Google has decided that Android 7.0 will not be officially supported on Snapdragon 800/801 devices

AlTech

Android 7.0 Nougat, Google's latest release of Android OS, will not be officially released on devices powered by the snapdragon 800 or 801 SOCs

This is due to the S800 & S801 not featuring hardware based disk encryption support. All ArMv8 64 Bit SOCs and the Snapdragon 805 SOC are capable of supporting Android 7.0 nougat.

Now that Android 7.0 Nougat has been released, the top tier OEMs have started to announce when we can expect to see upgrades. Sony has confirmed that the Xperia Z3+, the Xperia Z5 range, and the Xperia X & XA ranges will all get Nougat, while HTC has announced that Android Nougat will be coming to its HTC 10, One M9, and One A9 smartphones. And we know that Google has released Android 7.0 for the Nexus 6, the Nexus 5X, the Nexus 6P and the General Mobile 4G (Android One).

Unfortunately, it looks like some popular devices will miss the party. For example, Sony’s announcement didn’t include the Xperia Z3, HTC’s announcement didn’t include the One M8, and Google isn’t planning to release Nougat for the Nexus 5. These three devices have two things in common. First, their age: they were all released in 2013/2014, making them at least two years old. Secondly, they all use the Snapdragon 800 or Snapdragon 801 processor.

Ola Olsson, of Sony Mobile Communications, expanded on this a bit when he commented on Google+: “Yeah, this is sad but we don’t want to play the blame game which means that we can’t say more about the technical limitations. Even if we really wanted to give you N on the z3(c), we wouldn’t [have] been able to do it. Not if we wanted to pass the Google CTS.”

But, notice that most of the devices receiving an upgrade are 64-bit devices, or more specifically, ARMv8 devices. So what is it about these 64-bit devices that would mean that the Snapdragon 800/801 is disqualified, but the Snapdragon 805 (the 32-bit processor in the Nexus 6) isn’t? It isn’t the GPU. It isn’t performance. It isn’t any imaginary 4GB of RAM limitation. So what is it?

Here is my theory. Google is increasingly keen to mandate the use of storage encryption. For Android 6.0, the CDD stated that, “If the device implementation supports a secure lock screen… then the device MUST support full-disk encryption” and that “the full-disk encryption MUST be enabled by default at the time the user has completed the out-of-box setup experience.”

However, there were some exemptions which allowed older devices to run without storage encryption. The CDD also stipulated a performance level for this encryption “for device implementations supporting full-disk encryption and with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) crypto performance above 50MiB/sec.”

Android 7.0 Nougat implements file-based encryption, meaning that individual files are encrypted rather than the whole file system. File-based encryption allows Android to use more fine-grained encryption policies and it also enables Direct Boot. At the time of writing this article the CDD for Android 7.0 isn’t available, but you can pretty much guarantee that there is an AES crypto performance level specified and that the CTS will test for it.

So, Google has decided that all SOCs need hardware based encryption solutions so that it can provide sufficient speed. The Snapdragon 800 and 801 do not feature hardware based solutions and thus won't get the Delete repeated word

This seems like a pretty dick move. Why not just let it run Android 7.0 but not have security features enabled.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-snapdragon-800-801-712930/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This is a major "What the fuck" move right here. You're trying to enable support to nearly all of supported android devices, trying to play Apple's game, but you can't just reject a whole bunch of users just because their phones lack a certain feature.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

There is also the fact that Qualcomm isn't making updated drivers for SD800/801. Allegedly they don't support Vulkan either, making them non-compliant with Nougat.

Good thing I have an 808 in my phone. Imo this isnt Google playing apple, but them instead making a bigger deal out  of security. If your device cant be secured, it wont get the OS. Seems fine to me.

Does it even matter? It's not like anything will get a Nougat update anyways, unless it's the highest end model and 4 months old. Android sucks so hard when it comes to updates/upgrades.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

There is also the fact that Qualcomm isn't making updated drivers for SD800/801. Allegedly they don't support Vulkan either, making them non-compliant with Nougat.

Even if they did, Google will not sign off on an Android build which does not use encryption.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I've also heard in some other article that it's because the GPU bundled in 800/801 devices won't get driver updates since they don't support vulkan.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

28 minutes ago, CtW said:

Good thing I have an 808 in my phone. Imo this isnt Google playing apple, but them instead making a bigger deal out  of security. If your device cant be secured, it wont get the OS. Seems fine to me.

18 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

I've also heard in some other article that it's because the GPU bundled in 800/801 devices won't get driver updates since they don't support vulkan.

Saw this from androidcentral. Was because the gpu didn't support OpenGL ES 3.1 or Vulkan..

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

30 minutes ago, keNNySOC said:

Everyone !, switch to a mac for gaming and a iphone as your daily phone ! i promise you will have a great time !

*Dies tomorrow from a gun shot wound*

While I know you intended this post as a joke, switching to an iPhone as your daily driver is not a problem at all for 99% of users, including most users here on the forums. iOS is a very strong mobile OS, which benefits and drawbacks, just like Google's Android.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

57 minutes ago, terrytek said:

This is a major "What the fuck" move right here. You're trying to enable support to nearly all of supported android devices, trying to play Apple's game, but you can't just reject a whole bunch of users just because their phones lack a certain feature.

Last I checked Lollipop doesn't work on my OG Droid...

I guess this means I won't be seeing a custom firmware based on Android 7.0 for my Kindle Fire HD 7 first gen. 9_9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

59 minutes ago, terrytek said:

Sorry man, in this case, I'm siding with Google here.

They're mandating Hardware Encryption for the new OS. If your chip doesn't support that? Too bad.

Android users should already be used to getting fucked by the Carriers and the Hardware Vendors (and by extension, Google), when it comes to getting phone updates.

So no big surprise here. At least Google is putting their foot down when it comes to your personal data security.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Last I checked Lollipop doesn't work on my OG Droid...

ok, but this means my dad's oneplus one wouldn't be able to get lollipop, just because of one thing the cpu. and it's ONLY 2 YEARS OLD. like what the fuck. it's bullshit because it works very very smoothly with android marshmallow (granted, it's a cyanogenmod build, but it still essentially stock android underneath) and the fact it can't get nougat sucks. like i know my mom's lg g3 can't get nougat since it wouldn't even upgrade to marshmallow (long story), but the fact a phone that can be more than capable of running nougat but won't be able to upgrade to nougat pisses me off.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

21 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

While I know you intended this post as a joke, switching to an iPhone as your daily driver is not a problem at all for 99% of users, including most users here on the forums. iOS is a very strong mobile OS, which benefits and drawbacks, just like Google's Android.

They recently patched a 0day in 9.3.5..

im on iOS. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Sorry man, in this case, I'm siding with Google here.

They're mandating Hardware Encryption for the new OS. If your chip doesn't support that? Too bad.

Android users should already be used to getting fucked by the Carriers and the Hardware Vendors (and by extension, Google), when it comes to getting phone updates.

So no big surprise here. At least Google is putting their foot down when it comes to your personal data security.

well i'm not really used to getting fucked by the carriers when it comes to phone updates, because the oneplus one gets updates not by carrier, but just when oneplus releases it. and my mom's lg g3 couldn't even get marshmallow even though it was unlocked, because it was originally an att phone, and even though there was a method to download the update for the g3, it only works on the international version. and i don't feel like going to at&t to get the upgrade, because it seems like i need an att sim to get the update.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

They recently patched a 0day in 9.3.5..

im on iOS. 

Indeed, iOS is actually generally very good when it comes to Security updates.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

well i'm not really used to getting fucked by the carriers when it comes to phone updates, because the oneplus one gets updates not by carrier, but just when oneplus releases it. and my mom's lg g3 couldn't even get marshmallow even though it was unlocked, because it was originally an att phone, and even though there was a method to download the update for the g3, it only works on the international version. and i don't feel like going to at&t to get the upgrade, because it seems like i need an att sim to get the update.

Seems like maybe you need to ditch Android. I guess Open Source doesn't solve everything after all.

I just looked and there are already two custom/original 7.0 ROMs available to download for the Nexus 5. Guess buying into the Nexus line is really paying off, amazing community behind it.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Seems like maybe you need to ditch Android. I guess Open Source doesn't solve everything after all.

i mean i love android, but damn, it's such a pain in the ass. i honestly can't daily an android phone, even if phones like the note 7 are amazing. hell, i'm even waiting for the iphone 7 to come out.

2 minutes ago, terrytek said:

There are probably dozen ROMs available to download from XDA.

4 minutes ago, terrytek said:

ok, but this means my dad's oneplus one wouldn't be able to get lollipop, just because of one thing the cpu. and it's ONLY 2 YEARS OLD. like what the fuck. it's bullshit because it works very very smoothly with android marshmallow (granted, it's a cyanogenmod build, but it still essentially stock android underneath) and the fact it can't get nougat sucks. like i know my mom's lg g3 can't get nougat since it wouldn't even upgrade to marshmallow (long story), but the fact a phone that can be more than capable of running nougat but won't be able to upgrade to nougat pisses me off.

Do you understand what "officially supported" means? I'm sure the folks at Cyanogenmod will just excise the portion that requires the hardware feature and release it. Otherwise how else are you running Marshmallow on an "unsupported" device?

Besides, by this, Apple has a better track record at supporting older devices. The iPhone 4S is the oldest phone that supports iOS 9 (the current version).  Granted it may not be a pleasant experience, but Apple is supporting a five year old phone.

Just now, Matu20 said:

yeah, i'm not willing to risk bricking my mother's phone to flash a stock rom onto it.i already bricked one phone trying to update it to the latest version, i'm not doing it again.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

It's not like there was a jailbreak exploit that involved opening an app and having / 

you know. 

Not ot like this 0day was from 2012... Or anything. 

Not like it's buggy as fuck.. Or anything..

not like I don't like having a pop up everytime I unlock my phone to update to iOS 9.3.5 or anything..

not like wifi doesn't work half the time and I use a couple hundred mb.. Recently. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Matu20 said:

While that is great, you think a "normal" user is going to have the skills necessary to even understand what a "ROM" is - let alone download and use it?

While I do side with Google in this specific instance, that doesn't change the biggest underlying issue with Android: Google is putting software updates onto the responsibility of the Hardware Vendors, who of course would rather just sell you a new phone.

Having a Community hack an updated ROM is great, but should not be necessary for normal phones.

Just now, terrytek said:

yeah, i'm not willing to risk bricking my mother's phone to flash a stock rom onto it.i already bricked one phone trying to update it to the latest version, i'm not doing it again.

I don't understand how people brick their phones, it only takes a few mouse clicks and most popular phones have toolkits.