AMD Confirms Key "Summit Ridge" Specs

AMD CEO Lisa Su, speaking at the company's Computex reveal held up the most important CPU product for the company, the new eight-core "Summit Ridge" processor. A posterboy of the company's new "Zen" micro-architecture, "Summit Ridge" is an eight-core processor with SMT enabling 16 threads for the OS to deal with, a massive 40% IPC increase over the current "Excavator" architecture, and a new platform based around the AM4 socket.

The AM4 socket sees AMD completely relocate the core-logic (chipset) to the processor's die. Socket AM4 motherboards won't have any chipset on them. This also means that the processor has an integrated PCI-Express gen 3.0 root complex, besides the DDR4 integrated memory controller. With the chipset being completely integrated, connectivity such as USB and SATA will be routed out of the processor.

If I read this correctly the chipset has been moved to the CPU die. So this could mean that each SKU of "Summit Ridge" and "Bristol Ridge" could have different types and amounts of connectivity.

I don't know if this is a good choice or a poor choice, but we will have to wait.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/223086/amd-confirms-key-summit-ridge-specs

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

If this means what I think it does, there'll be no more decorative motherboard heatsinks except CPU power delivery. South Bridge, North Bridge, GONE. :(

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If this means what I think it does, there'll be no more decorative motherboard heatsinks except CPU power delivery. South Bridge, North Bridge, GONE. :(

But a positive for mini itx boards that now have free space

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

that's the dumbest shit I ever heard

it basically locks down the user's choice and gets obliged to "chose" only what AMD allows

you thought Intel has expensive CPUs, you just wait

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it basically locks down the user's choice and gets obliged to "chose" only what AMD allows

That's the downside I see with this.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

could they not just put separate controllers on the board? i mean im using a 970 board right now that has m.2 and usb 3.1, not to mention the slew of 760g/780g boards that have usb 3.0, despite the fact that the 700 series AMD boards debuted in 2006/07.

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Yeah this Zen series I've been hearing about. I forget the number but they're suppose to release a 8 core 16 thread CPU...I REALLY wonder how it'll stack up to a 5960X.

3 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

could they not just put separate controllers on the board?

if the PCIe lanes are limited how would they do that?

at least Intel has the DMI interconnect on top of the PCIe lanes from the CPU

so its  SOC without the GPU portion basically? if it works i dont really care ( but its not like i didnt realize this from when they first had those zen roadmaps) i remember the same complains when AMD integrated functionality with the A64 and now they are wanting to do it again?  good on them it will either be a master stroke or a complete flop either way the industry will be changed forever

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

That's really cool. Their new APU's/laptop processors has this too:

Bristol%20Ridge%20Tech_FINAL-page-004.jp

I think this is a huge upside for consumers, as you might be able to reuse motherboards more often, unlike Intel, where you almost have to replace your motherboard with each new CPU.

But even more interesting (for me), is that we can get much better ITX boards, with much more stuff on it, as you no longer need to waste space on a chipset. Death to ATX, long live mATX and ITX!

The downside of course could be less overclocking and more expensive CPU's (which should be negated by cheaper motherboards).

Intel already has the northbridge integrated, so why should the even simpler southbridge (chipset) all of the sudden be a problem?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

if the PCIe lanes are limited how would they do that?

at least Intel has the DMI interconnect

well that's true, i don't think AMD has anything official on pcie lanes yet.

4 minutes ago, LeStringMan said:

well that's true, i don't think AMD has anything official on pcie lanes yet.

plus, all the boards would need to be all the same since the manufacturer won't know what CPU you'll chose and in what configuration

or those will be tiered too, meaning the mobos could be locked to a specific CPU range

One pro that hasn't been said in here is that the chipset space can now be used for more M.2 slots without taking space around the PCIe ports.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

basically all boards could look like this:

e0KoAXk.jpg

becasue fuck logic

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

AMD adding functionality to its product 

you forget to mention what is that functionality that would be added

do you recall the Intel X58 recall? what would happen if AMD discovered a fault in one of the controllers that will now be integrated into the CPU ...

riiight .. functionality xD

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you forget to mention what is that functionality that would be added

do you recall the Intel X58 recall? what would happen if AMD discovered a fault in one of the controllers that will now be integrated into the CPU ...

AMD has never stopped motherboard manufacturers from adding 3rd party features. 

the 990fx did not have support for pcie express 3.0 , or usb 3.0.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

5 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

AMD has never stopped motherboard manufacturers from adding 3rd party features. 

the 990fx did not have support for pcie express 3.0 , or usb 3.0.

how would they add additional features if there is no direct interconnect?

good, you connect them to the PCIe lanes, but then you starve the existing connections

---

the PCie gen3 was added via select APUs, not from the chipset - if memory serves

as it stands now, it looks like AMD will not be providing a chipset since .. well .. it's in the bloody CPU

want to add a ThunderBolt card? you'd better know how many PCie lanes you have to spare cuz' otherwise you'd need  a new CPU

33 minutes ago, zMeul said:

plus, it adds multiple failure points in the CPU - un fucking believable 

I would understand the decision to be made on laptops as that's the way they're going right now to save space, but doing this for desktop just seems like a expensive idea if something goes wrong. I'm afraid that cpus will cost more than intel counterpart, which is not what amd wants if they are talking about equal performance

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The processor becoming a SOC?

Extrapolate AMD's direction and we'll be getting smaller computing devices with full fledged desktop capability.

It would lower total cost, allowing AMD based systems to gain dominance in the laptop/console market.

You know AMD wasn't on crack when it decided to do this, because otherwise it would have been an APU as well.

I'd like you to explain to me how making a SoC for desktop is a good idea in the 1st place

it's a good idea for mobile and specific applications since in those cases it's a single use implementation that will die exactly as it was sold

this is completely contrary to the PC desktop philosophy that exists today where the user has the choice to customize his build

AMD wants to build consoles? nop .. go right ahead - let's see how many fall for it

I bet Intel is laughing their asses off right now - and you know what's sad .. Intel will most likely slowly retreat from the consumer market because AMD isn't even trying to compete

that's why we see ~2k$ CPUs - and things will get worse

21 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Exactly, INTEL RECALL. Tell me, when was the last AMD recall that you can remember? I can't remember if they had any, so statistically Intel had more. What would happen if it would happen. What would happen if AMD has no faults on their upcoming CPUs? Now look at this, nothing. Jesus Christ, you're just fantasising about things against AMD for the sole reason of doing it. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I can't believe people are getting so pissy because their motherboards will be more compact and won't have fucking heatsinks. Functionality over aesthetics. If you don't like it choose something else.

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

you missed the point by a solar system and then some

my point was adding multiple points of failure in the CPU - I already have a problem with Intel adding iGPs in the CPUs because of that

USB controllers broken because of faulty peripherals, and other shit like that - do you understand that AMD will plant these inside the CPU

it's insanity

53 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

But that means I can have my mITX platform :)