AMD Confirms Key "Summit Ridge" Specs

So... why do you care? Go buy Intel... you have the choice to ignore their noise but instead you are here talking about a product that hasn't had a full release nor is it in the market yet... 

8 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Exactly, INTEL RECALL. Tell me, when was the last AMD recall that you can remember? I can't remember if they had any, so statistically Intel had more. What would happen if it would happen. What would happen if AMD has no faults on their upcoming CPUs? Now look at this, nothing. Jesus Christ, you're just fantasising about things against AMD for the sole reason of doing it. 

just because they haven't had any fails in which they had to recall parts doesn't mean it wont happen

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

8 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you missed the point by a solar system and then some

my point was adding multiple points of failure in the CPU - I already have a problem with Intel adding iGPs in the CPUs because of that

USB controllers broken because of faulty peripherals, and other shit like that - do you understand that AMD will plant these inside the CPU

it's insanity

Look at it from the bright side, you might be able to use the existing MBO, which you bought for quite a bit, with few generations of CPUs since everything will be on the chip. You might not be forced to upgrade like you have to do with Intel every few years. If they manage to do that.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, themaniac said:

just because they haven't had any fails in which they had to recall parts doesn't mean it wont happen

Doesn't mean it will either. It can happen to everyone, and it may happen to no one. Figuratively speaking.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

You still choose your mobo

that does what?!

I want extra PCIe lanes, I can chose a chipset; I want RAID, I chose chipset that allows RAID

I want dual gig NICs, how is that mobo gonna provide all that?

And now the mobo can be made simpler, cheaper, smaller

how is this a benefit?

cheap mobo -> expensive CPU - where is the benefit?

6 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

But that means I can have my mITX platform :)

Mini-ITX with an AM4 socket CPU...didn't think of that, it might require a daughter board just for power delivery though. 6+2 phase 8+2 phase etc...

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Mini-ITX with an AM4 socket CPU...didn't think of that, it might require a daughter board just for power delivery though. 6+2 phase 8+2 phase etc...

Well if they keep the TDP down then I see no problem.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

that's the dumbest shit I ever heard

it basically locks down the user's choice and gets obliged to "chose" only what AMD allows

you thought Intel has expensive CPUs, you just wait

That doesn't really make that much sense. You will be locked down nontheless, by the socket instead.

That is not the reason why Intel has expensive CPUs, and you know that. The system cost should actually go down (doesn't have to, AMD could keep the extra pennies for themselves).

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

plus, it adds multiple failure points in the CPU - un fucking believable 

Is this the point you want to argue? AMD, Intel and Nvidia implemented methods to avoid failure points in the different controllers.

The failure points still exist without it been integrated, there are actually even more ways it can fail the old way.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

Can I get an 8-core, 16-thread with an iGPU and a crap ton of cache?  Like hundreds of megs worth of cache?  That'd be great.  

I'm honestly torn about this information.  Zen will end up competing with Kabylake(Q3-2016) and Skylake-E when that comes out in Q1/Q2 2017, and that means a very hard choice.  

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The SOC approach could eliminate the price difference between say, a H81 and Z97 mobo.

SoC, do you know those smart phones and notebooks you toss once they get wonky?!

you'd be torn between paying 300-500 repair bill with no guarantee of how much it would continue to work, or .. paying for a new one

that's what AMD seems to be doing one time use CPUs

No chipset.... cool.

That'll definitely add more bandwidth between the CPU and the north and south bridges!

Yay for no DMI bottleneck (well not as much of one)! 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, ozziestig said:

If I read this correctly the chipset has been moved to the CPU die. So this could mean that each SKU of "Summit Ridge" and "Bristol Ridge" could have different types and amounts of connectivity.

I don't know if this is a good choice or a poor choice, but we will have to wait.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/223086/amd-confirms-key-summit-ridge-specs

This is NOTHING special. This has been the case for a while.

See, here is what's happened.  When AMD launched the FX-8150 (the original bulldozer CPU) they realized that their architecture really only work well in lower power scenarios, (like with their APU line up).  They went on ahead and launched the FX-8350 (the second in that generation "Piledriver") simply because they could just shove more power through the CPU and get higher clock speeds and still compete with Intel at the time (remember the Piledriver competed with 3rd generation Core series i5 CPUs).  Around this time AMD went on ahead and said that they will not be continuing their "Enthusiast level" platform and gave the AMD Enthusiast one last launch with the FX-9590.

After this moment in time AMD has been focusing on the A series CPU's, otherwise known as APU's.  Notice how AMD has still been producing CPU's they just haven't been what "most people" are use to.  AMD is STRICTLY focused on the entry and mid level users in their current product lineup.  With the advent of Llano, Trinity, and Richland (The first 3 generations of APUs, which were launched while AMD was still servicing the AMD Enthusiast) they moved more and more items on the chip.  As of Kaveri, it is a full SoC and the ONLY things that are done outside of the chip are extra benefits the motherboard manufacture wants to do.

Now, getting to my point, AM4 is not (let me be perfectly clear here, IS NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, FORM, AND/OR FASSION) a iteration on the AM3 socket.  It is simply a name given to the socket itself for Bristol Ridge which is a iteration of the same platform you will currently see in FM2 socket based designs.

In other words this following statement is true:

AM3 is to Piledriver, as FM2 is to Kaveri, as a 'theoretical' FM3 socket is to AM4.

Now I hope this isn't too confusing as I kinda bounced around a bit, but I think I made my point.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Typical zMeul being openly loud again, calm down bias, you are uncalled for.

AMD failed with Bulldozer, barely did anything with Zambezi, ZEN is looking to change all that, lower cost motherboards is a plus, it might not be for the mega enthusiast, but look at where AMD has been for a long time now, mid to low tier purchases... FFS cut them a break, they are at least trying to give the consumer a new product that is better than previous unlike Bulldozer who failed to Phenom II's.

40% over Excavator put's it just under Skylake cores, which is very impressive, 8 cores and 16 threads is also highly sexy, call me biased all you want but my XEON was just a cheap stop gap from my old Core i3 first gen and my 580 is old as a wet dog that was buried 19 years ago after the sudden heat wave.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Ah even more assumptions...

You seem unnaturally pessimistic about all this 

because I actually wanted ZEN to be competitive, I'm gravely disappointed in this news

as I said in a previous post, I do not like even the existence of a iGP in Intel's CPUs - it is a point of failure and a component I do not have use for

47 minutes ago, zMeul said:

how would they add additional features if there is no direct interconnect?

good, you connect them to the PCIe lanes, but then you starve the existing connections

---

the PCie gen3 was added via select APUs, not from the chipset - if memory serves

as it stands now, it looks like AMD will not be providing a chipset since .. well .. it's in the bloody CPU

want to add a ThunderBolt card? you'd better know how many PCie lanes you have to spare cuz' otherwise you'd need  a new CPU

Then dont buy it. AMD's not exactly going to miss anything if you dont. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

because I actually wanted ZEN to be competitive, I'm gravely disappointed in this news

as I said in a previous post, I do not like even the existence of a iGP in Intel's CPUs - it is a point of failure and a component I do not have use for

I swear you have problems reading or you are just an incredibly bad troll, maybe so biased you can't see your own short comings?

ZEN is 40% faster per core than Excavator, do some maths for once instead of speculating BS, Haswell is where it lands.

let us all remember now and today, computers do not like abuse, they will fight back!

Old Skool KILLBOX. XEON E5640 4.0ghz / ASUS P6X58D-E ~ Noctua NH-L12 ~ eVGA GTX 670 SC 2GB 1312/7000 ~ 4TB 7200 RPM RAID0 ~ CoolerMaster Haf 922 ~ DELL P214H 23" 1080 IPS 2ms ~ HP w2007v 1680x1050. Now Playing: Splinter Cell OG XBOX / CSGO PC

Original XBOX - Xecuter 2 4981.67 Bios. Playstation 2 Slim SCPH-70002. Sega Dreamcast. N64

1 minute ago, hex4 said:

ZEN is 40% faster per core than Excavator, do some maths for once instead of speculating BS, Haswell is where it lands.

do you even .. you know .. read?!

ZEN can be the same perf as Kaby Lake when it launches - I still have no use for a SoC on a desktop; I'm not buying a mobile phone nor a laptop, do you get that?

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

ZEN can be the same perf as Kaby Lake when it launches - I still have no use for a SoC on a desktop; I'm not buying a mobile phone nor a laptop, do you get that?

What makes it any different?

All most of us want is functional performance.

Just for you!

What is an SoC?

An SoC, or system-on-a-chip to give its full name, integrates almost all of these components into a single silicon chip. Along with a CPU, an SoC usually contains a GPU (a graphics processor), memory, USB controller, power management circuits, and wireless radios (WiFi, 3G, 4G LTE, and so on). Whereas a CPU cannot function without dozens of other chips, it’s possible to build complete computers with just a single SoC.

So the CPU will have additional features and you are mad over this? bruh cry more.

Then dont, most people dont care. Most people just buy a cpu, and a motherboard and a gpu. And they just expect it to work. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

3 minutes ago, hex4 said:

I swear you have problems reading or you are just an incredibly bad troll, maybe so biased you can't see your own short comings?

there is no concrete proof that ZEN is actually going to be 40% faster per core all we have is AMD's word which is just as trust worthy as Intel's and NVidia's word

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Why would you even care if the controllers are placed on the motherboard or on the chip itself?

Why do you associate SoC with mobile phone or laptops but not servers?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

there is no concrete proof that ZEN is actually going to be 40% faster per core all we have is AMD's word which is just as trust worthy as Intel's and NVidia's word

I trust them, you really think they will pull this off again?

Gosh, you're cute when you're angry.

Then just don't buy it. Problem solved. I'm sure we're all gonna be super happy about that decision. I have a feeling you're a horrible customer anyway; the "let me speak to the manager"-kind. The one you would rather not have to deal with.

2 minutes ago, hex4 said:

I trust them, you really think they will pull this off again?

go ahead and trust them, just dont go saying that it will do what they say it will without concrete proof

Spoiler