Steam Store is getting a major overhaul soon (leak)

Master Disaster

Coming from the same place the last few Steam sale leaks have originated from, a developer from the platform has leaked info from a private steam developer group about the incoming changes to Neogaf. 

Valve invites Steamworks developers to a private, developer-only group on Steam. This serves as a good way to let game makers know of upcoming changes to the store, the Steamworks API itself, and other relevant details.

This is also how we sometimes learn bout Steam sales, and even changes to sale formats, ahead of time. Today, thanks to one NeoGAF user, we can see the latest update from Valve, which highlights some key changes coming to Steam’s various store pages.

Starting with the store... 

The front page will now use bigger images in some places, and get a general refresh to remove clutter. The navigation column on the left will be getting a a number of new links to categories like new releases, top sellers, recently updated, upcoming releases, and specials.

This column will expand if you’re logged in, linking to a ‘popular among friends’ category, alongside other curator recommendations from the curators you follow. A ‘top sellers new releases’ section will be added, to specifically feature new games that have reached the top sellers list.

Users will have more control over what they see on the store page... 

Users will now have more control over the type of content they see on Steam’s homepage, too. Previously, user customisation was limited to each user’s queue of games. Now, you’ll be able to set the type of products you see on the homepage. For example, you can choose to see or not see Early Access releases, software, videos and movies, VR etc.

Next up is new visibility behavior for new & updated games... 

Another interesting change Valve is making pertains to visibility of new game releases on launch. When this update rolls out, newly released games will appear in a few different ways on the ‘New on Steam’ page and queue. Valve says that while this may result in new releases appearing to a smaller group of players, these players will likely more interested in the product, based on tastes and preferences.

The same goes for games that have been available for a while, but keep popping up on the main page due to updates. Valve is also making them more visible to interested customers, rather than the store as a whole. Interested customers include players who already own it, ones who have it on their wishlists, and players who are more likely to be interested, based on preferences.

Finally the curator programme is getting some changes... 

The Curator programme will also be getting a few improvements. Curators will now have the tools to indicate whether their posts serve as recommendations, or are simply informational, which in turn informs Valve’s algorithms about recommended games on the front page. Users will now be able to see games only recommended by Curators they follow.

This extends to a new, Curators-specific section on the homepage that highlights recent recommendations. Another page will be added to feature older titles recommended by Curators you follow.

No word on a release date yet, just "in a few weeks". 

https://www.vg247.com/2016/09/26/the-steam-store-is-getting-some-big-ui-changes-soon/

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1284032

Reading through I see nothing that benefits the users, these changes seem to be squarely aimed at selling more products and making more money. Of course there's nothing wrong with a business making money but given valves reputation on the support side I think it's about time they start trying to offer their existing customers a decent level of support. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. 

While the Steam store is not terrible, I wouldn't classify it as "ain't broke"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

21 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Well the Steam store is not the best thing ever, so I wouldn't classify it as "ain't broke"

Specifically Greenlight and Early Access.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Does not matter how it will look like because people will get use to it after a while. 

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

1 hour ago, Jorgen297 said:

If it ain't broken, don't fix it. 

It is broken. I manually went to EVERY. FREAKING. UBISOFT. GAME. and clicked "not interested" thinking that they would never show up on the store front anymore, but NOPE. They still show up. That's the point where I completely stopped looking for games on Steam, because my blood just boils with rage. Only during store-wide sales will I go into the advanced search and use filters to find games under $20 I might be interested in. Otherwise, Steam doesn't sell me anything anymore apart from when I find out about a game somewhere else. And even then, I'll use GOG over Steam if I can.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Wall of text, no images. *Leaving dissapointed*

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I actually expected some pictures though, but oh well. Let's see the overhaul UI then. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, raphidy said:

Yeah, they probably should just look at Origin how it is so slick now.

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Hope they completely destroy it in this attempt to fix it, GOG 4 life (also even Origin is better)

Wat. Origin's layout is crappy compared to Steam.

45 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Wat. Origin's layout is crappy compared to Steam.

Possibly though I don't like steams layout (I use gog most often), but origin gives me free stuff and allows friends who haven't bought anything to communicate and join games together in a party for beta events like BF1, Origin as a whole has treated me better than steam hence why I prefer it to steam.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Good. Steam isn't a terrible piece of software but my GOD is the UI ugly. Really needs an overhaul.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

This is awesome but they had better be doing some overhauls from the partner.steamworks site too. Managing a store page on steam is god awful and really ugly. I really hope I don't have to go through and manually change everyone one of my store pages because of this. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I found the post on the private steam group. Not sure if I'm allowed to say any details though. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Good. I don't ever want to see an early access game

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

How about Valve gets off their asses and start making the trading system work again, because it's fucking annoying when TF2's (and CSGO's, and fucking Steam's) item servers go down like once every ten minutes.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I actually expected some pictures though, but oh well. Let's see the overhaul UI then. 

3 hours ago, AresKrieger said:

Possibly though I don't like steams layout (I use gog most often), but origin gives me free stuff and allows friends who haven't bought anything to communicate and join games together in a party for beta events like BF1, Origin as a whole has treated me better than steam hence why I prefer it to steam.

And who ever complained about the layout/UI of steam...there is something called a skin...I use the widely known skin called Air and well...it's good :P (all I'm saying is skins exists so stop complaining ;))

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

I hope they fix some stuff soon, because I'm getting tired of Far Cry 3 not wanting to work, or half of the games I buy and download from Steam being classified as viruses.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

(all I'm saying is skins exists so stop complaining ;))

I wasn't even the one who brought it up o.O

My reason for hating steam go well beyond it's store front, rather I hate the platform as a whole so steam's store can burn in a dumpster fire for all I care as I don't use it.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I wasn't even the one who brought it up o.O

Ah well, couldn't be bothered finding the correct 2/3 people so I just quoted you and the other guy as you were complaining something about steam :P 

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

My reason for hating steam go well beyond it's store front, rather I hate the platform as a whole so steam's store can burn in a dumpster fire for all I care as I don't use it.

But cheap games...(non G2A/Kinguin) and it's better than Origin and Uplay...

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah well, couldn't be bothered finding the correct 2/3 people so I just quoted you and the other guy as you were complaining something about steam :P 

But cheap games...(non G2A/Kinguin) and it's better than Origin and Uplay...

Origin has given me free games before I even bought anything from them, you'll get no argument from me about Uplay though that thing is crap

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Origin has given me free games before I even bought anything from them

That is true...ah well :P 

Yes, finally steam. Start improving! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series?