Google has decided that Android 7.0 will not be officially supported on Snapdragon 800/801 devices

AlTech
16 hours ago, terrytek said:

yeah, i'm not willing to risk bricking my mother's phone to flash a stock rom onto it.i already bricked one phone trying to update it to the latest version, i'm not doing it again.

Then your doing something very wrong, as long as you've got TWRP (or other recovery) access and a backup there's zero chance of a full and unrecoverable brick. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

While I get that it sucks, I also think that people running devices almost three years old are also less likely to care if their devices are on the latest version of Android. Most people that really care will upgrade a little more frequently than that.

Google generally supports Nexus devices up to 3 years old don't they? Sure, it's not as long as Apple, but if you've ever tried using an older device with newer IOS then I can see why.

Google's recommended EOL is actually 2 years..... Not 3. The Nexus 6 will not receive the major update after Nougat. The 5X and 6P will receive one more major update.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Then your doing something very wrong, as long as you've got TWRP (or other recovery) access and a backup there's zero chance of a full and unrecoverable brick. 

Yup, hard bricking is rare on most devices from what I can tell. A boot loop or a fastboot is recoverable in the vast majority of cases, especially the first one. That's just a matter of going into recovery, wipe and install a working ROM. I only got a fastboot once when I was new to the scene and it just took me an hour or so to figure out what to do and then get a working device again (had some driver/software issue making USB connection problematic if I recall). So it's definitely rare to get into a non-trivial problem/situation when you know the basics (assuming that your device isn't one of the few that are a nightmare to work with).

RIP my nexus 5, hopes CM14, i have already flashed ASOP on my nexus 5 but it was laggy and also alot of bugs such as cell network not working and battery saying i have 30 years standby times, I wish. 

Magical Pineapples

18 hours ago, terrytek said:

yeah, i'm not willing to risk bricking my mother's phone to flash a stock rom onto it.i already bricked one phone trying to update it to the latest version, i'm not doing it again.

I don't get how people still able to brick their phones especially a popular phones such as nexus 5 for example. Backup Data - boot up to recovery - clear dalvik and cache a few times - flash ASOP  ROM + GAPP 7.0 and reboot ez. If you already rooted and unlock boot loader it pretty much impossible to brick your phone. 

Magical Pineapples

My Z3 does everything I need - and since I will be a uni student when my contract is up, I want to save as much money as possible. So I hope, Cyanogenmod (for all the flaws that it has), creates a custom ROM for mine, and many others Z3's. This is the exact same approach I took for my Galaxy S3 - making last a good 6 months longer... before I smashed the screen :( 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Darn. My Nexus 5 won't be getting Nougat. I was planning to use this for solid two years from now. Darn.

nexus-5-basic-design-realistic-specs.jpg

You can use it even longer with a good firmware. I really hope that the cyanogenmod team will be able to port it for my phone(SGS5).

7 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I don't get how people still able to brick their phones especially a popular phones such as nexus 5 for example. Backup Data - boot up to recovery - clear dalvik and cache a few times - flash ASOP  ROM + GAPP 7.0 and reboot ez. If you already rooted and unlock boot loader it pretty much impossible to brick your phone. 

but the thing is, i feel like i didn't even root my phone fully. that's probably how i ended up screwing it up. because cyanogenmod worked for about 3 months, then it shit on me.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Still waiting for an iPod touch competitor on the Android side.

For that price you could buy a pretty decent android phone that would beat it...

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, keNNySOC said:

Everyone !, switch to a mac for gaming and a iphone as your daily phone ! i promise you will have a great time !

*Dies tomorrow from a gun shot wound*

why would you go from an open source os ti a closed one while also jumping from one closed to another?

I am planning on going back to Linux as my main os sadly I have a windows phone so that will need to stay till my contact is up.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

3 hours ago, terrytek said:

but the thing is, i feel like i didn't even root my phone fully. that's probably how i ended up screwing it up. because cyanogenmod worked for about 3 months, then it shit on me.

Maybe you should update to newer nightly? I always update each month around the time each month security patches comes out, maybe you should try another rom if you CM is not working for you. 

Magical Pineapples

On 8/27/2016 at 6:35 PM, dalekphalm said:

Indeed, iOS is actually generally very good when it comes to Security updates.

Seems like maybe you need to ditch Android. I guess Open Source doesn't solve everything after all.

The problem is that with many android devices, not everything is open source. The GPL violations happening with android devices are innumerable *cough* Mediatek, Xiaomi, like every Chinese OEM *cough*. If everyone followed the GPL, things would be a whole lot different. See all the custom roms that are available for even the very old nexus devices... Because Google actually gives a fuck and privides the source code... 

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

55 minutes ago, FakezZ said:

The problem is that with many android devices, not everything is open source. The GPL violations happening with android devices are innumerable *cough* Mediatek, Xiaomi, like every Chinese OEM *cough*. If everyone followed the GPL, things would be a whole lot different. See all the custom roms that are available for even the very old nexus devices... Because Google actually gives a fuck and privides the source code... 

Android is not GPL though. The kernel modifications are GPL, but the vast majority of the other Android code is Apache 2.0.

The biggest differences between GPL and Apache is that Apache is not copyleft, and thus does not require you to open source modifications you do.

It's amusing to see ppl cry so hard over an OS that they claim to have full control of, ie regardless of OS updates support from your device manufacturer, you can build your own image, root your device and flash nougat to your device anyways. Where's your DIY spirit? It only exists when other's do it for you... hello Cyanogen Mod...

17 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

Maybe you should update to newer nightly? I always update each month around the time each month security patches comes out, maybe you should try another rom if you CM is not working for you. 

I used to reinstall windows every few months too back in the XP/2000 days. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make your phone work.

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, dtaflorida said:

It's amusing to see ppl cry so hard over an OS that they claim to have full control of, ie regardless of OS updates support from your device manufacturer, you can build your own image, root your device and flash nougat to your device anyways. Where's your DIY spirit? It only exists when other's do it for you... hello Cyanogen Mod...

I used to reinstall windows every few months too back in the XP/2000 days. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to make your phone work.

sad that they killed the installer, would have made things easy for the Joetards

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 8/27/2016 at 7:26 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Why not just let it run Android 7.0 but not have security features enabled.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-7-0-snapdragon-800-801-712930/

The answer as to why is pretty simple, if there are features being advertised and you download the update on your phone expecting that feature to be in place but it isn't, then that's false advertisement.

And considering these are security features, and that security has become a big deal as of late, this brings out a false sense of security for the user. Most of us tech-savvy folks would understand that not all devices would have the same feature-set but the average consumer would not.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Surprised to see Google put the foot down when it comes to hardware specifications. They're finally shying away from "lets get android on every smartphone" to "lets focus on the user and the experience". Bravo.

No Android 7 for my g3, I guess.  Oh well.  My phone still works perfectly, and I feel no need to update for at least another year.

Cyanogen Mod. Done.

(obviously good devs for each device is a must, but the cm community is great!)

5 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Though when you get Windows 98SE (Unofficial SP3) running far more stable than Windows 10.......and Windows 10 takes a lot longer to install......

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Android is not GPL though. The kernel modifications are GPL, but the vast majority of the other Android code is Apache 2.0.

The biggest differences between GPL and Apache is that Apache is not copyleft, and thus does not require you to open source modifications you do.

Wow. That is good to know. I was under the impression that the whole AOSP was GPL. My bad.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)