Intel is planning to release a 2 core i3 for x299, i3-7360X

The Benjamins
Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

[...] as no one in their right mind would recommend someone buy this. 

xD very true.  But then, why would anyone buy it?  And how can you say 

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

[...]The people that choose to buy this option will be informed people,[...]

I think if they were informed, they would know that no one in their right mind would recommend it, and they would not buy it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think if they were informed, they would know that no one in their right mind would recommend it, and they would not buy it.

Heck I don't know, you could use it as a placeholder chip. Like I said someone could find a reason that we don't see. Why does Intel make the Xeon Platinum 8156 it's a four core chip for an octo-processor system. Most people would think its dumb but I can actually see many use cases for it. 

Also I wouldn't recommend someone get a 7980XE but would I buy it? Yes, and for very selfish reasons ?.

I would imagine this would be for fun overclocking? 

I can't see much other use for it. 

18 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I guess, but is anyone actually buying them when Raven Ridge/Ryzen Mobile is probably almost here.

Bristol Ridge was originally made for OEMs, and it was out in the market before Ryzen was even launched. It was a way to bring the power efficiency improvements they already had, and support for DDR4, which I guess made things easier for system integrators. I wouldn't be surprised if they served as testers for some of the features in Ryzen.

Over time, they gradually reached retailers, maybe because of delays in Raven Ridge being ready for launch or something, but it is anachronistic to look at them from today's perspective. They've been here for longer than Ryzen, and by the time Bristol Ridge is out they will be at least 18 months old.

Pretty sure someone is gonna buy a bunch of these and roll the silicon lottery until they get the golden chip that really does break OC records on Air, Water or even LN2, it'll still be a dual core though lmao.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Reading his post it seems to me he is more saying that just because it doesn't suit our needs doesn't mean there isn't one.   It appears to me that one of the reasons Intel pull in $8B a quarter (for desktop platforms alone) is that they offer a variety of solutions including weird ones.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Here's an idea intel.

Stop releasing a new product every single freaking year (to the consumer platform) and instead focus on upgrade paths and maturing the products you do release? I know I won't be buying another Intel chip for a long, LONG time.

I might build an AMD rig in the future, but I damn sure won't be buying anything from Intel. Why? Because I know there is very little longevity and no affordable upgrade path that doesn't require building an entirely new machine.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

Reading his post it seems to me he is more saying that just because it doesn't suit our needs doesn't mean there isn't one.   It appears to me that one of the reasons Intel pull in $8B a quarter (for desktop platforms alone) is that they offer a variety of solutions including weird ones.

Thank you, this exactly the point I was making. I guess I had worded it terribly or not at all. I am used to formal email communication with work and going back and forth on a forum causes me to have the wrong mindset. (I sent an email to my boss and tried to use an emoji and "lol")

Great for OC tho. Have some of these, then some of the i7s and i9s for more speed.

One unified platform for the enthusiast sector isn't a bad idea tbh. Means when you've clinched the dual core WR you can just open the socket and swap in a 7980XE. All on one board. 

But alas as usual LTT thinks everything is for "gaymers". 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

To save the Intel Empire Castle: Pentium III for X299.

TF is wrong CrippleTel??

AMD:

200.gif

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

On 9/21/2017 at 5:24 PM, porina said:

I know a small niche who would get this: competitive overclockers going for highest clock at any cost. Compared to quads, you're not going to stress the power delivery so much, and cooling will be easier too. 

Inb4 it can't overclock higher than the FX8xxx that's currently sitting at the very top :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

20 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Heck I don't know, you could use it as a placeholder chip. Like I said someone could find a reason that we don't see. Why does Intel make the Xeon Platinum 8156 it's a four core chip for an octo-processor system. Most people would think its dumb but I can actually see many use cases for it. 

Also I wouldn't recommend someone get a 7980XE but would I buy it? Yes, and for very selfish reasons ?.

The Xeon at least supported every feature on the motherboard unlike the i3, i5, i7 (4core)

Just now, WereCat said:

The Xeon at least supported every feature on the motherboard unlike the i3, i5, i7 (4core)

Yes and its why I prefer the Xeon. You do have to pay for it though!

On 9/21/2017 at 5:14 PM, KenjiUmino said:

if the HEDT alternative to the i3-7350K is called i3-7360X then i assume the HEDT Pentium G4560 would be called G4570X - amirite?

*Notices some rumbling in a bus and some intel employees with notepads run back to HQ screaming with excitement*

Yours faithfully

These might be less insane if they didn't cost almost as much as the R5-1600. Y'all keep saying things like "placeholder chip", but it's a REALLY expensive chip. Inexcusable that it costs that much money, the quad cores should be $200 if they really need cheap CPUs on the enthusiast platform.

I used to be quite active here.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:48 PM, Windows7ge said:

If it's cheap enough I could see it being useful to enthusiasts as a backup chip. Or when you're troubleshooting and you want to test if the issue is your processor but you didn't buy a second $600+ chip.

Although it seems like a bit of a scheme by Intel to get people to move up to X299. Most likely the end goal being more money for them.

CPU issues are extremely rare. Of course in their mind this is to make more money, I just can't think of how that is going to happen. Nobody in their right mind would move up to x299 with a dual core, especially if it doesn't take advantage of the platform's pcie lanes - and even if they did, the slightly higher margin on the price would be all intel would get from that sale as I don't believe they make much money from the motherboard sale.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

CPU issues are extremely rare. Of course in their mind this is to make more money, I just can't think of how that is going to happen. Nobody in their right mind would move up to x299 with a dual core, especially if it doesn't take advantage of the platform's pcie lanes - and even if they did, the slightly higher margin on the price would be all intel would get from that sale as I don't believe they make much money from the motherboard sale.

My assumption is they literally just have these and, rather than throwing them away, they're seeing if they can at least make money on them. They're pretty much 7700ks with probably 1 bad core.

10 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

My assumption is they literally just have these and, rather than throwing them away, they're seeing if they can at least make money on them. They're pretty much 7700ks with probably 1 bad core.

If that were the case they'd just sell them as pentiums or normal i3s, those sell a lot more than an HEDT dual core ever will.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Aw yeah, gotta get me some of that extreme dual core speed!

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If that were the case they'd just sell them as pentiums or normal i3s, those sell a lot more than an HEDT dual core ever will.

Honestly, it seems like they've been constraining the supply of the Pentiums. They already upped the sale price of the G4560 by a good chunk. But they're basically selling CPUs for, say, $200 USD that they were selling, retail, for $65USD. The packaging cost is likely less for the X299 version, in fact. So you have a potential Profit Margin upwards of 10x higher per unit. It's worth making a run of them, even if there's almost zero reasons to ever buy one.

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Except I think if there was one, a community of tech people would have figured one out in 6+ pages, and yet, they haven't.  I don't think I've ever seen such a one sided response to anything on this forum or anywhere.  It's kind of incredible actually xD  I mean, so far I think there's only been one person to even suggest it could have a use, but they haven't even come up with one, just suggested it might exist.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Except I think if there was one, a community of tech people would have figured one out in 6+ pages, and yet, they haven't.  I don't think I've ever seen such a one sided response to anything on this forum or anywhere.  It's kind of incredible actually xD  I mean, so far I think there's only been one person to even suggest it could have a use, but they haven't even come up with one, just suggested it might exist.

Hey now, I can make a use case out of anything lol. I could use it as an expensive socket cover, or maybe I want a flashy RGB holder for my box opener!

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Hey now, I can make a use case out of anything lol. I could use it as an expensive socket cover, or maybe I want a flashy RGB holder for my box opener!

Yes there's things is could be used as, but no real logical actual use case :P I think the closest we've come as a tester chip, but as magetank pointed out, it would fail to test many of the features of the board such as some memory slots, PCIe lanes, etc. so that doesn't even work as a reason for it to exist.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes there's things is could be used as, but no real logical actual use case :P I think the closest we've come as a tester chip, but as magetank pointed out, it would fail to test many of the features of the board such as some memory slots, PCIe lanes, etc. so that doesn't even work as a reason for it to exist.

I cant argue that, as I honestly can't up with any normal use case scenarios. However have travel all over kingdom come and have seen people use hardware for many things that I personally wouldn't have thought of. I went to a certain Aircraft manufacture and went into there server/communications room and they were using a brand new 7700 to run DOS 6.22. They were using it to monitor a control input and output of a nortel PBX system with their Network Database.

5 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I cant argue that, as I honestly can't up with any normal use case scenarios. However have travel all over kingdom come and have seen people use hardware for many things that I personally wouldn't have thought of. I went to a certain Aircraft manufacture and went into there server/communications room and they were using a brand new 7700 to run DOS 6.22. They were using it to monitor a control input and output of a nortel PBX system with their Network Database.

And, of course, you see how excessive and hilarious that is.  But clearly they didn't.  And what I fear will happen here is clueless people will waste a large amount of money buying x299 and then buying this i3 which makes all the extra x299 features pointless.  I'm all for choice and competition but sometimes there's just a stupid, pointless product that does nothing but harm consumers by a) wasting time the company could have invested into making something else - something useful, and b) tricking them into buying something that's a terrible value.