Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

But the new Fiesta ST is gonna have a turbo with a 1.5L 3 cylinder attached :P

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-boasts-15-liter-turbo-three-cylinder-engine-115688.html

Ha I knew I heard about a 1.5 I3 for the FiST

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

6 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

But the new Fiesta ST is gonna have a turbo with a 1.5L 3 cylinder attached :P

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018-ford-fiesta-st-boasts-15-liter-turbo-three-cylinder-engine-115688.html

I would totally rock a 1.5L turbo 3 cyl in my miata.

that would be a really good swap actually. so light! and 200hp!

+ think of all the engine bay room <3

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

big turbo 1.5 ecoboost mx5 swap? xD 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

big turbo 1.5 ecoboost mx5 swap? xD 

everyone forgets that the miata's 4cylinder is actually realllly heavy due to it being a cast iron block.

so that's why K24 and Honda V6 swaps barely change the weight of the car even though the engines are much bigger, they are aluminum.

but something like that 1.5L ecoboost would most likely save weight (which is huge in an already ~2200-2300 lb car) AND be more powerful. win/win.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

everyone forgets that the miata's 4cylinder is actually realllly heavy due to it being a cast iron block.

so that's why K24 and Honda V6 swaps barely change the weight of the car even though the engines are much bigger, they are aluminum.

but something like that 1.5L ecoboost would most likely save weight (which is huge in an already ~2200-2300 lb car) AND be more powerful. win/win.

and it wouldnt be just a turbo mx5 xD 

5 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

and it wouldnt be just a turbo mx5 xD 

exactly! thanks for making me realllly want to do this now LOL

ehh maybe one day.. we'll see. the biggest issue im seeing is electrical stuff and transmission adapter plate along with how that affects firewall clearance

oh, and the subframe. would probably need a custom one.. :/

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

ehh maybe one day.. we'll see. the biggest issue im seeing is electrical stuff and transmission adapter plate along with how that affects firewall clearance

probably could adapt the MX5 transmission ... 

might just need to fabricate custom engine mounts ... but oh well ... you never know 

15 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

An ecoboost mx5 would also have to have a custom trans made since its a fwd engine

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

1 hour ago, iDeFecZx said:

An ecoboost mx5 would also have to have a custom trans made since its a fwd engine

Nah. Just would need an adapter plate. 

And a clutch with the same splines as the trans. But that’s usually not too hard I don’t think...

Spoiler

4 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

This just in, my ST hit 15k, that means the 2.0 engine is bulletproof

kappa.png

hahaha my ST is on 87 000 mikes, But it is a Volvo motor so we already know its indestructible :P 

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

you throw the FiST 1.6 ecoboost in there and you'll have one hell of a rocketship! 

Specially when you start talking hybrid turbos and suck, guys breaking 300hp out of those motors like its nothing. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

update on my ST225 

For my MOT/WOF, I had to replace the rear hub as the bearing was making a tiny grinding sound, Damn annoying as it cut into my Mod money:P

was an easy job to do and only cut my self-open twice, tissues and Electrical tape to keep the blood off the tools. 

IMG_05.thumb.jpg.f26f2d11cf0d84bd6b48e04289fbb2be.jpg

Finally got around to sorting out my new head unit and centre console. so I did a vinyl wrap on the parts to a Brushed metal black and will be redoing it with a heat gun but for now super happy with how it turned out, also got the OBD II link working again. Just need to wire in the new Loom to get my Steering controls working and then wrapping the radio surround and fitting it so it's nice and flush.  

IMG_0567.JPG.c3631e490ee5986c078d6e2b5806f8fd.JPG

So ordered 1 step colder Spark plugs and new Oil is on its way, Going for the same spec oil as the RS since its an identical Motor and with the tune coming soon it'll be pushing RS power. Other parts on the way is a new Gearbox mount, a track spec one to reduce wheel hop and smoother shifting, this combo with a short shifter both coming from Aus. 

That's pretty much going to be it for this year, But in March, I've entered into Superlap NZ a time trial series that's going to see me up against some serious cars. Can't wait!!

IMG_0433.thumb.JPG.ef79f508db889f99ecc3b8ccc1733447.JPG

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

14 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

you throw the FiST 1.6 ecoboost in there and you'll have one hell of a rocketship! 

Specially when you start talking hybrid turbos and suck, guys breaking 300hp out of those motors like its nothing. 

the talk was about the new upcoming FiST with a 1.5 I3 but even the 1.6 would be great xD 

29 minutes ago, Mister2010 said:

the talk was about the new upcoming FiST with a 1.5 I3 but even the 1.6 would be great xD 

I'd stick with the 1.6 as its already proven to be a monster the tunes very well. You never know with ford if you getting a gem of a new engine or a bitch

Redstone:

Obsidian:

37 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

this combo with a short shifter both coming from Aus. 

Something else I've been highly considering, as the ST's stock shift is jsut so far (relatively. Been thinking about either Steeda's shift kit or Boomba's, since they offer shorter throws (and I think boomba's offers a shorter overall height which is what I'm really after)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Something else I've been highly considering, as the ST's stock shift is jsut so far (relatively. Been thinking about either Steeda's shift kit or Boomba's, since they offer shorter throws (and I think boomba's offers a shorter overall height which is what I'm really after)

hhmmm I don't know those companies but short shifters are pretty simple things, so you should be good. I'm getting mine from OEMDenied they also make one for your car but think shipping would be pointless as you'll prob find the exact same one. 

For anything Ford (euro's) I always use Pumaspeed as a great reference point.

The one i'm getting is two point adjustable so will try both as I've never enjoyed a super short throw and for daily it gets annoying but will see once its fitted. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

Just now, Not_Sean said:

hhmmm I don't know those companies but short shifters are pretty simple things, so you should be good. I'm getting mine from OEMDenied they also make one for your car but think shipping would be pointless as you'll prob find the exact same one. 

For anything Ford (euro's) I always use Pumaspeed as a great reference point.

The one i'm getting is two point adjustable so will try both as I've never enjoyed a super short throw and for daily it gets annoying but will see once its fitted. 

Steeda specifically does a lot of mustang parts here in 'Murica, while boomba is an all around racing parts store.

Steeda Short Shifter vs Boomba Short Shifter

The Steeda has 3 different adjustments and the boomba has 5.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU AMD R7 7800X3D    Motherboard Asrock B650E Taichi Lite    RAM Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB 5200mhz    GPU ASUS RTX4080 STRIX 

Case Fractal Torrent   Storage Samsung 980Pro 2TB, Crucial P3 Plus 4TB x2,     PSU Corsair RM1000x    Cooling Deepcool AK620

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Steeda specifically does a lot of mustang parts here in 'Murica, while boomba is an all around racing parts store.

Steeda Short Shifter vs Boomba Short Shifter

The Steeda has 3 different adjustments and the boomba has 5.

Steeda it's on special and it's not exactly a complex part

Its $75 from OEM Denied 

http://focusonperformance.com.au/short-shift-kit-focus-st250/

Redstone:

Obsidian:

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Steeda it's on special and it's not exactly a complex part

Its $75 from OEM Denied 

http://focusonperformance.com.au/short-shift-kit-focus-st250/

That look like just the shifter plate, which I can get from either brand for about the same price. These kits also include the shifter arm

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That look like just the shifter plate, which I can get from either brand for about the same price. These kits also include the shifter arm

aaahhhhh didn't know it was two pieces, the ST225 one both get fitted right below the gear level, no need to go into the engine bay. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I3 noises are pretty yum as well :x

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Just now, Not_Sean said:

aaahhhhh didn't know it was two pieces, the ST225 one both get fitted right below the gear level, no need to go into the engine bay. 

For these kits, the Shifter plate goes under the air filter box.

Spoiler

image.png.672eb3b4c1cddc564d6022a58353d7a1.png

And shifter arm is installed by removing the old shifter from the cockpit via removing the boot

Spoiler

image.png.e6d78af354d352502a05014c0a44a6b8.png

Both also have bushings for the entire linkage assembly to further the smoothness, which I might get because it's only $40 and it seems easy enough to do while you're down there anyways

yum.

DQzk-N6W4AEVO2X.jpg

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 hour ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/bbrs-new-turbo-conversion-will-give-your-15-litre-nd-mx-5-210bhp/

The 1.5L gets a little boost.

Pun totally not intended 9_9 /s

£6000

HAHA

No.

Bruh

ND_roadside.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

@JoaoPRSousa do you think the 2.0L is better for a Miata? Or the 1.5? 

They only offer the 2.0L here in the US because muricans love torque too much. (Not that those cars sell well here anyway) 

but ive always wondered how the 1.5 is? I feel like the 2.0L is perfect because I’d want it to be faster than previous models... not just “as fast” with smaller engine.

but maybe the 1.5 is fine. Dunno. I think boost is the right way to go about it, but £6000 is waaaay too much “investment” for that lol

Spoiler