Google has decided that Android 7.0 will not be officially supported on Snapdragon 800/801 devices

AlTech
Just now, Matu20 said:

I don't understand how people brick their phones, it only takes a few mouse clicks and most popular phones have toolkits.

apparently i screwed up somewhere in the bootloader and i screwed it up big time.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

It's not like there was a jailbreak exploit that involved opening an app and having / 

you know. 

Not ot like this 0day was from 2012... Or anything. 

Not like it's buggy as fuck.. Or anything..

not like I don't like having a pop up everytime I unlock my phone to update to iOS 9.3.5 or anything..

not like wifi doesn't work half the time and I use a couple hundred mb.. Recently. 

Let me clarify this post? Since your post is mostly incoherent ranting. I'm not really sure what your point is. Could you rephrase everything more clearly?

You've Jailbroken your phone? You know that's the equivalent of rooting it, right? Jailbreaking iOS period is a security risk.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

While that is great, you think a "normal" user is going to have the skills necessary to even understand what a "ROM" is - let alone download and use it?

While I do side with Google in this specific instance, that doesn't change the biggest underlying issue with Android: Google is putting software updates onto the responsibility of the Hardware Vendors, who of course would rather just sell you a new phone.

Having a Community hack an updated ROM is great, but should not be necessary for normal phones.

I agree, the community should not be expected to fix what vendors fail to deliver or the lack of delivery.

3 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I agree, the community should not be expected to fix what vendors fail to deliver or the lack of delivery.

This is one of the biggest advantages that iOS and Windows 10 Mobile have on Android.

But of course, there are pros and cons to each of the mobile OS's, and Android certainly has a lot of benefits.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Let me clarify this post? Since your post is mostly incoherent ranting. I'm not really sure what your point is. Could you rephrase everything more clearly?

You've Jailbroken your phone? You know that's the equivalent of rooting it, right? Jailbreaking iOS period is a security risk.

No point. Basically just me saying iOS is annoying for the updates. Very annoying. 

--

yes I have jailbroken my phone, and I know it has risks, however I have decided to take the risks.. It's not like I download stuff illegally, post illegal stuff or have shady packages installed. If anything I can just use chrome and be protected as that 0day attacks safari with WebKit. Also I enjoy the little things that make the expierence sign iOS way better in my

opinion.. Although now you can side load it. Edit; the one thing I really wanted is YouTube++ on my phone, which is now sideloadable. Otherwise just little ui changes. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

8 minutes ago, terrytek said:

apparently i screwed up somewhere in the bootloader and i screwed it up big time.

Feels bad man :D

I too have softbricked my sister's phone by using a different model recovery, thinking it would not make a huge difference, but it did, bootlooped. Guess you did the same?

But all-in-all, I do suggest looking into it again as it's been made a lot easier with step by step guides. Just make sure you are using the exact model compatible ROM, recovery and kernel. You can't fuck up if you make sure they are compatible.

Just now, Matu20 said:

Feels bad man :D

I too have softbricked my sister's phone by using a different model recovery, thinking it would not make a huge difference, but it did, bootlooped. Guess you did the same?

But all-in-all, I do suggest looking into it again as it's been made a lot easier with step by step guides. Just make sure you are using the exact model compatible ROM, recovery and kernel. You can't fuck up if you make sure they are compatible.

well i'm pretty sure i hard bricked my dad's previous phone (the one i talked about, before he got a oneplus one) trying to find a stock recovery that matched exactly, so i think there's really nothing i can do short of replacing the entire logic board on it.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This is one of the biggest advantages that iOS and Windows 10 Mobile have on Android.

But of course, there are pros and cons to each of the mobile OS's, and Android certainly has a lot of benefits.

Yep, exactly, every option has it's downsides.

1 minute ago, terrytek said:

well i'm pretty sure i hard bricked my dad's previous phone (the one i talked about, before he got a oneplus one) trying to find a stock recovery that matched exactly, so i think there's really nothing i can do short of replacing the entire logic board on it.

Hmm, weird. Recovery should not hard brick a phone.

43 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

While I know you intended this post as a joke, switching to an iPhone as your daily driver is not a problem at all for 99% of users, including most users here on the forums. iOS is a very strong mobile OS, which benefits and drawbacks, just like Google's Android.

My mobile gaming consists of emulators, so I'd fall in the 1% range. 

Considering many SD 800/801 devices haven't even been upgraded to 6.0, I don't think this is an issue that will ultimately change much. If you want data security, Android is/has been the wrong platform, primarily due to fragmentation of both software and hardware. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Matu20 said:

Hmm, weird. Recovery should not hard brick a phone.

apparently i couldn't find the exact stock rom (normally it was off by one keyword or a few numbers) and i accidentally flashed the wrong one and boom, it's all gone wrong.

Just now, terrytek said:

apparently i couldn't find the exact stock rom (normally it was off by one keyword or a few numbers) and i accidentally flashed the wrong one and boom, it's all gone wrong.

That's exactly what I did too, soft brick and bootloop, but I did manage to find a compatible ROM and extract the stock recovery (after a long search). This made me realize that I will never buy a phone without community behind it.

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

That's exactly what I did too, soft brick and bootloop, but I did manage to find a compatible ROM and extract the stock recovery (after a long search). This made me realize that I will never buy a phone without community behind it.

i don't think i'll be able to find the same exact stock recovery ever (it's an italian version with 2 versions of the recovery; ive seemed to flash the wrong one), but i'll keep trying

and i think there's still some hope because i plugged in the phone, and it came up with a white led, which just means a fully discharged battery (oops) so i might be able to reset this process.

I'm pretty sure people over at XDA developers will port it to older devices like the Nexus 5. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Just now, terrytek said:

i don't think i'll be able to find the same exact stock recovery ever (it's an italian version with 2 versions of the recovery; ive seemed to flash the wrong one), but i'll keep trying

and i think there's still some hope because i plugged in the phone, and it came up with a white led, which just means a fully discharged battery (oops) so i might be able to reset this process.

It does not matter what region it is from. I bought mine from Estonia and used an Italian ROM to get the model specific recovery, vendors don't change models.

What phone is it, maybe I can help finding it?

1 minute ago, sof006 said:

I'm pretty sure people over at XDA developers will port it to older devices like the Nexus 5. 

Yep, there are 2 up already, but still WIP.

4 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

It does not matter what region it is from. I bought mine from Estonia and used an Italian ROM to get the model specific recovery, vendors don't change models.

What phone is it, maybe I can help finding it?

it's a motorola droid razr (model number xt910). i mean i would love to try to get at least lollipop on it, or even marshmallow if there's ROMs for the phone, but right now i'm just focused on getting it to stock.

13 minutes ago, terrytek said:

it's a motorola droid razr (model number xt910). i mean i would love to try to get at least lollipop on it, or even marshmallow if there's ROMs for the phone, but right now i'm just focused on getting it to stock.

1. Unlock bootloader

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

2. Download and install CWM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1385283

3. Download ROM and copy it to the SD card (whichever you want)

http://download.mokeedev.com/?device=umts_spyder

https://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=umts_spyder

4. Use CWM to do a factory reset and install the ROM from the SD card

Try this, it should work without any problems.

PS! You need the umts_Spyder versions (European XT910)

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

1. Unlock bootloader

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

2. Download and install CWM

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1385283

3. Download ROM and copy it to the SD card

http://download.mokeedev.com/?device=umts_spyder

4. Use CWM to do a factory reset and install the ROM from the SD card

Try this, it should work without any problems.

i'll try later. i have to charge the phone since it's discharged. but i've already tried once and failed, miserably it seems.

Just now, terrytek said:

i'll try later. i have to charge the phone since it's discharged. but i've already tried once and failed, miserably it seems.

Keep trying, can't hurt more than it has already :D

Huh, I guess that answers why Nexus 5 didn't get the Nougat update.

Just now, Matu20 said:

Keep trying, can't hurt more than it has already :D

i thought i've already hurt it too much already. and i'm considering this phone good as dead. i mean i'm pretty confident it can't be revived.

Just now, terrytek said:

i thought i've already hurt it too much already. and i'm considering this phone good as dead. i mean i'm pretty confident it can't be revived.

If you can still get into the bootloader, then it will be fine.

31 minutes ago, themctipers said:

No point. Basically just me saying iOS is annoying for the updates. Very annoying. 

You're probably the first person to say that (at least in the case of Apple). The fact that they respond and fix it immediately completely escapes your mind. The fact that they still support older devices with tones of new features with each major update escapes your mind? Sheesh

31 minutes ago, themctipers said:

yes I have jailbroken my phone, and I know it has risks, however I have decided to take the risks.. It's not like I download stuff illegally, post illegal stuff or have shady packages installed. If anything I can just use chrome and be protected as that 0day attacks safari with WebKit. Also I enjoy the little things that make the expierence sign iOS way better in my

opinion.. Although now you can side load it. Edit; the one thing I really wanted is YouTube++ on my phone, which is now sideloadable. Otherwise just little ui changes. 

So you basically opened all kinds of Vulnerabilities to avoid one very rare exploit that got patched in less than 20 days. That makes a ton of sense....

If you like customizability or side loading of apps that somehow get rejected in the App Store (obviously due to some violation) then android is for you. But the fact that at least 90% people aren't like you still stands and they would be equally happy with iOS experience if not better

39 minutes ago, themctipers said:

It's not like there was a jailbreak exploit that involved opening an app and having / 

you know. 

Not ot like this 0day was from 2012... Or anything. 

No software designed by humans is perfect. If you really didn't know that, I don't know what to say. Also add to the fact that it was pretty rare (and even jailbreak community didn't know) and Apple immediately fixed it pretty fast. In contrast back in Windows 7 days, I used to remember seeing 40 security updates each week with the description "Fixes vulnerability that gives access to full computer"

Not like it's buggy as fuck.. Or anything..

Buggy? Really? Unless you're using the an 4 year old Apple iDevice with iOS 9, you're lying. Otherwise, c'mon it's a 4 year old device do you expect it to match its speed with the 6S especially given how technology massively improves year after year

not like I don't like having a pop up everytime I unlock my phone to update to iOS 9.3.5 or anything..

A 40MB update is man's worst nightmare. And PS I didn't get a notification for the update. You'll usually only get if you don't update it for a while, not immediately after release

not like wifi doesn't work half the time and I use a couple hundred mb.. Recently. 

A problem specific to you generalizing as a disadvantage to the entire OS? Are you like new to the tech field? There either might be some problem with your router or phone and it can easily happen to any other device

2 hours ago, terrytek said:

-snip-

More like because theyr hardware is ancient nowadays. Sure i understand Nexus 5 users are disapointed because of something not exactly impactful to everyday usage, but then again technology and operating systems move exceedingly faster than human wallets and desires do...

Groomlake Authority