Intel is planning to release a 2 core i3 for x299, i3-7360X

The Benjamins
7 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

While I don't like Intel's specific implementation here, it does remind me of something I really would like to see.

I'd love to see just ONE socket be compatible with ALL CPUs.  I want to be able to start with, say, the equivalent of a Kaby Lake Pentium (or Celeron except it only has 2 threads), then upgrade to the equivalent of a 7980XE (but much cheaper preferably), Xeon Platinum, Threadripper, Epyc, etc.  (Intel and AMD used to be inter-socket-compatible with Socket 5, I think it was.)

I also want to be able to upgrade to multiple generations.  I don't like the idea of going through the work of disconnecting everything from the motherboard to replace it, just to replace a CPU. :( If I could go through 2 or more SeaSonic Prime Platinum PSUs (each dying of old age) BEFORE I have to replace the motherboard due to incompatibility with upgrades.

We've had inter-compatibility with PCI Express slots since, when, 2003?  I'd like CPU sockets to be compatible at least that long, and I also wish DIMM slots would be compatible between generations.  Other things, like SATA/SAS, USB, M.2, LAN, WiFi, etc, I'd think could be upgraded by PCIe add-in cards.  (The PCIe slots aren't JUST for video cards, ya know :P )

Another thing - I think, instead of PCI-E lane and # DIMM support being based on the CPU (like KBL-X only supporting dual channel & 16 lanes & SL-X_i9 supporting quad channel & 44(?) lanes), it should be based on the motherboard form factor.  Some examples:

• Mini ITX: 20 PCIe lanes (1x PCIe x16 + 1x M.2), 2 RAM slots (dual-channel, 1 DIMM, or single-channel, 2 DIMM), or maybe 4 slots? (I think I heard of a mini ITX board with 4 SO-DIMM slots)
  • Micro ATX: 68 PCIe lanes (4x PCIe x16 + 1x M.2, or could redistribute), 8 RAM slots quad-channel RAM (1 DIMM/c) or dual-channel (2 DIMM/c, depending on user preference)
  • Standard ATX: 120 PCIe lanes (7x PCIe x16 + 2x M.2, or could redistribute), 8 RAM slots (4c/2d or 2c/4d depending on user preference)
  • EATX / SSI EEB: 2 CPU sockets 128 PCIe lanes (7x PCIe x16 + 4x M.2), 16 RAM slots (distributable based on user preference), 2 CPU sockets
  • as-yet-unnamed standard partly compatible with ATX (can put ATX board in case with this standard but not vice versa): 4 (or 8) CPU sockets, 12 or 16 DIMMs per socket, probably 16 or so PCIe x16 slots (or however many the Supermicro 7089P-TR4T supports) plus that many M.2 ports :P

Okay that last one might be niche cases, but it'd be at least nice to have a standard for quad- and octa-socket boards, and be able to use off-the-shelf cases designed for them :)

agreed

i'd like to see something like h420 z470 and x499 all same socket with compatibility of their cpu line up from single all way up xx cores

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

agreed

i'd like to see something like h420 z470 and x499 all same socket with compatibility of their cpu line up from single all way up xx cores

Yes, this, and a very important part for me is multiple-generation compatibility, and multiple CPU vendor compatibility (like Socket 5 had).  We should have been able to upgrade P4 > Q6600 > i7-2600K > Ryzen 7 1700X > 2022-era Epyc without swapping out the motherboard.

Ok. Who let the untrained monkey's out of their cages.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It's just a big company doing what big companies do, they sell whatever they have, even if it doesn't suit any one particular use.

If they have a bucket ton of left over silicon with only two working cores but each core is good, then why not call it an i3 and offload it to the poor suckers who can't afford an i7.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, Steven H said:

Intel now is at a complete different level of ret@rd

Expanding brain.jpg

Spoiler

c9f3Intel-Inside.thumb.jpg.b1198c901c878cc63dd1a028163a6bf9.jpg

3 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Hey hey hey... don't lump retards in with Intel, the retards deserve better.

It's an offense to retards by comparing intel to them LMAO

Jokes aside, does anyone know if there's actually any reason at all for intel to do this? It seems so unbelievably stupid, and for a large, successful company who has dominated the market for 10 years to do something so stupid, surely they know something we don't?

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

does it have a soldered die?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Jokes aside, does anyone know if there's actually any reason at all for intel to do this? It seems so unbelievably stupid, and for a large, successful company who has dominated the market for 10 years to do something so stupid, surely they know something we don't?

The only possible reason I can think of is if you wanted to go enthusiast, but didn't quite have the whole budget and needed a PC asap, you could get this then swap it out for an 8+ core later, but that seems foolish to me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Next step Intel will sell RGB lidded CPU's just because they can!

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The only possible reason I can think of is if you wanted to go enthusiast, but didn't quite have the whole budget and needed a PC asap, you could get this then swap it out for an 8+ core later, but that seems foolish to me.

Yeah... and at this point, I don't buy the diagnostic excuse anymore. Now, if you need to diagnose CPU failure, sure, it will do that, but these "consumer-grade" X299 CPU's will be unable to diagnose IMC related issues since half the channels and DIMM slots are outright disabled, and any PCIe related issues with the CPU or board are impossible to diagnose as well because half the PCIe-wired slots on the board are disabled with these CPU's. From a purely diagnostic standpoint, they were better off allowing Xeon's to work on the platform like they did on X99. You could get quad core Xeon's on X99 that were still quad channel and still had access to all of the PCIe wired components on the board, for under $100. Now, you get X299 CPU's that have none of the X299 features, for nothing more than a stop-gap.

As mean as it is to say this, X299 is not for the budget-oriented consumer. If you cannot afford to outright buy into X299 and get the CPU you want at the same time you buy the rest of the platform, it's probably not the platform for you. I understand some people are waiting on unreleased CPU's (like the 7980XE) but anyone that is willing to dump $2000 into a CPU, can probably afford the $400 to invest in a 6 core backup that can at least validate that all of his DIMM slots, channels, and PCIe components are working. To people with that kind of money, it would make no sense to cheap out and potentially deal with RMA'ing a board that you had for months, because you were unable to properly test it in advance. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

9 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Yeah... and at this point, I don't buy the diagnostic excuse anymore. Now, if you need to diagnose CPU failure, sure, it will do that, but these "consumer-grade" X299 CPU's will be unable to diagnose IMC related issues since half the channels and DIMM slots are outright disabled, and any PCIe related issues with the CPU or board are impossible to diagnose as well because half the PCIe-wired slots on the board are disabled with these CPU's. From a purely diagnostic standpoint, they were better off allowing Xeon's to work on the platform like they did on X99. You could get quad core Xeon's on X99 that were still quad channel and still had access to all of the PCIe wired components on the board, for under $100. Now, you get X299 CPU's that have none of the X299 features, for nothing more than a stop-gap.

I wasn't even thinking about it as a tester, but you're right, it makes no sense for that.

9 minutes ago, MageTank said:

As mean as it is to say this, X299 is not for the budget-oriented consumer. If you cannot afford to outright buy into X299 and get the CPU you want at the same time you buy the rest of the platform, it's probably not the platform for you. I understand some people are waiting on unreleased CPU's (like the 7980XE) but anyone that is willing to dump $2000 into a CPU, can probably afford the $400 to invest in a 6 core backup that can at least validate that all of his DIMM slots, channels, and PCIe components are working. To people with that kind of money, it would make no sense to cheap out and potentially deal with RMA'ing a board that you had for months, because you were unable to properly test it in advance. 

Exactly, this is the only possible use I can conceive of for it, and it's not even a good one. xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Thatd honestly be dope imo

Intel should just integrate an Atom core into the chipset for this purpose (of testing the board).

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Do you remember when the X meant Intel's most badass/awesome CPU for the entire line up? now even locked mainstream processors outperforms these x's... Way to go with Intel's marketing scheme making their x mean shit just like AMD's x is often something to avoid lol

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

To be fair I don't get why AMD made those Athlon and Bristol Ridge chips compatible for Ryzen, but atleast AM4 is still a consumer platform.

If Intel really wants to bleed money and produce ridiculous products, who are we to stop them? It's not my problem if they squander their profits and waste perfectly good silicon...

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

30 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

To be fair I don't get why AMD made those Athlon and Bristol Ridge chips compatible for Ryzen, but atleast AM4 is still a consumer platform.

they made the for low end chips to get you onto ryzen, ryzen should use the same mobos for 2 more generations so its a good idea, also for the APU fast ram is important and DDR4 is much faster than DDR3

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

they made the for low end chips to get you onto ryzen, ryzen should use the same mobos for 2 more generations so its a good idea, also for the APU fast ram is important and DDR4 is much faster than DDR3

I guess, but is anyone actually buying them when Raven Ridge/Ryzen Mobile is probably almost here.

Just now, Okjoek said:

I guess, but is anyone actually buying them when Raven Ridge/Ryzen Mobile is probably almost here.

not really

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Don't know why people think this it's such terrible idea still 

If true this could be great stepping stone for their line up after next Couple gens like testing waters on 1 socket system before They go completely mesh and emib dies

Talk about close minded people