Apple fires iPhone X engineer after daughter’s hands-on video goes viral

AlTech

An iPhone X engineer invited his daughter to the Apple campus to see the iPhone X.

His daughter recorded a hands-on video of the iPhone X and Apple shortly afterwards requested that it be removed but it was too late since it had already gone viral.

As a result, the engineer was laid off.

Apple has reportedly dismissed an engineer after his daughter’s iPhone X hands-on video went viral on YouTube. Brooke Amelia Peterson published a vlog earlier this week, which included a trip to the Apple campus to visit her father and see an unreleased iPhone X. Peterson’s video was quickly picked up by sites like 9to5Mac, and it spread even further on YouTube.

Peterson now claims her father has been fired as a result of her video. In a tearful video, Peterson explains her father violated an Apple company rule by allowing her to film the unreleased handset at Apple’s campus. Apple reportedly requested that Peterson remove the video, but it was clearly too late as the content spread further and further.

The video itself may have seemed like an innocent hands-on, but it did include footage of an iPhone X with special employee-only QR codes. A notes app was also shown on the iPhone X in the video, which appeared to include codenames of unreleased Apple products. Filming on Apple’s campus is strictly prohibited, so filming an unreleased iPhone X is a definite rule violation.

Welp. Poor Engineer. Recording iPhone X content before it's released is just asking for trouble.

And of course, as an avid wannabe YouTuber, the daughter made a video about it:

The original viral video in question:

What a shame.You don't just screw around with People's livelihoods like that :(. That's not cool.

Although the engineer should have known better than to let his daughter go to the Apple HQ.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/28/16565110/apple-engineer-iphone-x-youtube-video

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Isn't letting somebody (who isn't an employee) see an unannounced product against their NDAs?

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Isn't letting somebody (who isn't an employee) see an unannounced product against their NDAs?

The only rule broken is that they recorded a video with unreleased information.

Her physically seeing it wasn't the issue apparently.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Sucks to lose your job, but I can't work out why he didn't tell her not to film.  That would be the first thing I would tell any offspring of mine, especially if they maintain their own vlog ffs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

What was she thinking clearly not the brightest mind in the family, and what was the Dad doing he knew that he is responsible for his daughters actions  

I don't like Apple but I have to agree with them here, this was the right thing to do.

but I can't work out why he didn't tell her not to film.

Not only him but what about everyone else around? Did they not think "Hey, she has a huge camera. Let's let her she can't film."

3 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

Given that the video has shown very little new and unannounced things I think firing him was an overreaction , a fine would have been sufficient.

True maybe a fine would have been sufficient but they way I think Apple is doing it they rather proceed to the extreme than give a fine so that potentially in the future should something similar come up they dont have differences in judgments

5 minutes ago, Rosantyste said:

I don't like Apple but I have to agree with them here, this was the right thing to do.

Not only him but what about everyone else around? Did they not think "Hey, she has a huge camera. Let's let her she can't film."

I agree with the 'What about everyone else", surely when they had to sign in at security it would have been mentioned about filming stuff. Feel sorry for the dad that such a simple mistake cost him his job.

I have a friend who's uncle works at Apple. Last month he was invited to go on campus and was not allowed to carry anything electronic on him from outside. They took his phone and watch (a normal watch, not even a smartwatch) and gave him an iPhone 7 to use while there. Someone didn't do their job correctly here but I stand my ground that Apple did the right thing.

"dad" was negligent in this case, 100% his fault. It is his responsibility to ensure any and all company rules are followed, and leaking info on unreleased products is pretty much up there. This will likely also make it more difficult for dad to get a decent job in future. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

One of those unfortunate little mistake = giant consequence things. Not many bosses enjoy firing an otherwise stellar employee, and likewise, working for Apple can essentially set a person for life. No winners here (unless you count the journalists).

Though, one does have to wonder if this was the whole story. In the case of an employee with a spotless record, a firing would be an extreme consequence unless significant damage occurred, or the violation was intentional.

The iPhone X release is very close, so it may well be that there was a false sense of safety in that one may be more inclined to believe they could get away with it. Having early press of an unreleased iPhone would also certainly gain views for a blog or editorial. So the motive exists for this to be an intentional act, in this case, a father helping his daughter with her blog.

And i realized I've been watching far too much Criminal Minds...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

That iPhones stretch all the way to the bottom looks SEXY AF! Galaxy S8 should have done that. It's the illusion of see-throughness with the bottom, left, right, and some of the top the exact same distance from the screen and the bezel. From the hands on review video.

It's pretty hard to feel sorry for the engineer here. It was a pretty silly thing to do with obvious consequences and the stupidity of his daughter was the icing on the cake.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

I'm not surprised. But don't think it was a necessary action. 

Her dad's career is gonna take a huge dunk after this. 

Which company is willing to take him?? At least not at the same area. 

He always gonna wear a hat that said: "I cant be trusted with company property." 

But hey, dumb teenagers trying to take off her "youtube" career right?? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

i bet he got the jumper cables out when they got home, but what a dumbass, he would have been well aware of the NDA, and just screwed up his entire career for a youtube video.
If you were to properly do it, you go off campus, cover all SNs or identifying marks, and do it with someone who isn't recognisable to that employee.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

2 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

Maybe his daughter should take some of that advice along with Apple. You don't screw around with people's livelihoods by disregarding NDAs and uploading what you like about a product, even though it may not be information Apple has decided to publish. It's nothing but reckless and endangering to their business.

There goes her future as a YouTuber. I can imagine it's hard to bounce back from looking like someone who cannot hold an NDA.

what's even worse, her dad would probably have signed some kind of nda/contract with Apple prior to his termination that says he can't get a job of competing companies/same job scope as the one he had at apple for an X amount of time. there goes all that working experiences all down the drain.

Now go and work on samsung and fuck up already fucked up iphones :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

56 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Samsung

As a trophy to torment Apple

Ahhhh. If she got the latest samsung phone in her hand I believe the leak video is not the only thing that's gonna blow up. 

123.jpg.c777f8be973b0c6e194ebe81eb4c39d3.jpg

And it is all apple's master plan: take out your internal mole using your enemy's hand. 

Great master plan tim, great master plan. 

123.jpg.f4ba34234fc3540ca1adb570c46e7b32.jpg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.