Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

16 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

haha, exactly!

We don’t have it around here, but have you ever tried rallycross? 

I think it would be fun to do.

kinda on topic: my friend Matt got one of those razer side x side things. While I hate the CVT and the vague steering, and the throttle sensitivity(lol), that thing is pretty fun. You can absolutely fly across what is normally really bumpy terrain lol (he has the one with the awesome adjustable shocks and the realllllly far suspension travel.. like almost 2 feet iirc) 

Oh and @AlwaysFSX I know we talked about this but since I got to drive it, you’ll be happy to know I almost rolled it. Twice. It’s very top heavy with two people in it.. get mid corner and suddenly it’s on two wheels, scares the poo out of me lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

14 minutes ago, vinyldash303 said:

Do a time attack event in it

me and matt were talking about it the other day, apparently if you're willing to travel a bit you can do a full fledged rally in the thing for pretty cheap lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

49 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

kinda on topic: my friend Matt got one of those razer side x side things. While I hate the CVT and the vague steering, and the throttle sensitivity(lol), that thing is pretty fun. You can absolutely fly across what is normally really bumpy terrain lol (he has the one with the awesome adjustable shocks and the realllllly far suspension travel.. like almost 2 feet iirc) 

Oh and @AlwaysFSX I know we talked about this but since I got to drive it, you’ll be happy to know I almost rolled it. Twice. It’s very top heavy with two people in it.. get mid corner and suddenly it’s on two wheels, scares the poo out of me lol

SXS's have such a bad center of gravity, it's so great. :'D

31 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

me and matt were talking about it the other day, apparently if you're willing to travel a bit you can do a full fledged rally in the thing for pretty cheap lol

Do it!

3 hours ago, Not_Sean said:

Having started in karting a s a kid with RWD and zero suspension moving up to a rwd track car and later years almost always been in a fwd I agree man so so much fun, and also so many people knock it as jsut been slow but hell man its just a different kind of driving. 

Wish you guys in the states got the MK2 Focus ST/XR5 such a great example of FWD adn that 5pot really gives it the early torque to bite and pull it through the corners

these days fwd cars aren't even slower... plenty of them out there that are right there with the awd and rwd competition, and I'm not even talking about the crazy aero cars (aero kinda levels the playing field)

I love those 5 cylinder engines!  I was at the nurburgring when they were doing some factory testing and it sounds absolutely glorious!  not like the current fart special 2.3 4 banger...

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I haven't tried it, but we do have rallycross.  problem is I don't have a car to do that in...  although that may change, a buddy of mine just bought an impreza that needs a little fixing up, is a 2.5RS 4 door, then gen before the wrx came to the 'merica.  but it has a wrx engine in it.  unfortunetaly its mated to the stock tranmission, so i'm kinda scared to beat on it cause that transmission is basically glass.. and he might end up just selling it before doing anything actually fun with it

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

11 hours ago, warmmilk said:

I mean its cool and all, but mine would be a lot closer to the speed academy civic than Boersma's car... and it'd prolly be an integra... prolly keeping the B series and going turbo (but small, nothing like Boersma) :D 

thats if I had a second income... which I don't have... :(

:ph34r:

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@warmmilk @MEC-777

Lots of new liveries this year, including for the Ford GTs which have swapped their solid red and blue for liquid red and blue from the production cars.

JD173860.jpg

A34Q1631.jpg

http://sportscar365.com/features/photography/imsa-testing-kicks-off-in-daytona/#

JD173727.jpgA34Q1608.jpg

A34Q1403.jpg

JD173796.jpg

A34Q1635.jpg

A34Q1393.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

15 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk @MEC-777

Lots of new liveries this year, including for the Ford GTs which have swapped their solid red and blue for liquid red and blue from the production cars.

http://sportscar365.com/features/photography/imsa-testing-kicks-off-in-daytona/#

Alright that Ford livery is really good. Loving the color combo. 

Its not Gulf oil. But its damn good

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

9 minutes ago, techswede said:

It's different from last year for sure. Only looks good in good lighting though.

Mobil1 SportsCar Grand Prix Weekend 2017Mobil1 SportsCar Grand Prix Weekend 2017

Folding@Home | BOINC

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Want

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, Castdeath97 said:

If i could afford it i would get one as soon as possible..

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

15 minutes ago, techswede said:

If i could afford it i would get one as soon as possible..

ditto. + if they even made it here..

looks great! it's only 100 lbs more than my miata too..

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

1.8L producing 249hp and 236ft-lbs at 2000rpm. Man I love turbos. :D You pretty much always have use-able power on-tap with that kind of powerband. So nice. And now I'm really missing my Golf... :( 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

5 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

:ph34r:

Haha, I'll get right on that crazy K drag engine build...

3 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk @MEC-777

JD173860.jpg

A34Q1631.jpg

JD173727.jpgA34Q1608.jpg

A34Q1403.jpg

JD173796.jpg

A34Q1635.jpg

A34Q1393.jpg

I don't follow the series much, but I heard the Ford GT's are severely neutered this yeah by regulations, and that pretty much put them at the back of their class, is that true? 

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

man i wanna find this guy's house and just demand he kills this fucking bill https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/california-bill-to-banish-gasoline-cars-by-2040-is-in-the-works it sounds like you won't be able to register already owned ICE cars under this bill. I need to start a petition to overrule this stupid bill.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

27 minutes ago, warmmilk said:

Haha, I'll get right on that crazy K drag engine build...

I don't follow the series much, but I heard the Ford GT's are severely neutered this yeah by regulations, and that pretty much put them at the back of their class, is that true? 

I wouldn't say they underperformed last year. IMSA has a rolling BOP that changes from race to race, and the GTs were always strong except for when their strategy let them down or mechanical.  Haven't heard much in terms of regulation changes this year as they are currently in winter testing; IMSA's 2018 BOP will be set after the January Daytona test ahead of the Rolex 24 at the end of the month.

TL:DR IMSA monitors boost pressure (intake restrictors) and weight ballast heavily race-by-race; any on-track performance is also balanced out by pit-stop changes via fuel-flow for refueling.

Folding@Home | BOINC

11 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

I wouldn't say they underperformed last year. IMSA has a rolling BOP that changes from race to race, and the GTs were always strong except for when their strategy let them down or mechanical.  Haven't heard much in terms of regulation changes this year as they are currently in winter testing; IMSA's 2018 BOP will be set after the January Daytona test ahead of the Rolex 24 at the end of the month.

TL:DR IMSA monitors boost pressure (intake restrictors) and weight ballast heavily race-by-race; any on-track performance is also balanced out by pit-stop changes via fuel-flow for refueling.

There's probably some strategy to that process. Sandbag just enough so as to not induce a high BOP penalty. And while in a race, try not to win by too high of a margin for the same reason. At least that's what I would assume. 

Never liked the BOP system. The teams that are slower simply need to make their cars faster. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

4 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

There's probably some strategy to that process. Sandbag just enough so as to not induce a high BOP penalty. And while in a race, try not to win by too high of a margin for the same reason. At least that's what I would assume. 

Never liked the BOP system. The teams that are slower simply need to make their cars faster. ;)

Unlike in the WEC, IMSA uses a full data logging suite from Bosch or similar. They log a full range of inputs including the ECU tune and diagnostics. Little chance to hide unless you have an actual mechanical problem.

Also worth mentioning this hardware cant be accessed or modified by teams and is mandated in all categories.

Folding@Home | BOINC

13 hours ago, warmmilk said:

these days fwd cars aren't even slower... plenty of them out there that are right there with the awd and rwd competition, and I'm not even talking about the crazy aero cars (aero kinda levels the playing field)

I love those 5 cylinder engines!  I was at the nurburgring when they were doing some factory testing and it sounds absolutely glorious!  not like the current fart special 2.3 4 banger...

I haven't tried it, but we do have rallycross.  problem is I don't have a car to do that in...  although that may change, a buddy of mine just bought an impreza that needs a little fixing up, is a 2.5RS 4 door, then gen before the wrx came to the 'merica.  but it has a wrx engine in it.  unfortunetaly its mated to the stock tranmission, so i'm kinda scared to beat on it cause that transmission is basically glass.. and he might end up just selling it before doing anything actually fun with it

Yeah man, now having owned a 5pot I see what all the love is about, they really are magical engines, sadly a bit heavy on petrol but I'll take it for those noises!

What year Impreza is that? so wrx box its the 5 speed? I wouldn't worry about it to much as you'll prob start in a class thats NA only, those boxes will easily handle the stock 2.5Rs even if you thrashing it, it only bombs out when people start messing around with the turbo, the torque just hammers it.

6 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk @MEC-777

Lots of new liveries this year, including for the Ford GTs which have swapped their solid red and blue for liquid red and blue from the production cars.http://sportscar365.com/features/photography/imsa-testing-kicks-off-in-daytona/#

oooooo man seeing all of those makes me think of the Spa and Nurburg 24 hour races!

Really would love to do one of those SIM 24 races, need to get my racing sim built again

6 hours ago, techswede said:

oh man how much I would love to see the Gulf livery back on the track on a ford.

2 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

1.8L producing 249hp and 236ft-lbs at 2000rpm. Man I love turbos. :D You pretty much always have use-able power on-tap with that kind of powerband.

Now imagine a turbo 5pot, my car makes peak torque at like 1500-1700rpm and dies off at 3000, exactly when the turbo is spooling hard so never have a power dip between the two.

Focus_ST225_Superchips_Vs_Maxd_Stage_2_R_Vs_Pumaspeed_U412_R.jpg

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Been off this thread for a while, but wanted to know your opinions on one thing. Z3M S54, yay or nay? Costs as much as a nice E46 M3 as well, so why not have something rarer that is more likely to appreciate in value?

15 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Yeah man, now having owned a 5pot I see what all the love is about, they really are magical engines, sadly a bit heavy on petrol but I'll take it for those noises!

What year Impreza is that? so wrx box its the 5 speed? I wouldn't worry about it to much as you'll prob start in a class thats NA only, those boxes will easily handle the stock 2.5Rs even if you thrashing it, it only bombs out when people start messing around with the turbo, the torque just hammers it.

its one of these (pic below), not sure on the exact year.  In the US they never came with a turbo.  the one he bought has an engine from the next gen WRX including the turbo setup, upgraded intercooler, exhaust, tune... supporting mods basically.  but the transmission is still the stock trans that came in the car originally... so it does have a bunch of extra torque hammering it...  I keep telling him to do an STi trans swap and then beat on it like a red headed step child, but thats $$$ and thats in short supply...  he bought the car for only 300 bucks, but like I said, it had some damage...  if he's set on selling it, I might have to try and talk him into selling it to me

medium_79554342-ri-2001-subaru-2-5-rs-4- 

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

Bentley_GT3_K-PAX_FINAL.jpg

http://sportscar365.com/world-challenge/k-pax-switches-to-bentley-for-2018/

Folding@Home | BOINC

12 minutes ago, chaozbandit said:

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS

@MEC-777 @warmmilk

Bentley_GT3_K-PAX_FINAL.jpg

http://sportscar365.com/world-challenge/k-pax-switches-to-bentley-for-2018/

*Drool* 

Do think at least one of them should have been British racing green :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

9 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

*Drool* 

Do think at least one of them should have been British racing green :P 

They're racing in PWC where Bentley's designated factory team competes. KPAX is a customer team so they can do whatever livery they want.

CTMP Victoria Day Speedfest 2017

Folding@Home | BOINC

2 hours ago, IAR117 said:

Been off this thread for a while, but wanted to know your opinions on one thing. Z3M S54, yay or nay? Costs as much as a nice E46 M3 as well, so why not have something rarer that is more likely to appreciate in value?

They are overvalued and handle worse than a Z4M soooooooo... 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM