Apple fires iPhone X engineer after daughter’s hands-on video goes viral

AlTech
10 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

considering the video was released after the phone was announced and some of the press got to hands-on with the phone AND she didn't really show much... I don't really see the big deal here. Sure a promise to never film again and take down the video, I could understand. I think firing him was a little too far though...

then again... if you let one get away with a rule then you're kind of showing that your rules don't matter so perhaps this was justified. Really the only thing that bothers me is the phone was already announced though...

Does not matter if she posted a year after the iphone x came out. Work for Apple, then obey their rules. It's just that simple.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

I doubt it. Tech companies (especially Apple) take leaks very seriously and would risk their zero tolerance reputation if they hired him back.

Plus, what PR do they need? They're already sold out of the iPhone X like... everywhere? 

I thought I read that the iPhone 8 wasn't selling well (albeit, due to the imminent launch of the X).  Besides, what company would turn down a chance to hype up even more publicity on a product launch, no matter how well known it already is?

Also, for some reason I never got a notification that you quoted me (maybe you added me in an edit?).

2 hours ago, Blade of Grass said:

"Non-compete" agreements are legal in a lot jurisdictions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-compete_clause

Depending on where the engineer lived, such agreement may be invalidated. Further, there also seemed to have been a case where an individual from another state sought employment in California, and the new employer successfully sued (in California court) to invalidate the non compete agreement that was in place.

Even if the engineer was living in a state that enforces non-compete clauses, he could still seek employment in a State that will not do so.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 hours ago, porina said:

"dad" was negligent in this case, 100% his fault. It is his responsibility to ensure any and all company rules are followed, and leaking info on unreleased products is pretty much up there. This will likely also make it more difficult for dad to get a decent job in future. 

The guy worked for apple as an engineer. He is clearly capable in his field and shouldn't have much of an issue getting hired somewhere else. Maybe not somewhere as high profile as apple but still somewhere that pays 

55 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The guy worked for apple as an engineer. He is clearly capable in his field and shouldn't have much of an issue getting hired somewhere else. Maybe not somewhere as high profile as apple but still somewhere that pays 

Apple likely has good and not so good people working for them. Depends on the role, but if there is a shortage of people they have to go with what they can get. My day job is in a bit of a niche area and I've been approached multiple times by Apple. Of course that's no guarantee they would have taken me, but I didn't want to relocate to the US and declined before any discussion took place. I doubt I'll be a cultural fit.

Anyway, that guy's reputation will be taken down a notch. In the industry not leaking sensitive information is a major and serious part of it. If he made the mistake once, what other errors of judgement might there be in future? So I'm not saying he can't get another job, but they may be more limited in scope.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

considering the video was released after the phone was announced and some of the press got to hands-on with the phone AND she didn't really show much... I don't really see the big deal here. Sure a promise to never film again and take down the video, I could understand. I think firing him was a little too far though...

then again... if you let one get away with a rule then you're kind of showing that your rules don't matter so perhaps this was justified. Really the only thing that bothers me is the phone was already announced though...

Its not a matter of what she showed or when she showed, its a matter of she "did show it without proper authorization".

12 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

On the other hand, I don't like the approach that someone is either a perfect employee or is fired. There is a full spectrum of things you can do as punishment to an employee before firing him. 

I think Apple just has a rule that you agree to where if you break NDA you are gone. Doesn't matter what your record is. It's not like it's a hard rule to follow. The guy even talks in the original video and explains stuff about the phone. His daughter didn't do this without his knowledge. He actively participated.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Well, he got what he deserves. His daughter was his responsibility at the campus so he did shitty job in keeping his eye on her. Especially if he knows that she is social media attention w*ore. Yet if he didn't know, then he fails as a parent as well.

Thank you Ms Apple Engineer Daughter for the mad iPhone video. Sadly rules are rules and they must be enforced for it to be effective.

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

This doesn't help the iPhone = dumb teenaged girl image

Respect NDA, I don't understand how the daughter didn't know this.  Her being a wannabe YouTuber and all.

I feel pretty bad for her honestly, I can only imagine how she feels.

I don't like the man getting fired, but I understand the decision.  Let this be a lesson for everyone else, respect NDAs!

honestly, while it sucks to see someone loose their job after they probably did some good work, he kind of deserved it for being this stupid. like holy shit man know the rules of where you work and think before you let anyone, ANYONE, film unreleased stuff

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Respect NDA, I don't understand how the daughter didn't know this.  Her being a wannabe YouTuber and all.

I feel pretty bad for her honestly, I can only imagine how she feels.

I don't like the man getting fired, but I understand the decision.  Let this be a lesson for everyone else, respect NDAs!

Don't feel bad for her. She doesn't even feel bad for herself. She was more concern with her video going viral and blames the firing on her dad. Acted like it's no big deal, cause her dad is alright. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

I hope the daughters youtube career can support the family. xD

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

That video is such a Casey Neistat knockoff.  Jesus Chris girl get your own fucking style.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

On 10/30/2017 at 1:49 AM, Blade of Grass said:

"Non-competes" are not a thing in tech/are illegal in California

I was having a lot of trouble trying to work out if that type of contract was even legal, I know very little about NDA's and employment contracts in the US.  It does sound very over the top an unlikely to me.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 10/30/2017 at 2:51 AM, Blade of Grass said:

"Non-compete" agreements are legal in a lot jurisdictions (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-compete_clause

Interesting,  It looks like they exist, but generally have so many caveats/policies that they are practically worthless bar for a small percentage of cases.  We have similar law In Australian, but it only protects people who buy a whole business from the seller setting up another next door. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

That video is such a Casey Neistat knockoff.  Jesus Chris girl get your own fucking style.

I don't watch too much, so what part did she copy?

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

He absolutely deserved to be fired.

On 10/29/2017 at 10:59 AM, OmJo93 said:

It's not so black and white IMO.

You think some companies don't purposefully "leak" information about their products? It's an excellent way to cut back on marketing costs if you think about it. None of them will turn down free advertising. You leak the size of the screen and every tech news outlet will be talking about it for a week or so, hyping up the product.

Secondly, those OEMs helped create that social media obsessed generation because, again, it's like free advertising. They turned a generation (or more) into practically mindless consumers. Apple is a prime example of that. So they reap what they sow. 

Violating an NDA isn't okay just because it might be positive.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Great job girl.

Your dad and yourself are now unemployed for life, because no one is going to hire you.

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

56 minutes ago, snortingfrogs said:

Great job girl.

Your dad and yourself are now unemployed for life, because no one is going to hire you.

If he's even half competent he'll get a job. 

Although, all of these comments are making me wonder about something.....Anyone could accidentally leak information, but someone who already has (and has experienced the severe consequences of doing so) will probably be more cautious about it in the future and thus actually less likely that the average engineer who hasn't.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Losing their job over a stupid video of an even more stupid phone.

Who needs workers rights when you guys are so willing to just give them away

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

10 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Who needs workers rights when you guys are so willing to just give them away

Yeah, how dare a company be allowed to fire someone for breaking NDA.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.