110mm drop on coilovers and drives fine, albeit a bit slow over any kind of bump.

Cant remember exactly how low this one was but its about the height I want mine (Black/Silver one obvs)

20171111_101309.jpg

On 12/1/2017 at 6:59 AM, RevoltTrain said:

I want one quite badly as long as its a dual headlight hatch

Pffft, free > spending money 

Not pop ups though, would be cool if it had those too.

3 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

And just enough hard top

Not enough exposed carbon

On 12/2/2017 at 10:38 PM, chaozbandit said:

Strada - June 2, 2017

giphy.gif.84ac62378de51137ce13541bd571be08.gif

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

4 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Dude, you are so so right having driven the manual and STronic Audi R8 I can easily tell you the automatic was way nicer! granted I haven't been on the track with them I did have the RS5 on the track and the same thing the auto box was sublime. I find it's not just which one suits the car but that there is a level of power and once you go past it the manual actually becomes the issue.

My car is a year round car and we can get multiple feet of snow. The ability to change ride height as need is the only way any if my cars will ever be lowered 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB