Google has decided that Android 7.0 will not be officially supported on Snapdragon 800/801 devices

AlTech

And here i was hoping to get android 7.0 on my snapdragon 400... Guess it's not happening. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

This seems like a pretty dick move. Why not just let it run Android 7.0 but not have security features enabled.

Because you don't want people suing you because their phone was hacked to some security feature missing is my guess. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Not sure how I feel about this.

On one hand, it's good that FDE is now a requirement and that it requires an appropriate SoC (I still remember the fiasco when Google tried to make it mandatory even on phones which ran the encryption in software. It was slow as balls). On the other hand, why not just make it so that older chipsets just don't have the encryption enabled by default?

>SD805 supported officially

Oh good! But wait, there's a problem. My Snapdragon 805-based Droid Turbo DOESN'T EVEN HAVE MARSHMALLOW YET.

Oh well, at least Sunshine has been updated to support the latest firmware for my phone.

Kind of sucks that phones can't live with 2+ years of updates :(

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Kind of sucks that phones can't live with 2+ years of updates :(

They can... if you choose something besides Android :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They can... if you choose something besides Android :P

Windows Phone !

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Windows Phone !

Windows phone has an even worse track record than Android when it comes to updates.

The only phone platform with decent support for updates is iOS, but that's cancer in some other ways.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

The only phone platform with decent support for updates is iOS, but that's cancer in some other ways.

Everything is cancer in some way. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

7 hours ago, Notional said:

Does it even matter? It's not like anything will get a Nougat update anyways, unless it's the highest end model and 4 months old. Android sucks so hard when it comes to updates/upgrades.

At least this means your phone isn't self destructed by an os update you need in order to use your applications.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

To be fair, how many S800/801 devices even got OTA Marshmallow?

Its not just the manufacturers, but also retailers and service providers who want to use the new OS to sell more phones.

Yet XDA devs manage to get super clean and feature packed versions of the latest Android out, wayyy ahead of any possible official OTA upgrade.

Fricken corporate shills. Google knows that delegation of ROM development is the culprit behind massive fragmentation of Android user base. It has always been the argument for people to justify their iPhones and biggest barrier to greater Android market share.

The OnePlus One (snapdragon 801) got the CyanogenOS Marshmallow update (Android 6.0.1 / C-OS 13.1).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Windows phone has an even worse track record than Android when it comes to updates.

Yeah I know :) 

Though hopefully WP get's revived with Surface Phone or so and gets more polished and app supported. I tried Lumia 950XL in stores, it's really nice and all with W10M but kind of don't need new phone and would want more flagships to choose from. Also HP Elite x3 showed, but it's phablet xD and not sure about camera and speaker quality.

Yeah iOS haves better support for updates I guess cause it's not so fragmented as far as devices, but yeah, cancer in some other ways.

What about custom ROM though.......and old Tegra 3 (that get run with overclocked CPU+GPU)....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Isn't this mainly up to the manufacturer? Almost everyone has their own spin of android, it seems to me it wouldn't be hard to disable encryption and have it run on 800/801 as well.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Though hopefully WP get's revived with Surface Phone

I've given up hope.

"Hopefully WP will get revived with Windows Phone 7!"

"Okay Windows Phone 7 was terrible, but come on guys, let's get hyped for Windows Phone 8!"

"Well this is embarrassing... Windows Phone 8 was terrible as well. But don't worry, Microsoft is working on 8.1 as we speak and that will be great!"

"So it wasn't as great as we were expecting. But dude trust me, Windows Phone 10 will be glorious!"

"Okay so Windows Phone 10 is still a terrible alternative to the competitors, but come on, aren't you all excited for the Surface phone? That thing we will be great, I promise!".

17 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Isn't this mainly up to the manufacturer? Almost everyone has their own spin of android, it seems to me it wouldn't be hard to disable encryption and have it run on 800/801 as well.

Well, they would violate the CTS (Compatibility Test Suite) meaning they would not be allowed to bundle Google Apps including Play Services and Store. However, yes, they could technically do it. It has already been ported to the Nexus 5 and the Nexus 7, so it's very possible.

What this means is that we'll see plenty of third party Nougat builds for various devices since they'll just sideload gapps and are not restricted by any CTS compliance requirements. Manufacturers will be forced to comply with CTS if they wish to sell devices shipping with Play Services, which they most definitely want to.

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I've given up hope.

"Hopefully WP will get revived with Windows Phone 7!"

"Okay Windows Phone 7 was terrible, but come on guys, let's get hyped for Windows Phone 8!"

"Well this is embarrassing... Windows Phone 8 was terrible as well. But don't worry, Microsoft is working on 8.1 as we speak and that will be great!"

"So it wasn't as great as we were expecting. But dude trust me, Windows Phone 10 will be glorious!"

"Okay so Windows Phone 10 is still a terrible alternative to the competitors, but come on, aren't you all excited for the Surface phone? That thing we will be great, I promise!".

Haha, well I guess I could see why. Though it's getting better :P so we'll see in future.

But yeah my next phone will certainly be Android though. 

This seems like a solid theory, but why the hell can't just Google come out and say this themselves? 

13 hours ago, Notional said:

Does it even matter? It's not like anything will get a Nougat update anyways, unless it's the highest end model and 4 months old. Android sucks so hard when it comes to updates/upgrades.

Well it does matter precisely for the reason you mention: it already does sucks when it comes to updates this will make things much worst. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

12 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

While I know you intended this post as a joke, switching to an iPhone as your daily driver is not a problem at all for 99% of users, including most users here on the forums. iOS is a very strong mobile OS, which benefits and drawbacks, just like Google's Android.

I intended it as a joke,i have nothing against apple,its just there overpriced while having shitty specs

While I get that it sucks, I also think that people running devices almost three years old are also less likely to care if their devices are on the latest version of Android. Most people that really care will upgrade a little more frequently than that.

15 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Besides, by this, Apple has a better track record at supporting older devices. The iPhone 4S is the oldest phone that supports iOS 9 (the current version).  Granted it may not be a pleasant experience, but Apple is supporting a five year old phone.

Google generally supports Nexus devices up to 3 years old don't they? Sure, it's not as long as Apple, but if you've ever tried using an older device with newer IOS then I can see why.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Google generally supports Nexus devices up to 3 years old don't they? Sure, it's not as long as Apple, but if you've ever tried using an older device with newer IOS then I can see why.

Plus mobile tech has grown immensely in power in the past few years. It's like the 90s all over again. We went from phones barely able to do PS1 graphics six years ago to phones and chips rivaling the PS3/X360/WiiU. I mean heck, this is capable today on a Tegra X1
VAy7bPCFm746Hg3hpbqjPI1msds8x_67ffStfcWW

It's pretty bad that google does this. SD 800/801 are powerful enough to run Android 7.0 They did this to nexus 4 too. It could run 6.0 i know this i have nexus 4 and i had installed cyanogenmod 13 and chroma ROMs. It's faster with these roms then most 2016 low end smartphones even when it's 4 year old phone now. 

Apple does really good job with it's updates. even iPhone 4 has got latest iOS update. (Yes iOS 9 made old phones much slower but at least they got it with bugfixes and many new features)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

3 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

It's pretty bad that google does this. SD 800/801 are powerful enough to run Android 7.0 They did this to nexus 4 too. It could run 6.0 i know this i have nexus 4 and i had installed cyanogenmod 13 and chroma ROMs. It's faster with these roms then most 2016 low end smartphones even when it's 4 year old phone now. 

Apple does really good job with it's updates. even iPhone 4 has got latest iOS update. (Yes iOS 9 made old phones much slower but at least they got it with bugfixes and many new features)

Considering the speed boost on a Tegra 3 running under Android 6.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL