Intel is planning to release a 2 core i3 for x299, i3-7360X

The Benjamins
Just now, techdiode said:

UNLOCKED 10GHz Celeron with 8 lanes.

ftfy

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I cant argue that, as I honestly can't up with any normal use case scenarios. However have travel all over kingdom come and have seen people use hardware for many things that I personally wouldn't have thought of. I went to a certain Aircraft manufacture and went into there server/communications room and they were using a brand new 7700 to run DOS 6.22. They were using it to monitor a control input and output of a nortel PBX system with their Network Database.

Please tell me they were running it on a 1TB SSD (or better yet, 2 in RAID 1....or even better, 3 in RAID 5). xD 

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

CPU issues are extremely rare. Of course in their mind this is to make more money, I just can't think of how that is going to happen. Nobody in their right mind would move up to x299 with a dual core, especially if it doesn't take advantage of the platform's pcie lanes - and even if they did, the slightly higher margin on the price would be all intel would get from that sale as I don't believe they make much money from the motherboard sale.

A not all that rare occurrence is when someone overclocks their processor to where it breaks. I remember watching JayzTwoCents some time ago and when overclocking a CPU (I do not recall which) he accidentally sent way too much power to the CPU. Killing it. Having a "cheap" (It probably wont be a good price:performance value) CPU laying around could be handy.

I've heard of people dropping their CPU's and damaging them that way. Again having a "cheap" backup could be useful.

If you have a failed CPU overclock and for whatever reason resetting the BIOS isn't working using a different processor could reset the OC.

It's circumstantial but I could see this appealing to a small market.

31 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Please tell me they were running it on a 1TB SSD (or better yet, 2 in RAID 1....or even better, 3 in RAID 5). xD 

No they had network boot, it used to run a 500MB Fast SCSI drive. It was fun to play with though, they still used the original WYSE monitor from '95.

They did have a SCSI add in card though in case they ever needed to use one of the original drive should the network go down.

4 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Inb4 it can't overclock higher than the FX8xxx that's currently sitting at the very top :P 

It won't. Intel usually ends up cold bugging before that. LHe is usually required for CPU-Z records. 

FX is damn useless for anything other than frequency records. They make great paper weights though. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

16 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

FX is damn useless for anything other than frequency records.

Well, isn't that the exact case people is making for this rumored CPU?

I mean, there's also "being a good value for parallel workloads", but that wouldn't apply to the i3.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I mean, there's also "being a good value for parallel workloads", but that wouldn't apply to the i3.

I feel like if it was designed just for setting records, they seriously could have just made it a single core, and made it even cheaper.  That would let people buy more and not worry about killing them, and it would probably clock higher since fewer cores usually wins the frequency battle.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Wtf.

roro2.gif.0188f0ebe7a2405e91ace780a33b416c.gif

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

>Except that the 7350k is already proving itself to be pretty quick for a dual core.

http://hwbot.org/submission/3440380_true_monkey_cinebench___2003_core_i3_7350k_3941_points/

http://hwbot.org/submission/3496993_splave_cinebench___r11.5_core_i3_7350k_8.34_points

http://hwbot.org/submission/3534700_splave_cinebench___r15_core_i3_7350k_766_cb

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I feel like if it was designed just for setting records, they seriously could have just made it a single core, and made it even cheaper.  That would let people buy more and not worry about killing them, and it would probably clock higher since fewer cores usually wins the frequency battle.

There's more to extreme overclocking that just raw clock speed. There's no point in having an unlocked single core processor. Just a waste of resources. What people are interesting in is core scaling. With that + napkin math it's fairly easy to assume what the next processor scores all the way up to the high end. 

You'll see that the 7350K already has some of the 2x CPU records. But that's a mainstream platform chip. Should someone want to then change to a HEDT chip they'll have to shutdown, remove pot and prep the HEDT platform. That takes time. And time is never really on their side. Whereas with a 7360X they just have to swap the chip, reapply paste and jobs a good one. 7360X could also take advantage of the better built X299 boards like the Rampage VI Apex. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

There's more to extreme overclocking that just raw clock speed. There's no point in having an unlocked single core processor. Just a waste of resources. What people are interesting in is core scaling. With that + napkin math it's fairly easy to assume what the next processor scores all the way up to the high end. 

What do you mean by "core scaling"?  Like, how well it scores on 2+ cores vs just 1?  In a synthetic benchmark where each thread runs the same code independently of any other, I can't see a reason for there to ever be anything other than a linear relationship... have you seen oddities before though?

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You'll see that the 7350K already has some of the 2x CPU records. But that's a mainstream platform chip. Should someone want to then change to a HEDT chip they'll have to shutdown, remove pot and prep the HEDT platform. That takes time. And time is never really on their side. Whereas with a 7360X they just have to swap the chip, reapply paste and jobs a good one. 7360X could also take advantage of the better built X299 boards like the Rampage VI Apex. 

Bottom line then, this is really just aimed at extreme overclockers?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Except I think if there was one, a community of tech people would have figured one out in 6+ pages, and yet, they haven't.  I don't think I've ever seen such a one sided response to anything on this forum or anywhere.  It's kind of incredible actually xD  I mean, so far I think there's only been one person to even suggest it could have a use, but they haven't even come up with one, just suggested it might exist.

2 of us at least, I did say maybe it's just left over silicon that isn't good enough for anything else and they know it will sell.

And (unfortunately) most of the responses in this thread are not well thought out considerations of the rumor (because I believe that is all it is still), but merely immature reactions, derisory comments and memes.    Has anyone really stopped to consider how it looks to make derisory comments about a company and stomp your feat pontificating about how silly they are based on a rumor of a product that they wouldn't  even consider buying?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

28 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Which is like saying "it´s pretty smart for an idiot".

I mean, you are just confirming its role as 

damn useless for anything other than frequency records.

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

2 of us at least, I did say maybe it's just left over silicon that isn't good enough for anything else and they know it will sell.

But that's not a use for it, that's just an explanation for why it exists.

And (unfortunately) most of the responses in this thread are not well thought out considerations of the rumor (because I believe that is all it is still), but merely immature reactions, derisory comments and memes.

xD true

Has anyone really stopped to consider how it looks to make derisory comments about a company and stomp your feat pontificating about how silly they are based on a rumor of a product that they wouldn't  even consider buying?

feet*

I don't think whether or not they'd buy it matters, people speculate on and debate products they never buy all the time.  If people only ever talked about things that they eventually bought, these news threads would be practically dead.  I think everyone is making comments in the context of knowing that there is little if any reason for this to exist.

7 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Great for OC tho. Have some of these, then some of the i7s and i9s for more speed.

One unified platform for the enthusiast sector isn't a bad idea tbh. Means when you've clinched the dual core WR you can just open the socket and swap in a 7980XE. All on one board. 

But alas as usual LTT thinks everything is for "gaymers". 

But this is not for "gaymers".

"Gaymers" won't buy $200 dual-core and $400 board so that they can throw $300 graphics card on it.

Power users won't buy dual-core either.

And if you are just buying this purely for OC then sure, go ahead but that's the only thing that this i3 is made for.

It doesn't even have iGPU for causal users but even then... you are throwing more money on MB than CPU so even with iGPU it would not be for casual users.

Not to mention that you cannot use half of your motherboard features with this CPU so why even bother...

Who the hell is this for?

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But that's not a use for it, that's just an explanation for why it exists.

xD true

feet*

I don't think whether or not they'd buy it matters, people speculate on and debate products they never buy all the time.  If people only ever talked about things that they eventually bought, these news threads would be practically dead.  I think everyone is making comments in the context of knowing that there is little if any reason for this to exist.

fair enough, 

Feat/feet, an amazing feat of feet with great strength of foot.  I smell a foul plot afoot.   ( <name that movie)

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

17 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

A not all that rare occurrence is when someone overclocks their processor to where it breaks. I remember watching JayzTwoCents some time ago and when overclocking a CPU (I do not recall which) he accidentally sent way too much power to the CPU. Killing it. Having a "cheap" (It probably wont be a good price:performance value) CPU laying around could be handy.

I've heard of people dropping their CPU's and damaging them that way. Again having a "cheap" backup could be useful.

If you have a failed CPU overclock and for whatever reason resetting the BIOS isn't working using a different processor could reset the OC.

It's circumstantial but I could see this appealing to a small market.

Well, removing the CMOS battery will reset the motherboard pretty much without fail, and if it still doesn't work it's a clear sign the motherboard or the cpu is damaged. Killing a cpu through overvolting is possible but you really need to be pushing it, or throw in 2v or something, in which case you'll know it's dead.

It's not that it would be completely useless, but dropping 200$ or so on it definitely makes no sense.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Well, removing the CMOS battery will reset the motherboard pretty much without fail, and if it still doesn't work it's a clear sign the motherboard or the cpu is damaged. Killing a cpu through overvolting is possible but you really need to be pushing it, or throw in 2v or something, in which case you'll know it's dead.

It's not that it would be completely useless, but dropping 200$ or so on it definitely makes no sense.

$200!?! WTF. I'd drop no more than $75. It's existence doesn't bother me but that price tag does. It seems Intel's objective is to merge the mainstream and enthusiast platforms. I assume this is so those who can only afford limited parts have a longer upgrade path before they hit hardware limitations. Of course this isn't for the benefit of those people it's just so Intel can make more money.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

$200!?! WTF. I'd drop no more than $75. It's existence doesn't bother me but that price tag does. It seems Intel's objective is to merge the mainstream and enthusiast platforms. I assume this is so those who can only afford limited parts have a longer upgrade path before they hit hardware limitations. Of course this isn't for the benefit of those people it's just so Intel can make more money.

I'm speculating on the price, but I can't imagine it will be cheaper than any "normal" i3, so it will be at least 160$. Knowing intel, 200$ is probably pretty spot on.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I DEMAND A CELERON RIGHT NOW INTEL.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes, it sounds ridiculous, but it's most likely bullshit, or a marketing gimmick to enable first-tier PC makers to list their items relatively "cheaply", yet still as HEDT, in their product line-ups.

f9fc46e0eae869112bf9b26f14acd327--wtf-fa

That's like putting a Ford Focus engine in a 918 Spyder. Sure, it'll look cool, but it's pointless as hell. Plus it's not gonna come cheap.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB